The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

One company I worked for had a fire in the site accommodation in central London just under the tower crane. Luckily I wasn't Involved with that project at the time but had been there some time before hand. Whole area closed as they weren't sure if the fire had damaged the tower crane

Edited by roundhouse

Ian - (RH) - I am intrigued that the Gosport poster shows that Queen Victoria's funeral train went to Waterloo. If so, why would it have had to reverse at Fareham, and then be hauled by the LBSCR? Obviously twaddle, as it went to Victoria - where else would you direct such a train?

If the train had needed to reverse at Fareham to get to London, then the Portsmouth Direct would not have been completed.

Interweb suggests that Portsmouth Direct was completed in October 1876, some 15 years before Victoria died.

• RMweb Gold

Waiting at Portsmouth Harbour. Guess which retrain is late in . We should have left on the Southern service by now.

However my biggest gripe is that whilst people are getting off the train, everyone near me barges on. I had a moan at them but they must just think I am a weirdo.

Mind you listening to a few of them sitting near me, they might just have one brain cell between them.

V

I do feel sorry for the guard on our Southern service on the way in this morning. The bloke in the scooter he had been helping was having a go at him for going on strike. When the guard said its because he is losing his job the bloke in the scooter basically said he didn't care.

Edit. Problems at East Croydon messing up Southern services as uusual

Edited by roundhouse

• RMweb Premium

However my biggest gripe is that whilst people are getting off the train, everyone near me barges on. I had a moan at them but they must just think I am a weirdo.

I do sometimes make an announcement to waiting passengers asking them to use all doors, but OTOH, I am often left with an impression that any kind of public transport facility seems to have a cerebral attenuation function.

Wouldn't doing the thinking for passengers take customer service just a wee bit far? Just wondering…

• Like 14

A nice part of the world Andy, you have not had to travel far to get there. Enjoy the break, hope you get to enjoy the trams.

Thanks Andy, I'm not a Tram person, nothing against them, but just can't get excited by them so at £12 for an Old Codger like me, its a lot for little reward, although I could be well wrong. Its the Jenson Owners Day there tomorrow so there are some Road Closures around I believe according to the Web site.

Need to be back for 13.30 anyway to watch the Chinese Grand Prix.

• Like 10

Afternoon all!

I do sometimes make an announcement to waiting passengers asking them to use all doors, but OTOH, I am often left with an impression that any kind of public transport facility seems to have a cerebral attenuation function.

Wouldn't doing the thinking for passengers take customer service just a wee bit far? Just wondering…

I find it amazing the number of 'terminally hard of thinking' passengers want to press the door button from the outside when they can see people inside waiting to get off. In this case, the old class 313 is my friend as I can just lean on the button and the door opens when the driver releases them! Catches most of them out.

Waiting at Portsmouth Harbour. Guess which retrain is late in . We should have left on the Southern service by now.

Mind you listening to a few of them sitting near me, they might just have one brain cell between them.
V
I do feel sorry for the guard on our Southern service on the way in this morning. The bloke in the scooter he had been helping was having a go at him for going on strike. When the guard said its because he is losing his job the bloke in the scooter basically said he didn't care.

Edit. Problems at East Croydon messing up Southern services as uusual

So how's the bloke in the scooter going to get on and off in the future when the train and station staff have lost their jobs? Maybe then he might give a thought?

Looking at the number of pubs you've checked into, I was wondering how you were wandering around! Quite a coverage!

I must admit that Southern Failways have an excellent cover-up mechanism built into their automated announcements:

The service to (insert any destination) is being delayed due to a  at (insert any intermediate station name).

No, this is not a typo, they far too often fail to program the automatic excuse generator to provide any sort of reason! (Either that or they'll think you won't believe them anyway, so why bother!)

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all!

I find it amazing the number of 'terminally hard of thinking' passengers want to press the door button from the outside when they can see people inside waiting to get off. In this case, the old class 313 is my friend as I can just lean on the button and the door opens when the driver releases them! Catches most of them out.

So how's the bloke in the scooter going to get on and off in the future when the train and station staff have lost their jobs? Maybe then he might give a thought?

Looking at the number of pubs you've checked into, I was wondering how you were wandering around! Quite a coverage!

I must admit that Southern Failways have an excellent cover-up mechanism built into their automated announcements:

The service to (insert any destination) is being delayed due to a at (insert any intermediate station name).

No, this is not a typo, they far too often fail to program the automatic excuse generator to provide any sort of reason! (Either that or they'll think you won't believe them anyway, so why bother!)

I don't have a pint in every pub (just a couple - no only joking). Quite often it's just a half. Half the interest is just visiting such wonderful places before they dissappear for good.

I have to admit that a lot of the TOCs problems are either signal failures ore people acting like lemmings which the TOC has limited influence over ( most being a political influence which we shouldnt talk about on here) but the one thing they do is how they treat their staff and timetable set up which does appear to be abysmal and the ones that I know who work for them keeps very quiet or defends them which you Can't blame them to enable them keep their job.

Even SWT and GWR seem to have improved a lot over our incumbent TOC which used to be very good but no doubt their franchise set up by Daft has a lot to do with the current problems, along with the whole of the Thameslink redevelopment which to me seems a complete disaster in the making. They can't run the current service through the central core let alone the proposed huge increase in frequency through this central core once the fly overs and redevelopment at LBG iare completed.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

I don't have a pint in every pub (just a couple - no only joking). Quite often it's just a half. Half the interest is just visiting such wonderful places before they dissappear for good.

I have to admit that a lot of the TOCs problems are either signal failures ore people acting like lemmings which the TOC has limited influence over ( most being a political influence which we shouldnt talk about on here) but the one thing they do is how they treat their staff and timetable set up which does appear to be abysmal and the ones that I know who work for them keeps very quiet or defends them which you Can't blame them to enable them keep their job.

Even SWT and GWR seem to have improved a lot over our incumbent TOC which used to be very good but no doubt their franchise set up by Daft has a lot to do with the current problems, along with the whole of the Thameslink redevelopment which to me seems a complete disaster in the making. They can't run the current service through the central core let

Alone the proposed huge increase in frequency through this central core once fly overs and redevelopment at LBG is completed

Going back nearly 20 years I was involved in 'future thinking' on trainplans which had to take account of the timetable plans for Thameslink 2000.  What they (and we) were looking at then was in the light of commercial knowledge and business forecasts of the day.  If you skid Thameslink 2000 by 20 years, which is effectively what is going on - albeit with a few changes what you get when it is implemented will be 20 years out of date on the day it opens in terms of meeting traffic levels and so on.  The fault lies with the politicos and Civil Service turning investment off (and sometimes turning it on) and expecting that what was intended for yesterday will do tomorrow's job.

A similar situation will occur on Crossrail where things have been altered in a way which seriously consumes line capacity between Old Oak Common and Airport Jcn/West Drayton in way which was never envisaged in the original scheme of 20 years ago (in which I was also indirectly involved) with minimal additional infrastructure enhancement provided to cater for substantial increases in train numbers and frequency over the early 1990s trainplan.

• RMweb Premium

Back.

Mrs NHN diagnosed with a fatty lump, not thought to be anything sinister, but it's got to come out, it's on the side of her hip so day surgery, hopefully.

Old bike feeling slightly better, found a duff advance and retard unit with a spring that had gone all flobber-dobber, timing miles out, tight exhaust tappets....and it's still not right.  Better, but not right.  Going to leave it in the back of the garage in disgust for while and use another one, that'll teach it.

Lovely sunny evening and it's still bloody freezing, there was snow on the mountain today, and the air feels like it.   There is a real wintery feel, but it looks spring like.  Odd.  The visibility is superb, Scotland looks close enough to kayak over in an hour, but it's 32 miles.

• RMweb Premium

The fault lies with the politicos and Civil Service turning investment off (and sometimes turning it on) and expecting that what was intended for yesterday will do tomorrow's job.

Doesn't sound too unfamiliar to me, too. It does, of course, get even worse when there is myopic NIMBYism involved as well – which I'd like to emphasise I see as a distinctly different thing to reasoned and well-founded objections based on demonstrable facts, bringing forth which can, of course, be of value to actually improving a project and raising public acceptance for it.

• RMweb Gold

http://www.handmadecharlotte.com/healthy-hungry-hippo-soup-recipe/

Soup will never be the same once you learn how to make super fun Hungry Hippo Rolls!

This is not a picture of me and the PH at rest today!

Much as we tried, we had to unload a trailer full of wood (New raised vegetable beds).

All the electrical conduits from the car (For the workshop).

Check off all the large scale loco project components.

Act as Commissionaires for the Horton Hussars (Two very nice young ladies who keep horses opposite the Muddy Hollow (Forward)).  We help them with the gates and mounting up.

Then the Obergrumpenfuhrer came home.

Fortunately we'd remembered to put the Dyson into the entrance hallway ensuring it was plugged in.

PH went out, I cooked tea.

All is bliss and harmony.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Morning all,

Rick has clearly not been past West Drayton station in recent months or he would have noticed the footbridge now being erected - a whopping great thing as seems to be the case with most of the new ones going in on the GWML.  Details about various stations and what is happening to them can be found here - just click on the relevant station name.  BTW some of what is happening is nonsensical - at Maidenhead some very flimsy looking and very high new platform canopies have been erected and observed during rain they seem to be about as effective as a chocolate teapot while at Tilehurst the traditional GWR canopy edges have simply (and probably not cheaply) been setback by about 9 inches.

http://www.crossrail.co.uk/route/western-section/hayes-harlington-station

In the meanwhile the sour note is that I have found the damage the dumbcluck brainless a*sefaced cockwomble driving a Wickes lorry did to my car in Marlborough yesterday although fortunately the point of connection was the rubbing strip on the offside rear door and it isn't too noticeable from most angles.  Clearly I won't get anything towards repairs from that bunch of money grubbers but I might be able to leave it unless it shows up once the car has had a clean. and if I ever see one of their lorries in some handy location I'll repay the compliment - WD40 on the windscreen ought to do the trick.

But on a much brighter note a parcel - yet to be opened but seemingly well wrapped - has arrived this morning from an RMweb member in North Wales although I know the content has a DCC chip in place but hopefully it will run on old fashioned electrickery without surgery.

Have a good day one & all

PS Parcel - very well wrapped parcel - briefly checked and the 4-6-0 contained therein can be considered to have arrived safely, not yet played with tested.

I've been rather reluctant to comment but all I see is overgrown bus shelters...greenhouse sun traps in summer...  :heat:

But thanks for posting link (I book marked Southall a while back, but didn't think to check out H&H).

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone. Sheila is now the proud owner of a new pair of trainers, and she is a happy bunny, as she will no longer be little slipping around on the church hall floor now whilst doing her Zumba routines.

We decided to have something different for our Indian meal tonight, having decided to have a chicken sali, and very nice it was too. A really nice mix of vegetables and chicken, followed as usual by some more red wine.

There was nowt on TV so we watched a couple of films instead.

Goodnight all.

• Like 12