The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

I bet you that if the referendum was done now  the outcome would be quite different and hence why it may well be good to have a second  review once the outcome may be more known before pressing that big red button. It might turn out to be a reconfirmation of the initial vote once we all know more.

of that I have little doubt. However, the concept of having referenda 'until we get it right' is totally un-democratic! You've been to Switzerland!?

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Like 1

...., the concept of having referenda 'until we get it right' is totally un-democratic!

The EU do have form for this. Just ask the Irish and the Danes.

Until relatively recently, there wasn't even a proper mechanism for allowing disaffected Member States to leave, i.e. joining was effectively a one-way street, a sort of political Royston Vasey: "You'll Never Leave".

The EU do have form for this. Just ask the Irish and the Danes.

Until relatively recently, there wasn't even a proper mechanism for allowing disaffected Member States to leave, i.e. joining was effectively a one-way street, a sort of political Royston Vasey: "You'll Never Leave".

Agreed ! Wasn't the continuous referendum T Benn's idea for closing that large dormitory in SW1 ?

Still, I expect that the happiest bloke in the land tonight is someone called Nigel ..........

Nighty, night children everywhere  :senile:

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Early commute today for a Skype call to the antipodean office (in Perth WA, so only 8 hour time difference)

Much customer support done and more cutting up of office furniture to fit the new - errr - office. Taking a circular saw to a new item of furniture is a bit like taking a knife to a brand new model. Scary! Measure twice/cut once was definitely the maxim.

Two new chairs have arrived for our little room upstairs. One has been assembled by Chris and the other will take shape tomorrow. One word that springs to mind when sitting in it, is "Engage" and a little forward finger point/wave in a Captain Jean-Luc Picard manner.

Another commute tomorrow, more customer supporting and furniture wrangling.

Have a good Friday folks.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 15

Good evening all!

Regardless of whatever brexit may be, the voting public, whether informed or misinformed, came out in favour of leaving the EU. End of story. This was a democratic decision, as was the one to join it all those years back. Times change.

Any opposition (legal or otherwise) to this tends towards dictatorship and / or anarchy and possibly even goes against whatever constitution this country has.

It was a referendum, not an election.  The proper body to make the decision is parliament, effectively the House of Commons.  If a decision is made by parliament to invoke Article 50, then, yes, we leave.  There is no recourse to the judiciary. 

However, on Radio 4 this evening, some Ukip woman appeared to argue that, because the judiciary was attempting to reverse the decision of the people, they should all be sacked.  Sickened, I turned off the radio.

Bill

Just like if you do a very quick double click on, for example; the 'Agree' button (count the number of 'Agree then the number of names against them ;) ). 

So that's how you did it!

Interesting article in the Guardian this morning about a shortage of workers to do the hard graft of delivering food from farm to processing, to shop, to house.  Not unsurprisingly the EU workers are leaving and the British unemployed are disinclined to get off their arses in the depth of winter.   

A personal opinion.  Post - Brexit, who will pick soft fruit and vegetables for a minimum wage?  Not the British.  Methinks a lot of farms will only produce livestock and arable.  Plenty of bread and cheese, and not much else.

Bill

Good evening all!

Regardless of whatever brexit may be, the voting public, whether informed or misinformed, came out in favour of leaving the EU. End of story. This was a democratic decision, as was the one to join it all those years back. Times change.

Any opposition (legal or otherwise) to this tends towards dictatorship and / or anarchy and possibly even goes against whatever constitution this country has.

Agreed that it was democratic.

But it was also only a referendum and not binding.

If I come in your shop and buy something and get home and discover that you told me blatant lies about the product I am going to revisit your shop for a second referendum.

Nigel Farage didn't seem to mind Europe all the years he has been earning pay as Euro MP. If that isn't ever so slightly hypocritical then Bob isn't my aunts husband!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Our bins are supposed to be out early and can be out overnight. However, we have a small green bin for "compostables" which is food waste and others. This has a latch on it to keep the smarter scavengers out. But the latch has to be released so that the bin can be dumped into the mechanized garbage truck. So someone has to be up and out before the garbage men. Fortunately they start collecting in our area after 8:00 and usually don't do us until 10:00 or later.

• Like 3

<SARCASM MODE ON>

So what's insane about the second amendment?

It simply means you can accumulate an entire arsenal of weapons and ammunition just in case WW3 start on your front lawn!!! :jester:  :O  :triniti:

For most of the US population the most likely problem on your front lawn is a drunk Billy-Bob mistaking your garden gnome for the enemy and opening fire :butcher:, no danger really as he'll either shoot himself in the foot or arse or maim his armed drinking buddies!

Yes, but according to the NRA, guns don't kill people. Tell that to the young mother who was killed by her own 2 year old in our local Walmart. She stepped away from her shopping cart and the kid removed the hand gun from her handbag and shot her.

Good morning one and all

Grandad Bob, it is who you think it is.  I have been insufficiently oblique.  Drat.

We move on.  Yesterday I went for a blood test.  The results will enable Professor Oncologist to tell me next month whether or not I am well.  While I was waiting a small girl was making the most appalling noise.  What was upsetting her I know not but neither mum, who was also waiting for a blood test, nor dad, who wasn't, could restore tranquillity.  It was a lot more than grizzling aand far more fearsome than the kind of din which makes me murmur "another satisfied customer" if I hear it in the supermarket.  I longed for someone to invent a silencer.

Today there will be a modest fodder run.  I need inspiration for Sunday lunch and, now I come to think of it, sandwiches for tomorrow.  I will be at Wycrail during the day, complete with RMweb name badge in case the 11 year old avatar does not work again.  The photo, by the way, was cropped from one taken on the beach at Port Shepstone, South Africa, with the placid Indian Ocean in the background, the furthest south I have ever been.  In the evening, sort of on the way home, I will divert to Haddenham near Aylesbury where there is a ceilidh in the village hall.  For those who prefer not to dance there are songs from Jim Causley, supported by Jimmy Grayburn.  Such an interesting double bill is not to be missed.  Last time I was there melting moments were on sale, evoking memories of childhood when my mum used to make them and let me plonk the cherry on top!  Sentimental?  Moi?

Best wishes to the ailing, recovering, supporting, missing, lonely, grieving and depressed and to all travellers.  Today let us also think of those who have got themselves into another fine mess.

Chris

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Out before 6am as it's a strike day. On one of the new Thameslink trains. Unfortunately this one doesn't stop at Elephant and Castle so it's a longer walk from Blackfriars to the office.

I have just one item of rolling stock with me for this weekend. The Model Rail USA tank.I am not sure if they ever ran on the Brighton mainline but it will be running in on freights on Star Lane.

• Like 2

Morning All,

It is rather cloudy, and a chilly 1°C this morning.  We also have a light frost.

If I am correctly informed, the wording of the second ammendment is:

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Which clearly (to me at least) means that the state militias have a right to bear arms - it is not a right conferred on individuals!

However, I guess we are straying into politics a little - so I will stop now - and I have deleted the comment I made about Brexit.

I reckon it is about time for a coffee.  Have a good day everyone...

Edited by Robert

• RMweb Gold

My othe

Interesting article in the Guardian this morning about a shortage of workers to do the hard graft of delivering food from farm to processing, to shop, to house.  Not unsurprisingly the EU workers are leaving and the British unemployed are disinclined to get off their arses in the depth of winter.   

A personal opinion.  Post - Brexit, who will pick soft fruit and vegetables for a minimum wage?  Not the British.  Methinks a lot of farms will only produce livestock and arable.  Plenty of bread and cheese, and not much else.

Bill

My other half worked in a nursery on the coast when she left school. It was very hard long hours and shift work. She didn't do it for very long as being a secretary paid more and much more sociable hours.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all,

ET time was 03:00 as SWMBO woke early and bumbled off to the bathroom, to get some water for her pills, she has to take pills a couple of hours before her other pills, because the first set stops the second set (mostly but not entirely pain killers) eating away at her stomach. Normally she waits till I bring up her early morning cup of tea, but she's been cleaning the house like mad, and done too much, as our boiler failed and we'll have to get the repair men out.

I went down to the Model railway shed last night to look at the section of layout I'm currently working on. I found that last weeks plastering had not yet set solid, I guess it's too cold down there, so  I'll have to bring it into the house when I get back from the club tonight. Luckily we have two coal fires in the house which I'll be stoking away due to the above, though with one brick walls I'm fighting a losing battle..

Sat in a minor hold up on the way in this morning, I was at a fairly new round about they inserted into the main road between  new and old housing estates. I counted the poles, there are no less than 37 new poles holding up road signs, lights, arrow signs and lights for the arrow signs. don't they ever think of using poles for more than one purpose?  (and two have been hit already)...

I'm about to measure a 120Amp shunt today, at every 20A setting up to 120A, that should warm up the lab nicely....

Edited by TheQ

• RMweb Premium

Hey up!

Shopping to be undertaken. This will be interesting as her indoors is coming along so a small breakfast will be eaten.

I await the return of Dr Eldest Herbert from his lecturing when he will, no doubt, give us an update on constitutional matters in the UK. The outputs of this are for use elsewhere and not on ERs..that discussion is elsewhere on RMWeb.

Hopefully some of our missing ERs will return to let us know they are zOK.

Have a great day/evening.

Baz

• Like 15

Good evening all!

Technically its not opposition, it's a call for legal due process. The Prime Minister simply doesn't have the power to strip 60m+ people of their European citizenship rights without Parlimentry due process. Don't forget the referendum isn't legally binding in any way shape or form. It is advisory only. A "democratic decision" still has to operate within the bounds of law. If brexit is going to happen It has to be done properly. Imagine the PM just invoking article 50 only to find out part way down the road, or even post brexit that what they did wasn't actually legal and binding. The impact of having to reverse everything and go through all the hoops again would tie up parliment for years. Better to get it right the first time. If the judgement had gone the other way it would have rendered parliment and the House of Lords meaningless and the PM could invoke anything she liked without opposition.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Decided to try and buy our tickets to West Cowes this morning at Blackfriars. Had to spell COWES and explained  WEST COWES departing this evening but still took quite a while. H came up with tickets three times the price it should be. He showed me the screen and he had a 9am departure. I decided to give up and will try LBG later.

A pleasant walk through back streets to the office. There was a pancake bar just opening up but decided to resist the temptation!

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

It would seem that, constitutionally, there is no such post as deputy prime minister, for example!

I suspect that the prime minister is still, technically, The First Lord of the Treasury!

That's what is says on the letter box on the front door of No 10.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208

• RMweb Premium

Morning All

Managed to catch up with what has gone on since last evening, and posts all read and rated.

Tasks domestic/taxi in prospect again.  Hopefully taxi duty will, in future, be a bit easier around Lancaster, as the new bypass opened on Monday, and appears to be having the intended effect of keeping the HGVs from the M6 to Heysham and similar points out of the roads leading to the town centre.  Until now, they have gone down the A683, round a pretty horrible one way system, cross the Lune on Greyhound Bridge (see Jamie's posts on Green Ayre for more info on that bridge's original use), merge from two lanes to one, then proceed to the Heysham bypass.  New road crosses the Lune on a new bridge, then a dual carriageway to meet the Heysham bypass.  Should also make our comestibles runs to Morecambe a while lot easier.  Let's hope that the HGV drivers get the updated satnav info, or use a bit of common sense and follow the signs, and not the satnav.....

Back later.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 6