Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Leo was 5 when he moved to England after we married. Pat had trained him well from day one as a puppy. He was taken out and toiletted at all times of day and night. She trained him really well. She worked nights and had a 2nd job at weekends. This meant that sometimes he would be home alone for 15 hours or more. He never had a household faux pas.

He hardly ever barked, once at someone wearing a hat on Westbury station and about 8 to 10 other times since being in England from 2006. Strangely he took a strong dislike to a rather innocuous guy that lived in the flats we lived at, never barking but growling whenever he saw him. The guy was so friendly though.

We would feed Leo and if he knew we were off to work later he would leave his food until we got home. He had a severe seizure/stroke in 2008 but has had 7 good years since.

Thanks to all for the comments. Pat is pretty devastated but we know its for best.

• RMweb Premium

Evening all! 

Sorry to hear about Leo.

I am #knack88ed after a longish game today.. Hull 1st XI 206 from 50 overs, Leeds University 3rd XI 208 for 4 from 28 overs...

Watched the end of the Leeds/Bradford MCCU v Oxford Uni game.. Leeds needed to score 100 in under 10 overs to get 2 extra bowling points .. enter one Billy Root .. 40 scored off 12 balls..2*4s, 5 * 6s - 108-3 off 8 overs.. crash and bash - who needs IPL??

Have a great Thursday everyone I am off to strangle some more wires on Grantham.

Baz

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Basildon is twinned with both Meaux in France and Helinghaus in Germany. I have made several visits to Meaux through the twinning association, via our model railway club and the model railway club in Meaux, we attend each others exhibitions on alternate years. It is situated just east of Paris quite close to Euro-Disney. I've never had the opportunity to visit Helinghaus though I would hope to some day as it is very close to Wuppertal, famous for its suspended monorail. http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wuppertal_Suspension_Railway

I expect the German language version of 'suspended monorail' is probably 'danglebahn'   (but perhaps that's a sort of Teutonic equivalent of Franglais?)

G'night all

• Like 5

I expect the German language version of 'suspended monorail' is probably 'danglebahn' (but perhaps that's a sort of Teutonic equivalent of Franglais?)

G'night all

I think that any place that has a 'danglebahn' should automatically be twinned with Basildon (or Staines) ;-) Edited by lightengine
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

The master plan for Basildon did not include a railway station as everyone in the town was going to have local employment. As the lure of London was so great a station was added to the plan to avoid going to Pitsea or Laindon.

Edited by Tony_S

Morning all,

LE, I can't help but feel for you and Pat but you did make the best decision. I have said it before, but the depth of your grief for your pet is measured only by the depth of your love for it! Joanna and I are thinking of you. RIP Leo.

Parking - something that has almost seized up Harlow in Essex where my parents used to live. The town was originally designed in 1952 when there was a car to every four households. When I left to go to Uni in the late sixties, my parents had a four bedroom house with five children, two of whom could drive which meant that, with mum's car and dad's van, we had four vehicles in our household alone. I went back there when dad died around nine years ago (my youngest brother had bought the house and held the wake there!) and simply couldn't believe the parking chaos - not a piece of kerb to be seen anywhere on the estate, and a walk of over half a mile from the nearest available spot. I hate to think what living there is like now!

Earned a few brownie points this afternoon as I got round to utilising my magic patio weeding machine - I'm sure I mentioned it before with its electrically driven stiff nylon rotating brush that you simply walk up and down the joints in the slabs with! Half completed, the rest planned for tomorrow and then a pressure wash which should keep me in the good books for a while! Joanna of course took the opportunity to mention 'that the block paved driveway would look good treated like that!'

Hope the rest of the week is kind to you all and that that those with ailments, like Neil, are on the road to recovery,

Kind regards,

Jock.

G'night Pete! G'night all!

• Like 16

I expect the German language version of 'suspended monorail' is probably 'danglebahn'   (but perhaps that's a sort of Teutonic equivalent of Franglais?)

"Schwebebahn", lit . "floating way". Sounds very Zen, come to think of it...

• Like 5

LE - really sorry to hear about Leo. But you did the best thing for him, and that's the main thing. It's always hard, but it's a release.

Beyond that - had a busy day, so off to bed. Good night all, sound sleep and sweet dreams.

• RMweb Gold

That is what is called putting a "positive spin" on Basildon.................I believe it had the first McDonalds in the county.............. :mail:

Best, Pete.

The first Mcdonalds I ever went in was in Romford when my father had to visit his head office one day when we were on school holidays. Our first taste of all things American. However when across the pond its very rare for us to go into McDonalds!!

Only ever visited Basildon once.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all and a Happy St.George's Day,

Dry and 8oC at the moment. The day will start cloudy and dull but should brighten up by midday and hopefully it will be a sunny afternoon with some light winds.

I've just done my back in putting out  bags of garden waste. My neighbour and I share this duty (whoever thinks of it first) I wish I hadn't this morning as one of his bags must contain a dead body or something similar judging by the weight of it. The bins are due as well today so I think I'll let him do them. (I know one of mine is bl##dy heavy because it contains a considerable number of empty bottles from last weekend's celebration!

Shopping later with Herself which is important because beer & wine stocks are running low! (Also carrots!!)

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob

Morning All,

Sorry to hear about Leo - that is was the best decision doesn't make it any easier to make.

The sun is shining, the sky is blue, and the gateposts are taking shape nicely.  However, I am in a bit of a bad mood this morning. 

I had an issue in the office yesterday, which involved setting a deadline to get something done.  The deadline has now expired, and the event in question has been carried out in full.  However, someone else has now decided to get involved and turn everything on its head.  Just another day - business as usual!

Have a good day everyone...

• RMweb Premium

Looks like it will be nice weather today, St George's Day here in Leeds.

I find it poor that our council have a St Patrick's Day parade but nowt, nadda, zip for our own Patron Saint.

So hey ho, have a great day and hope you all have a good one!

Baz

Tax. Tasmanian K1 Barratt now on the WHR.

Launceston looks very Liverpoolish building wise

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Morning all. Sunshine outside, coffee made. SWMBO not at work today due to dentistry to be carried out in the early afternoon, so she's sleeping in. I definitely couldn't if I were in her place...

Parking - something that has almost seized up Harlow in Essex where my parents used to live. 

Gee, don't get me started with parking… It's very bad with that in this corner of Leipzig, and after, say, 4 to 5 pm, it's next to impossible to find any spot that's closer than one to two blocks away. Which is why I positively loathe going anywhere by car in the afternoon or evening! Cars also routinely park on the crosshatched areas at every intersection, which is why, in turn, the city regularly sorties police support officers for dealing out fines. Not that it seems to impress anyone much...

Possible ballasting attempt today.

Hope I don't get stoned.

The H&S Department recommends: Stay away from those hoppers, then.

• Like 8

Looks like it will be nice weather today, St George's Day here in Leeds.

I find it poor that our council have a St Patrick's Day parade but nowt, nadda, zip for our own Patron Saint.

So hey ho, have a great day and hope you all have a good one!

Baz

Tax. Tasmanian K1 Barratt now on the WHR.

Launceston looks very Liverpoolish building wise

You got in one Barry, spot on, well done that man and thankyou for the Liverpool connection.

Tex. (smelling pistake there, K1 Garrett. ) Must have hit B instead of G.

Edited by Tassie Tex
  • Like 10

Morning all.

I've woken up in a sickening "reasons to be cheerful" mood this morning, and will no doubt upset loads of folk by telling them to "turn their frown upside down". I can be really bloody annoying when I'm in a good mood...

Was it Tony that mentioned poor mobile signal in Norfolk? Probably very true in general. Live outside a metropolis and I guess you run the risk of patchy service. Here in sleepy Sheringham, Vodafone has long come out on top. The town itself is fine for signal strength but walk along the coast path towards the lifeboat station and you have more chance of spotting an incoming longboat full of Vikings than you have of making or receiving a call.

Have a great Thursday.

• Like 13