Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Kernow Models Announcements

Andy Y

I remember seeing this, But another question with this is it OHLE or 3rd rail or both>?????

Will have to wait and see but sure it will come around in time.

Gary

Do you mean E20001-3 which were apparently known as "Hornbys" ?

I think the availability of suburban (or non-express) stock makes the Southern attractive to model to non-builders of stock. The sheer variety of Southern rtr stock available outnumbers the rest. When I was young GWR models were in a similar position - of course that is now ancient history.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

In a similar way, I'm convinced that the recent flowering of Souther motive power and coaches from Hornby has resulted in a few Southern layouts that would otherwise not have been built or even considered.

Too true, squire - oops, sorry - Cap'n! After 25 years of investing in US HO, a portion of the layout has been ripped up and a Southern-in-the-South-West scene is under construction. An O2 will not look terribly out of place, although an 0298 would - my station being rather east of Wadebridge. In another place, people are crying in their tea that there are not more Kernows, doing the same thing for other parts of the former Southern Railway. Knowing my luck, the implausible will happen, and Brighton tanks will suddenly become the rage, just as the paint is dry on my last bit of the South West!

• RMweb Gold
Taking the Captains point further, I wonder how many layouts would turn back the clock to pre-war days if someone were to produce a few MR clerestory coaches and LNWR/WCJS 12-wheelers, both ideally suited to plastic moulding

Quite. I suspect there is a large potential market out there, should the right pre-grouping prototypes become available, and folk realise how attractive they were.

• RMweb Premium

The sheer variety of Southern rtr stock available outnumbers the rest. When I was young GWR models were in a similar position - of course that is now ancient history.

Best, Pete.

ok let's do a head count....

Southern RTR: Merchant Navy, WC/BoB (orig & rebuilt), Nelson, King Arthur, Schools, Q1, N Class, M7, T9, Terrier, plus the O2, Beattie Well Tank and the Triplets yet to be seen in shops. That gives 14.

LMS RTR: Duchess (streamlined and defrocked), Princess, Jubliee, Scott (orig & rebuilt), Patriot (orig & rebuilt), 8F, 7F. Black 5, 4F, Fowler tank, Stanier tank, Fairburn tank, Ivatt tender and tank, 2P, Compound, Jinty, Pug, plus the 3F and the Twins yet to be seen. That gives 23. (was there a rebuilt Jubilee done too?)

That's just off the top of my head. But it does illustrate that the southern doesn't have the often stated lion's share of the models. The lack of southern tanks and goods types is also notable.

It would be interesting if someone could complete this for GWR and LNER types plus the BR standards.

....... I wonder how many layouts would turn back the clock to pre-war days if someone were to produce a few MR clerestory coaches and LNWR/WCJS 12-wheelers, both ideally suited to plastic moulding.

WHAT.... :O Do they know how long it took me to scratch build a set..... still the Modellers World 12 wheel diner which at least was/is an etched kit, that was a start.

About 40 years ago I took up the question of there being mainly GWR items available with the late Cyril Freezer - his reply was that GWR stuff sold, my reply that there was only GWR items available thus the public could only buy GWR, didn't cut the mustard....

Penlan said :

WHAT.... ohmy.gif Do they know how long it took me to scratch build a set..... even the Modellers World 12 wheel diner which at least was/is an etched kit.

I can well imagine. They are not quickies and this is why I said they are ideally suited to plastic moulding, especially with that waist strip.

• RMweb Premium

ok let's do a head count....

Southern RTR: Merchant Navy, WC/BoB (orig & rebuilt), Nelson, King Arthur, Schools, Q1, N Class, M7, T9, Terrier, plus the O2, Beattie Well Tank and the Triplets yet to be seen in shops. That gives 14.

LMS RTR: Duchess (streamlined and defrocked), Princess, Jubliee, Scott (orig & rebuilt), Patriot (orig & rebuilt), 8F, 7F. Black 5, 4F, Fowler tank, Stanier tank, Fairburn tank, Ivatt tender and tank, Jinty, Pug, plus the 3F and the Twins yet to be seen. That gives 21. (was there a rebuilt Jubilee done too?)

That's just off the top of my head. But it does illustrate that the southern doesn't have the often stated lion's share of the models. The lack of southern tanks and goods types is also notable.

It would be interesting if someone could complete this for GWR and LNER types plus the BR standards.

For LNER I make it, including models announced but not yet produced:-

A1, A2, A3, A4, B1,B17,J39,K3, L1,O4,V2. I make that 11. Not a lot is it? I've not included the various 40 year old efforts which are still in the catalogues, but light years short of modern standards.In fact, I've just checked carefully again, as I couldn't believe there were so few, especially taking into account that three of these don't exist yet, and one other has only just arrived. :(

In BR days numbers ran from 60001 to 69936. From Class K3(61800- 61982) there were 52 classes of loco before you got to 69936. That doesn't include sub classes.Of those 52, how many are available in modern RTR form? Just three.I don't know what sort of share that would be described as, but your average lion wouldn't survive very long on it!

For LNER I make it, including models announced but not yet produced:-

A1, A2, A3, A4, B1,B17,J39,K3, L1,O4,V2. I make that 11. Not a lot is it? I've not included the various 40 year old efforts which are still in the catalogues, but light years short of modern standards.In fact, I've just checked carefully again, as I couldn't believe there were so few, especially taking into account that three of these don't exist yet, and one other has only just arrived. :(

In BR days numbers ran from 60001 to 69936. From Class K3(61800- 61982) there were 52 classes of loco before you got to 69936. That doesn't include sub classes.Of those 52, how many are available in modern RTR form? Just three.I don't know what sort of share that would be described as, but your average lion wouldn't survive very long on it!

plus V1, V3, J72, J83 ........ I don't often reply to this sort of post, but guys, this whinging should stop. The manufacturers produce what they believe will sell. If you want something, let them know directly and VOTE

Sorry rant over

Norm

• RMweb Premium

plus V1, V3, J72, J83 ........ I don't often reply to this sort of post, but guys, this whinging should stop. The manufacturers produce what they believe will sell. If you want something, let them know directly and VOTE

Sorry rant over

Norm

Norm

Didn't think it was whinging! just putting some hard data to compare the relative models produced. I just get a bit tired of the "not another Southern loco, it's not fair" type posts. The numbers so far show that it's not the often quoted lion's share (although any model is a bonus) and that was my point. i am however really pleased that a shop like Kernow is associated with 3 of these. i do indeed VOTE, and have been rewarded in recent years with the T9, Beattie and now the O2 off my personal hit list.

Norm

Didn't think it was whinging! just putting some hard data to compare the relative models produced. I just get a bit tired of the "not another Southern loco, it's not fair" type posts. The numbers so far show that it's not the often quoted lion's share (although any model is a bonus) and that was my point. i am however really pleased that a shop like Kernow is associated with 3 of these. i do indeed VOTE, and have been rewarded in recent years with the T9, Beattie and now the O2 off my personal hit list.

Wasn't really directed at you 2ManySpams - I think I know whereabouts your interest lies!!. I thought it was GN who first posted the supposed complete list of ER models available. However the point is that this is a great hobby

All steamers are interesting wherever they ran, and we should be grateful that we have such a huge range of highly detailed models to choose from. The next part of the equation of course

is to find a balanced stud of motive power and coaching stock for a particular region/time period and regardless of where one falls on that scale it is easier by far now than as recently as 10 years ago.

As a boy when my interest in model railways was starting you basically got one big green (or blue) engine, and possibly one mixed traffic engine mostly in black for each region. Things have improved 1000% since then

and like you I get really tired of the constant complaints. As I said - and this is directed at everyone - make your interests known to the manufacturers, but meantime enjoy the highly detailed models that are available and thank your lucky stars

you are modelling today and not back in the 1950's and 1960's

GN this is not really directed at you either - I am just tired of constant complaints from a lot of people here that ones special favourites are not jumped on by Hornby/Bachmann. My latest pet hate is what happened with the *BP*

Constant posts , constant polls and plotting to make sure everyone would vote for the ****** thing, and then what happens? After the Olivias Trains/Bachmann fiasco it emerges that only the Midland version will emerge and then all the

whining from the WR contingent started up again and will probably continue till Bachmann cave in and produce the different cars

Oh and add J94 and (still obtainable from the likes of ebay) N2 to the list of available ER models

OK now my rant is really over. Apologies I'm normally very mild mannered

Norm

• RMweb Premium

Anyway, back to topic.....

For those interested in the IoW versions of the O2 i can heartily recommend a recent book by Ian Drummond published by Holne Publishing (a new name to me) "Southern Rails on the Isle of Wight". Vol 1 covers the central and freshwater lines. Vol 2 is out shortly and presumeably covers the remainder. Vol 1 has some great photos in, lots of O2s.

• RMweb Premium

Lovely - another range of locos to force me to stretch the imagination - but the O2 DID run in Scotland, didn't it? :lol:

In all honesty, these commissions are starting to expand the market for RTR so much and that has to be to the greater good of the hobby.

• RMweb Premium

Lovely - another range of locos to force me to stretch the imagination - but the O2 DID run in Scotland, didn't it? :lol:

I think you'll find they ran in Scotland and all other regions as part of the almost unknown 1958 loco exchanges - sadly all records of this event were destroyed by rats in the BR archive.... I think therefore that every modeller can rightly justify one or two.... :lol:

Well done Kernow for taking the bold step of commisioning Dapol to produce the Adams 02. Along with the Beattie Well Tanks I hope they sell like hot cakes. Then perhaps there will be further production runs in 1930s Southern Railway livery of both models.

Then perhaps in the not too distant future they could also produce the Adams Radial 4-4-2T and the Adams T3. We live in hope.

• RMweb Premium

Wasn't really directed at you 2ManySpams - I think I know whereabouts your interest lies!!. I thought it was GN who first posted the supposed complete list of ER models available. However the point is that this is a great hobby

All steamers are interesting wherever they ran, and we should be grateful that we have such a huge range of highly detailed models to choose from. The next part of the equation of course

is to find a balanced stud of motive power and coaching stock for a particular region/time period and regardless of where one falls on that scale it is easier by far now than as recently as 10 years ago.

As a boy when my interest in model railways was starting you basically got one big green (or blue) engine, and possibly one mixed traffic engine mostly in black for each region. Things have improved 1000% since then

and like you I get really tired of the constant complaints. As I said - and this is directed at everyone - make your interests known to the manufacturers, but meantime enjoy the highly detailed models that are available and thank your lucky stars

you are modelling today and not back in the 1950's and 1960's

GN this is not really directed at you either - I am just tired of constant complaints from a lot of people here that ones special favourites are not jumped on by Hornby/Bachmann. My latest pet hate is what happened with the *BP*

Constant posts , constant polls and plotting to make sure everyone would vote for the ****** thing, and then what happens? After the Olivias Trains/Bachmann fiasco it emerges that only the Midland version will emerge and then all the

whining from the WR contingent started up again and will probably continue till Bachmann cave in and produce the different cars

Oh and add J94 and (still obtainable from the likes of ebay) N2 to the list of available ER models

OK now my rant is really over. Apologies I'm normally very mild mannered

Norm

I have asked the moderators for permission to reply to this, and Norm's earlier post, and they have kindly agreed. First, as to the "supposed complete list" of ER models referred to. May I point out that I was careful to say that I had excluded a number of old models which do not come up to modern standards. All of those referred as additionally available save for the V1/3, which is effectively one locomotive, fall into that category. I apologise for overlooking the V1.

I responded to a request for a list of LNER locos. I also pointed out the very top heavy nature of what is available - nearly all big glamorous types and very few workhorses. I cannot see where I asked for "my special favourites to be given preference". I have spent much time trying to deal with the vexed question of new steam models in a sensible and rational manner, so I have to say I found the above somewhat galling. However, enough now, and I will cease taking this thread off track.

• RMweb Premium

GN

regardless of the railway company badge it's good to see attention is now turning to the smaller, less glamorous types. Obviously i won't carry the exercise on in this thread but looking at all the steam types produced does show a bias towards the big named passenger types and the long, many-wheeled goods locos. Not everybody runs mainline layouts and so i really hope the Beattie and O2 pay off for kernow, paving the way for a re-focusing on the many smaller, less glamourous and quirky types.

I'll take a punt and predict that the O2 does better than the similar M7. Why? The fact that they will suit many branch layouts AND the IoW cult status AND for the general public that some carried names. Judging by how many pre-nationalisation liveried locos you see in the sale bins though, will the nice LSWR and SR liveries be produced as some hope? Strange, you'ld have throught Joe Public would go for the non-black schemes.

As others have pointed out the problem with small branch locos generally is a lack of 2nd or 3rd line coaching stock to run with them.... But agaiin that's another thread! On the positive side there must be dozens of very modellable steamers for the manfacturers to consider, whereas the opportunities for the diesel boys at least are much thinner.

Happy times indeed (apart from the bank balance)!

• RMweb Premium

If 10203 was built at Brighton, it is inconceivable that it would not have tested on the main line. This is, as we know, a right race-track, and has been regarded as such for more than a century, since B4 #70 "Holyrood" did Vic-Brighton in 48m 41secs on 26th July 1903, hauling 3 Pullmans and a van - and that 7 years before the four-tracking extended beyond Earlswood! I would have thought a test train with a dynamometer car might indeed have paused at Balcombe to run round in the yard, perhaps....

48 minutes... That's slow. I've seen a film showing it done in four... ;)

But seriously, my wallet breathed a sigh of relief at Kernow's announcement because none of these models fit my modelling period (late 60s/70s). But 10203 looks like it will be seriously tempting...

Anyway, back to topic.....

For those interested in the IoW versions of the O2 i can heartily recommend a recent book by Ian Drummond published by Holne Publishing (a new name to me) "Southern Rails on the Isle of Wight". Vol 1 covers the central and freshwater lines. Vol 2 is out shortly and presumeably covers the remainder. Vol 1 has some great photos in, lots of O2s.

I agree that is a very good book and vol 2 is also available. The 02 is a great announcement, already got one on order but like the other comments it would be fantastic to have good sales so we see other liveries on them too!

I have asked the moderators for permission to reply to this, and Norm's earlier post, and they have kindly agreed.

And we'd like to thank Great Northern for approaching us first about this :D - definitely the preferred way to go in these kind of circumstances.

Archived