RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Evening everyone. The day started out misty and grey, but by early morning the sun was out and it was quite a pleasant day, if still slightly chilly. Work took me to Accrington and Rawtenstall today, just three jobs to do today but each one was on a different site.

Chimps tea party again tonight, but we only had the 2 girls this evening as their brother was at a school chums birthday party. But as he wasn't here it was a little quieter as he's easily bored, and he then takes it out on his sisters.

It's Friday night so it was off to the pool again for me tonight, I like the fact that it can be very quiet sometimes.

As I'm right handed, my left hand is full of scars of one type or another. A few years back I was on a site where the gates (10ft X 10ft steel palisade type gates) which were a bit too close to each other, and to make them close properly you had to use a great deal of force to pull the gates shut. Whilst trying to close them one day I inadvertently trap the middle finger on my left hand, resulting in bursting the nail from its nail bed and blood pouring everywhere. My first aid kit is always easily accessible in the boot, so a temporary dressing was applied and I then drove my self home, went to my workshop and drilled a small hole with a pin vice in my nail to relive the pain, but the blood kept drying quickly and clogging it up. After enlarging the hole a couple of times, I ended up going to hospital to get it seen to, they used a tool which resembled a soldering iron to burn a hole (well 2 holes) in my nail to relieve the pain, it was instant!

Jock, your zest for life is truly inspirational, keep it up!

John. Glad your stent op went ok, best thing is listen to the doctors and take their advice.

Debs. Sorry to her about your lose, it's never easy when you lose a pet.

Goodnight all.

• RMweb Premium

Ian A - sad news.

Indeed.  My thoughts are with you and those who have a vacant seat at the table.   The speed with which ER now moves makes this seem like old news as it's several pages back but the needs of actual reality dictate I don't get to read every post every day and respond in a timely manner.

Also condolences to those with recently-departed canine friends / family.  It's not so long ago that I spent longer than I would have liked coping with the loss of a cat.  When you spend 15 - 20 years of your life together providing love, care and companionship any loss becomes the harder to bear.

ER is one of those places we can come to share, be not judged and receive support and friendship from those we often have only met through the troubling of electrons.  

Jock - you owe us nothing by way of an apology.  Every one here can learn a thing or two from you, your determination and sheer grit.  Say what you can when you can and take all the time you need to rest.

Avagoodweekend all.  It's a "long" one here as Monday is Labour Day holiday in the State of Victoria (it differs in other states); I'm working lates through the weekend but Monday and Tuesday are booked off anyway so the only difference it makes to me is ..... errrr ....... nothing at all.   :)

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

' Evening all from red dragon.

This snippet from The Muppet Christmas Carol came to mind when I started to catch up:

Rizzo the Rat: "Oh, this is too gory. I don't think I wanna see any more!"...

Gonzo (turning to ERs): "You're on your own, folks. We'll meet you on Bod's ER Index!"

Anyway, I'm back now to pass on condolences and commiserations.  Sorry to hear Deb's has lost another of her faithful collies.  And hope your hip sorts itself out, Neil.

Dave,  thanks for WSR VIDEO.  It's already for me to watch when I sign off.

Cue to say 'Night all and nos da and hope tomorrow is kind to you all.

Edited by southern42
  • Like 11

My thoughts are with those in pain, whether physical or emotional, although sometimes medication helps with the physical, the emotional get no respite.

And so, to bed.

Goodnight Everyone . . . Sweet dreams.

John

• Like 11

A story which could have been gory, but didn't work out that way.

A guy I worked with on a building site was often the only person on the site wearing a hard hat, unless it was raining (this was in the 1960s). He did this because he had been working on another site, and wearing a helmet, when a scaffolder working above him had dropped a scaffolding clip. These are the things which hold the horizontals and verticals together on a scaffold, and weigh several pounds. It hit him on the helmet, which was made of hard plastic and held together by tight, elasticated webbing. The helmet did its job, stopped the clip hitting his head, but splitting from the impact. The webbing pulled it back together, but his hair got caught in the split. They couldn't pull the halves apart to get his hair out - he had to go to hospital to have his helmet amputated!

• Like 20

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, yes it is the early train to London again and yes this time I will get back to my pit and become a late riser. Still she enjoyed yesterdays trip on an HST apart from it being filthy as she said though she wouldn't be get money off for not being able to see out of the window. The lack of power sockets was also an issue apparently. Have a great Saturday if you can. 

It is reported that Keith Emerson has died in California of a self-inflicted gunshot. Age 71.

Never liked ELP but I liked The Nice and saw them a couple of times.

Pete.

Edited by trisonic

• RMweb Premium

Mawnin' awl. I think it was around 5 am when I first woke up and couldn't doze off again. Will need to raise caffeine levels, but may I first add my sympathies for Debs in particular. Really not what you need when you're just recovering yourself…  :(

Best, not just good, vibrations for everyone else under the weather, too. Will try to pop in again in an hour or so.

Good morning one and all

A flying visit today as I am off to Skills Day.  Shocked to hear on the radio that Keith Emerson has died.  Like Pete, I saw him play in The Nice and could not fail to be impressed at the sound his protesting keyboard made when he stuck knives into it - during "America" if I recall correctly.  The Industrial Club in Norwich, where this happened, had an elevated stage which was vibrating alarmingly and I thought it best not to stand under it.

Debs, my condolences on the passing of your collie.  We had a corgi for about 8 years and when it was time for him to go I spent most of the weekend bawling my eyes out.

With the customary good wishes to the ailing, au revoir

Chris

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Dry and a bit foggy but should stay reasonably fine with some sunshine.

Busy day today as I'm off to Basingstoke so will probably see you later Mike. I need to leave there in time to get home to watch a rather important rugby match. Most of you will know who I support but for the benefit of anyone in doubt I will not be singing Land of my Fathers (because it isn't) although I must admit it's a very good tune. As has been my custom for many years now I will not be betting on the outcome because I've been disappointed too many times.

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

So, yesterday was spent first on this Großzug of 2109-2113-916…

img_42381tka7.jpg

…which cars I found to have harmonised well. Our depot crews do attempt to form sets such that cars which are known to match each other well are put together, as far as this is possible with inevitable repairs and maintenance to be observed as well. This location is the loop at Volbedingstraße in Schönefeld, bordering a business area which to my mind has seen better days.

Later, things became particularly interesting because, having arrived at Naunhofer Straße with 1127 "Friedrich Schiller" on Line 2…

dsc01003lykr5.jpg

…I proceeded empty to Connewitz Station to change over to Line 11E for a final trip before depot return. Ordinarily, this specific turn (271) returns to Leuschnerplatz on its usual path, changing there to Line 11E and working down to Connewitz and back up to Wahren as 1171. However, the water mains repairs I had mentioned some days ago ruled out the regular routine, so I transited to Connewitz along Philipp-Rosenthal-Straße, Zwickauer Straße and Richard-Lehmann-Straße.

img_42438fk8j.jpg

The junction of Zwickauer and Richard-Lehmann-Straße where I needed to wait for the right signal to clear. Note the "A" chamber being lit, acknowledging my tram to have logged into the traffic light/signal control unit and requested the route. Furthermore, take note of the point signal – every single point having an identification number which is duplicated on a corresponding plate on the signal screen – indicating Point 653 to be set to Right and to be doubly locked. With the "X" – properly, W 0 – indicating an electronic resetting lock, the only way I would now have been able to reset this point – had this become necessary – would have been to get out and "throw" it with the point bar carried aboard.

img_424433j55.jpg

This stretch of Richard-Lehmann-Straße is usually worked only during the annual Wave Gothic Meeting on Whitsun when Line 31 is in operation. Of course, having routes like this available for diversions is an invaluable resource, too!

This photo might also give you a tiny impression of the substantial amount of buildings from the Promoterist, Art Nouveau and Historicist periods still in existence in this city. During the GDR era, these areas had suffered from massive neglect in favour of prefabricated housing, but since the 1990s, a reverse trend has developed – even causing parts of the prefab areas to be cleared and renatured by now. Interestingly, experience seems to have shown that even in spite of having been neglected for decades, the much older 19th and early 20th century buildings had been built to much better quality so that, in general, they are very well suited for renovation.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Nottingham, a flying visit only as we need to get breakfasted befre getting bussed t the show.    Sorry to hear about the oss of various much loved pets.

Better keep gory stories for another day.

Keep fighting the good fight Jock.

Jamie

• Like 14

Andy I have read about the water issue. The alert is creeping our way, buy has not reached us yet. Take care. If you need anything give us a shout.

Not nice for anyone in that area. Still, -it's not just as bad as what the people of Flint MI are suffering right now.

After my brain had wound down last night I slept like a log for the first time in several days. Previously I'd been paranoid that lying a certain way might have 'triggered an event'; a notion somewhat validated by the 'before' image displayed on the angiogram!

For the second time in a year I have reason to be exceptionally grateful for the professionalism and humanity of our NHS people. :-)

• Like 1

Morning all,

Crashed out after posting last night as I was completely exhausted, but just come-to refreshed having slept really well. This may seem like one-upmanship, but I've often mentioned that my university course included a couple of periods in industry, getting our hands dirty as it were. These also took up a fair chunk of our holiday time as well, and as my parents next door neighbour was foreman in charge of the large Plant, Repair and Servicing Depot of W. C. French & Co. (Still going as 'French Kier') and it was based near their house in Harlow so a word in the right ear saw me working through the various shops where skills already learnt at my father's motorcycle racing shop came in handy straight away as anyone who ever worked on a side valve Villiers engine from small plant (pump, mixer, etc.) would realise how easy a complete overhaul on these simple devices could be! I loved the time there, working on such ancient engines as those in the Ruston Cranes and Excavators (which doubtless Neil (NHN) will confirm had nautical roots and came apart one cylinder at a time, all the way up to the highly sophisticated Caterpillar, Straight Six or V-Eight engines with their twin overhead camshaft, four valve per cylinder, modernity, carrying their own 'donkey engine' for starting and powered the familiar vehicles seen on motorway and major road works at either end of those massive earth movers. The six cylinder ones powered the most common bull-dozer used there and it was in this shop that the awful accident I alluded to last night occurred, luckily when I was away on site elsewhere. The 'CAT shop' as it was known was run by a very experienced and strong man who had worked his way up from the shop floor, but on this particular day, he made what transpired to be a fatal error - the routine on these machines, which were operated by strong hydraulic pumps and pipes, was to raise all the parts you wanted to gain access to, and when happy, switch off the engine and start to dismantle after having strategically placed heavy wooden blocks under all heavy and elevated parts. For some unaccountable reason, (and this is where earlier posts about being cut, losing bits of finger etc brought back the memory to me) this chap omitted one block under the raised massive blade that normally scraped the ground, and when he reached through and uncoupled the hydraulic power line, the blade dropped and de-capitated him!! That was the horror I promised you, and the lesson from it has stuck with me most of my life.

To turn back to the sad subject of our lost loved animals, Joanna and I feel almost guilty that tomorrow sees our Archie the Westie achieve the ripe old age of 9 (63 human years equivalent someone tells me!) and even after that comparatively short time, we would be completely devastated to lose him, and that from him that didn't ever want a pet. He has certainly warmed is way in to my heart and I really wish I had the words for those lovely human-beings like Debs who have shown such love and devotion over so many years.

Pete(trisonic), I hadn't read the 'gunshot wound' bit over here, perhaps Beeb24 will have caught up by now, thank you. Can't say as I liked the Nice at all, although I do remember Robert Palmer's song where he is backed by several rather under-clad young ladies for some reason.

Oops, the door bell heralds this morning's carer, so I best go and get ready for the day! I shall lurk and try to post later and ask that you accept commiserations/congratulations as deserved until then - keep taking the pills,

Kind regards,

Jock.

• Like 8

Not nice for anyone in that area. Still, -it's not just as bad as what the people of Flint MI are suffering right now. ............

As I'd lived in Flint for a year in 1971/2 with my ex husband, I felt compelled to investigate your comment and am appalled by my findings. Two years ago, the decision was taken to change from buying fresh Lake Huron water from Detroit City Council to using the polluted River Flint instead. Because no attempt was made to prevent it, the polluted water took the lead from the ageing pipes into the water supply.

All this in a city that has seen its motor manufacturing industry disappear during the close of the last century, resulting in it becoming a place with one of the highest crime rates in the USA. Now it's children are being seen at the hospital with high levels of lead in their blood, causing rashes and hair loss. I could weep for the residents of this once flourishing city.

Edited by Ashcombe

Morning all. Another foggy start but at least it's clearing.

I'm expecting the bill for the van service and repair to be painful but it has to be done.

I hope that all the rugby today is entertaining no matter what the results.

Have a good day everyone

• Like 12

Still no water here in South Derbyshire, Seven Trent have a problem with to much Chloride in a Local Reservoir and so we have been told NOT TO DRINK, WASH IN, OR GET ANY WATER ON THE SKIN until they sort it out. All the shops have sold out of Bottled water and STW are supposed to be bringing a bowser and water bottles around but with OVER 3,500 properties affected I doubt we will see anyone. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-35786378

Morning one and all. Well I went down to Sainsburys at 23.00 yesterday as Severn Trent Water were giving out bottled Water to affected people, they checked my Post Code and although we are in the DE11 Post Code we are not in the -7 or -8 areas of the Code, SO we have spent the whole evening worrying about whether we had actually touched or drank any affected water but we are O.K. I came home and did all the washing up that had accumulated, had a nice Milky Coffee and went to bed.

Re Checked my Mums Post Code and although she lives in the affected DE15 Code, again she isn't in the -0 area, so I'm off to see her in a minute and just check that she's all O.K.

Have a good day all.

• Like 1

Morning all. Sounds like you had a bit of a night there. Glad to hear that, having consumed the water, you are still ok. I hope your mum is ok too.

Great to see Jock's post this morning even if his story did make me shudder.

Not a great morning here. Amber had a restless night. Her cough still has not gone away and the disturbed night, along with her return to nursery, has left her extremely tired and lethargic this morning. She has decided to give her ballet lesson a miss. The plan had been that, after ballet, I was taking her and Sarah up to MiL's. Amber was going to stay there for the day whilst Sarah went to the Nottingham F####t match and I went to the Nottingham show armed with leaflets for the Weston event. Amber is now saying she does not want to go out at all so, for today at least, model railway shows are looking off my agenda.

Hope you all have a good day.

Mawning Awl.

Foggy here, so no chance of the whelkmen putting to sea. I suspect that by noon the harbourside will be thronged with them and their families eating whelks and drinking the local wine, made from pressed carrots and Bri-Wax.

Commiserations to Debs - I realise how hard that is. And thoughts to Neil and Jock.

I'm in shock at the death of Keith Emerson. I was a huge Nice fan back in the day, and even booked them for a college gig. I once saw them play in silver space suits andKeith Emerson had a sort of theremin stick which he played by running over his body. The first time I saw him attack a Hammond organ with a Bowie knife he had me. I hope he didn't take his own life - even at 71 that would be a horrible scenario.

Absolutely nothing on the board for today, so may do some Monty.

Have an excellent one.

• RMweb Premium

Morning.

Still not right here, just when I thought I had it sussed.....4am.  Bleurgh.  New pain control not working, yet when I went to bed I felt fine.  This is driving me nuts.  Joint is noticeably swollen, according to Mrs H's observation of my hind quarters.  Less said, really....

A great Nice/ELP fan here, so I am gutted about Keith Emmerson.  I hear he did take his own life.  The live vinyl treble album of 'Welcome Back My Friends, to The Show That Never Ends' remains one of my favourites.  My big brother saw The Nice live in Newcastle, I was too young to go :-(  Listening to Elegy now, with Emmerson torturing his keyboards.  RIP Keith.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Nice to hear from Jock once more even if his tale was a bit gruesome but bought to mind a similar accident I was told of. The chap who told me of this was a toolmaker at Fords Dagenham plant with the body press tools were made/repaired. As the press tools wore out they had to be replaced in situ, the hydraulic press was the biggest in the factory used for producing roof panels. Normally the machine opened up about a couple of inches, the steel sheet was slid in by the operator, pressed and then removed. To replace the press tools it was neccessary to open the press to a couple of feet, brace it and then the fitter had to crawl into the space to release the tool. On this occasion the fitter failed to brace the machine, its not certain what happened next but there was a loud bang as the press closed with the fitter inside. All that could be seen of the fitter was a pair of feet sticking out of the side of the press. The panels made in the machine were about 20 thou thick, about half a millimetre and the fitter was 'pressed' into that space. It was speculated that as it was a Friday the tool fitter had tried to rush the job by not installing the necessary bracing that was designed to stop the press from closing accidently. Having received training in health and safety I have heard some hair raising tales of accidents most of which could have been avoided.

Edit spelling.

Edited by PhilJ W

• RMweb Gold

PeterBB - I agreed with your post until the last sentence. May I refer you to the following http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/35765154  :jester:

A fairly busy time in the morning so that I can enjoy the England v Wales match.

Totally shattered, so, night all

Duncan,

I like rugby, have viewed the above, and can agree with a lot of what is said - watching a good team play well whoever they are is good.  My frustrations with England, and my wife in the past has videoed my reaction, are the penalties and careless handling at critical times.  I could also never understand not going for the penalty in the World Cup ... one of us will no doubt be drowning our sorrows tonight and you'll forgive me if I say I hope it might be the Wales supporter!  If not then many ERs will no doubt have a good 'sleep-in' tomorrow morning.

Peter

• Like 7

We had to have a major test of the marine evacuation system on the Pride of Bruge. This was a huge door, one on both sides of the ship which was opened in emegency and the evacuation slide would enable you to leave the ship safely. As these doors were tested only every so often we had to have maintenance staff from the firm concerned. The door wouldnt budge for some reason as the external clamps wouldnt release under the power applied by the emergency release button.

The maintenance guy went outside where he could observe the clamps. There was a small walkway between the external surface of the door and the ships side and the ships side at this point was about 4 inches above the dedk thus allowing the huge door to open outwards. The clamps wouldnt mòve so the maintenance guy decided to give them a good hit with a hammer. One by one they were released until the last one, the door sprang open under the power release pressure. As it hit the guy his ankle became trapped before he was knocked over the ships side into the water some 3 decks below. He was rescued by the lifeboat with a badly broken ankle.

We had liferaft training in the public swimming pool in Dover. About 6.30 in the morning we were being shown how to release the life raft from the white canister. Then you would jump in the pool, turn the liferaft over upright and climb in.

The guy demonstrating the canister showed us to pull the lanyard which in turn triggered the compressed air to blow the 2 halves of the canister apart and release the liferaft which would then start inflating. He tugged the lanyard but nothing happened. He tugged it sharply again but nothing. So he went up to it, grabbed the lanyard immediately next to the canister and pulled. The top half flew off hitting him on the head sending him flying backwards. Fortunately apart from a cut and a headache he was ok.

Please dont try these actions at home. Remember, these 2 guys were professionals and got paid for their knowledge!

• Like 3