Blue Pullman

aguynamedsid

I have very reliable information from Margate that the Blue Pullman tools have been shipped to China.

Assuming that they would be decorated to the usual high standard and had a modern mechanism I wonder who would be still interested in the Heljan example already announced. The price would be a fraction of a super detailed model.

from model rails facebook page:

Model Rail magazine Rumour of the day: Sources close to Hornby have reported that the company is to dig the old Tri-ang Blue Pullman tools out of storage for examination.

Some of the responses to that certainly back up that some will be happy with old rope!

I thought it was 'on good authority' that the tools were knackered? If not, will someone lend me a big hammer?

• RMweb Gold

Some of the responses to that certainly back up that some will be happy with old rope!

I thought it was 'on good authority' that the tools were knackered? If not, will someone lend me a big hammer?

I take it that response can provide an answer to my question so.

I take it that response can provide an answer to my question so.

The power car is decent enough but the normal bogies weren't correct and they didn't do the kitchen car. Don't forget this is all only for one type of the Pullman anyway.

I'd rate it 'Lima Deltic' level.

If the Kitmaster tooling had survived then that would have been a good start to a decent kit range.

• RMweb Gold

The power car is decent enough but the normal bogies weren't correct and they didn't do the kitchen car. Don't forget this is all only for one type of the Pullman anyway.

I'd rate it 'Lima Deltic' level.

If the Kitmaster tooling had survived then that would have been a good start to a decent kit range.

Both the power and parlour car are a bit under scale length as well. The quality of the moulding on the power car is top notch, though, even with the incorrect nose profile. I'm looking forward to getting cracking on my BP upgrade project.

The above by Craig matches what SK had to say three years ago: it's a 1960s standard item, and that only if the tools aren't rusty or pitted, and it would need investment in the way of a new chassis and mechanism design; (and as we also all know it is only two vehicles from the three needed for the Midland Pullman version only).

But, look at it another way: if the tools are useable, and if there is an existing mechanism layout design that fits so that it is just the cosmetic parts for the bogies, it might be a relatively low cost opportunity that can be got out quickly to sell on the back of the excitement from the Olivia's/Heljan announcement. Hornby must have a decent amount of information now on how all the similar pleading for Lima re-issues has translated into sales. Since there are a couple more in this year's catalogue in the form of the 40 and 33, the thought occurs that they must find it worthwhile...

just hope, that if this is true, then they opt for the older coach moulding with removeable windows for easy(ish) buffet car conversions. this is a brave and bold step and proves, if true, that they do listen to customers. ok so its not 100% new and all singing, but we will have one, at a reasonable price with plenty to detail.

hey whats happening over there??? oh its chris leigh dusting off his white metal cab toolings..........wink.gif

These Blue Pullmans seem to be like buses, none for ages and then 2 turn up ! biggrin.gif

Yes, Gary, just like buses - but don't forget that as yet, NONE have actually turned up. They may be 'round the corner', but we can't see them yet!

Richard

• RMweb Gold

Yes, Gary, just like buses - but don't forget that as yet, NONE have actually turned up. They may be 'round the corner', but we can't see them yet!

Richard

Lets hope the "Service" does not get cancelled then wink.gif

Wasn't the Tri-ang model just a WR power car (2nd class) and a 1st class parlour car (suitable for both WR and LMR versions)?

... and, as has been intimated, the parlour car at least was of underscale length.

No doubt Railroad customers will welcome the old Tri-ang model with open arms, but I suspect that the market for cutting edge scale models will be far more lucrative.

That said, I'm sticking with my Kitmaster rake until I see something else that justifies the price!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Guest jim s-w

Oooh Goody

After all the years of 'we want' now their might be 2 options. Surely theres nothing left to froth about until the models appear? :rolleyes:

Cheers

Jim

Oooh Goody

After all the years of 'we want' now their might be 2 options. Surely theres nothing left to froth about until the models appear? :rolleyes:

Cheers

Jim

Well I still wish Hornby had actually taken a gamble for once and done a proper new one themselves... Its very much a case of see what the competition does first..

Oh and as for cancelled service... Nah, it'll be an Oxford dicast bus in blue with white window surrounds that would turn up instead..;)

I am very surprised that this information has leaked out from Hornby as they usually give nothing away so it must be a deliberate leak, but why? Maybe to gauge interest perhaps?

mark

More of an old potato than a leek - I suspect it's no more than a rumour Mark! There doesn't appear to have been any official confirmation....

Joking aside I do wonder the facination in this train. It was a very short lived train with limited routes. The Heljan one if done well will be very expensive and if the rumour mill is correct then the Hornby one cheap and cheerful.

Archived