Heljan Lion

Guest 47107

• RMweb Premium

I just about managed to scrape enough money together to get 'Lion' today, from the Signal Box in Rochester. Looks lovely.

Now, it appears that I got the last one in stock (it was in the display cabinet). If so (and their website still shows it as being available) then it appears that stocks are starting to run low.

picked-up mine yesterday, a surperb runner up to Heljan's usual high stanadards for a co-co, especially slow running ,excellent flush glazing.

We should all say a big thanks to Brian Daniels for getting involved, as I am sure that his input has been invaluable and hopefully may it continue with DP2 and more, as we on RM WEB appreciate his very high standards and skills. (perharps its a shame he was not involved with the class 47's).

Cracking model! Got mine last week from Rails.

Reaction at model club mostly was this:

'What the hell is that??' B)

Well done by Heljan on a cracing model to go with my Falcon and Kestrel. Looking forward immensly to DP2, the Baby Deltics and the Railbus!!!

Not many of the diesel prototypes left to cover. as far as I can tell that leaves the Bulleid trio (someones doing those I think?), 10800, the Fell Diesel 10100, the APTs and 'Avocet', a few classes of shunters B)

Though I think most of all we need GT3!! :P

picked-up mine yesterday, a surperb runner up to Heljan's usual high stanadards for a co-co, especially slow running ,excellent flush glazing.

We should all say a big thanks to Brian Daniels for getting involved, as I am sure that his input has been invaluable and hopefully may it continue with DP2 and more, as we on RM WEB appreciate his very high standards and skills. (perharps its a shame he was not involved with the class 47's).

We should also add Grahame Wareham (Brush Veteran) to the list of people to thank for Lion, and the forthcoming Baby Deltic.

I have noticed a minor wobble at full speed, but it does disappear once it slows down.

Interested to know if this is an issue, or is a common theme, as I will send it back.

Thanks

Mark

Mine had a slight wobble in one direction only, after a few hours running with six on the back, it has now disapeared.

Guest baldrick25

Hi

My 14 year old son's comment was very nice, but, when will it be finished, when I asked what he meant he said well aren't you going to paint it!!

ian

Go on then, I dare you :- ficticious

or is it to be speed whiskers?

• RMweb Premium

hI

My Lion arrived in NZ this week, the packaging has let it down a bit.

a "rough shunt" in the post betweeen Liverpool and Upper Hutt resulted in damage to both ends: one buffer shank broken at one end and the nose handrail bent and lampiron broken at the other end.

The chassis ran really well so I decided to repair the loco rahter than return it, a piece of plastic rod glued on to the square shank of the buffer and re-using the original spring, the handrail straightened and a loose bit of glazing stuck in.

When I reassembled the loco I found that the body clips are quite tempremental. When the body is in position the sides are not in contact with the chassis block. Looking up into the body and through the windows it appears that the glazing is holding the body shell off the chassis block.

Am I right or have I not got the body back together correctly ? Or is this how it's intended to fit ?

As far as I can see the only solutions would be to flushglaze the sides or file out the chassis block.

Roger

• RMweb Premium

When I reassembled the loco I found that the body clips are quite tempremental. When the body is in position the sides are not in contact with the chassis block. Looking up into the body and through the windows it appears that the glazing is holding the body shell off the chassis block.

Am I right or have I not got the body back together correctly ? Or is this how it's intended to fit ?

As far as I can see the only solutions would be to flushglaze the sides or file out the chassis block.

Roger

Looking at mine just now, it doesn't look like the windows are pushing the bodywork out of shape, despite there being a gap between the body side and chassis block. So to my mind it looks like Heljan have taken account of the glazing width in their design of the chassis. However, I stand to be corrected.

• RMweb Premium

Go on then, I dare you :- ficticious

or is it to be speed whiskers?

How about in standard blue? ;)

Seriously though, if I were to paint something ficticiously it would be some coaches into Lion's livery rather than repaint Lion itself. I quite like the idea of some aircon mark 2s in Lion white with some gold lining, and perhaps a sort of 'Lion nameplate' style of crest somewhere in the centre of the body side below the windows...

• RMweb Gold

Or why not have a fleet of three locomotives named "Lion", "Witch" and "Wardrobe" :D

..... if I were to paint something ficticiously it would be some coaches into Lion's livery rather than repaint Lion itself. I quite like the idea of some aircon mark 2s in Lion white with some gold lining, and perhaps a sort of 'Lion nameplate' style of crest somewhere in the centre of the body side below the windows...

Seriously, that sounds like a very attractive idea.

Guest baldrick25

Seriously though, if I were to paint something ficticiously it would be some coaches into Lion's livery rather than repaint Lion itself. I quite like the idea of some aircon mark 2s in Lion white with some gold lining, and perhaps a sort of 'Lion nameplate' style of crest somewhere in the centre of the body side below the windows...

What an excellent idea, now I'm scouring around for three MK1's to try that out. There is an image of the original Lion nameplate somewhere on the PC that could be 'photoshopped' into a suitable transfer although it may end up a shade of tan , rather than gold. A single gold line along the bodyside just below the window line methinks...Ideas Ideas Ideas..!

• RMweb Premium

I will be looking into getting one. I remember seeing the real thing at Didcot as a nipper. It was an awesome sight amogst all the grime and dirt. What a great shame that these beautiful prototypes (Lion,Falcon,Kestrel and DP2) did not survive for posterity, I suppose its a bit like Marilyn Monroe really she will never grow old neither will Lion.

What an excellent idea, now I'm scouring around for three MK1's to try that out. There is an image of the original Lion nameplate somewhere on the PC that could be 'photoshopped' into a suitable transfer although it may end up a shade of tan , rather than gold. A single gold line along the bodyside just below the window line methinks...Ideas Ideas Ideas..!

Maybe some Mk 2a's would be better? Prototype loco pulling prototype carriages ;)

Having bought a bundle of stuff already this year, the only way I could get my Lion was to have my wife buy it for my Birthday and no matter how much I pout and sulk, she insists that it remains under wraps until April 22nd. (Good Friday!).

This;

I suppose its a bit like Marilyn Monroe..........I will be looking into getting one.

might not necessarily help my cause!

RP

P.S. 7013 - sorry for twisting your words!

• RMweb Premium

Now there is a dilemma Roy, Marilyn in her prime or Lion in her prime? choices choices! :D

Edit. Just had a brilliant thought, buy two models of Lion and rename one Marilyn Monroe. She has that lovely white skirt Marilyns is not bad either.:P:

Mine arrived a few days ago, and upon receipt inspection:

1. Missing one of the cab side handrails, some of the others aren't glued in especially well.

2. There is only a screw link at one end, isn't it supposed to come with a pair of couplings? The parts sheet shows 63X2. unsure.gif

3. The bogie side frames sort of have a Hornby 31 bananaing about them. They both tilt upwards at the ends. After pulling them off and reattaching, with some corrective torque, they are a bit better, but it is almost like the horizontal posts on the gearbox sides aren't exactly horizontal. I can live with this, the misalignment is slight now, assuming it doesn't creep back to it's previous position.

4. Bit of a growl at low speed in one direction, even after running in, might be the worm gear isn't centered well,sorta like the Class 17 problem. Fixable, I'll give the gear boxes a good looking over when it is chipped and a speaker added.

5. Not particularly impressed with the cardan shaft either, they flop about a bit under load, very thin and long. Reminds me of the problematic cardan shafts on the early Stewart Alco C-628s. Haven't run any trains at the club since the car accident, but I may stiffen the shafts when she's chipped anyway, because I can see them balking on downhill grades with a long train.

Nothing that can't be addressed, sending a message off to my box shifter for items 1 & 2.

Not complaining mind you, I'm grinning ear to ear, she is a beautiful locomotive... cool.gif

Got mine today from Hattons. As I unpacked it I noticed a very fine handrail in the bottom of the box. Considering the model was totaly enclosed in clear plastic, that must have fell before it was packed and was thrown in loose? It wouldn't stay on the model without the application of a little glue.

Mine wobbled quite badly when running it in, but after an hour or so the wobbling had virtualy stopped in one direction so thats the way it will run from now on. Does anybody know what is causing the wobbing? The wheels appear to be 100% true.

What a fantastic job Heljan have done of the buffer beam detail. Cutting all those exquisite pipes was heart breaking. I had to bend the coupling up as it drooped so bad the hook part was catching rails on pointwork! Since bending it it doesn't seem too bad now.

Overall what a stunning model. I'm very pleased with it.

Jim

Archived