RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Good grief! What is it 25 miles?

Best, Pete.

That was really quick Pete - took me 40 minutes to do a mile in Reading this morning and no apparent cause other than the volume of traffic, going in the opposite direction about 10 minutes later took me 6 minutes and that included having to wait in queues for two sets of traffic lights to change in my favour.  I expect it's all down to the end of the school holidays, the weather, Jeremy Corbyn, the closure of the Hungarian borders, and p*ss poor 'traffic management' schemes.

G'night all.

• Like 2

My new Dell 'puter has a strange problem. It always starts properly when powered on, but when I restart it, it hangs. I believe it's failing POST (Power On Self Test) but if something has failed, why would it be OK after a power cycle? Maybe something is only getting initialized properly after a power-up.

As it's not a big problem, I'm tempted to live with it, but what if it's a forewarning that something much worse is going to happen (after the warranty runs out, of course)?

Aaaarrrrgggg!

Evening all,

Just had a quick scan since my last post, and as usual I'm indebted to you all for the kind and supportive comments about my grandson Matthew. This thread most certainly contains a very special mixture of very kind people. The surgery to replace his aortic valve is scheduled for 12.30pm tomorrow and his partner, mum and dad are going to Basildon early and staying over in a nearby hotel tomorrow night. Meanwhile, Joanna and I will share some of the 'great grandchildren' duties - all the family are doing their bit.

Thank you Flávio for your informed advice. Luckily my education in science and engineering allows me to look on Internet advice very carefully indeed - all I know for sure is that Matthew's condition is likely to kill him if the valve with the abcess is not replaced, and he has elected to have a steel one which will hopefully last over twenty years. He seemed to be keeping his spirits up when we spoke on the telephone tonight although he did confess to being rather scared, to which I replied that 'if anyone says they aren't frightened, they are either very very stupid or lying! I will report late tomorrow if possible, but my posts may be a bit thin for the next few days!

Simon, I hope the hospital in Carlisle looks after you well, and wish you a speedy return to your guard duties on the 'Ratty'.

MickB, Happy belated Birthday wishes and many more of them.

To everyone in general, I hope the week brings you health and happiness,

Kind regards,

Jock.

G'night all!

• RMweb Premium

Morning All.

Tuesday here.  After a "late change" last night the temperature dropped from 25C to 13C in an hour or so and has remained there into this morning.  It's wet again.  The cat doesn't want to go outside and is insisting I bring his tray inside instead.  Not going to happen.

I remember the A13 though not fondly.  It cuts a swathe through east London and divides communities in places, defines their boundaries in others.  It's one of very few east-west routes and it takes a determined local to know how to avoid it effectively given that many local roads are now one-way, have turn bans or have fixed barriers to prevent through traffic using them unless equipped with blues, twos and a key to the gate.  The bus home used to be delayed for ages waiting to make its bus-only crossing at Victoria Dock Road.  Most crossing points now have under- or overpasses.  One major incident brings wide areas of east London to a grinding halt for hours.

As described by one Billy Bragg who entertained us more than once at the Spotted Dog in Barking in his younger days:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdVjtXkQuxQ

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Damp start and more to come although there may be the odd sunny spell between the showers.

Jock - our thoughts will be with you and Matthew later today.

Not sure what I'm doing today but hopefully some of it will involve the new railway room. I am being encouraged in this venture by The Boss. This is not because of her love for railways or even her love for me but more because she wants the other bedroom containing the existing layout back.

The two younger grandchildren will be visiting after school. Gemma has been there just over a week now and so far seems to be enjoying it. Long may it last.

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Duncan

That was me yesterday morning.

I slept much better this time. So much so that I was up at 5pm and have now made up three ground levers and fitted two to the layout.

Ah... the dreaded A13. Only used it a few times some years ago but remember it well and not for good reasons.

Whilst some of our commutes by train can really get you down when its messed up over a period of time, I dont enjoy driving in and around London.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning.

Dry outside, seems cooler than a few days ago.

I have been out as Robbie has been unwell in the night. He must have eaten a sock (ladies kneehigh sock ) a couple of days ago and although it passed yesterday he is still a bit prone to being sick. Aditi went down at 5am and told me to take over! Robbie has done this before and needs a light diet for a few days.

Tony

Edited by Tony_S

Good morning one and all, and especially to music/culture lovers

Olddduddders, give or take a D: I have a signed vinyl copy of the first Silly Sisters LP.  It came to be autographed when June appeared at our late lamented folk club at the Angel in Elstow Road, Bedford. circa 1978.  Maddy turned up and sat in the audience.  I dashed home to get the LP and made it there and back within one floor spot.   It could not be done now.

Some positive developments occurred yesterday.  If being able to watch TV all day is such a thing, I now have my digi box again.  The shop reformatted the hard drive but warned that there might be a bad sector.  I have also secured my sensibly priced rail tickets to and from Manchester.  They are not as sensibly priced as last year but £19.80 is a lot better than £42 or driving.  Not so good was my experience of the Virginontheridiculous Trains website.  Rigmarole is the only printable word for it: having to enter my password no less than six times does seem rather unnecessary.  It also took me upwards of an hour to reconnect my DVD player.   The usual plan when I get stuck is to have a cup of tea, do something else and go back to it.  After all that the DVD that I wanted to watch was not particularly good.

What does today promise? Topping up the groceries and assorted pottering, probably.  Oh, I forgot: ironing.  I hate ironing.  There are times when I think that the best use for an ironing board is as a baseboard.

If I knew the words, this would be where I sing "May Each Day" as popularised by the late great Andy Williams.   Pray accept the thought for the deed.

Chris

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

It's hoyin' it down here. Hopefully drying up later in the day and the further west we go.

Will pause and give a thought to Jock and his family at the appropriate time.

Have a safe day, whatever it is you are doing.

• Like 3

Morning All,

It is a nice bright morning here, after a rather stormy night.

Ahhh - The A13.  Not a road that I miss driving particularly.  I suspect that things have changed a little since I lived in that part of the world.  I believe that there is now an underpass at the Saddlers Farm Magic Roundabout, and the A130 has been improved at Rettendon Turnpike.

However, does that riduculous "half a roundabout" still exist on the A127 at the Fortune o'War?

Oh well - it's time for tea now, so have a good day everyone!

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Morning All,

It is a nice bright morning here, after a rather stormy night.

Ahhh - The A13.  Not a road that I miss driving particularly.  I suspect that things have changed a little since I lived in that part of the world.  I believe that there is now an underpass at the Saddlers Farm Magic Roundabout, and the A130 has been improved at Rettendon Turnpike.

However, does that riduculous "half a roundabout" still exist on the A127 at the Fortune o'War?

Oh well - it's time for tea now, so have a good day everyone!

The half roundabout chicane still exists on the A127, however the Halfway House pub doesn't!

The junction at Sadlers Farm is no longer "magic". There is an underpass linking the A13 and A130. The roundabout has a lane running across one corner so that Canvey bound traffic coming from Basildon doesn't have to go round the roundabout.

Mornin' all,

No constitutional today due to a boys day out....picking up a couple of friends en route and will be having fish & chips and a pint by the sea.

Feathered ones provided for.

Enjoy what you do

Dave

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Morning all!

This morning its raining here in north west Leeds and I have to go to the eye doctors this morning. This is the guy who sticks a needle up against your eyes to measure pressures....

The rest of today involves wrapping Ebay parcels, posting them and then getting a final coat of emulsion on the walls/ ceiling of the kitchen.

Potential for modelling time for me? ER not a lot.

Hope all goes well for everyone today.

Baz

Morning all

Good to be back! Discharged from hospital yesterday - actually I was almost discharged on Friday but fell at the last hurdle when they found an infection in the wound - disappointing, yes, but after a second's thought you realise that it's better to be treated for that inside rather than out. Still a little sore, obviously, but no real pain. Body back to working properly and taking gentle exercise. The worst parts were the sickness for the first few days and the waking nightmares from the strong painkillers (morphine and oxycodon) so glad when they were stopped.

District nurses too busy to dress the wound at home so will have to visit nurse at doc's daily for the next couple of weeks - no big deal, but possibly a sign of NHS cuts where most of us don't notice them.

Many thanks to all of you for your good wishes, and especially to Rick for being the conduit for Gabe to get messages through.

Have a good day

Mal

Morning all from the sun drenched paradise miserable grey rain-fest that is the boring borough.

Good to see Mal back and out of the hospital. (we need a smilie that does a happy dance)

A belated Happy Appearance day to Mick. Hope you enjoy your beers.

Also good to see the squidling growing and being a happy little cephalopod.

Jock, thinking of you and Matthew today. May the surgery be the most boring and routine the doc has ever performed. In other words no complications or other issues.

Swansea is finished. (see I do need a happy dancing smilie thing) A few quiet days then on to the next project. Today I shall be working from home as I managed to set my knee back again yesterday. Twas doing the mandated physio exercises when I heard 2 rather loud pops in quick succession from either side of the knee cap. Ouch. Now there is a whole lot of clicking going on when ever I bend or straighten it. Not too bad but not going to risk further injury until Friday's physio session.

Apologies to anyone I've missed. Its been a long few hours of catching up this morning.

Take care everyone and have a good day.

• RMweb Gold

Morning, the rain overnight has stopped and the sun is trying to make an appearance.

Tennis this morning a game of doubles indoors then a catch up over lunch then a bit of time in the shed is planned.

Enjoy your day folks

Alan

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from an overcast and damp village.    Just had a series of frustrating phone calls with the bank.   The purchase of the shed with house attached in France has finally started to move.  I had the British end mortgage approval yesterday so proceeded to buy the necessary euros to send the 10% deposit to the Notaire in France.   Some weeks ago I had checked with my bank what the transfer limit was on my internet banking.  In this case the amount was about 50% of the limit.   I made the transfer so that the Notaire will get it today. 

The set off to the model railway club and did my talk on using computer design in various ways to aid railway modelling.  That went very well but when I got home there was an answerphone message to call the fraud department of the bank.  Of course that had shut at 9pm and my internet banking had been locked out.   Thus meant the finds would not be in London this morning for the transfers to go ahead.  

Anyway I've now contacted the fraud office at 8am and the payment is now on the way.  I just hope that it goes as quickly as they promise and that everything goes well.  Shed's for railway rooms need to be bought.   the fact that there's a house attached is just the icing on the cake.

Sorry about the rant, I know it's only money and not health related but it got to me after I'd done all the necessary checks and notifications.

Back to the real world.  Good to hear from Mal and hope that your recovery continues.

Jock my thoughts and prayers will be with you, your family and especially grandson.

After all that it's off to a committee meeting and then hopefully some modelling and I might even clear another large pile of papers in the modelling room and find a bit more of the floor.

Jamie