The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

R-a-R

The Rookhope incline is a reet booger on a pushbike.

Passed the old derelict buildings near the top once when there was a mist down. Something quite eerie and haunting about them. Full of old memories and with a hundred tales to tell, mostly sad ones I would guess.

Have you had a cuppa in the old Parkhead station cafe?

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. I signed up for the Atlas Editions 'World of Stobart' to obtain some of the railway engineering models on offer. I've received some models but nothing since November but others have received their models on time. What is most gaulling however is those same models I am waiting for are appearing on e-bay at double the price or more. If it wasn't for the fact that I want those models I would have cancelled my subscription. I think it was here on ER's that someone gave the website that lists the e-mail addresses of company CEO's, can anyone direct me to that website please? Hopefully the CEO of Atlas Editions is on that list. Well thats my rant for tonight, goodnight all.

• RMweb Premium

Don, please accept my condolences to you and yours first of all.

Mine also.  

In respect of how to advise ones' own passing here my post is worded and in the brown envelope I referred to before along with full instructions, user name and password.  Plus instructions on how to PM Andy Y or any future admin of the site.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Trip to High Wycombe accomplished and legal business dealt with, about taking over from someone else as trustee of some money left to Martyn. I basically had to prove I'm me.

Trains all behaved and I saw several class 68s. They look better in the flesh metal than they do in photos. Some beer was taken, in 'spoons at HW and the Hole in The Wall. Walked off the train at Airport Parkway and straight onto a bus home.

Nice to see Debs has popped in.

I may hit the sack soon. It doesn't deserve it really; it's not a bad sack. 'night all

Pete

• Like 5

Evening all from Estuary-Land. I signed up for the Atlas Editions 'World of Stobart' to obtain some of the railway engineering models on offer. I've received some models but nothing since November but others have received their models on time. What is most gaulling however is those same models I am waiting for are appearing on e-bay at double the price or more. If it wasn't for the fact that I want those models I would have cancelled my subscription. I think it was here on ER's that someone gave the website that lists the e-mail addresses of company CEO's, can anyone direct me to that website please? Hopefully the CEO of Atlas Editions is on that list. Well thats my rant for tonight, goodnight all.

Phil,

''Twas me! Just type personal e-mail addresses of CEOs in UK into Google, and it should come up with a simple to follow set of boxes! (Make sure it isn't a subsidiary company).

Good luck,

Jock.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Mine also.  

In respect of how to advise ones' own passing here my post is worded and in the brown envelope I referred to before along with full instructions, user name and password.  Plus instructions on how to PM Andy Y or any future admin of the site.

Thats exactly what I intend to do, plus a final message for my friends here on ER's.

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

45156. You're right about Boddingtons, it's never been the same since they closed the brewery in Manchester, God knows where it's made, or what they put in it, but it absolute sh1te now!

That's why I have the flake with mine, so it looks like it as well!

On a more serious note, I'm getting much more picky with what I drink, so in the warmer months it's cider,  

In the winter I tend to drink beer with a preference for the likes of Shropshire Gold or Doombar.

• Like 13

Ah! Well . . .Beers . . . . . .Broon brewed in "Bloody Yorkshire" . . . . Double Maxim brewed in "Flippin' Lancashire" (Howay!. . . .Not even the right side of the Pennines. . .

but Hobgoblin has become an acceptable substitute . . .With the occational bottle or two of Leffe Blonde for a change.

Goodnight everyone . . .Sleep well.

John

Ps . . Good to see Debs drop in.

Edited by Two_sugars
  • Like 11

Absolutely no disagreement from here!

None from me either.

When I was seven or so I would spend hours watching shunting at Saucel goods on the Canal line in Paisley. Usually it was a Caley Jumbo, but one day this amazing green beauty called Invincible was doing the work. It was the first named engine I had ever seen.

• Like 11

Morning All,

First of all, condolencies to Don and Happy Anniversary to Jock.

We have another rather strange morning weather wise.  According to the radio, the temperatures are down around freezing in many parts of Hessen - but we have 4°C.

I was speaking to my neighbour yesterday afternoon, and she was reporting that Crocus are starting to bloom in her garden.  It is definitely too early for that!  I reckon that there must be a proper cold snap before Spring arrives.

Time for a coffee!

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 4

Good morning one and all

I might have to do some expensive shopping soon.  It seems that the little electronic box that converts my analogue TV into a digital one and allows me to record programmes is ailing. Twice in the past week or so it has frozen.  To unfreeze it entails turning it off and back on, which reinstalls everything but deletes pre-set recording instructions.  Another little foible it has developed is to lose the sound from live programmes after it has been bypassed so that I can watch a DVD.  Off and on cures that too but it seems to be suffering from built-in obsolescence.  A few months ago it received works attention after playing back recorded programmes minus sound.  After the hard drive had been wiped it seemed to function as it should but it is clearly trying to tell me something.   My TV is only the second that I have owned since 1985 and still has a cathode ray tube, how quaint.  It tends to have a colour cast which disappears after a while or after I thump the set.  I shall visit the dealership this morning after I have been to the bank.  Serves me right for watching too much TV I guess.

All this is but a minor irritation and a pale insignificance compared with the troubles of others.   Thank you for bearing with me while I rant.  To those with far more serious things on their minds I extend best wishes or condolences as best suit.

Chris

• RMweb Premium

Yep Happy Anniversary Jock and Joanna. And here's to the next one.

Youngest Herbert left early to catch the 7am Leeds to Edinburgh train as his new employers are having a meeting at their (Caley) brewery today and tomorrow. He didn't wake us up so he is a star!

Eldest Herbert is on with the last bits of his thesis alterations and will be handing it in shortly. Hopefully the changes will be acceptable. If not I am off to see the powers that be in Hull to ask why they asked for the changes in the first place.

Looked in on the beer thread. These craft beers don't seem to have a head to them. Proper beers should leave a "tide mark" down the side of the glass.....loops that's my early years watching my mum and dad serving Vaux beers in Blackhall Officials Club.

Hope your trip goes well Jock.

Keep on making with the positive ways everyone.

Baz

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

I didn't ever like Boddingtons. It was the draught beer on the cruise ships we went on. I though it was wiser to stick to stuff from bottles.

When ir was brewed at Strangeways as a regional brew, it was an excellent beer when pulled off the hand pump.  It was very bitter and hoppy.

It was after the Boddington family sold the brand and brewery to Whitbread that things started to go national and wrong....

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a village that is still here as the gloom hurries away.   Lots of good posts but I will have to love you and leave you.   I have to go and give a two hour talk to a class of theology students on 'Baptist Worship'.  A bit out of my comfort zone but as the guy who asked me is one of my operators on Green Ayre I need to repay many favours.  The interesting thing is that it is at a Catholic establishment (Leeds Trinity) and only two of the students have any active interest in religion.  Apparently the others are doing the course as an easy option.  As Chris (Their tutor and Uni Chaplain) is a model railway friend with a wicked sense of humour, there may even be a bit of subtle teasing going on.

Regards to all, hopefully chance for a catch up later.

Jamie

• Like 12