Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Latest Flying Scotsman tat

steve1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, franciswilliamwebb said:

That week by week builds into a pile of shhhhhhhteam memorabilia🙄

Fortunately this one was sold out or I might have been tempted.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, AY Mod said:

OK, so how should websites pay the bills?

Come on, Andy, have you never had cause to grumble about the advertising department on here?

A mildly humerous observation, nothing more!

CJI.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, 97406 said:

Viz comic does a great line in sending up this sort of tackiness, normally based on the Franklin Mint. 

As soon as I saw this viz came to mind

Theirs is called danglebury mint, love reading the small print on their ads. I remember one after some mind boggling finance deal it said may the Lord have mercy on my soul, take me down 🤣

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• Moderators
31 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

have you never had cause to grumble about the advertising department on here?

Daily. But not the advertising folk as such; more the implementation of it which falls under the IT department and the impact on user experience. At least you have someone defending against it; try and find one of those on a newspaper website.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

50 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

try and find one of those on a newspaper website.

Try and find the content on a newspaper website...

I have just read an article in the June 1960 edition of Trains Illustrated titled "the Gresley class A3 Pacifics". Flying Scotsmen was so unimportant in those days that it does not get any mention at all in the article. It was just another ordinary member of a class of useful but average express locos. It only became iconic when Mr Pegler hyped it up to an importance it never had in actual service. The Flying Scotsman express train was iconic but the Flying Scotsman loco appears to have been rather mundane and was certainly no flagship once the A4s had appeared. The first conversion from A1 to A3 happened in 1928 but the Flying Scotsman loco didn't get upgraded from A1 to A3 until 1947. I think this just shows how iconic this loco really was when it was part of the LNER fleet.

It seems the general public will happily lap up any old tales they are told, and part with good money for tat.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Chris M said:

I have just read an article in the June 1960 edition of Trains Illustrated titled "the Gresley class A3 Pacifics". Flying Scotsmen was so unimportant in those days that it does not get any mention at all in the article. It was just another ordinary member of a class of useful but average express locos. It only became iconic when Mr Pegler hyped it up to an importance it never had in actual service. The Flying Scotsman express train was iconic but the Flying Scotsman loco appears to have been rather mundane and was certainly no flagship once the A4s had appeared. The first conversion from A1 to A3 happened in 1928 but the Flying Scotsman loco didn't get upgraded from A1 to A3 until 1947. I think this just shows how iconic this loco really was when it was part of the LNER fleet.

It seems the general public will happily lap up any old tales they are told, and part with good money for tat.

It has some significance due to being the first loco to be officially confirmed to have passed 100 mph but I've never understood the current level of obsession with it. When it comes to LNER locomotives I'm personally more interested in seeing the sole surviving definitely mundane J21 working again some day.

• Like 2

Flying Scotsman is "iconic" because it suits the NRM for it to be so.

It should also be remembered that until the Moneypit fell into their hands, City of Truro was the NRMs candidate for "the first to 100" .  All the official stuff for FS is their spin.

Edited by Hroth
A bit extra
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Hroth said:

Flying Scotsman is "iconic" because it suits the NRM to be so.

It should also be remembered that until the Moneypit fell into their hands, City of Truro was the NRMs candidate for "the first to 100" .  All the official stuff for FS is their spin.

I thought City of Truro was probably the first to exceed it, but that was based on stopwatch timings of the mileposts from someone on board, rather than accurately calibrated measuring equipment installed specifically for that purpose, making it fair to say that City of Truro was probably (to quite a high degree of probably) the first, but Flying Scotsman the first to beyond any reasonable doubt.

12 hours ago, 30801 said:

Screenshot2024-04-22at23_14_17.png.adc5c15d8fa62a38d9f7e7afcfbbcffb.png

Is it DCC ready?

Anyway I would buy one to:

a) eat the silver foil wrapped chocolate coin on the smokebox

b) strip it for the motor

c) recycle the rest via the bin where it belongs

Edited by CFL
forgot a bit

22 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Why 4,999 as the number available and not 5,000?

Perhaps they don't count the one in their rogues gallery, to show what mugs buy.

Obviously number 1 was a prototype, it was subsequently scrapped. Possibly the rest will be stripped, fitted with a new dial then reintroduced as another rare chance to own blah blah blah.

• RMweb Premium

37 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Flying Scotsman is "iconic" because it suits the NRM for it to be so.

I get rather tired of the Waah! that Flying Scotsman attracts.  It's the only A3 that made it into preservation and without it we'd have none of Gresley's original Pacifics (insert arguments about it's not an A1 here).

34 minutes ago, Reorte said:

It has some significance due to being the first loco to be officially confirmed to have passed 100 mph but I've never understood the current level of obsession with it. When it comes to LNER locomotives I'm personally more interested in seeing the sole surviving definitely mundane J21 working again some day.

Picked this post as most convenient.

Only officially and only because it was a train that had a Dynamometer Car behind it, so they were looking to confirm the record. It is estimated numerous locomotives were exceeding 100 MPH well before the 1900s. Worth bearing in mind most didn't have anyone timing them and they certainly didn't have speedometers. It is known that Broad Gauge engines were exceeding 90 MPH in the 1880s.

They reckon the L&Y Highflyers were reaching similar speeds on the lightweight expresses.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%26YR_Class_7

Also worth bearing in mind that Charles Rous-Marten had nothing to gain from his timings apart from writing a few articles in magazines.

If the LNER disputed City Of Truro's claim to fame, why did they buy it and put it in their museum with a plaque saying it was the first locomotive to reach 100 MPH!

Jason

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris M said:

To be fair, most of it's fame came from it being used as an advertising exhibit at Wembley. So was known. Maybe there is some claim for Victor Wild to have been just as significant as that was the one used in the Locomotive Exchanges.

Quite noticeable it wasn't picked as a locomotive for the 1925 S&D centenary even though virtually everything else was there. The A1 picked was William Whitelaw.

https://www.railwaywondersoftheworld.com/railway_centenary.html

Quite sad looking at some of the locomotive types that didn't survive on that list.

Jason

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, Ramrig said:

Latest Steam Railway magazine arrived this morning with this offering for £99.96 + P & P. 
Again only 4 ,999 available so best get in there quickly for more exclusive Tat!!!

IMG_0645.jpeg.c293d6de4032d15917992ae07271d650.jpeg

I wonder how much extra the tender will be 😂

It looks like it's made from painted coal!

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, steve1 said:

Had any RMWebber ever met anyone who had actually laid out real money on any of this junk fine selection of treasurable products?

steve

Is anyone going to admit it, so they can be shamed here, on this thread?

It will be like some of the eBay sites in 'eBay Madness', everyone laughs, but the sellers keep going and counting their loot.

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Deeps said:

I have made it clear to all family members and friends that when it comes to birthdays etc. they must resist the temptation to buy me something railway related and just get me some book or garden tokens.

I occasionally drop subtle hints about certain railwayana artefacts that I think would improve the ambiance of our lounge but the wife thinks I have lost the plot. Consequently, I acquire these items surreptitiously and am obliged to keep them effectively hidden in the garage. At least I know I have them and, as I constantly remind the wife when she complains about my collection of ‘scrap iron’, they will still be valuable after I die.

Of course, there will be the usual question ‘what do you want for your birthday/christmas’ to which I reply “I’ve had it on pre-order for two years’.

Exactly the type of person that would keep his purchases from Bradford a secret!

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Flying Pig said:

Fortunately this one was sold out or I might have been tempted.

That's not fair to the late David Shepherd, who was well known for his paintings of both railway locomotives and wildlife, especially African.

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, CFL said:

Is it DCC ready?

Anyway I would buy one to:

a) eat the silver foil wrapped chocolate coin on the smokebox

b) strip it for the motor

c) recycle the rest via the bin where it belongs

150 quid to dismantle it? You must have more money than sense!

• Round of applause 1

On 22/04/2024 at 08:11, steve1 said:

Here it comes again, another cynical attempt to screw money out of gullible punters. 

Or is it just a wind up…😆

steve

9C66CB35-54F1-4C00-8847-E70CAB3294FD.jpeg

In the small print it says: 'I understand if I am not completely satisfied I have been had'

• Funny 6

41 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

150 quid to dismantle it? You must have more money than sense!

Many a true word...

• Agree 1