Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Rannoch Moor

MRDBLUE17

Hi everyone,

Some further updates and whilst not great pictures it will show you the work started on the front of the layout. A while back there was some discussion about the front facia boards and the height of them and colour. Following on from this I painted them green to blend in with the buildings and scenery and overall I am happy with this colour. Having done this I have since decided to hack down the front facias along the sidings as they were too high to build the scenery up to properly and also if left painted brown looked odd if you look up the layout from the south end. Using the coping saw I have been able to alter the contours and height considerably and as you can sort of make out from the photos it opens up the front viewing angle of the layout much better and helps to create a more realistic viewpoint as though you are at the lineside fence. I will add some better photos soon as it has all been filed smooth and painted and the vegetation has already grown up the front edge very fast. Just a few sleepers and bits of rail to add in before some more static grass to blend it altogether should sort it all out.

post-6863-0-62598500-1325987747_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-50340100-1325987778_thumb.jpg

Pete I thik it was your suggestion in the first place so I'm glad you raised it as it will make a huge difference overall.

Dave and Peter thanks for your comments as always - Dave hopefully I will get that viaduct finished before you can visit again so you can try some of your speed shots out on it. Well maximum of 30 or I'll get another warning from my friendly network rail engineer after running those 60's over it!

All the best,

Mark

• Like 2

Hi Everyone,

With the lower front edge all painted up the scenery has now been added as well with the mix of polyfibre for some banking with scatters, leaves ad rough grass on top, more brambles and some of the woodland scenics bushes and clump material it all blends in quite well.

Not sure why Rannoch has become a stabling point but I have been working on the units for the passenger services with the 150 and 158 present. The 156 is getting the most work done for now so just a quick work in progress shot of the trailer car, but more on these in the future!

post-6863-0-17453200-1326143189_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-41715300-1326143210_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-22472500-1326143232_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-32701900-1326143608_thumb.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Mark

• Like 1

Been playing catch up with this. Looking awesome, can't wait to have a play at Ayr! 416 looks good too, have you got a sleeper rake sorted for it yet or shall I get on with one?

37059 is in the works ready to emerge to partner another one of your many 37s in due course!

Cheers,

Andi.

Thanks Andi 37416 will be getting bifs 37/4 sounds soon as well but it looks really good now I have it in service and you did a cracking job on recreating it in the condition i saw it in! I do have the sleeper set with vinyls on the mark 2,s that does for now and Andy backwaterscotland on here has an even better set in the earlier livery. I did have 37 416 on the sleeper for running in and with the new 67 not out til later in the year it will be busy hauling that set! I will have a 66 and a couple of 37's that need a trip to works to get dirty though!

Thanks

Mark

Hi not sure what number we will be on but the best bet is to come to the DEMU stand and ask for me there. I am not sure what is happening with the group layout at the moment as it is not operational yet but I plan to bring 37416 and my 66 and will be fitting sound decoders to them once I have purchased them from Charlie. Depends on what day you are there will depend what I have on the go but please come and say hello it is always nice to meet and have a proper chat with people at the shows that I have met on here.

All the best,

Mark

Hi Carl,

It will be great to see that up close! I will so some more weathering seeing your demo and then Phil doing the BDA for me has encouraged me to have a go at least. I have added various painted details to some wagons, like the other 2 BDA's for the Alcan train and I also added some china clay stains to the rather nice Kernow partially cleaned weathered silver bullets one is on Rannoch for the Corpach working. I have found the powders work well for the rust on the open wagons so I am slowly working through the rake. I will hopefully get to learn more and better techniques with more practice!

See you at Glasgow,

Mark

Edited by MRDBLUE17

Hi Everyone,

Following the encouragement by a few modelling friends to get some more weathering done, and following a conversation with a fellow DEMU member this week, whose photo has inspired me to to have a go at weathering and detailing up one of my Hornby OTA's as it was too clean! Here are the results. I used Railmatch acrylic frame dirt for the grime which was applied then rubbed with a wet brush to help it lie and run into the gaps in the frame. This was then rubbed off with cotton buds, the stantions being the hardest part to clean up. The inner ends were weathered and rubbed down with some fine wet and dry to create the subtle rubbed and scraped ends and more dirt build up on the ends. The deck was also treated a a wash of grime. Some railmatch rust was brushed on fairly dry to add colour to the springs. The photo I saw inspired me to do the strapping which was pulled tight over the wagon deck with one newer blue stap to add further variety. These were made from tamiya masking tape cut into 3 strips before painted and then put onto the wagon with the first layer and the top strap stuck on backwards underneath the roller and turned back over onto the wagon deck to create the layer effect of the real things. These were washed with frame dirt to tone down a bit.

I have learnt a lot of techniques from others this last year or so and I must keep practicing as I am pleased with the result and it was actually a very relaxing way to spend my afternoon off work.

post-6863-0-37503400-1327102024_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-36148200-1327102049_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-91397600-1327102071_thumb.jpg

Hope you like the results,

Thanks,

Mark

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Everyone,

Following the encouragement by a few modelling friends to get some more weathering done, and following a conversation with a fellow DEMU member this week, whose photo has inspired me to to have a go at weathering and detailing up one of my Hornby OTA's as it was too clean! Here are the results. I used Railmatch acrylic frame dirt for the grime which was applied then rubbed with a wet brush to help it lie and run into the gaps in the frame. This was then rubbed off with cotton buds, the stantions being the hardest part to clean up. The inner ends were weathered and rubbed down with some fine wet and dry to create the subtle rubbed and scraped ends and more dirt build up on the ends. The deck was also treated a a wash of grime. Some railmatch rust was brushed on fairly dry to add colour to the springs. The photo I saw inspired me to do the strapping which was pulled tight over the wagon deck with one newer blue stap to add further variety. These were made from tamiya masking tape cut into 3 strips before painted and then put onto the wagon with the first layer and the top strap stuck on backwards underneath the roller and turned back over onto the wagon deck to create the layer effect of the real things. These were washed with frame dirt to tone down a bit.

I have learnt a lot of techniques from others this last year or so and I must keep practicing as I am pleased with the result and it was actually a very relaxing way to spend my afternoon off work.

post-6863-0-37503400-1327102024_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-36148200-1327102049_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-91397600-1327102071_thumb.jpg

Hope you like the results,

Thanks,

Mark

Hi Mark,

Well - You finally did it!

Now that weathering is becoming easier with you - keep on doing it.

For all followers of this thread...

Mark's layout will be appearing at Ayr MRG Exhibition in September 2012.

Once we get to Modelrail in February he may well find he has an invitation for Modelrail 2013!

Thanks

Hi Mark,

Well - You finally did it!

Now that weathering is becoming easier with you - keep on doing it.

For all followers of this thread...

Mark's layout will be appearing at Ayr MRG Exhibition in September 2012.

Once we get to Modelrail in February he may well find he has an invitation for Modelrail 2013!

Thanks

Hi Phil, After you doing such a good job on that BDA and watching Carl and Mike in action as well despite it all looking a bit scary especially when you get a big brush and slap it all on first after seeing the results it does encourage you to have a go. Besides I thought you might hit me if I brought along some more wagons for you to do but I do need help with the VGA and I have found another example to model but you might not approve!

Will I get an envelope like the Top Gear challenges! :mail: At least we have a good team of operators from the Scottish crowd to play on it!

Don't forget my trip home to Barrow in October as well this year!

Thanks,

Mark

Don't forget my trip home to Barrow in October as well this year!

Thanks,

Mark

There's a fair few Coppell operators lurking for a play down here too Mark! Mind you, they are also waiting to take the p**s out of me when I have to drive GM's!!!!!! :beee: kev.

Hi Kev,

They will all be very welcome for a play and must admit I'm looking forward to it! GM driving for you will be fun :locomotive: I will have a pair of them in service but I think you'll like Bifs sounds that are getting added to one of them soon. At least I still run plenty of 37's to keep you happy - I bet those 66's are first off for LL tractors when I go for lunch!

Mark

Hi Mark,

The layout is coming along brilliantly. I'll need to visit again soon for a look ;-) Every time I look at the pics you've posted the more it makes me want to do Rannoch in 2fs.

Your weathering looks good. I like how you've rubbed the data panels 'clean' on the OTA.

Cheers

Martin

Hi Martin,

Your welcome over any time for a play. I have also finished the second wagon with timber load but after 3 attempts can't come up with a decent representation of the 3 empty sockets on each side. I will come back to these again as it would just finish it off. Plan to get 2 of the VDA variant from Bachmann and change one to the Hornby type posts if I have enough spare from the ones I am doing to finish the 10 wagon rake. I have added the alignment dowels to the south end section today and just finished the wiring connector blocks on the fiddle yard side, off to get the front one done and may be add some photos later on!

Thanks,

Mark

Was watching a dvd on line through Rannoch in the early hours of this morning( chest infection no sleep) and as the train left I noticed a green vehicle to the right in the trees ,what is this?.You have captured the feel of Rannoch as the unit arrived over the crossing I could see your layout and the 37,s .The dvd is from 225 studios Helensborough to Fort William no commentary just excellent filming.

Hi everyone,

lmsforever - I thnk the vehicle you saw is the old campling coach that sits on what was the old turntable road running off from the back of the station - this would sit beyond my backscene between the trees and the cottage. I have seen a good photo of it close up from a friend but sadly no space to model it which is a shame as it would have made a nice cameo!

I have finished the second of the three Hornby OTA's again with some inspiration from several DEMU members so a big thanks to you all for pushing me on to weather my stock and to add some details as well. This wagon was in one of Paul Bartletts photos on his site and showed only six posts. I have added in two piles of longer logs as seen on several wagons on the WHL which are cut from Budleia in the garden and the green is all natural. The small dead branches on this have a nice bark effect which seems to suit this scale ok. Strapped down with thin strips cut from tamiya masking tape painted a yellowy/white shade then washed with soem track dirt. I have made this the last wagon in the rake so added a screw link coupling and tail light along with the nice air pipe Hornby give you with the wagon. Having seen 37's on long rakes of these on the WHL I have altered my freight workings to have a long timber train which will eventually be 10 wagons once I get a couple of Bachmanns new VDA variant to play with.

post-6863-0-04053200-1327710741_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-83855200-1327710802_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-55156600-1327710781_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-79348400-1327710822_thumb.jpg

Work on the layout today has included some fairly mundane tasks which are invisible from normal viewing angles but very essential for the layout to go out to shows and be reliable in service. Thanks to Martin for sorting out some metal alignment dowels these have been added to the south end boards to give for the first time quick and accurate alignment - much easier than man handling the baords by sight and then bolts and wing nuts to tighten and align!

The wiring on the fiddle yard board has now been finished at the south end joints with a simple new connector block that is above board for ease. I have then spent some time on the floor wrapping tiny bits of electrical tape around wiring joints to prevent shorts if anything moves in transit in the future.

post-6863-0-17985000-1327710695_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-21618300-1327710718_thumb.jpg

The final task today involved adjusting the soldered track to PCB sleepers at the board joints as 4 roads and the rear platform face had the odd issue and dips in them which could throw a wagon or two off and the leading wheel on the 66's behind the station. This just involed heating the joints and adjusting with some pliers. The end result seems worthwhile as I now have even smoother running over the joints which should make life a bit less stressful when it goes out for the first time!

Thanks for looking,

Mark

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

It's been a while since my last update - trying to be good and get on with things as I really want to get the south end finished as much as possible by the end of this month. There will be small details to add over time but the main features should all be more or less complete. The main feature to complete is the cottage converted from the old Hornby thatched cottage kit. The front has been altered to look like a Scottish cottage with a new door, the etched frame was a spare from the etch Pete Harvey did for me and the windows built from plastic strip. The roof line has been altered to create a point at the top of the ridge and a new slate roof added from wills sheets the building just being the right length! The extension part has been built on at the rear and I have modernised the old cottage at the rear with the patio doors and modern double glazed unit with an open window. Some new facia boards and gable end timbers have been added from 2mm strip. Onto these U channel brackets have been added with some 1.5mm semi circle strip for guttering. The down pipes will be added using 1.2 mm diameter rod and some strip for wall brackets. The gable end has a new chimney stack from wills stone sheet with a chimney from plastic square section with notches cut in the top. The roof also has a new stone chimney stack with 2 small pots added. The cement render to cap these is shaped from some old bits of white tack. The photos show the work so far with the javis blue grey base layer added to the roof slates which I have then slapped on to undercoat the areas of bare plastic which will eventually have a nice blue shade from the humbrol range added.

post-6863-0-81164900-1328648246_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-71165700-1328648280_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-11627500-1328648303_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-50460500-1328648327_thumb.jpg

post-6863-0-14112400-1328648349_thumb.jpg

Thanks for looking and feel free to ask any questions or post comments

Carl - thanks again for sharing your photos, great for the small details and look forward to seeing you at Glasgow. For those of you coming to the show please come and say hello - we will be in the extra Hall this year on Stand A8 and A13 as the Scottish Modellers crowd so hope to see those I know and some new faces from here over the 3 days!

All the best,

Mark

• Like 3