The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

We didn't go to Delft today we are going tomorrow now. I wasn't too well but I managed to medicate enough so we could meet Matthew for lunch. Then a quiet afternoon in the hotel and we went over the road to a cafe attached to a bioscoop (cinema). Considering I was just going to have something light I ate a lamb shank on bean cassoulet.

Tony

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Andy P and fireworks.

Our dog hated fireworks but one year she had no response ... it was then that we confirmed that she wasn't ignoring us - she was deaf.

At a hospital I once knew the annual firework evening ended abruptly after one rocket veered off course straight through a window and hit a patient ... it did of course end the tradition for ever.

Bombs going off - survivor as a youngster - because I was under the sink chasing a ball when the windows came in - the ceiling fell a short time after.  Many people were not so lucky because the local Cambridge Arms pub and half a street was demolished as well as half a row of houses in the next road and the house on the end of our block ... we were in reality just lucky.

• Like 2

Its kind of strange that fireworks have been with us forever. As a kid of nine in Enfield I bought bangers and misused them way back in the 60's. Pets must have been scared then and we had bangers and jumping jacks.

Fireworks used forever and annually and with WW2 deeply in peoples minds and yet I cannot remember anybody complaining about the noise. My Mum and her parents were bombed out of their house. She has always been scared of wars since then but has NEVER ever said anything about fireworks. She used to buy me them. We had firework parties with relatives. We had pets who lived for years.

Whilst I can understand peoples concerns I wonder if we aren't just getting a bit soft these days?

We arent the only country to use fireworks. Many other countries use them. I bought some bangers back from Germany once that I am sure could have opened safes.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

I think some of the fireworks from about 10 years ago until a couple of years ago let off in south Essex were much louder and flashier than I recall as a child. The last two years I have noticed something of a reduction. The shock and awe display was muted. Robbie isn't bothered by fireworks. If the bang is loud enough to make something rattle he might bark like he does if suspicious cats approach the house. Friends have dogs that are terrified. Perhaps people always did but can communicate it to others due to social media.

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Reading all of this reminded of, many years ago, in the Scouts we had what were known as 'Scout wide games'. We used to split into two teams, disappear into the local woods and throw 'bangers' at each other. I seem to remember one team had to defend a rocket in a bottle the other had to set it off. There weren't many other rules.

I wonder if they still do this today?

• Like 13

Aren't friendly football games fun? We could lose any of our players for the Euros.

I thought that England played really well. To win 3-2 having been 2-0 down shows a certain character. Would that Scotland were as good... One day :training:

Mal

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Evening everyone.

What a change in the weather compared to yesterday, dull, wet and windy, (the weather not me). Still I managed to get a few hours in the workshop again. The construction of all major parts of the tender is now completed. That just leaves the detailing bits, the electrical work and the pick-ups to do. I'd only been in the house about 30 minutes when the heavens opened up with torrential rain. Sheila exclaimed, "you timed that nicely, didn't you, you lucky bu99er".

I'd recently read some good reviews about ultrasonic cleaners on the inter web. Our eldest son, who works for a Swiss watch company, as a watch repairer/restorer, and after a chat with him about them where he extolled their virtues. So a few days ago I ordered myself one, one that's big enough to get a full coach kit in! When it arrives, I'm going to give it a good clean, to see well it performs. Hopefully it will save me a lot of elbow grease.

Anyway, I'm off to bed now to make up for the hour I'll lose tonight.

Goodnight all.

• Like 15

Well hello all,

Good evening to the daftest trick of my many years, after I had visited this afternoon (Last of several visits to pull us home!). I had the latest type of pants fitted which seem quite clever but had no idea the fit wouldn't quite do just that, allowing them to literally explode as I approached the bathroom, holding on to my load, only to lose it ! We had an awful stench and feeling of I'm let down in the morning, so now we await this morning's results.

Kind regards,

Jock.

G'night Pete! G'night Owls!

Don't forget about the clocks going forward tonight.

Night all

Duncan, you’re so last week............

G’night Jock, Duncan, John and the usual late night early riser vampire crowd - meet you at Lee Ho Fooks, I’ll introduce you to my tailor at Trader Vic’s...

Best, Pete.

• Like 11

Now I'm confused!

With all this electronic skulduggery, do I know if the clock on this Hudl is telling new time or old time?

What I do know is that it says 04:02 but I don't know if I've lost an hour or not!

Good morning, goodnight or whatever else may be appropriate. :)

Edited by leopardml2341

A good drive to Bedford this morning and a lot of catching up done.

Good morning one and all.  Yawn.

Belated welcome to the town, Duncan!  If I'd known you were coming, etc etc

Bedford was at its finest again last night.  There was another power cut.  If I had been a follower of 'The Voice', which I'm not, I would have been a bit cross.  As it is, I had the opportunity to try out the nice new pillows that I bought yesterday  They work.  The juice came back after about an hour, so as soon as I had reset my bedside clock radio, entered into my digi box the TV programmes that I wanted to record and made a mug of Ovaltine, there was another blackout.  Oh bother.  This time the outage was only for a few minutes but even the briefest cut necessitates the resets.  We seem to have a fragile sub-station.

Today I will be heading for the York show.  Must remember my name badge.

Best wishes to all who are ailing and recovering

Chris

• RMweb Premium

Happy Easter :D

For those for whom such things are important "Hallelujah - He is risen"

Already completed 6 3/4 hours at the Palace and now sat at home with a mug of coffee and assorted chocolate shapes including (but not limited to) bunnies and eggs.  Something stronger a bit later on.  The Good Lady is away at a work-friend's welding handfasting ceremony and isn't expected back until the wee hours so it's the remaining portion of Indian take-away delivered-to-door for tea tonight to accompany a bottle glass of French Côtes du Rhone.

Reckon I need that after reading about young lad damaging his Uncle William in the bath.  As Frank spencer might say "Oooooooh - Betty"

Best wishes to all.  Batten hatches if the weather turns wild.  It's been cool but comfortable here.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Morning all to the Shire of Early Riserdom. No idea if I can sense the clock change as I need to replenish caffeine in the mornings anyway!

Weather permitting, which does look fairly good at present, we might be out with our bikes later. I'll need to hit the sack earlyish tonight due to my early shift tomorrow, though.

Happy Easter, everyone…

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

After weeks of calm, dry weather, things are taking a turn for the seasonal. We had thunder last night, and violent rainstorms. Today it is forecast to be breezy, but overnight we will have winds up to 60 mph. I think I may have heard thunder again just now.

Sorry to note Jock is suffering new discomforts, but still manages to post things here. Remarkable fortitude.

I hope the change of clocks hasn't left you lacking sleep.

• Like 12

Morning all, Off to our Clubs Open Weekend, (Sun / Mon) and the SUN IS SHINING in Swad, (cant see that lasting) Catch up tonight.

Happy Easter Sunday and have a good Day folks.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Sunny here in the depths of Robin Hoods Bay.

Slept well, tea drunk, next up breakfast!today is egg fling day. We all go down to the beach and we all pair up. You pass each other a fresh egg. Then both take a step back. Pass the egg, step back, etc. This goes on until one pair are left and receive a trophy.

Then a trip to boggle hole to remember a deceased boggler. Home for a visit by the bogglers for tea and wads...my contribution being banana and peanut butter loaf, her indoors has baked loads of cakes including beetroot and chocolate.

Have a great Easter Day/evening.

B B Q in the rain for us tonight.

Baz

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Morning.

The easter bunny must have jumped on my head in the night as I woke with a nose bleed. Anyway otherwise feeling much better today. Matthew has just phoned to say he has too much work to do and wont be accompanying us to Delft. We may in that case just have another wander round Utrecht. Aditi really likes it here.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Good morning from a room overlooking the shipyards at Barrow.

A good day yesterday followed by a good evening wedding reception wi a cask of ale from Ulverston brewery behind the bar. I think we all had a good go at drinking it all.

This morning after breakfast in Wetherspoons we are off to Manchester. Our First class ticket was cheaper than standard class but we wil probably sit with our friends in standard class.

Tonight we will be in York.

Must keep my beer level topped up!

• Like 18