The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

I think that (and not signalling at all) is considered the norm over here! Whatever happened to signalling before braking.

Similar to yellow lines. One yellow line means no parking at all. Two yellow lines means no parking at all at all.

• Like 1

Similar to yellow lines. One yellow line means no parking at all. Two yellow lines means no parking at all at all.

Unless you switch on your hazard lights, then you can park anywhere. Oh, and use your mobile phone when parked. :D

• RMweb Premium

Unless you switch on your hazard lights, then you can park anywhere. Oh, and use your mobile phone when parked. :D

Hazard lights are simply an excuse for bad or inconsiderate abandoning of cars - I don't like using the word "park" in those circumstances.

It's the van drivers (and others) that actually park well and then switch on their hazard lights that irk me when you can only see the right hand indicator on approach as the left is obscured by another parked vehicle.

Anyway - enough of this bad/good driver stuff - we've done it to death elsewhere.

Let's have some good news.

Next door arrived home about an hour ago with their new arrival of three days. Must go round and celebrate with them once they've recovered.

I hope I don't be too ER by the cries of a new-born from next door!

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 13

Sorry to disillusion you but one yellow line means parking permitted, double yellow lines mean double parking permitted, double yellow lines and 'no parking' cones means this space reserved especially for you.

We used to have double yellow lines outside the local Garda station. People left their cars there all day and never got a ticket!

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Made a big Co... Up, err mistake lunchtime. I had been checking out flights for our winter trip to the USA by having Expedia and various airline Web silted up jumping back on forth train different airports to get the edit value with best plane seating arrangements and times. Eventually settled on Virgin. Double and triple checked the dates, booked it here realised the out bound flight was in only a few weeks time. Doh!!

A quick phone call to the airline and it was corrected but it cost me an extra few hundred quid. No dearer than the other airlines but not the bargain I thought I had found.

Oh well at least we should have window and aisle seats for both outward and return flights as they are both on the Airbus A330 and A340 which have more suitable seating configuration for couples. Amtrak auto train booked by our fellow traveler in Canada for the first part of our trip.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 1

Evening all,

Earlier tonight as after our busy day, I can feel an early night coming on!

Dom, more superb images, thank you!

Jamie, great news about Beth, at least the risk of what is a major operation has been postponed for now. Let's hope the 'physio' helps to control the pain now!

Pete(petethemole), many years ago I became a member of the Loughton saling club (landlocked but with two big reservoirs to practice on!) I thought it was an honour to be asked by a member (nicknamed 'Admiral Tyrell' because of his blazer!) to crew on his 'Fireball' and it was well into the season of offshore races before I discovered that he had held the 'Most Capsizes Cup' for the previous two years! I can therefore concur with your comment on getting wet.

34C/Ian Abel, our nursing sister daughter is a smoker and we have watched her try to give up on countless occasions I notice on my frequent visits to Colchester General that the smoking areas are always well used by 'all ranks'!

Dave(TG), Good news on the appetite front again! I fully agree with your sentiments about visiting the cancer unit - I have to go monthly to be tested before I'm allowed to continue on the 'wonder drug' that I've been taking for over two and a half years. It is when I see really young people in there that I get upset. I also feel truly lucky that I don't need to be plumbed in, taking two pills each night instead. Although my care is only palliative (nobody can say how long I've got!), at least I have had a chance to enjoy a varied and exciting life to date. Rick's post says everything about my unit as well - I'm treated with care and dignity at all times and I can only describe the ladies who have looked after me all this time as 'Angels'. Obviously, I would like to have avoided visiting there if I could but you simply have to ride the punches that life throws at you!

We're almost over the hump now, and I hope our commuters haven't been too badly affected by the 'Tube' strike. Let's hope the rest of the week is kinder to you.

Kind regards,

Jock.

G'night all for now!

Edited by Jock67B
  • Like 4

Lights and the lack of them.

Can the description "Side" lights be dropped in favour of "Parking" lights? Then after dark, bad weather etc etc, you can only drive on "Head" lights. That's always presuming you have two of them and are not driving on main beam because one of the dip beam's has blown!

Doesn't anyone during the above conditions look in their rear view mirror and realise if they cannot easily see the vehicle coming up behind them because it's on "side  parking" lights, then no one will be able to see you as you approach the vehicle in front!!

• RMweb Premium

My car has front daytime running lights. 2013 Fiesta Zetec They are brighter than side/parking lights. The dashboard is also permanently illuminated, whereas previous cars only had dashboard lighting when the lights were turned on.

Both the DRL and dashboard lights have been known to make me think that the lights are actually on when I set off from home in dim conditions. I almost tried that about 40 minutes ago when nipping out to the local shop.

Finally sorted out ordering my new car today - another Fiesta, due to be built in the 2nd week of September and on the road for 1st October.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 9

Well knackered here today.  No 1 son gets married on Saturday (in Boston Lincolnshire), so today has been spent sorting out all the last minute issues (and Mrs G found plenty of them, so stress levels were high!).  Tomorrow, we travel to No 2 son in Leeds - but I think I am being permitted to have a stop & run on the Embsay to Bolton Abbey line, as we haven't been on that before.  Then on down to Lincolnshire on Friday for more last minute stuff no doubt.  Big family gathering is planned on the Friday evening before the big day.  New 16GB memory card arrived in the post today, so lots of photos & video can now be taken (I only had a 4GB card before).

Evening Simon,

Have a safe journey to the wedding - I hope the stress levels don't blow a fuse before the festivities are completed!

Kind regards,

Jock.

• RMweb Premium

Busy time umpiring today. The game as only 90 overs but seemed to go on forever.

Kitchen almost complete. Can now start tidying up.

Have a nice, restful sleep everyone.

Baz

Nos da Polly!

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 8

Evening all

I think that smoking's a hard habit to crack - took me 3 or 4 goes thirty years ago or so. Mind you, not so hard as sticking to a very healthy diet. Lothian NHS has a no smoking policy within its grounds which probably explains why to enter or leave the Edinburgh Royal Infirmary (or Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh) you have to walk through clouds of smoke, often from people dragging drips around.

Youngest son's girlfriend has arrived for a fortnight whilst she changes student flats. Happy days for him then.

Mal

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

A case of one word having taken on another meaning over time whilst retaining its earlier one.  In Australia there's a very popular brand of cheese going by the same C--- name.  The suggestion was made that the name be changed but after public protestations it was perpetuated.

Tis sad when family members pass and no less so if they happen to be four-legged and furry.  We are definitely cat people and still miss the long-departed little black-with-white-socks girl who adopted Mrs. G. at the RSPCA pound and lived with us for seven years until succumbing to a naso-pharyngeal carcinoma.

• RMweb Premium

I thought two yellow lines meant "Park with your wheels between them parallel to the kerb" ;)

• Like 1

Smoking. . .I stopped with the assistance of a bout of pneumonia and a collapsed lung.

granddaughter decided that she would rather spend the day with grandad than shopping with mam. . . 

We played with trains.

Goodnight everyone . . . .Sweet dreams.

John

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Looks like a cloudy start today with the possibility of some more rain but hopefully some sunny spells this afternoon.

Another exciting day in prospect here. Last coat of emulsion (I hope) to go on and then carpet can be fitted and I can start thinking about building layout boards. 

Also the usual Thursday visit to Sainsbury's to get important supplies. (Beer is running out - someone keeps drinking it)

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 12

Morning all. I'm looking forward to driving to Brighton today and tomorrow for a course. I couldn't have planned it better with the tube strike.

I'm still trying to give up smoking but I keep failing miserably. One of these days I'll crack it.

Have a good day everyone.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all. Scorchio is the word. Who'd have thunk!

Which of course makes me all the more glad that we'll be on a fully air conditioned NGT12 car today! Though yesterday, we had just about perfect weather for driving as it was dry and sunny but not too warm.

dsc00298jqk19.jpg

We were out on NGT8 car 1133 "Christian Thomasius" and proceeded to explore some locations on the network we hadn't been through before, such as the loop at Sellerhausen om Wurzner Straße in the east of Leipzig. Originally built only as a triangle, it was later expanded into a full loop through Cunnersdorfer Straße and Emmausstraße. With single-cab trams in particular, it is always sensible to have as many operational reversing locations available as possible.

dsc00304auj31.jpg

While not a new location, 1133 waiting in the outer loop at Knautkleeberg did merit a snapshot, I think. There was a cat from the neighbourhood down there prowling around our tram.

dsc003133rkt1.jpg

And the park loop at Naunhofer Straße was as idyllic as usual, and perfect for taking a break and having a bite.

Gordon, several German tram systems do offer guest driving days where you can have a go with an experienced trainer at your side. However, I was told LVB will discontinue this practice as it was next year due to bookkeeping reasons. 

Have a good one, folks…

• Like 16