The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Awful events, Dom.

On a lighter note MANY HAPPY RETURNS! to Young Mike!

I understand that Gordon was successful and that Kenton has been under the weather....trust he gets better soon.

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/510952

Best, Pete.

I especially like the 'young' bit Pete, thanks. :sungum:   And that is a smashing pic - looks like either Photodshop or some US LED signals are even more strongly lit than some over here.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all.

All Christmas decorations have been removed (apart from Chris Moose who can stay until 12th Night). Our artificial tree is very realistic and there were artificial pine needles everywhere requiring extensive vacuuming.

• RMweb Gold

I especially like the 'young' bit Pete, thanks. :sungum:   And that is a smashing pic - looks like either Photodshop or some US LED signals are even more strongly lit than some over here.

Something (vaguely) similar I was playing with on 30 November - the effect has been weakened by resizing.

post-6662-0-50398800-1420217515_thumb.jpg

post-6662-0-62210800-1420217495_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all.

All Christmas decorations have been removed (apart from Chris Moose who can stay until 12th Night). Our artificial tree is very realistic and there were artificial pine needles everywhere requiring extensive vacuuming.

I suggested removing the decorations today - I survived the fallout, but only just. My Jill thinks it's bad luck to take them down before 12th night so they are staying, thank you very much !

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Nice picture that Pete and showing a proper OH route. I worked with 8way arms but 10 way would be a bit more of a stretch particularly when trying to reach through the lower layer.

Don

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Good 2nd day of the new year.

Black clouds gave way to sunshine and blue sky, and the wind died right down.

Just the thing for a walk round town.

Bought a railway mag to read but...

Warning!

It's the 70th Anniversary of the film Brief Encounter.

So, how much more space will be devoted to it in the mags this year?

How many of us will model it on our own layouts?

Will Laura and Alec part company on the platform or in the cafe?

Who will turn up at an exhibition with their layout or diorama in black and white?

Who will be running, selling or buying Brief Encounter trains, locos and accessories?

Who will venture on a St Valentine's Day romantic rail tour to see the film?

Who will buy or rent the commemorative DVD?

The list could go on....

but I wouldn't mind trying this out, (and also get a peek of WCRC)

http://www.carnforthstation.co.uk/

Edited by southern42
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

I suggested removing the decorations today - I survived the fallout, but only just. My Jill thinks it's bad luck to take them down before 12th night so they are staying, thank you very much !

My mother used to consider it unlucky to leave decorations up after 12th night. I don't recall any predictions about early removal of tree. As a toy moose remains he can presumably defend us from random events.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Decorations were dismantled and returned to loft yesterday, simply because of the logistics.

Best  part of a day to put up, 30 minutes to take down and pack away.

The crib remains until at least 12th night as the wise men haven't even made their appearance on the scene yet.

They may get a shock as last year they were on a window-sill but this year they are under the TV between the loudspeakers

• RMweb Premium

Feeling a bit better and hungry, so Königsberger Klopse are cooking currently. Will probably limit myself to the sofa after dinner, though.

Forecast predicts very windy weather (up to hurricane strength on the coast and in the mountains) mixed with rain and snow. Yuck.

My mother used to consider it unlucky to leave decorations up after 12th night. I don't recall any predictions about early removal of tree. As a toy moose remains he can presumably defend us from random events.

My Mother said the opposite like Jill’s - unlucky to remove before 12th Night which is the Eve of Epiphany.

Best, Pete.

I think the snow enhanced the effect too.......

Best, Pete.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It is important to keep these memories alive.

I'm not sure. A lifetime later might it not be better to draw a line and consign them to the history books? Because we also have to remember...

In four raids between 13 and 15 February 1945, 722 heavy bombers of the British Royal Air Force and 527 of the United States Army Air Forces dropped more than 3,900 tons of high-explosive bombs and incendiary devices on the city of Dresden. The bombing and the resulting firestorm destroyed over 1,600 acres of the city centre. An estimated 22,700 to 25,000 people were killed.

A uranium gun-type atomic bomb (Little Boy) was dropped on Hiroshima on August 6, 1945, followed by a plutonium implosion-type bomb (Fat Man) on the city of Nagasaki on August 9. Within the first two to four months of the bombings, the acute effects of the atomic bombings killed 90,000–166,000 people in Hiroshima and 39,000–80,000 in Nagasaki; roughly half of the deaths in each city occurred on the first day. During the following months, large numbers died from the effect of burns, radiation sickness, and other injuries, compounded by illness and malnutrition. In both cities, most of the dead were civilians.

Martin.

• RMweb Gold

My veto regarding removal of decorations had nothing to do with any thoughts of bad luck. My back and I had had enough for the day!  :yes:  It seems I've got away with it without punishment as a very nice meal has just been prepared (and eaten)......................unless there's a slow acting poison in it!  :scratchhead: 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

This year they are staying till 12th night as my other half pointed out they came down last year 2 days after boxing day and 2014 was not a good year for many reasons.

Hence the removal of the tree etc awaits, anything to keep her happy lol!  Not much done in the shed this afternoon due to exertions playing tennis, to much Xmas pud I think!

• RMweb Premium

Certainly no ER for me today as I was suffering the effects of our day late NYE party....... (it was a day late due to wife's work hosting a "proper" NYE party the night before)

It's been awhile since I last had a vodka, Tia Maria & Baileys cocktail until last night that involved about 4 of them.................... :drink_mini:

I've no problem with the timing of removal of decorations because we never put any up - Bah humbug..........

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Evenin' all

WW2 - like WW1 - had no winners, only losers. In my mind it is important to call the European aggressors Nazis, because I have known some fine Germans - and we have one such on our part of the forum. Whether use of the atom bomb to stop the war in Asia was justified I know not. Few of us believe that killing is right, but the logic at the time was that the use of nuclear bombs prevented even more deaths. We live in calmer times, yet even now hate and revenge are watchwords in the tabloids. Civilisation is a relative term, perhaps.

In recent days I have had PMs from two respected RMwebbers - not normally ERs - telling me of major health issues. You would not expect me to divulge names.

The Christmas pic of Sherry I posted on Facebook has received nearly 60 "likes" despite the subject wishing she looked better! At f1.8 Sherry is sharply in focus, while the background is very diffused. One of my better photographic efforts.

50 years ago tonight, I was in the Crescent cinema in Leatherhead with a young lady from the school year below Sherry. She now lives in Los Angeles. 50 years before that - well, we all know what was afoot in 1915.

Hope your first weekend of 2015 goes swimmingly!

• RMweb Premium

Evening all,went to Preston today through the peak district lovely views nearly as good as Yorkshire! Only things spring cleaned so far the outside animals and the bigger snakes. Tomorrow will be organising provisions for the boy and Sunday taking him back..

.Was it something you said?....50 years ago tonight, I was in the Crescent cinema in Leatherhead with a young lady from the school year below Sherry. She now lives in Los Angeles

Forgot to add Happy Birthday Mike.

Edited by skipepsi

As far as I know, which is never very far, it is considered unlucky to leave up decorations after 12th. night. To do with Joseph, Mary and Jesus departing from Bethlehem to escape King Herod at that time. According to Qi, Christmas was celebrated from November to February, so you choose, it's probably safer not to argue anyway.   :nono:

• Like 3

The Coptic and Orthodox churches celebrate Christmas on January 7th. The Armenian Church celebrate on January 17th.

And the island of Foula (pop. 38) also still adheres to the Julian Calendar - so celebrates Christmas at Epihany

Edited by Coombe Barton
  • Like 1