The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Thanks a lot for that Pete. :nono:  Up until now I was having a really good day!

Actually I still am.

Nicki and family arrived safely in Majorca and their apartment is great.

Bruce the car repairer has done a smashing job on the scuffs and scratches caused by the little old lady (and another done by persons unknown).

The postie has just delivered a cheque from the afore-mentioned lady.

Think I might buy another lottery ticket for tomorrow. :imsohappy:

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

The village pub is up for sale :(

And there's a $4m guaranteed top prize in tomorrow night's lottery here which would more than cover all the necessary costs :)

Seriously - it's a superb spot and can be packed in summer.  But can be very isolated and deadly quiet for months at a time in winter.   

http://www.cornishman.co.uk/like-pub-stone-s-thrown-stunning-West-Cornwall/story-27542165-detail/story.html

• Like 9

Good morning all,

Knock at the door last night and my oldest friend who I haven't seen for several months popped in for a visit and casually announced he's having a quadruple bypass op on Monday.

Been there, done that. I hope they don't give him Tramadol!

I wish him the very best of luck and hope he doesn't lose his "teddy" (a rolled towel, used to clutch to the chest to avoid damage when sneezing)

John.

Morning, tonight is National Night Out, a sort of "take back the streets" movement trying to get better/greater neighborhood and community awareness and participation in local safety. To that end, our own neighborhood is having a block (well several blocks) party, and we're in the midst of it.

Nothing much to report from yesterday except lovely weather and work.

Perfect again this morning with a temperature of 16 clear and breezy, again expecting only 26-27 as a high.

Carry on ERing (I think we need a movie!!!)

• Like 14

This fellah is in port this morning. It arrived with a deck cargo of boats and is busy trying to squeeze another one on. One of the boats is quite large. I guess this is the marine equivalent of a car carrier.

Nah. Car transporters are big ugly square looking brutes that are not aero dynamic. He is probably trying to squeeze some extra cargo on his hatches.

I once saw a ship going down the Channel with 2 of those big Rhine/Nile cruisers onboard. Quite a sight.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Our water is back on. yipee! Stewart called in as he was passing just to let me know. I'm off to have a shower and a shave and anything else I can think of.

Indeed it is, came on as I was coming back up the road, and the engineer said that he just needed to change over one valve and the "high end" of the area (in which Geoff and I live) should be back, but as the main was burst in a field down the road, he wasn't so sure about the "bottom end" - we have two villages here, Brookhouse (top) and Caton (bottom), which are separated by a beck, and the leak was actually between the two, and the water was all going into the beck - something that the water company failed to pick up on for about four hours!  The local paper shop sold out of bottled water by about 07.30 as of course everybody wanted to have a cuppa.  Not sure whether normal service is resumed throughout the area yet, but the digger was still hard at work when 30747 came in about 2.45.  I've also had a shower now, though as I am a pogonotrophist the lack of a shave of the less hiursute areas is not a problem.

Afternoon All,

I really was an ER this morning, for the same reason as Geoff, as I went to the loo this morning, flushed, then silence, so tried the tap in the kitchen, and just a vague gurgling noise came out.  Of course, today was a work day for 30747, and we were clean out of bottled water, as we normally buy this only for night time consumption and we get a six pack every couple of weeks, and this morning was the day on which a new six pack was due to be purchased to replenish stocks.  I could live without gas or electric if I had to for a while, or even the phone and broadband, but water is just so essential to life these days, and we do take if very much for granted.

Shopping duly obtained, and of course a surfeit of bottled water, as it was on the way back from the supermarket with a dozen bottles that I called on Geoff to let him know the engineer's verdict.  Still it keeps (well actually there is a best before date on the bottles - 5000 years to filter, then got to be consumed within six months!  I think it's probably because the plasticisers in the plastic bottle which are leeched out.

Jock, hang on on there, and you'll get the meds well sorted out. 

Dave - hope that you and Is were able to enjoy a meal together - and that she is starting to cope with the meds.

Dom - loved the photos of the tram museum/depot - do you get to drive the vintage vehicles, or is that restricted to certain drivers?

John (Judge) - Tramadol is a most odd drug, and I spent a day or two imitating a 60s hippy when on it after surgery - but once they cut the dose back, I was OK.

Everybody else, generic greetings/congratulations, for no other reason than I've gone on long enough today.

Regards to All

Stewart

Edited by 45156
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

My hunch re our ride has indeed proven correct! Photos tomorrow, I expect.

Stewart, the historic trams require separate qualification (which you'll have to acquire in your free time) and according to my information, two years of experience at least. I do consider taking it in time!

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

.....Ed, any gentleman in my position would have offered similar assistance. Is there anyone on-line who would have turned down this damsel in distress?

Her earlobes were tricky to reach after all.

Dave

Is that what they are called now?

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Congrats and coms where necessary, didn't do anything in the garden today after all. The postman is to blame as he brought the next 'World of Stobart' model, an Oxford low loader model and some interesting further models including this http://www.hydrema.com/home/products/dumptrucks/912d.aspx

• Like 8

Nah. Car transporters are big ugly square looking brutes that are not aero dynamic. He is probably trying to squeeze some extra cargo on his hatches.

I once saw a ship going down the Channel with 2 of those big Rhine/Nile cruisers onboard. Quite a sight.

I think you missed my point! I was not referring to marine car transporters (I know what they look like) I was making (somewhat in jest) a comparison between large motor vehicles carrying a lot of small vehicles and large ships carrying a lot of smaller boats. I would imagine the ship was carrying also cargo in its holds, otherwise it would be a little top heavy. The largest boat it was carrying looked too big for its onboard lifting equipment and must have been lifted on by a shore based crane (at an earlier port of call). Next stop Norway.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Evening,  as I have been absent for a couple of days  congratulation/commiserations as appropriate.

Today saw the departure of the furniture etc that required shipping to Cyprus to my mother in law, the shipping people arrived from Bristol at 0830 prompt. Thank goodness all went well and that task is now done.

Just a few odds and ends to sort out ie tip/auction/keep.

Bungalow is now on the market and we will wait and see, I am just glad that we are over that particular hump and things can start to get back to normal. I might get to run a few trains and even have a game of tennis!

Going to try and catch up on here!

Alan

• RMweb Premium

A little more together this evening, despite a busy day due to staff sickness.

Mrs H out at dog agility class with the dog we haven't got - she borrows one of Jayne's!

Project X now not due to be delivered/erected until 4th September - 4 months late. #sigh#  It's only coming 5 miles.

Watching a DVD of North-Eastern steam which is quite interesting, but the sound track is appalling - three cylinder loco sounds from 2 cylinder locos, speeds entirely inappropriate etc. Still, it's got Crimdon Dene viaduct on it....for Baz!

• Like 8

I think you missed my point! I was not referring to marine car transporters (I know what they look like) I was making (somewhat in jest) a comparison between large motor vehicles carrying a lot of small vehicles and large ships carrying a lot of smaller boats. I would imagine the ship was carrying also cargo in its holds, otherwise it would be a little top heavy. The largest boat it was carrying looked too big for its onboard lifting equipment and must have been lifted on by a shore based crane (at an earlier port of call). Next stop Norway.

This one overturned in Toulon in 73.  A load in the hold and timber on the hatches.

post-19606-0-00577000-1438715643.jpg

Edited by lightengine

Breezy enough in the far south west today to have plenty of people taking pix of waves at Sennen Cove. We joined them.

Then we went to Morvah Pasty Day and bought - a couple of pasties. Then it was up to walk the dogs to Men an Tol - and the usual crop of people wanting to believe the mysticism and not the history.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Evening all.

Best laid plans etc.... so having cut the lawn, fitted a new rotary dryer "spike" and hoovered up several tons of sawdust I did indeed do some crust earning by fitting 3 link couplings and new EM wheelsets to a wide variety of wagons and vans.

Jock - I have had the Duchess pictures somewhere on here before but will blog them when I finish them.

NHN  - Crimdon Dene viaduct - that takes me back to summer time working in Crimdon Dene for the council...some great times were had!

Enjoy your trip Mike!

Tomorrow sees me travel to Selby CC to  umpire Yorkshire U12s - just hope it stays dry.

Have a great Wednesday if I don't manage to call by!

Baz

PS

just for Jock

City of Carlisle - polished and fitted with a Zimo 646 sound decoder

post-7650-0-76693200-1438716860_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Typed a post three times on here in Android and it's defaulted to the mobile version each time trying and lost the post. Fed up.

I'm in the same boat Ian.  I've been trying to download and install a new version of AutoCAD this afternoon with no joy.  I've tried at least 4 times and it's failed every time.  Time for some whisky I think.

Jamie

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Now on iPad

Much better.

Trains out of London Bridge serverly delayed after a jumper at a Brockley about 5.30pm. We had , luckily gone for a few beers so caught the tail end but our train is now 56 minutes late.

Earlier there had been a fire on the 33rd floor in the Shard but didn't know that as I went into McDs as went the back way but did wonder why so many chefs were standing in the area.

Now on iPad

Much better.

Trains out of London Bridge serverly delayed after a jumper at a Brockley about 5.30pm. We had , luckily gone for a few beers so caught the tail end but our train is now 56 minutes late.

Earlier there had been a fire on the 33rd floor in the Shard but didn't know that as I went into McDs as went the back way but did wonder why so many chefs were standing in the area.

Wow!!! Never in my life did I ever expect to see the words McDonalds and chef in the same sentence.
  • Like 1