The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Strange how so often good can come of tragedy.

The little boy who died of Addison's Disease (GPs in court at present) brought awareness of the condition (which is rare) to the fore.

The brother of SWMBO's late husband has contracted it following survival of throat cancer.

The test took about three hours to produce the diagnosis.

Without that poor little boy would the medics have been so aware? Who knows.

Treatment is available involving daily pills and various emergency measures.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a bright and sunny village.   Minnie cat is complaining that I'm on the computer rather than giving her her breakfast so keep nuzzling my left arm.  I'm not sure what the day will bring as the source of orders is still asleep however I may well be going to buy a trailer for taking stuff to France and then moving stuff when we are over there. Apparently everyone in France has to have a trailer, according to our neighbour across the road there.  He has 4. However if you have the ability to collect cubic metres of wood for the stove it helps as well s taking stuff to the tip. 

Apart from that I may well be doing some modelling at some point.

Hope that everyone survives their visits to Bracknell and other architectural gems.  I'll do my best to avoid it.

Jamie

• Like 15

The dzud has killed more than one million animals so far this year.

Ennui over driving tests may do me in :triniti:

I just realized that I don’t even know where my local tip is over here.  Whereas in the UK I was even aware of the best time of the day of the best day of the week to go.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

Morning, blue sky not a cloud in sight, a lazy day planned well in my mind that is. We will have to see if that transpires.

Enjoy your day folks

• Like 9

Morning all. I hope today finds you well. I only skimmed through yesterday's postings so I will have to send the generic greetings and good wishes. It is great to see another set of stunning pictures from Dave (TG) and those from PH are equally good. What a very attractive world we live in.

On the subject of driving tests, I passed first time back in 1997. If I recall correctly I passed in a Ford Fiesta having started to learn in a diesel powered metro. My first car was an old Austin Metro, purchased from an old lady on our street. It served me well for a couple of years, even getting me to Norfolk and back for a holiday with my then girlfriend. That was replaced by a Rover Metro which, having a 1.4 engine, went like sh!t off the shovel. It was replaced by the first of three successive Vauxhall Corsas of various shapes. My current one has another year before it is paid for, then it may get replaced. I don't like the new Corsa shape so I may have something different.

I hope your weekend is a good one. Ours is very busy. Today Sarah is standing a table top sale in aide of the local playgroup. I will load the car up shortly before helping her set up. Then it is off to Pride Park for the Play off game against Hull. Tomorrow we are at the craft fair at the local Cats Protection centre. I am considering taking along my Metcalfe platform kit to build during quiet times, although that depends on the weather.

Whatever you are doing have a good one.

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Rather dull start here and variable amounts of cloud and sunny spells forecast.

G#####ing has been mentioned as part of yesterday was spent making various purchases for our little plot of mud and weeds. As you may have guessed my back is already complaining at the thought of it.

Apart from that nothing else planned for today apart from going to the 18th birthday party of the son of friends. It's a fancy dress party which I don't really like but as I'm used to looking idiotic will do my best to please. What makes things worse is that next month Gemma had already decided she also wants the same for her birthday. I will of course do anything for my grandchildren so once again I will put my party hat on.

Have a good one,

Bob.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.

Family christening today so awaiting the arrival of my sister from her home in Rutland.

Sunny with broken cloud.

I missed the chance to take my T licence, but did charge across part of the rang in Hohne in a Challenger 1 a delight to drive..

Have a nice day.

Baz

• Like 14

Reading all these reports of driving test made me realise how lucky I was.

I applied for my Bike Test at the same time as my Licence and had the test just TWO WEEKS after turning16, and the same for the Car Test at 17, but had to wait a massive 3 weeks or so for that one. I worked as an Apprentice Mechanic for Wadhams Garage in Waterlooville, Hampshire and so had FREE Driving lessons, 1 a day. The Test car was an Austin / Morris 1100, but the Bike was a 250 Norton Twin 4 Stroke that was quite rapid.

Also when I got home from passing the Car Test, my dear old Dad said; well done Son, that's it now, I said NO, just one more Test to do, he said What's that, I said; a Pilots Licence. I did have a couple of Flying Lessons at Goodwood, but it was Two and a Half Grand for the full course (1967/8 ish) and I couldn't afford it. I wish I had now, I could have nipped over to Spain this weekend for the Grand Prix. hahhah.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 12

Bright and sunny morning here. 'Er indoors has gone to pick up grandkids for the day.

Sorry Gordon, no nasturtiums (nasturtia?) were being thrown, the said taverna is situate at Crosspool, I just forgot to put it in the original post.

Little bit of F1 today I hope.

Best to all sick, injured, recovering and issing in action.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Sunny day beckons.

A quick maintenance job at wife's work.

A trip to the model shop for some supplies.

FORE! With a visit to Rossendale GC, as our course is full with the local association championship.

Then modelling with the stuff from the shop.

Tomorrow sees me as team manager/minibus driver for wife's work at a 5-a-side football competition in Sheffield. There was a possibility that I would have a player-manager role, but I've secured the services of one of my test pass lads who does part-time work at wife's place, so hopefully I won't have to show myself up.....

Should be a good day out.

Have a good weekend folks.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Out later on to attend the club stall in the town centre, will be wearing a thick jumper.

My mum got her license before they started the driving test. On reflection. I'm not sure she would ever have passed a test.

Driving tests were introduced in 1935, before that anyone could have a full licence for the asking. When I lived at Burnham-on-Crouch there were a lot of elderly residents who had never taken a driving test, when they sometimes ended up before the local magistrates with a motoring offence they were often banned until they took a test which few if any passed. Driving tests were suspended during the war but most licences were issued by the forces after some sort of test.

You had to watch those early VW transmissions. The Beetle gearbox looked just like the Transporter gearbox, so some people tried to put a Transporter gearbox in a Beetle. Unfortunately, they ended up with one forward gear and four reverse gears.

To increase the ground clearance and reduce the ratio a bit, the original transporter had a stub gear at the wheel end of the axle :)

The differential could be turned upside down in Volkswagen gearboxes and you had to be careful to put it in the right way up.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Heuston Station, awaiting our train to Cork at 11. I'd somehow imagined Dublin to be calmer than I found it is, at least in the centre! Good to see the Green Line extension on Luas is progressing, as I found the number of buses in circulation exceptionally high.

And I was particularly pleased to note you can eat rather well here :yes: .

Will try to check in later after hopefully making it through left hand traffic!

• Like 13

I don't think I have ever been to Sheffield.

I'm not sure if that is your loss or your gain Tony.

The sun has re-appeared today in sunny Teignmouth, sitting outside in the sun with a drink beckons.

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Tony I have been to Sheffield but when laddo was doing his MA there I rather stupidly went by car; simple advice if you want to go to Sheffield - go by train, it's much less wearing on the nerves (however the more interesting main station of the two is long closed alas).

The sunshine yesterday led to an outing for the lawn mower - doing the lawn and some of the jungle.  The latter would probably have better been done with something far more serious than a mower.

More sunshine and I'm told the garden centre might be on the agenda - the management has problems with slow/poor germination of the veg plants this year although the garlic is still doing well.  Mind you it could be the pollution - big headline in yesterday's paper about some incomer who has decided to move away because it is bad for his chest.  If the twit had done his research a bit more carefully in the first place he might have realised that the way the 'heavy' air sits in the valley here would make it a major pollution trap - nothing new about that.  In more exciting news the big house on the opposite hillside is reputedly going to be grabbed by the Russian Govt as the bloke who bought it illegally took money out of a privatised bank he was running in Russia.  So presumably it will begin a merry-go-round of passing from one crooked Russian to another?

Have a good day one and all

• Like 11