RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Evening all!

Once the fog had lifted its been a cracking day!

Mowed the lawn.

Hoovered

Fitted sound chip - it worked - changes loco id .. no longer works .... what have I done now?  Tried to use SPROG...."your driver is not loading correctly".. great!

so fitted couplings to another loco.. fine.. then gear went out of mesh ..why?  loco body touching flywheel.....dremel used to clear whitemetal... hoovered floor...

made tea.. ate it and now just about recovered from umpiring and things going wrong..

DD is that a 110 centre car from the Calder valley units? (like the Hornby one)

Ian Abel - just enjoy the trip on the canal.. we always enjoyed ours even when her indoors walked off the wrong side of the narrowboat near Skipton on teh Leeds Liverpool canal.. it was snowing at the time and she has never forgiven me for laughing!

Baz

• Like 14

Car tyre turned out to have a screw in it  - and not at all loose hence it was only losing air slowly.  It now has a 'mushroom' repair in it - at 18 quid that was considerably more amenable than having to lash out getting on for ten times that amount on a new Cinturato.

Mike, I probably shouldn't tell you this (but I will). I deal with a local tire shop, and plug repairs of tires are free. I don't think this is unusual, as long as the tires were bought from the shop repairing them.

I was eventually offered a job which involved moving house and home in 2 weeks, so I told them I would confirm my acceptance in writing. HR kept pestering me and I kept saying I'll confirm it in writing, it got to the last minute of the last day and I sent them an email.

To confirm, I accept there is no position for me in this company and so I will be taking the redundancy option.

That left them a hole to fill with only 2 days notice, funny, they seemed to have assumed I was going to take their offer.

I had something similar happen. The organisation I worked for outsourced various parts of their operations, including the IT bit I was in. I opted not to go, but to stay with the existing organisation. Since there were to be no IT jobs left in the organisation, that meant I was supposed to be made redundant. However, we were less than a month away from implementation of a new multi-million dollar system, and I was (literally) the only person who knew many of the details of how we were going to cut over a significant part of it. It really was a case of who was going to blink first. At 4 p.m. on what was to be my last day at work, I got an e-mail telling me that I was being appointed to a temporary position within the parent organisation. There was no way that I could perform the work as described in the job description, it wasn't an IT position, but it saved face, and I could continue to do my job much as it had been before.

I was very lucky, and came out of the whole thing very well. Going back to an earlier post by Il Dottore, who is in an awkward work predicament and seems to be under strong pressure because of his stance, I would say don't let people pressure you to do things that would make life easier for them, but harder for you. Remember - you didn't create the situation - they did, and they have to live with the consequences, whether they like them or not. And if the changes are being made for financial reasons, well, here's a financial cost of your actions - deal with it! 

Edited by pH
  • Like 3

evening all,catching up again.....been busy lately at work,and home,jack has discovered the joys of Nintendo,and is currently showing me how to get the best performance from the vaious cars on the hot wheels game......hes 3 1/2,im 45....well nearly and running rings round me...scary....although ive still got him on the ropes with the dcc stuff...for now at least ! loike the commecnt on the old pc by old dudders,we have a old Panasonic at work,best part of 10 years old and still functioning perfectly,its replacement dell is falling apart and has 2 keys missing and a dodgy screen,its 18 months old.....bit like my old olymipus camera,heavy and well over 25 years old and still works perfectly,have a good evening all and hopefully a good day tomorrow,keep safe all.

• Like 12

On a much lighter note - I was playing soccer this morning in a public park, and we had an interesting spectator - a black bear. I say 'interesting' and not 'interested' as it didn't pay us much attention. It just strolled round two sides of the field, shook a couple of trees, scratched itself on one, investigated a drain, then wandered off towards the river at the side of the park. It was funny how the play stayed on one side of the park while the bear was around.  

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Evening all.  Another enjoyable walk in the sunshine.  My opponent had one of these.  If I'd not seen one, I'd swear it was April 1st.

Somewhat unsettling to walk down a fairway with something following you...

It's behind you... :jester:

https://youtu.be/HHivFGrtiuE

I bet it can't follow me through a stream.............

Bad etiquette in the last few seconds as it drives over a tee bed.

Very ER for me at 6.30am to pick up for a driving test. At least I could nip to the local Greggs for breakfast whilst he was out on test (and a pass!).

Blimmin' cold as I had to scrape some ice off the roof before I could attach the magnetic roof sign!

Didn't finish until 8.15pm today after most of it on the road. a couple of 20-30 min breaks kept me going.

That's the problem with being self-employed and wanting a couple of days off to play golf - long hours to get in front or catch up - so it's a late finish Thursday and longish day Friday whilst I spend Tuesday/ Wednesday and Thursday morning in Harrogate in a golf trip. Only a couple of miles from Starbeck Models, so I'll probably nip in there at some point.

Probably a bit late on the camera front, but I recently bought a Fuji S9400W with built in wifi to transmit pictures to my tablet. With the appropriate app, I can view them from the tablet. If I'm moving them to a laptop/PC, I either connect a USB cable or take the card out and plug it in the reader. Although there is a PC program to do the same as the tablet, I haven't installed it yet.

Cheers,

Mick

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 14

Oh and for the curious, and those who like vintage buses, a google of one of our members' webnames gives this beautiful example of one of Leyland's finest flying machines - I remeber travelling back from school on one of its earlier sisters and it got up to some pretty prodigious speeds for a bus.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/emdjt42/6321320265/

Stewart, buses, even of that era, could reach pretty good speeds. The Western SMT coaches used on the Glasgow-London services (the black and white ones) could do 70mph without any difficulty. The main influence on the speeds was the governor setting and the main influences, in turn, on that were the bus's regular duty and the relationship of the regular driver with the mechanics. 

Stewart, buses, even of that era, could reach pretty good speeds. The Western SMT coaches used on the Glasgow-London services (the black and white ones) could do 70mph without any difficulty. The main influence on the speeds was the governor setting and the main influences, in turn, on that were the bus's regular duty and the relationship of the regular driver with the mechanics. 

Yup I'd agree - after I restored Ml2341, I regularly had well over 60 mph out of it - and about 18mpg as well. Leyland O.600 with 4 speed semi crash gearbox and single ratio diff.

No power steering and a short steering column made it somewhat difficult for long (ish) legged people like me, bruised thigh muscle after a long day of double de-clutching when the left leg makes contact with the underside of the wheel, twice on each gear change.

Possibly my proudest moment, first rally outing. All my own work - including painting by brush!

post-1525-0-84199200-1429565291_thumb.jpg

Edited by leopardml2341
  • Like 19

Finally managed to get online today.  The day was spent in Carlisle, with Mrs G shopping for 'Mother of the Groom' outfit.  She first had two hours on her own, so I pottered around and watched a few Pendolinos in Carlisle Citadel.  Then we caught up and spent another 2+ hours looking at more outfits, finding one that was really nice, but needed some slight adjustment, but the shop had no-one to do the adjustment so we went away fed up.  Drove back to Whitehaven, found same outfit there, along with their suggestion of a tailor to make the adjustments, so outfit bought and sent to tailor.  Mrs G is now happier, and I am relieved that we now only need a hat, shoes and handbag. 

I recall a canal holiday in September 1975 - 6 of us from Brunel University on a fortnight long floating pub crawl - wonderful.  Had another a couple of years back with Mrs G, but sadly many fewer pubs were visited.  She also had to operate most of the locks, as it appeared that she had a complete inability to steer a boat into (and out of) a lock, so I had to do that!

• Like 2

"Oh where tell me where is this single-decker going?"

"It's goin' tae the shed mac, wid ye hurry an' get oan."

"But up there it says Scotstoun. I demand you take me there!"

"It's got India on the tyres mac, but it isn'ae goin' ther.'"

(to the tune The Bluebells of Scotland)

Edited by AndyID
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Finally managed to get online today.  The day was spent in Carlisle, with Mrs G shopping for 'Mother of the Groom' outfit.  She first had two hours on her own, so I pottered around and watched a few Pendolinos in Carlisle Citadel. 

I hope you detoured into C&M Models in the meantime!

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 5

G’night, Jock!

I think I’ve said before I have quite a collection of bloody expensive Glenmorangie single malts given me by friends and family. I still prefer the regular Glenmorangie over all the specials (though I like them now and again).

I believe  it is to impress Americans when I pull out a selection of bottles at over $200.00 each one!

Best, Pete.

• Like 13

G’night, Jock!

I think I’ve said before I have quite a collection of bloody expensive Glenmorangie single malts given me by friends and family. I still prefer the regular Glenmorangie over all the specials (though I like them now and again).

I believe it is to impress Americans when I pull out a selection of bottles at over $200.00 each one!

Best, Pete.

Thanks Pete,

My late brother, naturalised in the U.S. and a dollar millionaire, used to do just that with 'fine wines' to impress people like business associates at dinner parties! I recall pouring a 'corked' Lafitte which from opening, I wouldn't have poured on chips such was the acrid 'old socks' smell. He had paid $2400 per bottle for a case at auction. I made sure I poured it all for him and his guests and you might guess that he declared it "nectar" on tasting and all the sycophants he had around him agreed! Sadly, there wasn't enough left for Joanna and I so I selected a vintage Rioja for us which I could never justify in terms of expense even if I was wealthy - it was very fine!! I was rather proud to have the last laugh on him, having been demeaningly ordered to the cellar to fetch and pour. I didn't bother to educate him later, in case he did it again hahaha! So much snobbery of the 'I can afford it and you can't kind' associated with rare but not necessarily fine wines and spirits.

Sleep well when it gets to night time,

Kind regards,

Jock.

Edited by Jock67B
  • Like 15

Lafitte which from opening, I wouldn't have poured on chips such was the acrid 'old socks

I suppose if it had been on lafitte it would smell like les old socks, n'es pas?

Edited by AndyID