Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Why are preserved railways so unpopular as layout subjects

What a shame that I have only caught the tail end of this topic. My own embryonic layout, Back Yard, is inspired by the preserved scene.

Many of the points of view put across in this thread, I agree with and I am not inspired by the 'public' side of railway preservation but the 'behind the scenes' part - specifically the behind the scenes part of the ELR at Bury, which I was privileged to have a tour of when SWMBO bought me a driver's experience last year.

The ELR railway workshops share their buildings with a commercial operation and have a main line connection. As has already been noted, they occasionally provide facilities to the main line companies and anyone who says that preserved railways don't have freight wagons should look at the motley collection being stored and shunted at the ELR!

A large part of my interest is plastic kit building and one advantage of the scenario I am working on is the variety of stock (and it's age). I need not construct 50 identical coal wagons to make a prototypical coal train, I can get away with constructing 50 individual kits without too much worry about time and place. And of course, what little coaching stock I will have is available as kits, which sadly appears not to be true of more modern coaching stock.

As far as motive power is concerned, pride of place goes to my DCC sound equipped Black 5, complete with four people on the footplate, which commemorates my own fumblings with the regulator on my driver experience. I also have Tornado and perhaps too many large diesels of several vintages but the ELR sees all this stabled from time to time and perhaps very occasionally altogether...

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Is it "illegal" on this forum to revive a topic somewhat? If so, apologies but I had to throw in my own two cents after reading it all.

I have/had (It's still there, just utterly unused and likely to be broken down next year) preserved line layout in my loft space. It was set between three small places and it's "theme" was vaguely LMS/LNER and I tried to buy things in this vein. It wasn't realistic, but for the most part I ran only passenger trains and was quite happy with it, I also had lines absolutely chock-full of goods wagons and various kits that rarely turned a wheel but looked "right" packed in nice and tight.

I had a layout like this because I, as a teenager back when it was built, had a stronger connection to steam in a preserved setting than in it's "original" setting.

Now, at 23 I have plans afoot to build one layout that is based on a completely fictional light railway (an area that is woefully under-represented on here, I feel) and maybe, if funds, time and space permit some form of preserved railway layout.

Now, during this summer there was a report handed out by the Ministry of Transport outlining several lines that would be of use for community expansion and use as a way of releiving congestion on the roads. Of those lines 3 were partially, or wholly, occupied by Preserved Railways. The government official quizzed on this suggested that as there were already people, and even entire trains already extant, that those organizations could easily run said community services. If one threw in an industry of some sort (Gypsum anyone?) you can get some interesting movements in hand.

I'd say that a fictional preserved line, if done properly, would actually be an interesting model. Doubly so if you set it during a gala of some sort. A very interesting mixture of goods, carriages, and even the "Community" services would give you excuses to run a variety of stock, so long as it was within some sort of theme in mind.

And obviously, a bit of "distressed" look to the stock would always help.

No it isn't illegal to revive a topic that has been dormant for 10 months but it never fails to surprise me how they do crop up from time to time. Shows some of you folk must spend time looking at the older threads which is no bad thing as there are some gems out there.

No it isn't illegal to revive a topic that has been dormant for 10 months but it never fails to surprise me how they do crop up from time to time. Shows some of you folk must spend time looking at the older threads which is no bad thing as there are some gems out there.

Thanks Mod5 :D I wasn't too sure as there are forums out there that I have been a member of where "Necromancy" threads inactive for 6 months was seriously frowned on.

Guest Natalie Graham

Re preservation lines running for tourism versus running for local communities, I seem to remember that the West Somerset Railway was set up to keep that line open as a communitiy resource, but it seems to have become a heritage line instead. The Swanage line has also had a community purpose somewhere in its operational brief, but until it is able to properly connect back to the mainline at Worgret, I'm not sure how well that brief has been kept to (apart from the Park & Ride scheme at Norton).

So it may be that in the future some models of heritage lines could have an aspect of revenue earning service represented on them quite accurately. But in most instances that seems not to be the case at the moment.

The Wensleydale is another that was intended as a community railway intended to provide a transport service but seems to have become another heritage railway. I think part of the reason, as I understand it, is that it is far easier to comply with the regulations for 'heritage railways' than for operating 'transport' railways, along with the economic realities which are often the reason the lines closed in the first place. It is neccesary to appeal to the tourist and enthusiast in order to bring in the revenue to fund the restoration and maintenance of the lines.

As for the operating potential of a model of a preserved railway rather than an operating line, a lot of the lines that were preserved would, in pre-preservation days, have had the same branch passenger train of a couple of coaches and a tank loco trundling back and forth four of fives times a day with perhaps a pick up goods trailing a handful of wagons once a day at best or more likely once or twice a week. They were hardly Clapham Junction interms of train movements. Has any layout, since Heckmondwike did it for a couple of shows, operated a truly prototypical timetable?

The Wensleydale is another that was intended as a community railway intended to provide a transport service but seems to have become another heritage railway. I think part of the reason, as I understand it, is that it is far easier to comply with the regulations for 'heritage railways' than for operating 'transport' railways, along with the economic realities which are often the reason the lines closed in the first place. It is neccesary to appeal to the tourist and enthusiast in order to bring in the revenue to fund the restoration and maintenance of the lines.

As for the operating potential of a model of a preserved railway rather than an operating line, a lot of the lines that were preserved would, in pre-preservation days, have had the same branch passenger train of a couple of coaches and a tank loco trundling back and forth four of fives times a day with perhaps a pick up goods trailing a handful of wagons once a day at best or more likely once or twice a week. They were hardly Clapham Junction interms of train movements. Has any layout, since Heckmondwike did it for a couple of shows, operated a truly prototypical timetable?

I remember that layout. I also remember how nobody stood near the ruddy thing because it was 25 minutes+ between trains!

Matfield.png

There ya go, a sensible Preserved Layout in 9 feet built within 3 baseboards at 3 foot by 1. With a fiddle yard at either end Idea is it's long enough for say a Ivatt with two carriages at the far end, with enough space for a turbostar at the bridge end. As you can see the whole rambling bits of text on the image itself give you an idea of some of the thoughts in my head. It blends various ideas from numerous preserved railways in Derbyshire. Primarily it's a blend of the Midland Railway-Butterly and Peak Rail. The station is based on the "new" one at Matlock, which when eventually developed will see steam trains run into Matlock itself on the platform actually marked "NR". I decided that it'd look more impressive if the steam trains arrived into the main bit with the more impressive station building.

The buildings for the workshop and engine shed will be very losely based on the Midland Railway Centre's buildings, namely the corrigated iron sheet esque constructions.

I'm aiming to buy a load of old wagons and carriages and such, and cover them in tarpaulin. Gives the effect of a nicely cluttered scene and a chance to do a bit of Over-the-top weathering!

Hello, this is a mystery which has befuddled me for a while, why are preserved railways unpopular as Layout subjects? I mean modeling a fictitious preserved line opens up a huge range for a modeller... an example of all the Classes of GNR .. 0-6-0s, .. there are some real gems from the Rolling Stock archive that have been lost forever...

I don't feel there is any mystery, someone modelling something that existed in the past is modelling ideal preservation. Fact is, as others have already observed, that most preserved lines are a horrible motley. A near random colection of locos, stock and liveries never seen in service together, garnished with as many rusting BR diesel hulks as can be accomodated in the available siding space is not preservation, it's a scrapyard maintained as entertainment. ( I have nothing against those who enjoy such things, let every man do what brings pleasure so long as no harm is done; I have also declned bog-snorkelling and chili eating contests for example.) The better preserved lines where it is possible to see 'how things were' at a given date, simply don't happen to sustain my interest for modelling (they are plenty interesting for a visit, but that's a different activity). There's no freight of necessity. The service pattern isn't realistic. It isn't a 90mph stretch of the ECML, with any of near 400 wide firebox locos possibly to be seen on any given day...

I could quite cheerfully contemplate a model of the GNR, with all the Doncaster 0-6-0s rolling around, and stock to match, and wish that such a preserved line exists: but it doesn't so I would simply model the GNR...

• Like 2

Like many others I haven't followed the earlier thread. So my apologies if I repeat other postings

I have considered a preserved line as part of an exhibition layout but my plans came to nothing.

I really enjoy preserved railways and - very ocassionally - they can remind me of what we have lost. The last train of the day in a wet winter evening, without the "fairground" atmosphere, can re-kindle old memories.

Although one of my best nostalgia moments was last year pulling up at Settle - admittedly in a 158 - on dark snow filled scene with the replica gas lights on this beatifully preserved station - a real railway.

Preserved lines are not, for me something to model, as in my imagination my model railways are every day working railways.

However I look forward to seeing some of the excellent models of them.

Jack

I don't feel there is any mystery, someone modelling something that existed in the past is modelling ideal preservation. Fact is, as others have already observed, that most preserved lines are a horrible motley. A near random colection of locos, stock and liveries never seen in service together, garnished with as many rusting BR diesel hulks as can be accomodated in the available siding space is not preservation, it's a scrapyard maintained as entertainment. ( I have nothing against those who enjoy such things, let every man do what brings pleasure so long as no harm is done; I have also declned bog-snorkelling and chili eating contests for example.) The better preserved lines where it is possible to see 'how things were' at a given date, simply don't happen to sustain my interest for modelling (they are plenty interesting for a visit, but that's a different activity). There's no freight of necessity. The service pattern isn't realistic. It isn't a 90mph stretch of the ECML, with any of near 400 wide firebox locos possibly to be seen on any given day...

I could quite cheerfully contemplate a model of the GNR, with all the Doncaster 0-6-0s rolling around, and stock to match, and wish that such a preserved line exists: but it doesn't so I would simply model the GNR...

Er.. I'll be honest and admit that I was refering to the Irish counterpart of that company. But good point

• RMweb Gold

Not really anything to do with 'complying with regulations' but basically I think a matter of operational economics when - as usually happens - folk wake up to reality and gradually latch on to the reason why a line might have lost its passenger train service in the first place. If you are going to carry the paying public you have to more or less exactly the same things whether you're doing it daily or only on holidays and high days.

But until now - and still limiting most - is the speed restraint imposed by the original Light Railway Orders, and that usually won't make sense against the journey time demands of a commuter service. But normally it's far more basic than that - the promoters/proposers ideas are far bigger than their pockets will allow.

• RMweb Gold

I am modelling a preserved railway, so it has been interesting to read alot of the posts made in this thread!

My main reason for deciding to build a small section of the MHR was to allow me to run models I couldn't really justify on a modern image layout. That said, as I'm modelling a prototype location I have set myself the rule that nothing which hasn't visited the real railway won't get a look in, so I'm not about to start running any old stock!

I have to say, I don't really buy the argument about lack of operational interest. Ok, so a normal run of the mill preserved railway timetable isn't great, but throw in the special events/Galas etc, and you likely have more operational interest than 99% of today's railway, albeit at a more sedate pace! If I'd chosen to model Aldershot station, although there would be more train movements, they'd mostly be be identical units, and I suspect that would loose onlookers attention rather quickly.

Again, clean stock. Bit of a misconception there too I think. Fresh out of overhaul stock is always going to be clean, whether its on a preserved railway or the main line, but take a closer look at some preserved coaches. The underframes weather pretty quickly, and the roofs are often in alot worse state as a result of outside storage. As for engines, I was down at Ropley a couple of months back, and although the recently restored U Class and Black 5 were looking nice and clean, Wadebridge had a wonderful look of hard worked engine about it, right down to the dulling paint work. Now that's not a criticism of the Railway staff/volunteers at all, in fact it was nice to see a preserved steam engine looking used for a change!

As for modelling the model, well, perhaps to an extent, but for me personally its more about modelling what I see. The challenge is in recreating things as they are in real life in small scale, and that applies as much to a preserved line as it does the main line.

But, at the end of the day, each to his own, as they say!

Tom

• Like 2

Hi tom, good point about recreating objects in miniature. The major problem with weathering on preserved railways is its a given fact that locomotives work better when clean. Plus the fact that any line has to appeal to visitors and that isn't done by running rickety, rusted stock on the verge of collapse. Few modelers acknowledge that subtle weathering is harder to convincingly pull off.

• Like 1

Not really anything to do with 'complying with regulations' but basically I think a matter of operational economics when - as usually happens - folk wake up to reality and gradually latch on to the reason why a line might have lost its passenger train service in the first place. If you are going to carry the paying public you have to more or less exactly the same things whether you're doing it daily or only on holidays and high days.

But until now - and still limiting most - is the speed restraint imposed by the original Light Railway Orders, and that usually won't make sense against the journey time demands of a commuter service. But normally it's far more basic than that - the promoters/proposers ideas are far bigger than their pockets will allow.

I agree with this posting.

Most preserved lines will never be able to provide anything that even comes close to a 24/7 service. However demograhic changes have meant that some lines could potentially provide a commuter service that would never have been viable at the time of closure. Mid Hants is a good example but as has been said here, Light Railway Orders prevent a profitable operation and, in my limited experience of preserved railway volunteers, I don't think many would be motivated to attempt such an operation.

Look forward to seeing Tom's layout.

Jack

Edited by GC Jack

• 2 weeks later...

I'm building a layout loosely based on http://www.freetrackplans.com/826-Goathland.php and will run it like a station halfway along a preserved line where tokens are exchanged. That way I can run a Green Deltic with LNER teak stock etc. Just not sure how an olyimpics javelin will fit in but my 5 year old likes to see it whizzing around.

Having caught up with this thread, as a 'preservation modeller', I thought I would make a contribution to this interesting discussions. Some of my arguments will echo themes in the excellent comments of St Simon (28 August), The Black Hat (20 October) and PGN (10 November). This lengthy post is more of a critique of some of the reasons given against preservation modelling than explaining why there are so few (sorry its slightly OT)!

Firstly, I am ashamed to say that my still-temporary layout is hugely sub-par, mainly because it is basically an oval of track with many sidings (growing in number) and run round loop. It spends much of its time stored against a wall so all scenics and buildings are removable; i.e. its a rather overgrown trainset! (2500mm x 1250mm). It could be best described, in prototype terms, as a 'railway centre' with a mainline connection running off a (gated) spur in one corner.

However my 'magnum opus' (when I have the space/a place of my own) WILL be a fictitious preserved railway aiming to capture the scenic and operational character of some of the premier UK preserved railways. This is influenced by some very happy (if not all that regular) childhood visits, and later a little bit of volunteering, on the Bluebell Railway, and visits to the NYMR while on summer holidays in Yorkshire! The architecture will be based on (my local) GNR buildings of North London. It will have a mainline connection, with shared NR and heritage line station as a main station.

With this in mind, the detail and character of my current layout, and the content of my stock collection, builds towards this aim.

I will admit to running non-weathered stock. Most persevered locos are kept clean, except for a bit of road dirt and maybe some fading paint (45110 (SVR) at the end of its ticket and a Barrow hill is a prime example – clean but faded!). Yes rolling stock should have a coating of brake dust and assorted colouring below the sole bar in most cases, as well as different aged paint; I'm not confident enough to attempt this at present....

Run Anything? / Collecting Policy

I would question argument that preserved railways are an 'excuse to run anything'. If done thoughtfully, this does not have to be the case. Personally I will only buy preserved locos (or ones that can easily be renumbered with correct details). Similarly coaches and freight stock must have a preserved example and cannot be represented in numbers that exceed their total in preservation. I don't got to the lengths of renumbering rolling stock, although if repainting, will apply preserved number.

Such restrictions are a great way of holding spending in check (!), as much as sticking to any other particular region and era (for example, at present I have no Hornby Maunsell-liveried Maunsells – all the preserved examples are high-window examples, and Hornby's full width models are only represented in preservation by BCKs and CKs (so my research indicates)

Excuse to 'Plonk' RTR?

I would take issue with the proposition that 'preservation' is used an an excuse to plonk RTR models and run them. Part of my rolling stock fleet is a mainline charter rake, some of which is used in everyday 'branch' traffic, but occasionally formed into a 12 coach rake and going 'off scene' on a railtour. This follows the operating practices of the SRPS at Bo'ness. All 'mainline registered' Mk1s have had commonwealth bogies fitted, orange cantrail stripes, and OHL flashes, as well as appropriate end steps removed in most cases. Periscopes have been blanked off all Mk1 brakes. I've repainted a Mk2a TSO into SRPS Maroon livery as 5412 (but without SRPS branding), and have one (plus one pending) WCRC Maroon Mk1 Pullman FOs. OK the maroon pullmans are never (?) seen on preserved railways; this is a slight 'run anything' case, but is a compromise to provide open first accommodation.

Operational Interest

Clearly there's daily (or weekend) passenger traffic, Pullman lunch and dinner trains, demo freights, and the occasional photo charter. There's also shunting stored stock, and ensuring that vac-only and air-only stock are not shunted together, and are moved by appropriately fitted locos. Mainline formations are formed with a mk2 and/or non passenger mk1 at the ends.

In terms of locos, there's the need to ensure small locos are hauling appropriate loads, and are deployed in an operationally prototypical way (for example I won't be using my Well Tanks for winter passenger trains without an additional loco to provide steam heat!).

The modelling of a heritage-centre based mainline rake provides the opportunity to take stock 'off stage' on a regular basis, and have mainline or mainline heritage diesels coming on to provide charter haulage or insurance/ETH roles. Again, I would not say this is 'an excuse'; it is representative of prototypical operation.

Celebrity Locos

In terms number of celebrity locos, clearly unless you are modelling a specific line such as the excellent model produced by “The Bluebell Railway”, this can be a problem. As the owner of models of Mallard, The Scotsman, Tornado, Clan Line etc etc.... I can testify it can look ridiculous! The trick is clearly to ensure they are not all in use at once.

I would, however, question the real life rarity of such celebrity fleets. If one looks at recent-past and present allocations to some of the premier preserved railways, there are a high concentration of celebs: NYMR (Gresley, K1, 45767, Pocket Rocket, Blue Peter, 7F..) ELR (Lizzie, The Duke, 45407, 45871), GCR (30777, Cromwell, 63601, 60163), MHR (Bittern, Nelson, CanPac), SVR (60009, 61994, Taw Valley), and places like Tysley, Crewe, and Didcot.

Preservation Character

I would agree that the key to effectively modelling a preserved railway, be it real location or fictitious, is getting the character right. Given their contemporary nature, this should be comparable with any other modern image layout. I would critique the idea of a 'pastiche of a pastiche'. There is little that is 'pastiche' about the area behind the works at Sheffield Park (Bluebell) ('Atlantic House', boiler 'park', numerous shipping container stores, Loco Wheelsets, ex 92085 9F cylinders). Areas such as these are part of the 'modern-day heavy engineering' of railway preservation, and deserve to be captured in model form.

With this in mind, my present layout features a JCB for coaling locomotives (still looking for a decent forklift!), as well as Bachmann containers that are weathered/repainted/debranded sitting on sleepers behind my loco shed. The shed itself has 'restricted width' checker boards on, featuring maintenance pits and a separate ash disposal and boiler washout pit. I've converted Bachmann RU to use as a static kitchen, on accommodation bogie sitting on isolated track at the back of one platform. The 'kitchen' is served by a scratch build brick/wood ramp allowing supplies to be brought from 'carpark to coach'. This ramp is fenced with 'heritage fencing' (Ratio GWR, I think). The interior of the RU is fitted with a modern stainless steel kitchen and public buffet seating area. A Dapol kit West Country is 'awaiting overhaul' in a siding, chimney capped, greased motion, empty tender.. A dismembered kit Dapol 9F represents a loco undergoing restoration from scrapyard condition (tender all but complete boiler work needed!). Box shifter sales of RR/IC/NSE Mk1s provided an ideal opportunity to acquire coaches stored pending restoration, weathered, patch painted, the odd door swapped out with heritage painted one, roof sheeted over.

This is my few pounds worth. Thinking about it, I'm surprised there aren't more high quality preserved railways modelled, especially by us young(er) folk who don't remember steam. One day I hope to properly make my contribution in this area!

sorry for quoting the whole post G-BOAF. Can we see your layout, it sounds really interesting! I think the preserved setting offers a really interesting subject when it's as well thought out as this.

• RMweb Premium

Like a number of others I too have only recently caught up with this topic. Having read through most of the contributions I have been a little surprised that there doesn't appear to have been a mention of two potentially interesting operators in this particular sector of the rail business.

1. Iowa Pacific Holdings aka British American Railway Services

2. Moorland & City Railways

Both of these blatantly commercial operations have plans in which activity as a tourist railway is only one element of the business, the others being freight operations and commercial passenger services.

BARS, as owner of the Weardale Railway and the Dartmoor Railway have already commenced the transport of opencast coal on the former and are actively pursuing Okehampton-Exeter commuter services on the latter. Commuting hours only operation is an activity which is quite common in the USA and it will be interesting to see if it can be made a success in the UK environment.

Moorland & City is a commercial offshoot of the Churnet Valley Railway and intends to reopen the network of lines to the east of Stoke with passenger services for Leek and Alton (Towers) and freight services from the quarries at Caldon Low and possible sand from Oakamoor.

Whilst being a fascinating development of the private railway in the British context they would, for me, provide a more interesting prototype on which to base a model as having a greater cross-section of traffics than the current preserved/heritage railways.

Having said that I would still like to add a small plug for Tom E's activities in modelling the Mid-Hants. Even if the subject matter isn't quite your thing (and it isn't mine particularly) then follow his blog for the many new and interesting techniques that he is coming up with.

David

• RMweb Gold

Like a number of others I too have only recently caught up with this topic. Having read through most of the contributions I have been a little surprised that there doesn't appear to have been a mention of two potentially interesting operators in this particular sector of the rail business.

1. Iowa Pacific Holdings aka British American Railway Services

2. Moorland & City Railways

Both of these blatantly commercial operations have plans in which activity as a tourist railway is only one element of the business, the others being freight operations and commercial passenger services.

BARS, as owner of the Weardale Railway and the Dartmoor Railway have already commenced the transport of opencast coal on the former and are actively pursuing Okehampton-Exeter commuter services on the latter. Commuting hours only operation is an activity which is quite common in the USA and it will be interesting to see if it can be made a success in the UK environment.

Moorland & City is a commercial offshoot of the Churnet Valley Railway and intends to reopen the network of lines to the east of Stoke with passenger services for Leek and Alton (Towers) and freight services from the quarries at Caldon Low and possible sand from Oakamoor.

David

Having had to cast a professional eye over the ambitions of one of the lines mentioned above all I would say is that their plans run a very considerable way beyond what they seemed to think they were going to cost with a major shortfall in their estimate of the amount of civil and signal engineering work needed and of their likely operating costs. Having reviewed various aspects of several other schemes (not mentioned here) I know all too well the sort of costs necessary to relay track or otherwise get it up to the sort of speed capability needed to run time competitive everyday passenger services plus the wherewithal needed to operate such services, and none of it comes cheap.

I don't necessarily disagree with any scheme to get railway re-opened or services restored but I'm afraid Britain since the 1960s is littered with a litany of schemes which haven't come off and not one (outside the national network and its operators) which has seen an everyday public passenger restored to a closed line. All of those which have in some way succeeded have re-opened as 'heritage' or 'leisure' railways and have been able, thus far, to make enough money to remain in business but none of them have gone beyond that on a long term basis - even where it would be a simple step for them to do so.

• Like 1

Actually its been pointed out before, but why are all of the few preserved railway layouts based on the kind with gleaming stock, not a hint of dirt and time tabling to put the Swiss and the Japanese to shame. Isn't it more within most modelers grasp to have an ex NCB Austerity puttering along with a gaggle of breakvans to a non-descript tea room(cough shack) in the middle of absolute no were?

Timetables? you do realizes the drivers an art student?

ScR

Edit 03/01/12

I can see that this contradicts my above post, I apologize if anyone is confused by it, but the point stands.

Edited by scots region

Once again to agree with Mike on this.

Back on topic though, I have read with real interest about preserved railway layouts and look forward to seeing one. However, I have been on the exhibition circuit for over thirty years and have yet to see one at a show.

Has anyone posted any pics on the forum of one?

Jack

Yes Jack, my layout Bishop Auckland is on the exhibtion circuit - it has national network meeting a preservation terminus, with a little bit of dispensation from network rail to allow the engines to pass within the station confines, similar to Grosmont - Battersby ideas, given Bishop Auckland is far away from the main network. The layout has had considerable work done to it to make it smarter in appearance and smoother to operate, but I imagine its outing at the Scout Hall in Bishop Auckland on the 21st and 22nd is a jaunt too far from the Isle of Wight....

Info and links is in the Exhibition section.

• Like 1