Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Painting Preiser figures - what paint?

Now as I do not seem to get any results in Search for something I KNOW I've seen in the last few days....

Somebody has painted over a 120 Preiser/Prieser seated figures....

What primers are recommended and what is a suitable colour for skin (face) tones for figures seated behind glass in coaches... please.

Penlan

• RMweb Premium

When i've painted preiser figures I haven't used a primer. The plastic will accept oil based or water based paints.

I have used Humbrol flesh colour for skin, which can have other colours to lighten or darken the skin colour.

There are various other brands that do flesh colours.

As stated, Games Workshop is a good place to start, the paints are also available in some model shops. They do a good choice of skin tones. I always use acrylics and never prime plastic figures.

Skin tones.......always tricky.

I now use brown or light tan let down with white.

Looks far more realistic than 'flesh' which is to yellowy for me (looks like a dead body!).

Worse is those horrible 'pink' flesh tones!

I havent re painted Preisers, but got a pack here of unpainted white hard plastic so think any of the above would work.

• RMweb Gold

I can also recommend Vallejo (Modelcolor) acrylics - I find these have good covering ability and are very richly pigmented and dry fast. I do use a primer from the same range though.

http://www.vallejopaints.co.uk/

Also available at some branches of Antics although I haven't.tried them myself yet.

http://www.anticsonline.co.uk/1605_1.html

Many thanks for the suggestions so far - the figures (seated) are for coaches, I feel the 4mm ones look far to big in coaches and the heads seem to be to high relative to the bottom of the windows. Thus I've chosen the 3.5mm Preiser figures.

It seems some of the existing figures (30+ years old) may need a touch up as well, Stubby47's close up at http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_10_2009/post-7025-12569376244823.jpg is a bit embarrassing - that's the trouble with digital photography.

Penlan

Dark grey primer and any old paint that is handy!!! mainly acrylics for figures, art shop types are fine, a cheap set of Chinese will give a full set of all possible colours. Finish with a durable varnish to taste. I use Testors Dullcote, or Ronseal satin varnish

A tip from Military painting experts is to paint pure black as the base, and then add colour layers, and patches, leaving the the black finish in the shadows, military figure painters use this idea, giving more modelling to the paintwork, but frankly it only works down to 7mm figures, 4mm figures are just too small to get the full benefit.

For skin tone, mix to match the back of your hand in the light that the figure is to be viewed in, it works well. Start with white plus red, and add yellow and then tone down with black, and the shade should look 100%. Paint a streak across the back of the hand and see if it matches, quite safe with acrylics!

For faces the colour should be adjusted for the highlights with extra red/white/yellow etc., and dry brushed with white to pick out the detail like the nose. Hands are usually darker richer shades than the face.

The 3.5 mm Preiser figures are not very detailed anyway, the moulding is a bit plain, and for close up detail you will have to paint it on. Copies of the figures are on the market from Hong Kong suppliers in several scales. I suspect they are moulded in the Far East for Preiser anyway.

Stephen.

• RMweb Gold

A tip from Military painting experts is to paint pure black as the base, and then add colour layers, and patches, leaving the the black finish in the shadows, military figure painters use this idea, giving more modelling to the paintwork, but frankly it only works down to 7mm figures, 4mm figures are just too small to get the full benefit.

Glad to hear you say that last bit, I've been experimenting with this technique in 4mm and had high hopes for it, but the results didn't quite make it seem worth it. Thought it was just me!

Archived