The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Churchill, presumably a Brexit icon, said something about the best argument against democracy being a 5 minute conversation with the average voter.

QED.

Churchill actually spoke in favour of a united Europe in 1946, was Honorary President of the conference which led to the Council of Europe and suggested a European Court of Human Rights ten tears before it was set up.

I'm now sitting on a small collection of £18.75 notes ;)

“....of course this does not mean that the Pound in your pocket will get any smaller.....”

I’ve been asked to join a “51st State of the Union”, committee  headed by Mr. Trump. :O  :drag:

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

• RMweb Premium

The first thing that SWMBO asked me this morning was, "will this affect your early retirement?"

I replied, "I'll still be able to retire, as I don't rely on the small pension from British Steel".

Luckily that's just a top up that I'll need until I'm 66, my main pension is final salary based, so hopefully it won't be that bad

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

I reckon the £ will be down by c15-20% by the end of the day and unfortunately Harold Wilson was wrong and it is the £s in our pockets.  I'm quite sure the crooks who run our local petrol station will already be jacking up their prices although for once they might have a good reason but I do wonder now about Hornby trying to raise £8million in this situation.  Fortunately I do happen to have a Scottish £10 note in my wallet and that will definitely be worth hanging on to

Mind you I see the sun is being very fashionable and it's out too.  Not sure what we'll be doing today, Mrs Stationmaster returned from the count at about 0600ish and said it was a very interesting process - one to chalk up I suppose as not all that many folk get to attend such things.  She's now abed and presumably will awake at some time.

Anyway have a  good day everybody and hoping your personal worries about all this will not turn out to be as bad as some of us fear.  Wonder if I ought to get the car serviced while consumables such as oil filters etc can still be imported at an affordable price?

Edited by The Stationmaster

Mornin' all,

Blue sky sunny start in The Moorlands. No constitutional today.

This is the view for Is of the garden through the conservatory. She has managed some granola and melon pieces with grapes, before a cup of freshly percolated coffee for breakfast. The first care staff are due in the next hour....clean bedding & nightie ready for them to put her into. I have a couple of errands to ensure that her medical supplies are sufficient.....

post-7795-0-85361900-1466751520.jpg

Feathered ones provided for

Enjoy what you do

Dave

Edited by Torr Giffard LSWR 1951-71
  • Like 7

Darn right!

Morning all, up earlyish for earlyish gp appointment - wish I hadn't stayed up til 2am now! Yawn...

Mal

I have some “Keep Calm and Carry On” T-shirts I can send over, Mal.

Similarly, and in the spirit of competition, anyone want to invest in a new car “numberplate” company?

Best, Pete.

• Like 2

....we've got her relatively settled now Don....she has flourished with the one to one care, familiar surroundings & good food. We can't cure the condition but can make sure that it is the only thing dragging her down.

Thank you all for your continued support

Dave

• Like 4

Morning all. So far this morning financially the UK economy has lost more than 40 years worth of net EU contributions. £370bn at last count. (about 2000 weeks of £180mil net)

My pension is in the toilet and it looks like on this morning's numbers I'm going to have to work an extra 3 years AND add another 3.5% contribution off my salary just to get a monthly living allowance the same as it was back in Feb. That is of course if I still have a job in 6 months. Employer just completed a massive 2 year exercise to merge all of the multiple European offices and divisions into a single EMEA structure. My department is mostly based in Belgium. Highly likely we will get offshored very quickly. Especially if the £ is worthless and our financial results are targeted against the $. <b*gger>

Be prepared for major price jumps in a lot of things. Petrol is traded in US$ so add 9% to your wholesale cost. By the time new oil reaches the pumps, and the knock on retail price effect and you will be looking at around 20p/litre increase. roughly 45% of our food has to be imported. So expect at least a 4-5% increase in your weekly/monthly shopping bill.

Be careful what you wish for.

• RMweb Premium

Cameron resigns.

Not quite yet, Ian.

On the other hand the UK carries on: “Testicle removal surgeon struck off”. Headline on BBC site.

Best, Pete.

Did he remove his own? :jester:

The sun is shining, the heating oil tank has just been filled (31.6p/L), the birds are singing. So why do I feel so depressed - because I've just heard Nigel Farage on the radio.

He's now redundant.

Never mind, George (Anglicised version) is going to flat-line my State Retirement Pension...

...following on from the flat-lining of the extra personal allowance...

What did they do with my 45 years of NIC ?  Why is my SRP regarded as a 'benefit' ?

Interesting that the people that like the result  are not replying, probably for the best at first.

Can I just reiterate that I’m totally neutral on the subject, it is what it is.

I think Cameron is right to remain until October so that some semblance of order and continuity in the Government exists. Some things being complained about  were pre-existing prior to any vote.

Best, Pete.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

As I had plenty of time on a slow and delayed Coulsdon Town to LBG se3rvice I pre ordered my dollars on line and have confirmation of rate at $1.41873.

Lets see if they stand by it when I collect on Monday. if it does go back up above that then I will get the higher rate.

But more importantly it does concern me whats happened for many reasons. Wont say anymore otherwise we will be getting into political arguments but with some of the likes posted looks like many on ER have similar concerns.