The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Very sad Rick. I expect it will be a great comfort to your mother to know you are in the same country. After 62 years she may find it difficult to come to terms with being alone.

Don 

• RMweb Gold

I knew there was a legal term for this!

It is something the Obergrumpenfuhrer wants to do with part of her late mother's estate.  Since  she and her brother are the sole beneficiaries, we decided that a bit of 'skip echelon' finance to our children might be in order. 

Our worry was that giving them both a lump sum from our assets in 6 months time, could/would/should attract CGT, which we would not wish them to pay, especially as HMRC have had a goodly slice in IHT, despite the money being contained within various tax saving wheezes.  

I don't know your position but it can make sense. Often married couples leave every thing to each other and to the children if they are deceased. If your joint assets are close to or over the IHT threshold leaving some to the children when you die can avoid the IHT which would occur on the death of the second if it had all gone to them first. These matters can be tricky and the services of Ivan to advise is most likely cost effective. When my mother was diagnosed with ovarian cancer and given three months she asked me could she give money away. I explained that it would still be included for IHT however you are allowed to give normal gifts so she decided everyone would get their birthday present early and made it a generous one. There are prescribed values that can be given annually  or in the event of someones marriage that are excluded from the 7 year rule (any money given over 7 years before death is not included in IHT assessment) Details here for those lucky enough to have the money https://www.gov.uk/inheritance-tax/gifts

Don

I am sorry to announce that father passed at 3.15pm. Mum, sister and myself were with him. He simply stopped breathing and slipped peacefully away. He was a few weeks shy of his 90th birthday and my parents had enjoyed almost 62 years of marriage.

So sorry to hear that Rick, fitting that you were able to be there with him though, take comfort in that, seems providential, he probably was waiting for you...

When my Dad died, I was told he was "going" and expected to last about 24 hours, between the time I heard that and got off the phone to book a ticket back (Concorde in the hope I'd make it) I got the second call that he'd died.

An easy day with the site visit going to plan followed by some time in the office. When I picked up my van it was disgustingly filthy inside and out. I took it to a hand car wash place and had it cleaned throughout. It's now how I expect our engineers to keep their vans.

Rick - Great to see that the journey around the planet was succesful and progress on the accommodation front appears to be swift. My condolences to you and the family.

Ian & Sherry - It seems that progress is being made on the rest and recovery front which is excellent news.

Ian A - Many happy returns

An evening out for a meal and a couple of beers with a work colleague.

I should be back later.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

A little more information on the type of PIGs we use. Generally these fall into 2 types, a cleaning PIG is always first to be put in the pipeline, this is then followed by the intelligent PIG, the latter being the more expensive one.

A diagram showing how a PIG is launched.

post-27337-0-97678600-1488478660_thumb.jpeg

A PIG assembled and ready for insertion.

post-27337-0-64822400-1488478572.jpeg

Various parts of a PIG.

post-27337-0-77422000-1488478623_thumb.jpeg

They can measure not just the depth of the pipeline but the wall thickness as well. Pipelines are often damaged accidentally in rural areas, usually farmers with there ploughing equipment and in areas where there is building work going on. Some will inform the company that they have caused pipeline damage. But some however, will back fill a hole and say nothing. The PIG can pinpoint to within a few meters where damage if any is.

Ian. Happy birthday

Mike (sixoh8sixoh). Happy birthday.

• Like 13

As part of Senior Manager training in British Gas in the early 90s I visited a platform in the rough Field out in the North Sea.

Here's a couple of shots of a PIG I took at that time

post-7048-0-64177600-1488479987_thumb.jpg

post-7048-0-66877600-1488479977_thumb.jpg

Note the spelling,

Dave

• Like 19

Evening all

In the light of recent US news, I hereby admit to meeting a Russian delegation on a Kings Cross to Edinburgh train in early 1980. They gave me a metal badge for the Moscow Olympics.

Opened an account at the TSB around 3 months ago but hadn't paid anything into it. I had received the bank card altered the PIN, though. Popped into the TSB today to pay in some cheques to be told that they had closed the account because I hadn't paid anything in. They said they'd sent a letter at Christmastime. Er, not received. Why not phone me on one of the two numbers I gave? Why not email me? OK - please will you reopen an account using the same information. Sorry but you have to do that online from home.

Happy birthday, Ian - did you remember to get tmrw off to deal with your hangover?

Have a good evening

Mal

• RMweb Premium

Condolences Rick. He knew you and the family were there.

When my FiL passed away, within 5 minutes of the last one arriving, he knew it was then time to let go.

Mick

Bit of a bu99er to end the day.

Someone (outsiders, probably, two of them) came in to the lecture theatre I was talking in and lobbed two heavy glass bottles of water at me. One shattered (got damp, no more) but water landed on my laptop which is probably a write off. That's a grand or more - we don't buy cheap stuff. Police involved, statements given, CCTV consulted.

If they're students they're toast, as we will be suspending them and instituting disciplinary proceedings to get rid of them. They'll also have a criminal record, hopefully.

If we catch them.

I wasn't scheduled to be giving that lecture - took over from a female manner of staff. I hope it was random and not targeted.

Edited by Coombe Barton