The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

A bit worried about work as today actually went according to plan. Just a pity about the cockwombles behind the wheels of their various forms of transport.

Rick - Although there is no real diagnosis, it's good news that you are now again fit enough to resume gardening and return to work.

Now catching up with posts around the forum while listening to Tangerine Dream before the rugby starts

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Jock

Mk 3's aren't bad really. Just wish that this one had been cleaner and better mantianed. Whilst my bed was fine, my other halfs one rocked. I did offer to swap with her but she didnt want to.

I htink the best one we ever did  was on DB from Hamburg to Brussels. it was ensuite and the beer in the bar was superb (nice weiss beer). There was a heavy thunderstorm that night but we slept through most of it.

The worst was from Torino to Rome which was very hot and sweaty even with the window open.

The best was a mistake as we had asked for a Paddington to Penzance berth but only got one to Plymouth. I sooon worked out we werent goning any further when the gronk shunted us around the station which in the end was a big bonus.

We still enjoy Amtrak sleepers and looking forward to our Xmas Avoider trip with something quite special as you can only do it if travelling with a car. More on that nearer the time.

• Like 13

Simon, really good to read that all went well on the 'Ratty' today - will you be expected to help with the off-season engineering works?

Hope you all get the sports results you crave over the weekend - I'm happy to have three different lots of motorcycle racing to record/watch!

Best wishes once more to those still recuperating,

Kind regards,

Jock.

G'night Pete! G'night all!

Incidentally winter engineering work on the Ratty is usually carried out by some of the permanent staff as they don't have their usual driving etc jobs in the closed season (and just as well they should have received my new safety procedures for engineering work today - trouble is they might now have time to want them altered)

Anyway good night all and sweet dreams.

Jock,  the usual way for volunteers to help with engineering work is on "Track Weeks" where sections of track are relaid, sleepers and all.  This is by all accounts hard work, and I may get involved, but with a long history of back trouble, I haven't yet decided!  The new sleepers are already on the lineside for the work starting in November.

SM, I didn't realise that you were involved in the safety procedures.  As a former H&S professional for many years, I did offer my services some time ago, but they obviously already had you! 

• Like 10

Back in the 1980s I used to experience the sleeper that came from (I think) Glasgow to Euston, but I would join it at Carlisle.  In those days, a couple of sleeping cars would be in one of the terminal platforms at Carlisle, so that you could board the train from about 10pm onwards.  When the Glasgow train arrived, the Carlisle coaches would be shunted by an 08 shunter onto the back of the train.  I am sure that the 08 driver would take delight in making this short ride as rough and jerky as he possibly could.  Once I was almost thrown out of the bed by the violence of the connection onto the Glasgow train.  Fortunately I was able to always do this trip 1st class, so no shared cabin.  My usual ultimate destination was Winfrith in Dorset, so having had my tea and biscuits on the sleeper, I would have my belongings in a rucksack, and then walk from Euston to Waterloo to wake up, then catch the train down to Wareham.

More recently (I think about 5/6 years ago, I again caught the sleeper, but now there was no shunting, just waiting at Carlisle for the sleeper to arrive at about 2am.  I do recall the journey was much smoother than in the 1980s.

Edited by Simon G
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Back in the 1980s I used to experience the sleeper that came from (I think) Glasgow to Euston, but I would join it at Carlisle.  In those days, a couple of sleeping cars would be in one of the terminal platforms at Carlisle, so that you could board the train from about 10pm onwards.  When the Glasgow train arrived, the Carlisle coaches would be shunted by an 08 shunter onto the back of the train.  I am sure that the 08 driver would take delight in making this short ride as rough and jerky as he possibly could.  Once I was almost thrown out of the bed by the violence of the connection onto the Glasgow train.  Fortunately I was able to always do this trip 1st class, so no shared cabin.  My usual ultimate destination was Winfrith in Dorset, so having had my tea and biscuits on the sleeper, I would have my belongings in a rucksack, and then walk from Euston to Waterloo to wake up, then catch the train down to Wareham.

More recently (I think about 5/6 years ago, I again caught the sleeper, but now there was no shunting, just waiting at Carlisle for the sleeper to arrive at about 2am.  I do recall the journey was much smoother than in the 1980s.

My one and only sleeper trip was Preston to London in the mid-80's. The sleeper was berthed in the south end bay on platform 3a and an electric loco attached before departure. The sleeper was attached at the front of the overnight Barrow in Furness to London, using the electric loco to shunt it on, as the usual 47 that brought the train from Barrow was removed.

Off to the pictures and food afterwards tonight to watch Sicario with Mrs NB to celebrate a surprise windfall, as yesterday we discovered that we were overpaying our gas/electric. Partly our fault for not spotting it sooner, but we're now awaiting a four figure refund! (I can sees some decorating tasks being brought forward.......)

Have a good evening folks.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 17

Ha! You ought to have tried “The Night Ferry” train to Paris. Going I was woken with the train rolling in a moderate swell - which was disorientating for a full minute.

Coming back we were delayed and I awoke just as the ferry was docking, let up the blind on the window to see a  naked female bum about six feet away in an adjoining carriage.

Just before we arrived at Victoria I was looking out the window to see an entire train full of photographers parked on a curve (no idea where, I’m not overly familiar with the Southern Region) taking photos of the wonderful Wagon - Lits carriages.

Great way to travel, much missed.

Best, Pete.

• Like 13

Morning all, not warm but dry this morning having risen at 10 am. Pete I am sure Warren Buffett would not put his money in a badly run railway.

I’ve  studied their PW in Arizona (‘cos I could get close to it) and I can say that the (southern) BNSF Transcon  (in their speak) is easily as good as the best trackage in Europe (incl. UK).

The ballast down there is almost the same pinkish color as some Scottish lines.

Best, Pete.

I forgot to add that the BNSF is really called the BNSF Railway - and definitely not “Railroad” - I like that.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Ha! You ought to have tried “The Night Ferry” train to Paris. Going I was woken with the train rolling in a moderate swell - which was disorientating for a full minute.

Coming back we were delayed and I awoke just as the ferry was docking, let up the blind on the window to see a  naked female bum about six feet away in an adjoining carriage.

Just before we arrived at Victoria I was looking out the window to see an entire train full of photographers parked on a curve (no idea where, I’m not overly familiar with the Southern Region) taking photos of the wonderful Wagon - Lits carriages.

Great way to travel, much missed.

Best, Pete.

Looks like some folk had all the luck on 'The Night Ferry' - my main memory of it, apart from the convenience, was some extremely French (i.e. rough) shunting at Dunkerque!  Mind you having watched the train ferry shunting at Dunkerque nearly 20 years later (in the early '90s) I got the impression that things hadn't change much - very different from the slow & steady approach on the English side.  And these things were something of a contrast with the 350hp shunters used at Dover

post-6859-0-51518400-1445104947.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

I’ve  studied their PW in Arizona (‘cos I could get close to it) and I can say that the (southern) BNSF Transcon  (in their speak) is easily as good as the best trackage in Europe (incl. UK).

The ballast down there is almost the same pinkish color as some Scottish lines.

Best, Pete.

I forgot to add that the BNSF is really called the BNSF Railway - and definitely not “Railroad” - I like that.

The UP PWay that I followed in 2012 was almost all immaculate with much evidence of section gangs who took a real pride in their section.   I think we passed a UP maintenance vehicle of some sort or another every 10 miles on rote from Oakland to Chicago.   Nearly as many as the dead racoons that we saw by the roadside.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 1

Has anyone seen a report on why the Boeing fuselages fell into the Clark Fork? I'm interested to know what caused it.

It's a really wicked bit of track. I went down there in a raft a while back. Glad they didn't land on me :)

Edited by AndyID

Evening all. I hope the first day of your weekend has gone well. It has felt chilly here in Derby. No lie in as we had an early start for Amber's ballet class. We arrived to find they have decided to promote her to a higher class. It was a surprise, but great to see that, in the new class, she really did learn lots in just half an hour. I am by no means a ballet eficianado but, as a teacher, I do have my opinions when seeing anyone teaching something. In the previous class the children seemed to complete the same moves each week with no actual teaching as to how to do them correctly. Today the girls were actually shown what to do and any mistakes picked up in an encouraging way. Much better and much greater value for money.

Later we headed off to Wirksworth for the model railway exhibition there. It was an enjoyable event with one or two decent layouts. One or two others were let down by poor running or a lack of movement. That said, it was great to see so many familiar faces. I think Sarah got a bit frustrated by the number of people who stopped me for a chat. Many took time to congratulate me on the work promotion which was kind. It was just nice to be able to catch up with so many nice people. Much needed after the last few days - amazing the tonic a few friendly faces can provide. During the show I spied a Hornby D16 at a reasonable price and was very tempted. But, having finally sorted out my 02 orders, I decided there was enough money tied up in model railways for the time being.

Whilst in Wirksworth we had a very nice lunch in one of the local coffee shops. A nice relaxing stop off. Tonight we are hoping to sit down for an M and S curry once Amber has drifted off to sleep.

Enjoy your evening.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

... No lie in as we had an early start for Amber's ballet class. We arrived to find they have decided to promote her to a higher class. It was a surprise, but great to see that, in the new class, she really did learn lots in just half an hour. I am by no means a ballet eficianado but, as a teacher, I do have my opinions when seeing anyone teaching something. In the previous class the children seemed to complete the same moves each week with no actual teaching as to how to do them correctly. Today the girls were actually shown what to do and any mistakes picked up in an encouraging way. Much better and much greater value for money.

I know exactly what you mean. Matthew was only able to take part in sporty activities where the person teaching was prepared to physically manoeuvre him. So rugby and karate were OK but even though I was there when he tried archery the instructors seemed reluctant to touch the children. Matthew did not enjoy any dance activities. His junior school was quite keen on dance. We once had a letter home during multicultural dance week stating that "Matthew did not take the limbo seriously".
  • Like 1

Half-time in the New Zealand-France match which, sadly, looks like a walkover for the All Blacks.

Really enjoyed the South Africa-Wales game this afternnon which could have been won by either team. Exciting stuff, made better when World Cup winning captain Francois Pienaar congratulated Gareth Thomas for the sheer quality of the Welsh play in the post-match comments.

Have to switch to BBC4 now for some new Nordic Noir.

Hope your weekends are going well.

Mal

• Like 7

Back from a family birthday lunch.  Jackie's cousin had reached the grand old age of 70 and her son made 40 within a couple of days of each other.  It was good to see Jane so happy as she lost her husband in tragic circumstances some years ago.  

Her son James is learning to fly a helicopter and after 25 hours or so flying is now practicing what to do if the engine fails.  Once flying around, his instructor will just cut the engine power without warning and James has to deal with it.

Made hitting the dash with a rolled up newspaper kids stuff....

Surprisingly he is enjoying the drama and tells me a helicopter is far safer than you think. 

• Like 13

I've thoroughly enjoyed 2 fantastic games of rugby today.

RSA v Wales could have gone either way and was good to see entertaining rugby and a level of commitment from both sides that I haven't seen in any other match.

Kiwi's v France a total walkover by the All Blacks with 9 tries. Another rugby world cup record set.

I certainly wouldn't like to put money on either side for their game next weekend.

I'm hoping that either Scotland or Ireland can get through to the semi's.

• Like 2

Evening all,

Pain again slightly better but a strange sensation on the surface of my left buttock, almost a burning, suggests there are still nerves re-connecting. Means I have to apply the special cream they gave me some time before I attempt to sit down. Could be worse I suppose!

Pete(trisonic), I just had to check out the BNSF railway web site after your post - fascinating to discover that Wicki say they have have an enviable reputation for safety, and they have won all sorts of awards for it!

Ian(OD), your post about the checks on the line made me think back to when I regularly rode the footplate in the fifties. I can remember the men going along the passenger trains in the stations, 'ringing' the wheels with a special hammer to check for the tell-tale change in sound caused by a crack. From memory, there were cottages at regular intervals alongside the old G&SWR lines, each housing a workman responsible for a particular stretch of track. They tried to outdo one another with the result that the line always appeared beautifully manicured. Do you think safety has been compromised by cost cutting measures, and franchising off all the separate elements which were once managed centrally? I'd be interested to hear your views, and those of Stationmaster Mike, on a situation that became a 'soap-box' subject for my father in later life!

Stewart, sorry to hear that you've been getting a bit down of late. The inactivity has the same effect on me, especially when I look out over the wilderness that my back garden and patio have become - makes me feel totally useless! It is in your interest to follow the doctors advice however, and hopefully you'll soon look back on this period and agree that it was all worthwhile. Chin up mate!

Rick, pleased to read that your knee has mended enough to consider going back to work. I hope you won't overdo it too soon! Sadly I haven't had a response to my e-mail from that little island off the shore of Oz.

Ian(roundhouse), I just knew that it wouldn't take you long to spring back from the disappointment of your journey, and find some suitable 'watering holes'. Disgusting that the catering was so poor on such a lengthy journey - as I recall, when we did our car/sleeper trip to Inverness, the full Scottish breakfast in the Railway Hotel was built in to the ticket price. You've really intrigued me with your mention of a 'xmas avoider' by the way!

Simon, thanks for the information on life as a Ratty volunteer - sounds similar to the duties Neil(NHN) has at Groudle Glen on the Island. Surely there must be a way in which they can use your experience and intelligence without risking physical damage to your back?

Andy(ram), It was cheering to read that today went much better for you, more of the same tomorrow should hopefully set you up for whatever Monday throws at you.

Mal, I'm really disappointed, as no doubt you are, that you still haven't got a start date for your treatment - perhaps some telephone action is called for, if for no other reason because you need to plan your life around it!

I hope Sunday goes well for everyone, I appear to have flu like symptoms which have meant I dare not risk visiting grandson Matthew at the moment. I'm off to take a dram of medicinal whisky,

Kind regards,

Jock.

G'night Pete! G'night all!

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Just catching up on everyone's posts. Pete, I hope the naked lady's bum and the photographers you saw were not connected. :jester: I have never had the pleasure of travelling overnight on a sleeper but have experienced overnight accommodation on various cross channel ferries. The worse was in a sort of dormitory in the bows of the ship during a heavy storm, every time the ship hit a wave it was like being inside a base drum. The best was on the one time Sheerness-Vlissingen ferry which was a very large vessel that doubled as a cruise ship, the cabins although spartan were clean and comfortable and I got a good nights sleep. Goodnight all.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 1