The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Well, you get full marks for trying hard to prove that added chemicals are not to blame for headaches.

Maybe you have shares in companies who are trying to sell poison such as nitrates?

However, I will hope that others will try  organic beer/spirits; and not just follow the bar room bore/ daily mail story that organic must be rubbish.

Not sure what the Daily Mail had to say about it (it's banned in Idaho) but an awful lot of scientists seem to be participating in yet another enormous conspiracy to minimize the benefits of organic foods. Shame on them!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organic_food

(Of course you can't believe everything on Wikipedia, but this article does provide a lot of references.)

Edited by AndyID

• RMweb Gold

Well, you get full marks for trying hard to prove that added chemicals are not to blame for headaches.

Maybe you have shares in companies who are trying to sell poison such as nitrates?

However, I will hope that others will try  organic beer/spirits; and not just follow the bar room bore/ daily mail story that organic must be rubbish.

Where do I try to prove that added chemicals are not to blame for headaches?

Istr, writing 'processed cr*p,' which if only by inference would lead most intelligent people to believe I know of, and am not a great fan of chemical additives to either food or drink.

I object to your inference that I am a shareholder of an unethical chemical company.

That is downright rude and quite frankly quite insulting.

However, I will hope that others will try organic beer/spirits; and not just follow the bar room bore/ daily mail story that organic must be rubbish.

I would disagree with HH also as I have read previously that nitrites in wine are responsible. Edited by lightengine

• RMweb Premium

End of period 2. Hoping that a rejuvenated Blackburn Hawks can increase their 5-1 lead against Billingham Stars.

Then it's home to watch the F1 quali as long as Mrs NB has remembered to record it for me.... I forgot to set it before leaving for the hockey.

Catch up later

Cheers

Mick

• RMweb Gold

Gents, shall we keep the insults to private messages please? I've had my share of strife on the interwebby thingie, so please cease and desist!

TIA! :friends:

I'm delighted to do so.

But my second Sir Jasper Dalrymple will be so disappointed!

Having just cleaned the pistols on my behalf, I will no longer be publicly challenging Jonny to a duel once he's sobered up.

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Happy anniversaries to Ian and Sherry and Mr. & Mrs. W. Its getting a bit tidier around the shed now, I must now resist the temptation to fill it up again. Mystery is how can the contents of a two square metre shed fill a garage 2.5 X 5 metres? In fact the garage was half full and there's some space left. I now have enough scraps of wood and plywood to make some shelves together with a screw cabinet and some wall mounted storage bins to go in there when the work is complete. I'm still finding unopened packs of nails and screws, enough almost to start my own ironmongers.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Just watched F1 qualy, and at the end saw a spectator with El Donko, Donk's Mexican cousin!  They get around.  There's a Hop-tu-naa (Halloween Manx stylee) one here currently.

Congrats to Jamie, Sherry and Ian, not necessarily in that order, all level in fact.

In other news (shh....trains) took delivery of a DJH Austerity today (eventually....delivery very poor, we'd be mortified) and it is 'well proper'.  Those who reckoned it isn't much of an improvement over the Dapol/Hornby version must be blind.  Lovely model, really captures the feel of the original (I have had a fair bit of involvement over the years - see Tom Heavysides 'Steam in the Coalfields' for a young NHN featured in a couple of photos at Seaham) and some nice detail.  I haven't seen anyone mention the cut-out in the frames showing the mud-hole door on the side of the firebox, but it's there.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

E'ning all. Nice Irish smoked salmon and horseradish tart had for dinner, which was just the right thing after my shift. Driving in autumnal conditions can be a unique experience, if you will!

But, lest I forget, may I just second…

Birthday greetings to Jamie and anniversary greetings to Sherry and Ian and to Mr & Mrs W

Also, I have a bit of practical tram driving instruction for you!

20161029-_dsc0630i4s6y.jpg

Bill and Keith may be familiar with this location from their Leipzig visit! This is at the lower end of Georgiring where Lines 10, 11 and 16 turn left for Central Station, and Line 8 (and Line 1 at present due to a temporary diversion caused by engineering work) turns right into Wintergartenstraße.

There are three important details to keep in mind here. First, for trams on the Georgiring/Wintergartenstraße route in either direction, signal acknowledgment (confirmed by the "A" chamber) is, in fact, mandatory as the signalling control unit will not establish a Clear aspect for this route unless acknowledgment has been established. For this reason, key request switch pads are provided as a backup.

Second, the clearing phase for road traffic coming down Georgiring is extremely short, and given the exasperating propensity of what seems like an increasing number of motorists jumping red, near misses and occasional non-misses do occur in this location.

Third, when driving a Line 10, 11 or 16 service and bound for Central Station, you should always make sure to keep an eye on Wintergartenstraße while approaching. If there is, in fact, a tram waiting for the route onto Georgiring, successful signal acknowledgment means the Clear Left signal phase for downbound trams will be cut short, so in order to avoid hairy situations, it is strongly recommended to stop even while your signal is still clear.

See ya ramorra, lads an' lasses…

Update: Salter digi scales fixed. Panasonic CD changer not looking so good, but I have downloaded a service manual.....

Since the soldering iron was still hot, I thought I'd do a bit more assembly of that GNR(I) S class 4-4-0 which I hadn't touched since the start of the year......

attachicon.gifIMG_20161029_215831_1477774754537.jpg

The upper frames are now finally in place and in the correct position, which means we can try the smokebox and boiler assembly in there and see how it looks:

attachicon.gifIMG_20161029_215755_1477774781859.jpg

Somebody living dangerously!

Visited the Nottingham Woodthorpe M R C's show and picked up a few ideas and temptations

Night all

• Like 3

Somebody living dangerously!...

So dangerously, in fact, that I stuck the cab front overlay on, and had another look:

post-6879-0-91628000-1477776241_thumb.jpg

Obviously we're not quite there yet; the splasher tops need forming, and there's still a chassis in 21mm gauge to be built (with inside motion), but Slieve Gullion is starting to look a bit more like the crack engine of the Belfast-Dublin Enterprise ....

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Been out for an Italian meal for tea/supper... excellent!

NHN - it should be really grotty - my memories of West Hartlepool based WDs was... grot! If you need another one I might just be aware of where there is a completed, clean black BR one in OO....

Sleep well all - I need to sleep in preparation for day 2 of the Leeds Model Railway Show!

Baz

• Like 9

The weather never really improved today, so I didn't get outside much. Mrs G and I went shopping in the early evening, and I managed to restock my wine supplies with a good special offer in Asda, then one of my favourite New Zealand wines on offer in Morrisons.

Going shopping meant that we recorded Strictly this evening, then watched it and fast forwarded through some of the bits, especially anything involving Bruno Tonioli. We both dislike his stupid over animated comments.

• Like 11

... just as well the clocks go back tonight but don't get me started on that which I consider as unneccessary and irrelevant in todays society

I think people living further north and west in the UK might beg to differ. I don't think having the sun rise at 9AM BST in winter would be much fun. (Or are you commenting on the fact that BST still exists, separate from GMT?)

• RMweb Gold

Hmm, clocks to change tonight so I can have a later night if I feel like it (I loved the experimental year when they didn't).  Somewhat outdated idea really I think but there you are - and it doesn't create any extra daylight just starts and ends it at a different time.

Anyway on that bright note G'night all.

A quick drop in before bed to wish Ian and Sherry a happy anniversary. I also hope Jamie has had an enjoyable birthday. Thanks to those who have posted advice about my health issues. I know I need to make an effort to eat, drink and sleep better. At the age of 41 I cannot take the liberties I have in the past. The situation cannot be helped by work stress and a lack of exercise. My five a side footballing days seem to be lost to an Achilles injury too.

Today has been enjoyable, helped by Derby actually scoring some goals and winning a game. Sarah and I found some valuable time in the evening for our usual Saturday meal together. She is tired having been woken by Amber for a number of consecutive nights. I am hoping that, once Amber returns to school next week, she will find a bit of time to rest and recharge.

Night all - make the most of the "extra hour".

• RMweb Premium

A quiet evening, one in which we opened a bottle of red, which was consumed as we watched a DVD 'cause there was nowt worth watching on TV.

Goodnight all.

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Congrats to Jamie, Ian and Sherry and Mr and Mrs Brian.

A bit of a nail-biter as Billingham puled back in the last period from 5-1 to 5-4 with 3 minutes to go. At 2 minutes, they took off their netminder for an extra outfield player to press home their advantage. The only problem is that it leaves them open for an empty net goal (ENG) and sure enough, NB Junior's (who was with me tonight) favourite player fired one in from 30metres. Billingham tried in again to no avail and yet another ENG for a final result of 7-4. Well done lads.

Hopefully tomorrow's away match - a repeat of last Sunday's fixture will be a bit more honourable than 6-0.

A bit of driving tomorrow and a couple of leisure plans for the afternoon that depend on the weather.

Have a good Sunday folks.

Cheers,

Mick

So dangerously, in fact, that I stuck the cab front overlay on, and had another look:

attachicon.gifIMG_20161029_222121_1477776098068.jpg

Obviously we're not quite there yet; the splasher tops need forming, and there's still a chassis in 21mm gauge to be built (with inside motion), but Slieve Gullion is starting to look a bit more like the crack engine of the Belfast-Dublin Enterprise ....

So you do actually build stuff and not just buy Portescaps........................

:jester:

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 3