Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Didn't realise how tired I was until I woke up in the armchair so its off to bed shortly as its another busy day tomorrow. Its a modelling show but not specifically railways but sometimes you find kits and other modelling items that can be used on a layout. A few years ago at the same show I came across some LP covers in 1/72 scale printed photographically like the Tiny Signs notices were, I passed some on to a fellow modeller and they now grace a 'record stall' on his layout. http://www.southernexpo.co.uk

Theres also plenty of traders selling tools and paints as well. Getting near to bedtime so goodnight all.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Well, the wines been consumed the recorded programmes have been watched and now it's time for bed.

I planning to spend most of the day in the workshop tomorrow continuing to work on that tender, hopefully get a little bit further with it, maybe even getting as far as the priming stage, we'll have to see.

Ready for bed now.

Goodnight all.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

I do not qualify

Ian - in my opinion we all qualify here.  The nature of the beast is immaterial - it's the nature of ourselves that we offer each other support, care and friendship no matter what.

Pop The Question

Johnny Walker's lunchtime feature for some years.  Sometimes caught on the transistor if there were no prefects within range in the school yard 

Radio Luxembourg

Produced some star turns including David "Kid" Jensen whose show you were lucky to even hear in the UK thanks to the technical limitations of medium-wave transmission which resulted in the signal fade-out at night.  He was "last man" on the UK service between I think 1am - 3am.  Anyone also remember Mark Wesley on 208m MW who styled himself "Wild and Wooly and Wonderful"?

Slow Sunday here.  Just trying to dry the uniform for tomorrow and dropping in occasionally to check for news / views from Ally Pally.  Was intending to do breakfast at our regular cafe but the Good Lady has declared herself unwilling to wake for some time yet so it's toast and a mug of tea at the computer instead.  One week to go until the chocolate bunnies can be un-hidden and enjoyed ;)

• Like 3

Night all.

All set for Ally Pally in the morning, need to be up early to drive down there in good time, etc. This year I've made sure to have SD cards in/with the camera to avoid last year's debarcle of getting all the way there and discovering that I'd forgotten them! I had my phone with me for photos, but not the same.

Evening all. I would like to start by offering my condolences to Bob. I feel a little guilty for originally missing your news - my thoughts are with you.

My best wishes to everyone else too. I hope those who went to Ally Pally had a great time. Not a show I was ever going to get to myself.

I have been struggling since yesterday with a bad back, probably caused by carrying a heavy crate of ongoing work into and out of school each morning. Jumping up to celebrate a certain goal at Pride Park this afternoon did not help of course, but I am not complaining. Of course my smiles at Derby's victory means misery for my Forest supporting wife. The only time I am glad she is unhappy. Of course I did buy her some flowers on the way home from the game to cheer her up.

Edited by andyram
  • Like 6

Today was a bit hectic . . .The Aycliffe show was  small but enjoyable. . . escaped without buying anything.

Granddaughter - and her Mam (DD1) this afternoon cost a little more followed by lunch at The Almighty Cod, in Seaton Canoe, followed by Ice Creams. .. 

Home for a quick Nap, then brought my mate over for a night of Guitar picking in my kitchen. . .

Over-all a good but Knackering tiring day.

Luxemberg used to get stronger as the night progressed on the Costa. . . .Kid Jensen, Rosco, Stuart Henry, and Tony Bl00dy Prince.

Summer nights, late 60's spent on Crimdon beach with a crowd of about a dozen, a few bottles of "Amber", a few of "Strongbow", and . . .well. . .never mind. . . . 

My thoughts are with those sick, recovering or suffering in other ways.

Goodnight Everyone  . . Sweet dreams.

John

Edited by Two_sugars
  • Like 16

Talking of train doors.....

On my travels yesterday observing a HST arriving at Derby. It stops and there's quite a pause without the door opening. The Orange CDL lights have illuminated, so they are unlocked. However, both sets of passengers - on and off the train waited for the door to magically open on it's own........

Eventually, someone decided to have a go with the big shiny lever thingy........

I must admit, it was a bit of a culture shock travelling on an HST a couple of years ago for the first time in a decade, to have to show Mrs. Squid (who is Japanese) how to operate the door. "First you pull down the window, then you feel for the outside handle, turn it and push the door outwards while trying not to fall outwards with it."

Still, at least they seem to have some sort of central locking these days.

Would write more but taking care of Squidlet.

• Like 14

I must admit, it was a bit of a culture shock travelling on an HST a couple of years ago for the first time in a decade, to have to show Mrs. Squid (who is Japanese) how to operate the door. "First you pull down the window, then you feel for the outside handle, turn it and push the door outwards while trying not to fall outwards with it."

Still, at least they seem to have some sort of central locking these days.

Would write more but taking care of Squidlet.

I can well imagine it being a shock to some in these days of multiple units with automatic doors.

There was a reason behind the need to open window and lean out to open from outside, to prevent accidental opening from within iirc. A number of incidents before they did that with doors coming open prematurely etc.

Sleep is proving illusive this evening so am awake early. Will make the journey down to London a bigger pain! Hopefully will grab a few hours before leaving in a few hours or so...

Luxemberg used to get stronger as the night progressed on the Costa. . . .

Likewise in Paisley, although it did have an annoying habit of fading at the good bits. AM can travel considerable distances by bouncing off the ionosphere at night.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Mawnin' awl. Have been semi-awake since about 5 am but continued dozing with a bit of classical music  through the headphones. At least sunrise keeps occurring earlier day by day, which also reminds me of the DST changeover next Sunday! 

Initial weather forecasts for the Easter weekend sound promising, too. I'll be driving on Good Friday and Easter Monday, so perhaps I might even be able to do so with short sleeves!

Enjoy your Sunday, everyone!

• Like 14

G’night, Jock!

Going to bed at 2:40am and I think most of ER’s getting up! Lustre lacking for Model Trains, nowadays - it’s all too complicated and I know I’ll get bored as soon as the actual modeling has finished. Still toying with static models in various scales but even they have to have room and dusted etc.

It’s easier for me to pick up some kind of guitar and play (just like yesterday but I will not get on my knees and pray - too cynical and my knees hurt).

Best, Pete.

• Like 1

Good morning one and all, a tad late today after a long day yesterday.

Two hours and two pints flew by yesterday at Ally Pally, where it was a pleasure to join the ER conclave.  My thoughts on the show will follow shortly in the appropriate thread.  Some matters arising now. 

I forget who mentioned lady morris dancers. Be in no doubt that some of them are very good indeed.  My picks, for what they are worth, are Windsor Morris who dance Cotswold style, Mortimers and Chinewrde who dance in North West mode, Martha Rhodens Tuppenny Dish whose dances stem from the Border tradition, and Loose Women who are in a class of their own!

DJs - yes, Stuart Henry was taken by MS and a sad loss he was.  Tony Windsor was not hired by the BBC, possibly because he would not work with a producer.  After Big L he went to Radio 355 and then Luxembourg, where he can perhaps be forgiven for giving Noel Edmonds basic training [just think what he would be like without it].  Tony died in 1985.  Keith Skues, now you're talking!  He is still with us at 77 and has carved himself a niche on BBC radio for the Eastern Counties.  We met aboard the MV Galaxy in May 1967 and still exchange Christmas cards.

There is probably something that I have forgotten but it will have to wait until after breakfast.  May all those in need of our thoughts draw comfort from them.

Chris 

• Like 11

Apparently today is Durham Day. So for those unfortunates who weren't born in the best County in the world can I say...what a shame!

So, if it's that good?

How come you're

Off to Derbyshire soon....

Sorry Baz, toooooo tempting :jester:

ps Cloudy in Derbyshire :D

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Grey days with that wretched north-easterly still spoiling the party.

Luxembourg was an odd mixture. Leaving aside the limitations of the transmission medium (sorry) it seemed to operate on two levels. There were live djs spinning discs in real time, but they tended to be used for short fill-in slots. From 1961 ISTR someone called Ted, playing several versions of the same song, and declaring the Sarah Vaughan version to be the best. Yet Luxembourg's real income, and the reason the transistors were under the covers for the youngsters, was Top 20 stuff, in which Ms Vaughan would not feature. Programmes of 15 and 30 mins were pre-recorded by EMI, Decca, Philips, Pye etc and so on, and sent over ready for transmission. The recorded DJs were top line people, e.g. David Jacobs, Pete Murray, Jack Jackson, Jimmy SaVile, and included some slightly more cosmopolitan names like Ray Orchard, who added a transatlantic sophistication, and David Gell, with a more jazzy orientation.

The pirates did for Luxembourg, just as they did for stuffy Light Programme, and were ulitmately the cause of the Beeb losing the requirement to play a large % of live music, which was increasingly unpopular with the target young audience, and less concern about 'needle time' although these silly anachronisms blighted the early years of Radio 1.

A grey cat is rolling on the bed between washes. Very relaxing! Hope your Sunday delivers.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Cloudy. Not cold.

Off to Enfield for lunch at Aditi's sister's house. Her cousin who is studying at the University of Bath is visiting this weekend. Lunch will be traditional English style,roast lamb. I am not sure what the vegetarians will be getting.

Tony

• Like 14

"Pete you need to get out and play trains. I keep planning new layouts but have, as yet, not got one in my layout room and I do miss a quick 'play'!

Baz”

Baz,  I’m afraid that model train operation, watching them or playing with them was always low on my enjoyment quotient. Making models was/is my thing - when I finished them it always was: “Next!”

I’m just odd I suppose... I still enjoy getting out and photographing the real thing but my biggest enemy is time.

As you can tell, I cannot get to sleep.

Tony, I’m off to In Law for an Italian “Palm Sunday” dinner on Staten Island. The promised snow look increasingly unlikely in any quantity so no excuses.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 1