Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Creative Photography (Railway Related)

Ian J.

• RMweb Premium

To photograph a train passing at 100mph+ you need to have a shutter speed no slower than 1/500th second, preferably 1/1000th second. But that means a wide aperture for other than bright sunlight. So pre-focus on the area where the train's front will be in your picture and watch through the SLR viewfinder before pressing the button. I'm afraid compact cameras with preview screens won't cut it because of "shutter lag" where the picture is actually taken 1/4 - 1/2 second after you pressed the button!

As Coldguner says, pre-focus on the spot where the trains front will be, then pan the train and release the shutter when the front end reaches the spot. A slow shutter speed is preferable if you want the background to have speed blur. I once took three photos at a particular spot on the North Wales line involving Class 37's on speeding passenger trains shot side-on. The first was shot was at 2000th of a second to freeze the motion and background. The second shot was at 30th of a second while panning the loco so the engine was sharp and the background blurred. The third shot was also taken at 30th of a second letting the engine enter the frame and pressing the shutter. This caused the background to be sharp but the speeding loco blurred. All good fun!

• Like 2

As Coldguner says, pre-focus on the spot where the trains front will be, then pan the train and release the shutter when the front end reaches the spot. A slow shutter speed is preferable if you want the background to have speed blur. I once took three photos at a particular spot on the North Wales line involving Class 37's on speeding passenger trains shot side-on. The first was shot was at 2000th of a second to freeze the motion and background. The second shot was at 30th of a second while panning the loco so the engine was sharp and the background blurred. The third shot was also taken at 30th of a second letting the engine enter the frame and pressing the shutter. This caused the background to be sharp but the speeding loco blurred. All good fun!

Ah! a while back, I asked the Coach to explain his technique for one of his photographs; he replied, with a smiley,: "How much can you afford...." But now, a freebie! You're slipping, coach!

• Like 1

RUDg1022, to me you post too many pictures on one go. There are some really good shots amongst the overload but it is impossible to make a valid vote for individual pictures by using the Like This button.

You've raised a good point there Larry, sorry... I've never really given 'individual voting' much thought, it's just that when I load the images up in batches they often come from the same group of files in my hard drive, so it's easier to bung them all on in one go while I've got the file open on another page.

Looking back at what I've recently posted though, it does come across as a bit of a visual bombardment!

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Heading up the Valley

37214 with a mixture of unfitted 16t and 21t minerals working from Radyr to Aberdare, 3/11/81

Passing the junction for the Nantgarw branch (which had probably closed by then?) and as it's loaded wagons it would be heading for the Phurnacite plant at Anercwmboi.

Passing the junction for the Nantgarw branch (which had probably closed by then?) and as it's loaded wagons it would be heading for the Phurnacite plant at Anercwmboi.

Mike,

the coke works was still producing traffic, I photographed 37235 working loaded MDVs out,

then later reurning from Rdyr with empty HCOs

cheers

A selection from my Flickr Photostream:

7163093949_08767ec2a5.jpg

On the drawing board II by R. Alan Jones, on Flickr

7267889444_3da8346402.jpg

EOM @ Dduallt by R. Alan Jones, on Flickr

7241158078_5db1700b2a.jpg

Smoke & Steam by R. Alan Jones, on Flickr

7204736892_d2188f12d8.jpg

Lyd at Gysgfa by R. Alan Jones, on Flickr

7204818644_df45e67e59.jpg

Approaching Garnedd Tunnel by R. Alan Jones, on Flickr

6647273163_937ebf348c.jpg

Weight Issues II by R. Alan Jones, on Flickr

6510040393_a19ee6dbba.jpg

Weighbridge by R. Alan Jones, on Flickr

• Like 16

Lovely shot Larry.... and it's a dead ringer for some of Ivo Peters' Claverdon Wier shots from his diesel era book (Railway Elegance - Western Region Trains In The English Countryside) ;)

Stud Farm Quarry, Leicertershire...

post-7638-0-20060200-1343726198_thumb.jpg

• Like 12