The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Just passing Lille, which indicates Dudders lucked in. No, my yesterday's ticket couldn't be refunded - it says so on the ticket - but today's cost me the usual amount, Muscadet was served as we left Paris, I've had lunch and we are on time. I should see Sherry later!

How information delay can make a fool of you : Alison's mother had texted her this morning to say sister Rachel was in hospital - suspected brain haemorrhage. Alison was distraught, although they aren't close. It turns out that Rachel had been discharged last evening, and was posting on Facebook later. So much for being at death's door. Attention-seeking or what?

Pete a lot of people in the UK have little idea of driving in snow. 2cm can gridlock roads down to drivers who are too afraid of it but go out in it panic stricken.

Baz

Baz, the only truism to do with driving in snow is that you only get as far as the guy in front of you. As my pal found out in his new Range Rover a few  years ago whilst taking the back roads from Bicknacre to his firm in Wickford.

One of the best cars for driving in both snow and mud was the Ford Model T - because of the big, tall and narrow wheels. When Henry decided it was still not good enough he built a six wheel version, complete with tracks that could be put on by the “owner” between the  wheels on the second and third axle - that was for real snow - you fitted purpose built skis alongside the two front wheels.

Apparently leaving the front wheels on was an early Ford “option”!

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 14

Morning all.

<snip>

Laddo will no doubt be returning from work after the rain has turned to snow so it will be interesting to see if it does.  No doubt there won't be any gritting as it would be a waste of time putting it down during heavy rain - not that those who moan about its absence will realise that.  However I do wonder about the likelihood of sbnow as the Daily wail is still forecasting snowmageddon and 'thundersnow' - makes you wonder where their child staff were educated.

There  ought to be no mystery to lightning and thunder in a snow shower. As I explained earlier, almost all rain in this country (summer and winter) begins its life as ice crystals in the cloud. These will merge to form snowflakes. In simplistic terms, the only determining factor in the snow/rain equation is temperature. Or more precisely, the height of the freezing level above the ground.  In general terms this approximates to about 3C per 1000ft, or 1C per 100m.

Therefore if your outside temperature is 3C, the freezing level will be 1000ft above you; and if you are at sea level and it is raining any nearby hills rising to 1000ft will have snow on the tops. Any snow falling below 1000ft will encounter a rising temperature and will melt slowly (to rain) as they fall.

However, the melting process requires latent heat, and the only medium which can provide this is the surrounding air. Each snowflake which melts into a raindrop cools the air by a tiny amount. If there is a ready supply of external heat (wind off a less cold sea, or large urban area for instance) this cooling will be balanced by that; but if the area is well inland the melting snow as it falls will cause the air temperature to drop. The heavier the snowfall, the greater amount of latent heat required and faster the temperatures will fall, effectively lowering the freezing level towards sea level.

As this happens the more snow reaches the ground un-melted, and rain appears to turn to snow.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Baz, the only truism to do with driving in snow is that you only get as far as the guy in front of you. As my pal found out in his new Range Rover a few  years ago whilst taking the back roads from Bicknacre to his firm in Wickford.

One of the best cars for driving in both snow and mud was the Ford Model T - because of the big, tall and narrow wheels. When Henry decided it was still not good enough he built a six wheel version, complete with tracks that could be put on by the “owner” between the  wheels on the second and third axle - that was for real snow - you fitted purpose built skis alongside the two front wheels.

Best, Pete.

Aditi's Dad learned to drive in a Model T Ford. Though snow wasn't a problem where he lived at that time. By the time I met him he had a Saab.
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Best, Pete.

Which is why My old Land Rover 110 with tall narrow all terrain tyres, will out perform  a modern Range Rover / any other modern 4X4 on their wide road tyres in snowy conditions even with all it's electrickery. (PS I slow down for corners and allow a big space for 1.8 tons of landrover to stop....)

(Oh I've got lImited slip diffs fitted as well)

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 14

Problem is that many drivers use their brakes when its inappropriate, I've often seen a car driving up a steepish slope and the brake lights come on, why? I

I am amazed at how often drivers touch the brake peddle for no obviously sensible reason. I have followed cars where the drivers have touched the brakes every time vehicles came the other way (on a main road).

PS Snow showers here but not hanging around for long. Temperature just above freezing but well below that with wind chill factor.

PPS Passed my driving test first time 51 years ago and it seems just like yesterday!

Edited by Killybegs
  • Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Slept like a log last night, well from 1 am when I went to bed until 6 am when my bladder required relief and then 8:30 am so I could say I overslept as I normally rise before 8. As jonny777 said people just do not know how to drive in snow and ice but the rules are simple, lowest revs BUT DO NOT TOUCH THE BRAKES and highest gear BUT DO NOT TOUCH THE BRAKES. Problem is that many drivers use their brakes when its inappropriate, I've often seen a car driving up a steepish slope and the brake lights come on, why? Its now 49 years today since I passed my driving test (on the second attempt) and in all that time I have kept a clean licence, not even a parking ticket. Mind you I have on occasion exceded the speed limit and once I was stopped by a traffic policeman and had to accept the rollocking. If the weather predictions are accurate I'd better get on out to do the shopping sooner rather than later so I'm off now.

Now there's a coincidence Phil except I passed my test  (1st time) 51 years ago on March 21st. It is somewhat of a miracle that I haven't been nicked for something in that time because I regret to say I have transgressed over the years.

I had to laugh a couple of years ago when a big headed neighbour who was always bragging about his wealth went out and bought a new BMW 4x4 after a little bit of snow and said he'd never get stuck again. He couldn't even get up the little slope across the pavement into his drive! Seemed to think (like so many others) that revving like mad and spinning the wheels was the way to go about it.

Edited by grandadbob

• RMweb Premium

I apologise in advance to the good burghers of Clitheroe but I cannot take that name seriously. It must be because of the Clitheroe Kid. It just doesnt sound like a name for a town. There are others.

Clitheroe shares its misfortune with Scunthorpe and Penistone, and surely others, and requires an over-ride code to be included in some profanity filters ;)

Jimmy Clitheroe was an embuggerance on the wireless in my youth when I was no allowed to listen to Alan Freeman's Pick of the Pops but had to endure the Billy Cotton Band Show ("Wakey Waaaaaake!!!") followed by The Clitheroe Kid.  I may never fully recover.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

A few decades back a colleague, Peter, was driving his new Renault Clio along a narrow country lane, in icy conditions. Seeing a car coming the other way, he braked gently to a stand. The other guy didn't, but locked up, skidded and smote Peter's car a nasty blow. An incensed Peter got out of his bent car, slipped on the ice, fell over and broke his arm........

• RMweb Gold

Clitheroe is quite a nice place. We stayed a couple of weeks in nearby Downham in the late '90s, found the area to be extremely pleasant, and the people likewise, actually. And Clitheroe used to have a US model shop. He it was who first sold me Digitrax DCC, a choice I have yet to regret.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Rick, hence the “song”: “Who put the XXXX in SXXXXhorpe?” - my cousin can sing it all the way through.....

Best, Pete.

Barry Mann's 1960s number "Who Put The Bomp" which was, in its day, something of a mick-take of the 50's backing vocal style - that I can still manage word-perfect half a century later.  "Who put the £$%^ in Scunthorpe?" I must research further ;)

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

I quite like the electrickery in the drivetrain of my Land Rover. I can just concentrate on pointing it where I want to go. I have driven vehicles in yucky conditions where I had to pull levers and flick switched to be able to move. A lot of it is down to the driver. I had to help a Toyota 4x4 pickup truck driver get out of a snowdrift he had parked in at Tesco a few years ago. I drove it out even though I was totally unfamiliar with the vehicle.

Anyway I am just off to the park and the worst I am likely to have today is a muddy puddle in the car park.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Clitheroe is quite a nice place. We stayed a couple of weeks in nearby Downham in the late '90s, found the area to be extremely pleasant, and the people likewise, actually. And Clitheroe used to have a US model shop. He it was who first sold me Digitrax DCC, a choice I have yet to regret.

The late John Porter of Porter Wynne models.  He provided me with a lot of information for my model of Long Preston.   He had a fabulous collection of US stuff with cabinets full of stuff from different lines.  One UP, One SP and a DRGW plus some lovely South African locos.

Jamie

Yes, they did say it was a sh** service.

I wonder how much the farmer charged Stephensons for 'salvage'.

Jamie

• Like 11

I am amazed at how often drivers touch the brake pedal for no obviously sensible reason. I have followed cars where the drivers have touched the brakes every time vehicles came the other way (on a main road).....

I'm not surprised at all.

It seems to be down to lack of spatial awareness coupled with the fact that today's vehicles are somewhat wider on average than those built 20 or more years ago. The ones you would find alarming are those who drive smaller cars, but still insist on straddling the median line of a street even though the street is wide enough for two vehicles to pass each other.

• RMweb Premium

Clitheroe shares its misfortune with Scunthorpe and Penistone, and surely others, and requires an over-ride code to be included in some profanity filters ;)

A few years ago, someone in there great wisdom decided that they would create a work chart and that all the names of the sites in the North West in a four letter code. The code for CLITheroe was the first FOUR letters!

It always raised a laugh!

• Like 13

Getting colder here. Think I'll take the Beamer out for a spin. :mosking:

Prince2 training has not gone well today. Perhaps my project management style doesn't align with the tortuous & wordy.

Diverted onto white goods dishwasher) purchasing. I'd favour the Henry Ford school of choice.

Actually favour getting mum a brillo pad and telling her that swmbo is handling it! :jester:  

• RMweb Premium

A few years ago, someone in there great wisdom decided that they would create a work chart and that all the names of the sites in the North West in a four letter code. The code for CLITheroe was the first FOUR letters!

It always raised a laugh!

There's a few on the National Rail three-letter code database as well.  Looe is, well, LOO of course.