RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Popped back in to congratulate Mal on the good news.  That's something we're a bit light on currently.  Well done, Sir, and may you never have to darken the oncologist's door again (except perhaps for after-care which as we know can go on for some years)

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

North of Inverness we have The Glen Ord distillery but I'm not sure if they still do tours, the Dalwhinnie at Alness, and the Glen Morangie at Tain . On the Black Isle just north of Inverness there is the Black Isle Brewery - with some good beers and out to the east is the Whiskey Trail with a whole slew of distilleries to keep people happy - I suspect it will involve a "designated driver" to be available though.

Glen Ord do a good tour and you can by their product there which isn't sold in the UK, I like it it's called the Singleton of Ord and goes out to the Far East, they also do the malt for Talisker, but check to see if there is washing on the line and which way the wind blows before putting peat on the fire.  The Black isle Brewery is good but there is one nearly into Cromarty on the left that does some good ales.

Jamie

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Good afternoon all. Well that's me finished, packed up and cleaned up for the day.

I've just finished my cuppa so I might even inspect the inside of my eyelids for a few minutes.

Back later.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Back for another check in, after catching up with the posts.  I am simultaneously gutted and delighted at the news which we're sharing today.  Dave and Mal, both with different news on the same illness - my best wishes got both for different reasons, and it just goes to show how ERs touch our daily lives.  My feelings are no less genuine for my cyber friends than they would be for my flesh and blood friends, and I think that this says rather a lot about this little part of the RMWeb community.

I had seen that Geoff had shot off for a while as the motorhome got a wash earlier in the week, and disappeared a couple of days ago.  I hope that it is temporary, and that we haven't driven him away by giving him a controller to operate Lancaster Green Ayre.

Lily had to go back to the vet's as she started limping last night, and we booked her in.  She was really pathetic hobbling around, but this morning she was a lot more chipper, but the vet (a different one) asked me to walk her up and down the pavement, and agreed that she was still not 100%, and after an examination, said that the inflammation had not fully subsided, and that a further course of antibioitics and anti inflammatories was needed.

Then an unexpected trip to town courtesey of the rotten Stagecoach service, as I had to get a float from the bank, as apparently we're standing at the local Car Boot on the A6 on Sunday.

Back later/tomorrow.

Morning all from a slightly overcast village. I was going to write my normal spiel of inconsequential drivel about what I was going to do today but then read Dave's post above. I am struggling for the right words with moist eyes for the second time this week. Dave I love the way that you are supporting Is and following her wishes for normality, but dread to think how you feel inside whilst still trying to keep strong for Is. All I can say is that the ER community will be here for you and that I know that you have your church community as well though I'm sure that your faith will be sorely tested over the coming years. My thoughts and prayers are with you both.

Jamie

....thanks for your kind words Jamie. I had felt that I was handling the pressure well....pacing myself with monthly days away during my rest days, to keep Is's spirits up. However, a forthcoming roster change not only removed my next days off but also meant that I would be working 60 hrs for nothing, as I've covered my monthly hours with the usual lines of work. I was incensed and got stuck into the roster organiser. At this point I knew that I had to take a few days off to 'come to terms' and try and get some of this back into perspective....I wasn't even aware that I was that close to the edge. The roster has since been changed again, to ensure that I (and especially Is) don't lose out.

Dave

Hi all,

I have completed the collecting of postings re-Jock. 

I managed to (I think) gather the various postings on 3 pages and organise them near enough into 'time' order.  I don't think I missed anybody's contribution or name but apologise if I have.  There was a minor hiccup this morning as I attempted a reshuffle of some and my 'cutting and pasting' went awry, but I think in general I have achieved some semblance of a finished article.  Printed up on nice paper it will be winging it's way to Joanne soon.  I included real names and RM Web pseudonyms where they were known.

Regards

Lightengine

• Like 3

Kent has a few orchards, and people there like to think they can brew cider. The name Bob Luck comes to mind. In one pub there was a product called Liquid Dynamite, which was served in very small measures. I stuck to bitter.

My first summer job was apple picking on a farm near Laddingford. We did a bit of cider stripping towards the end of the summer.

Having said that I don't like any cider I've ever tried, and far prefer bitter - maybe using the hops grown in the area. The tang on the air when they were harvesting the hops could be smelled for miles and is very distinctive.

• Like 9

My first summer job was apple picking on a farm near Laddingford. We did a bit of cider stripping towards the end of the summer.

Having said that I don't like any cider I've ever tried, and far prefer bitter - maybe using the hops grown in the area. The tang on the air when they were harvesting the hops could be smelled for miles and is very distinctive.

You've gotta try Brown Brothers Toffee Apple cider.  It sounds a bit weird but takes you back to the fair and your youth.

....thanks for your kind words Jamie. I had felt that I was handling the pressure well....pacing myself with monthly days away during my rest days, to keep Is's spirits up. However, a forthcoming roster change not only removed my next days off but also meant that I would be working 60 hrs for nothing, as I've covered my monthly hours with the usual lines of work. I was incensed and got stuck into the roster organiser. At this point I knew that I had to take a few days off to 'come to terms' and try and get some of this back into perspective....I wasn't even aware that I was that close to the edge. The roster has since been changed again, to ensure that I (and especially Is) don't lose out.

Dave

I have found (from experience) that, if you go and explain what the situation is, MOST people are very, very understanding, and willing to accommodate short-notice changes and days off when needed - the ones they usually won't do it for are those who have "worked it" in the past

• RMweb Premium

Hi all,

I have completed the collecting of postings re-Jock. 

Thanks for going such great lengths, which I'm sure will echo everyone's thoughts on here!

Speaking of Jock, I was trying to send a donation as well, but my card was refused for no clear reason. I'll see to trying again, or with a different card.

Now on my break for tonight, then a couple more miles on Line 12. Tomorrow should be jolly fun as I've got one half on a Line 16E exhibition extra.

Later...

I have found (from experience) that, if you go and explain what the situation is, MOST people are very, very understanding, and willing to accommodate short-notice changes and days off when needed - the ones they usually won't do it for are those who have "worked it" in the past

....my trips away with Is don't need cooperation from anyone as they are my own rest days S. The roster change had been devised to suit several of those on it but without considering one or two others.....therefore it couldn't be adopted.

Dave

Good evening all. I just thought I would check in between the end of work and the start of my unofficial second job of ferrying Sarah around her ever expanding Avon round.

I am delighted to read Mal's news. Congratulations good sir. I hope you find a suitable way to celebrate.

My thoughts go to Dave and Is. Let us all hope that the results provide better news. Jock taught us to keep fighting and never give up. I am also glad you managed to get the roster sorted. I sympathise about you being near to the edge. I may not, thankfully, be facing what you and others are battling right now, but I know what it is like to be so close to the edge. Work pressures and family pressures built up so much that I was very much like a coiled spring last weekend. I know that people did cop the fallout. The pressures have not really gone away and I know that I have to talk things through in order to keep control of things.

On other matters it has been great to read about different people's experiences in Scotland. During our stay there six years ago we did take in the Ben Nevis distillery tour and the one at Tomatin near Inverness. We also visited the Black Isle Brewery. Both distilleries gave me a taste for whisky, a taste I never had before. I am also quite fond of Black Isle's "Yellowhammer" ale although it is difficult to get hold of here in Derby. For an alternative day out I would recommend the Highland Wildlife Park near Aviemore. We spent a very enjoyable day there.

Hope you all have a great weekend.

• RMweb Gold

We had one of them once at a place where I worked - his favourite trick was to ask for time off to attend a family funeral but the rate at which they were dropping caused the Roster Clerk to get suspicious so he was told to specify in writing whose funeral it was.  He explained his second deceased grandmother reasonably well but when he applied for a day off to go to the funeral of the third one he was well and truly caught out, seems he didn't keep a list of whose 'funerals' he'd 'attended'.

....it was easier to stand against Laurence because it wasn't for me. Also, the thought of having to regret not getting Is to see these friends when she has known them for so long, isn't one that I want to shoulder. My one sustaining thread through all of this illness negativity is that in the 16 years that we've had together I've always taken every opportunity to take her out for the day, on holiday, or even just out for a meal.

That doesn't leave much space for regret

Dave

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71

• RMweb Gold

....it was easier to stand against Laurence because it wasn't for me. Also, the thought of having to regret not getting Is to see these friends when she has known them for so long, isn't one that I want to shoulder. My one sustaining thread through all of this illness negativity is that I've always taken every opportunity to take her out for the day, on holiday, or even just out for a meal.

That doesn't leave much space for regret

Dave

You have done, are doing and I am sure you will continue doing what is the right thing to do. Edited by Tony_S

• RMweb Gold

Well although The Boss is not well I haven't had to do anything more than usual because "It's only a cold, not man flu!"

In other news I've had to use model tokens to buy a new dishwasher. This has made me rather sad.  :(

You've gotta try Brown Brothers Toffee Apple cider.  It sounds a bit weird but takes you back to the fair and your youth.

post-19606-0-62660400-1462562596.png

Incidentally it is on tap in the bar at St Pancras International.

Edited by lightengine
  • Like 2

I passed all the Jock comments on to Emma his granddaughter.  She has read them all and messaged me as below.

thank each and every member for their kind words and the monies paid into the relay fund, I can't express our thanks enough for this the donations! In such a sad and hard time in our life's we all have been uplifted by RM support, he would be so very proud of each and everyone one of you his friends,,, the kind hearted man that you all talk about was defiantly one in a million and he will no dought be the brightest star in the sky

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

In other news I've had to use model tokens to buy a new dishwasher. This has made me rather sad.  :(

A couple of APT-Es or washing up? No contest. Aditi was unwell when our dishwasher failed. She was happy that I chose one that was in stock and available for next day delivery.

• Like 11

Well, POETS didn't happen..

The cause of POETS not happening was down to a contractor who, in changing power systems at out server farm, pulled the wrong plug and crashed the server farm.

On the final submission day prior to exams.

At about half an hour before electronic submission deadline.

Bunnies where not happy as failover didn't work.

Cue chasing round like blue ar$ed fly to try to limit the damage 

• RMweb Gold

Well, POETS didn't happen..

The cause of POETS not happening was down to a contractor who, in changing power systems at out server farm, pulled the wrong plug and crashed the server farm.

On the final submission day prior to exams.

At about half an hour before electronic submission deadline.

Bunnies where not happy as failover didn't work.

Cue chasing round like blue ar$ed fly to try to limit the damage 

I hope you can take him to the financial cleaners. You pay for a service, not a lottery.