Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

I freely confess I've had a few mishaps with my model railway controller, in the privacy in my own home. Turnng the volume up, when it should have been down, but nobody was around to witness the ensuing collisions.

But in real life, and on camera? Oh dear!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

but nothing compares to this - which I have also done on my railway in the privacy of my own home...

Edited by ikcdab
  • Like 6

17 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

I freely confess I've had a few mishaps with my model railway controller, in the privacy in my own home. Turnng the volume up, when it should have been down, but nobody was around to witness the ensuing collisions.

Good job it did bounce off those buffers.  If it hadn't, you would have had to post this on the level crossing madness thread instead, because the very busy Station Road is just beyond the stops. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, ikcdab said:

but nothing compares to this - which I have also done on my railway in the privacy of my own home...

Yeah, they did everything correctly for passing the signal at danger aside from checking the route!

Didn't occur to anyone that the reason the bobby couldn't clear the signal was that the traps were still normal.  I had a bobby try and do the same thing to me at Goathland a few years ago when we wanted to move the goods set that I had spent all week preparing and tidying up, many rude words were said to him quite loudly.  That's the problem with galas though, people do moves they aren't used to doing and in some cases roster clerks put people in who only come once in a blue moon rather than the regulars out a strange sense of fairness and then wonder why galas go wrong!

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

And the main line equivalent in the region (from about 1:25 in):

Edited by Cruachan
  • Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

One theory, and there is evidence in the videos, is that the drivers realised that they weren't go to stop in time and got the engines into the opposite gear and gave them steam, which is why they accelerated away the way they did. This would also have reduced the impact with the stop blocks. In normal circumstances the loco always wins and doesn't need to be moving particularly fast to relocate or demolish them.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

The B1 seemed to have an aversion to The Fine City  in the early 2000's as I travelled on a run from Liverpool St on 10th November 2001 which was supposed to carry on to Lowestoft and then return via the East Suffolk Line.  However the B1 aquired a hot box on the outward run to Norwich and we ended up with this.....

r01-744.jpg.1f7b2b116c39d8dfe56d4ac05a5f57b0.jpg

The 67 wasn't passed to run via the East Suffolk, so we had to return via Norwich (Wensum Curve), though whoever was in Control that day added interest to the return trip by routeing us through lots of little used loops and other lines on the way back!

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

8 minutes ago, birdseyecircus said:

Or this at the East Lancs...

Paul

Ooh, they'll be needing the big roll of gaffer tape on that.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

It is puzzling that these incidents clearly 'happen' to people who, far from being uncaring employees scraping the company van, are proudly following a favourite hobby. I feel genuinely sorry for them and can imagine the anguish. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 12

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, birdseyecircus said:

Or this at the East Lancs...

Paul

One of my Shunters did that when parting a couple of News Siphons - forgot to unclip the gangways.  Far more impressive result in his case as neither gangway was badly damaged and they remained together - but it did pul the complete end off one of the Siphons.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 13
  • Friendly/supportive 2

2 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

I feel genuinely sorry for them and can imagine the anguish. 

And I can imagine the "English"!

One wonders why a preserved line needs to connect the corridor tender of an A4 in the first place.

Crew change at Ramsbottom?

• Agree 3
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

It is puzzling that these incidents clearly 'happen' to people who, far from being uncaring employees scraping the company van, are proudly following a favourite hobby. I feel genuinely sorry for them and can imagine the anguish. 

Some of them are as I mentioned people doing unfamiliar things in a job which they only do a couple of days a month.

J15 was down to distracted crew misjudging their permission, GCR incident was down to the bobby not being able to pull the signal and not realising that the reason the traps were still normal which was why the lever was locked in the frame, no idea what the B1 crew were doing!  The standard gangway and the green thing was caused by two thirds of the clip back hook being broken off (and booked multiple times) and it would vibrate out and release the gangway, this time it did it and fouled the Pullman gangway on the A4 tender which nobody noticed when they uncoupled.

Just now, Michael Hodgson said:

And I can imagine the "English"!

One wonders why a preserved line needs to connect the corridor tender of an A4 in the first place.

Crew change at Ramsbottom?

It's a standard gangway vs. Pullman gangway, they aren't compatible without an adaptor.

• Informative/Useful 6

Hit a gate that wasn't secured properly once....

😐

They often came loose in very windy weather. No passengers were involved and very few people would have had the means to make videos back then. Even if they did I doubt that You've Been Framed would have been interested.

It certainly wouldn't have been worth £250!

Jason

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Boris said:

... It's a standard gangway vs. Pullman gangway, they aren't compatible without an adaptor.

M32978M obviously works with Mk1s most of the time so I don't doubt the gangways have adaptors .......... difficult to tell from the mangled remains, though !

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

One of my f*ckups in the 70s was shunting a Freightliner out at the old Pengam yard in Cardiff.  The headshunt, up the bank alongside the Tidal branch, could take a loco and 3 sets, 15 flats, but one would sometimes pull out of the yard with 4 sets on as the yard wanted to move the trailing set up to 'this' end.  Doing such a move one day, on a 47, driver hadn't changed ends (we didn't, much, in those days) and I'm in the 2man's seat with the window down relaying the shunter's handsignals (shunter is under the road bridge and I can see him well enough), so the loco is effectively running backwards in terms of the cab it was being driven from.  Slight bump as we came to a stand and I noticed we were quite close to the 15-wagon indicator postion light.

I had a pretty good idea what I'd done, and got off the loco driver's side to confirm my suspicions; we'd pushed the stop back far enough to isolate the other end bogie on it's own private bit of railway with a gap of clear trackbed between the bogies.  My fault and I felt duly guilty, but of course the driver had to take the blame for not changing ends; he never heard anything more about it but I have no idea how the thing was covered up!  But it was end of sports for several hours while the Per.Way. sent a flatbed lorry out with a couple of blokes, some sleepers, chairs, and some rail to rescue the isolated bogie.  I was so fixated on the shunters' handsignals that I forgot to look where I was going.  Embarrassing, and a lesson learned.

With a train stopped across the yard throat, there was quite a bit of knock-on effect to FLT services from Cardiff for the rest of that day, especially the Swansea traffic.

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

4 hours ago, The Johnster said:

we'd pushed the stop back far enough to isolate the other end bogie on it's own private bit of railway with a gap of clear trackbed between the bogies.

Which such wonderful powers of description, Sir Johnster, you really ought to write a book of all these anecdotes!! 👍👍👌😁

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

I did run a series of 'Confessions of a Canton Goods Guard' series here, which included the above incident.  Also, illicit sex on the mailbags on a 120 at Severn Tunnel Jc, being shot by a psychotic driver, August Bank Holiday fun on 116s to Barry Island, and much more...

It was, as I'm often reminded by mates still in the job, a fferent railway in those days, and in many ways a different and more generally easy-going world.  My career was from 1970 to 1979, an odd period in railway history with one foot in the past (loose-coupled goods trains, brake vans) and one in the future (HSTs).  Morale was at a nadir when I started, the railway reeling from Beeching, stupifying job losses, equally stupifying cash losses which the job losses were supposed to stem, and being a national joke.  But some of the old railway survived, including the management attitude that if you looked after the men, they'l look after you, so incidents like this, which would result in a full internal inquiry nowadays, were usually sorted out by people calling in favours, at least so long as nobody'd been hurt or claim-resulting damage done.  Pay was inadequate, hours unbelievable, and conditions dreadful, but the cameraderie was matchless and the job was huge fun; you had to do something seriously stupid or reckless to get into trouble.  Some people still did, of course, like one of my link colleagues who spent three hours in the staff club at Temple Meads and tw*tted the station manager out on the platform when the man had the temerity to claim he was in no state to work the 23.05 back to Cardiff!  I was in the vicinity at the time and worked it back for him.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

M32978M obviously works with Mk1s most of the time so I don't doubt the gangways have adaptors .......... difficult to tell from the mangled remains, though !

Looks like the adaptor clip flying off and landing on the track (after putting a bend in the A4's gangway in the process)

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

incidents like this, which would result in a full internal inquiry nowadays, were usually sorted out by people calling in favours, at least so long as nobody'd been hurt or claim-resulting damage done

Was just going to say, even from anecdotes on RMWeb, there were obviously plenty of incidents which didn't get reported - no casualties and not too much damage? Then just get it sorted as best/quickly as possible and save everyone a load of hassle & paperwork.

If the high-ups didn't hear about it, it didn't happen and The Job gets back to normal more quickly - although, no doubt, the guilty party would never hear the end of it (and may even get a nickname/reputation for the rest of their life!😄)

Edited by keefer
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2

5 minutes ago, keefer said:

Looks like the adaptor clip flying off and landing on the track (after putting a bend in the A4's gangway in the process)

No, that's part of the standard gangway, there is no adapter in use there.

A standard gangway has 2 positions, stowed and in use.  Stowed it is pushed back against the coach end and held in place by two retaining hooks shaped like big cabin hooks, in the in use position it is unclipped pulled forward maybe 6 inches or so and clamped to the similarly extended gangway of the joining vehicle, the gangways are then clamped together with the large clip that gets launched down the track (one each side).  What has happened here is the bottom two thirds of one of the stowage hooks has broken off and so only on third was holding the nearest side in place.  With the motion of the train the nearside of the standard gangway has come unstowed and swung round so that the retaining clamp has got hooked around the buffing plate on the Pullman gangway of the loco tender.  

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for that Boris, always thought that bit was part of the adaptor and the normal BS/BS 'clip' was just a locating pin or similar.