RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Breakfast soon and off to the airport.

The hotel has WiFi so I should be able to post a few pictures of the lake.

Tony

I've already seen a lake so will you do some of the surroundings too?

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

just for Jock

City of Carlisle - polished and fitted with a Zimo 646 sound decoder

And the other Duchess lovers here - me included - but Baz, don't forget the train warning otherwise Debs gets annoyed

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Have a good time all those on their holiday break(s) and keep them photos coming. DD been there, done that got the T-shirt, I once picked up the wrong spray and used fly spray instead of deodorant. I knew straight away what I had done as the fly spray was a lot heavier and also very 'oily'. I vowed to put my glasses on before using deodorant in future. I see on the news this morning that Miss Piggy and Kermit have ended their relationship as announced on social media. It is by mutual agreement but hope there is a pre-nuptial agreement in place. :jester:

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Whatever will the college do when Aditi retires?

There have been suggestions about popping back occasionally to chair some accreditation boards or do some maternity cover but I suspect the college will see not replacing her as a good way of saving a salary and associated costs. I think she is getting out at a sensible time though now would have been better than the end of October after the inspection.
  • Like 1

I guess this one is for Pete.  

Thanks, Gordon.

I can’t imagine driving one of those Fifties “boats” around in England! 

Don’t get me wrong - the more I delve into US cars of the fifties and sixties the more I’m impressed by their qualities. In comparison the new Camarro is quite petite...

Best, Pete.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

I was up  and lurking around ERs really early this morning, between about 0100-0400!

I kept very quiet as I didn't want to wake anyone of you up!

I am steeling myself to do more work around the house today.  The ironing beckons seductively, as does the prospect of rehanging a cupboard door.

I'd prefer to be outside doing some essential weeding around the place, especially as the sun is out at present.

Then there is the pile of insulation and flooring that needs to be fitted inside the new workshop.  This might be a job for the Pygmy Hippo (currently away camping at Perranporth) because I cannot understand the schematic he has drawn up for the cutting list for the insulation. (Well that's my excuse).

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 8

Morning all

Have a good holiday Tony and Aditi.

Whatever will the college do when Aditi retires?

Well, if my experience is anything to go by they will appoint at least two people with the word "Principal" in the job title.

Ed

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Back from the hospital with some good news.  Beth does not need hip replacements and some physio has been prescribed.  There is some talk of injections in the future but it is good news for now.   Now I'm progressing with transferring files to the new computer so may gain some brownie points.  The ironing is also piling up here perhaps I should take it to Richards.

Jamie

• Like 13

Hi Jock,

Sadly, the mug is not authentic. It was a gift from MrsID's auntie in Largs.

The good news is that you can forward this URL to relatives as a big hint :)

Cheers!

Andy

My favourite coffee mug is from the same range. It was the first birthday present that Helen bought me out of her own pocket money (she used to get extra when there was a family birthday in the offing) at the Wakefield show about twenty years back, and it's transported many a coffee to my grateful gullet since.

post-7286-0-14033900-1438772280.jpg

• Like 12

My favourite coffee mug is from the same range. It was the first birthday present that Helen bought me out of her own pocket money (she used to get extra when there was a family birthday in the offing) at the Wakefield show about twenty years back, and it's transported many a coffee to my grateful gullet since.

attachicon.gifLMS coffee mug.jpg

Perhaps we could start a 'Mugshots' sub thread?

post-1525-0-47738400-1438779289_thumb.jpg

But I only drink from the Yorkshire part :D

Edited by leopardml2341
  • Like 3

Windy.

That's all. No many redeeming features.

I am talking about the weather.

Heavy rain has been added to the list - sitting in the caravan reading and on here. May dry up to take the dogs out later.

In post edit for heavy rain - the wipers on the car have had to be on fast speed occasionally.

There's dinghy racing in Mount's Bay. At least there was when we passed by earlier - now you can't even see the Mount.

Have safe and enjoyable trips Tony & Aditi and Mr & Mrs Stationmaster... 

HUMP day and all is well, any day you get out of bed is a good day for sure :)

Scene last night at the start of our "Neighborhood Night Out";

post-20244-0-03632500-1438780729_thumb.jpg

The city police do a great job of trying to get to every block party, we were first on the list it seems (closest to the Police Station) so they go there as we were setting up. All the neighborhood kids loved it, got stickers, and a look around the vehicle, clambering all over it, lights going and everything. Pity though, they wouldn't let me take it for a spin <sigh>

Excellent drive in this morning, traffic was very light, I suspect there are a large number of people on vacation this and next week, as all too soon (3 weeks MAX) the kids will be back at school.

Lovely morning again 16 driving in, sunny, light breeze and 27 for the high, doesn't get much better.

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 15

Busy bee today. Assisting both in-laws and another elderly non-ambulant friend to make best use of the NHS, in the form of the newly opened mini-hospital. It's well laid out and signed, with good access, wide doorways and level surfaces. You might almost think that some thought had gone into the design*. Already met three friends on volunteer duty there, two as guides/helpers, one staffing the WRVS coffee shop so very sociable. More to do this afternoon.

*The very visible flaw. Clearly the designers were not briefed that the NHS' staff are the nation's leading smokers, and have made no provision at all for the disposal of their fag ends around the immediate perimeter of the no-smoking zones. Planted out beds with a carefully applied mulch of bark, already looking a bit sorry due to a litter of ciggy butts, some still emitting the noxious fume. Everyone from consultant to porter out there puffing away.

Busy bee today. Assisting both in-laws and another elderly non-ambulant friend to make best use of the NHS, in the form of the newly opened mini-hospital. It's well laid out and signed, with good access, wide doorways and level surfaces. You might almost think that some thought had gone into the design*. Already met three friends on volunteer duty there, two as guides/helpers, one staffing the WRVS coffee shop so very sociable. More to do this afternoon.

*The very visible flaw. Clearly the designers were not briefed that the NHS' staff are the nation's leading smokers, and have made no provision at all for the disposal of their fag ends around the immediate perimeter of the no-smoking zones. Planted out beds with a carefully applied mulch of bark, already looking a bit sorry due to a litter of ciggy butts, some still emitting the noxious fume. Everyone from consultant to porter out there puffing away.

Interesting - so apparently the NHS and their staff haven't yet decided/determine that smoking just might be hazardous to their or anyone elses health?? :jester:  :O

Whilst I know the "..old dog, new tricks..." adage, I thought the health care profession in general had come to that conclusion ages ago - thankfully there appear to be very few (at least in my local experience) health care professionals or associated worker bees here that smoke any more.

It's rather like the obese doctor (there was one in our family practice) who tells their patient they need to lose weight!!

• Like 10

Nah. Car transporters are big ugly square looking brutes that are not aero dynamic. He is probably trying to squeeze some extra cargo on his hatches.

I once saw a ship going down the Channel with 2 of those big Rhine/Nile cruisers onboard. Quite a sight.

A couple or so "Nile" cruisers where built in Hull a few years ago. I never did think they could have been sailed all the way to Egypt. 

Edited by Judge Dread

A couple or so "Nile" cruisers where built in Hull a few years ago. I never think they could have been sailed all the way to Egypt.

This was back in 92ish. We had just left Calais and it passed us going down channel.

edit, just googled Hull and there is a photo taken in 1990 of a build.

Edited by lightengine

Aft'noon all,

One for the Teignmouth residents on the thread.....

post-7795-0-51387900-1438787894.jpg

Signs of a mispent youth.....45104 TO on a westbound working in Sept 85.

A morning spent in the cancer centre waiting for Is to have her PIC line fitted ready for the 2nd chemo infusion next week.....boy, do you give thanks to not be a patient amongst those poor devils. I headed straight for a decent eatery in Sandbach...quiet area of the Old Hall....and a good lunch once I'd extracted Is from the centre....she is still eating as much as me and even demanded that we call for cream cakes on the way home...to go with a decent cuppa.

Enjoy what you do 

Dave

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

boy, do you give thanks to not be a patient amongst those poor devils.

But when you are then you value every morsel of care and attention they find to offer you.  I have nothing but praise for the team I was under and for the admin and clerical staff whose supported them and my after-care over five years.  On daily treatments for a time I saw and got to know others.  Some you knew were on palliative care without too much expectation of a good result.  Others are still here to share their stories.  All were given equal respect and care.

I could give thanks to not be "a patient amongst those poor devils" but I am more than happy to give thanks, instead, that there are those who care and have compassion and skills to offer those who must undergo treatment.  That treatment can be painful, disfiguring and long-lasting but I personally never for one moment felt like a "poor devil".   Rather I felt like a valued member of a community.   When I left my five-year check recently with confirmation that I did;t have to go back again all the staff expressed their delight and added "but do drop in and see us when you're passing".  Which I shall do in due course.

• Like 3