RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Put it in a vice and use brute strength?

Nooooooooo!

I would probably have put it in a vice and asked Aditi to turn it. Remember I have commented on her ability to do things that result in "was that meant to come off?" usually with Volvos or washing machines.

Back from Kew Gardens. Didn't knowingly bump into a Sharon. Off to SEGOG soon; if I'm back again then we're not meeting on Bank Holiday Monday.

Early physio at Lewisham Hospital tomorrow.

Bill

My level of technical competence can be gauged by a problem I had yesterday. Due to workshop space shortages I have my bench pin (for cutting sheet brass) attached to the bed of my pillar drill. Which means tightening the screw from underneath. I almost had to turn the whole thing upside down to remember which way was tightening the thread...

So, if brute force is ruled out, I suggest my usual second strategy. Hit it with a hammer*

*This sometimes works.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I still haven't been to Kew Gardens!

I should really as I like such places. I have been to the one in Dublin and the rather nice one in Amsterdam. Does The Eden Project count as a botanical garden?

• Like 12

Gripping the chuck in a vise is not highly recommended. It will knacker the chuck.

Here's a kinder, gentler method, although it does involve the use of a hammer (weighted plastic) in this case.

post-25691-0-73546600-1492451420_thumb.jpg

If you don't have one of those strap wrenches, I'd get one. It's more than likely you'll need one eventually. My hands are getting so arthritic now that I actually have to use it to tighten keyless chucks to prevent drills from slipping. They are also very useful for removing the lids from jars of marmalade.

Edited by AndyID
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Please don't Jamie - I'm enjoying reading the progress of LGA and if you move it to ERs, you run the risk of "talking trains" to the chagrin of herself - so keep on posting there at least.

Never fear, As I do most of the posts in that thread, it's unlikely to get locked unless I fall out with myself, though stranger things have happened.

Here north of the terrible place, an evening of Prosecco catch up TV and Beth's company is in progress. Not a bad way to spend a bank holiday.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 14

If it's a hand tightening chuck you could put a strap wrench on it and whack it with a 2 X 4. If it has a chuck key, you should be able to extend the "lever" with a ring wrench.

Put it in a vice and use brute strength?

Nooooooooo!

After trying a hair dryer on it to see if warming it through would work - freezing it certainly didn't, I put it in a bench vice (carefully), selected "reverse" and gently started the drill. ....whilst adjourning to cook tea, take the eldest for a cycle ride.....

Success! And due to the recent tidying up, finding the vice was but a moment's work. Thanks for all your ideas.  

Edited by AndyB
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

After a day of gardening and garage tidying with trips to the park and the tip we were just cooking dinner when Matthew rang. He needs an academic reference so he asked his tutor in Utrecht. She told him to write his own and she will modify it. His Mum's advice was required. He was being overly modest.

Tony

• Like 17

Bad employment news from ER. I wish you all the best, of course......

How Seurat became simultaneously a Post Impressionist and a Surrealist:

attachicon.gifbEXJoVZ.jpg

Personally I think that a print combining one of my favorite paintings with one of my favorite movies would look good in my office/studio.

Horrorshow, my droogs.

Best, Pete.

Thanks for posting Sunday In The Park With George (with Droogs), Pete. Love this pic; saw the original, minus Droogs, in the Chicago Art Gallery and it's a huge, wonderful painting. The Sondheim show based on it is pretty darn good, too.

Who added the Droogs?

Lovely spring-like day here today, sunny with chilly wind.

Have a good Monday evening.

Mal

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

I've managed to over tighten the chuck on my Bosch drill. 

Tempting to start a thread and see if it locks quicker than the bloomin' drill! 

Meanwhile I've tried a rubber band round it, brute force and ignorance (swmbo had a go) and I've now put it in the freezer to see if contracting any parts helps.

Pouring hot water over it didn't seem a good idea. :jester:  

After getting wet one time mine tends to jam if tight. Often the hammer drill action seems to tighten it. Usually if the battery is on the floor between my feet and I use two hands it will undo. If it is really tight pipe pliers will usually do it. I haven't needed to use the 2ft long stillsons so far which might well damage it. 

Don

• Like 3

Gripping the chuck in a vise is not highly recommended. It will knacker the chuck.

Here's a kinder, gentler method, although it does involve the use of a hammer (weighted plastic) in this case.

attachicon.gifDSCN3220.JPG

If you don't have one of those strap wrenches, I'd get one. It's more than likely you'll need one eventually. My hands are getting so arthritic now that I actually have to use it to tighten keyless chucks to prevent drills from slipping. They are also very useful for removing the lids from jars of marmalade.

I knew there would be a hammer in the story somewhere.

• Like 3

I would, but I'm only just keeping the b*gger away myself!

The drive around Fraggle Rock today resulted in a mediocre pub meal, being half frozen whilst having an ice cream in Port Erin, rain in Douglas, stopping on the headland to watch my colleagues at Groudle Glen being busy with Easter Egg trains that I should be taking part in and then getting home to glorious sunshine. Should have stayed here!

Guess what? The very act of writing down what was going on in my head, objectivising it, was enough to start a trickle of enthusiasm. Just come in from the garage with a modest sense of achievement. A job I had been putting off for weeks, realigning the supports for the storage area, is now done.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Of course, and if you can't fix it with a hammer you need to get a bigger hammer.

An old mechanical engineer's fault finding guide and solution.

If it doesn't move and it's supposed to - hit it with a hammer.

If it doesn't move and it's not supposed to - paint it.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 5

Another relaxing evening of planning and research after a pleasant meal with Andy P.

Heading home tomorrow after some rail related retail therapy. At least I should miss the worse of the traffic.

Night all

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

Well I took full advantage of today's sunshine and went straight outside after breakfast this morning. The planter has now been planted up with summer bulbs and sits on the decking under the workshop. That was followed by a little bit of weeding, I would like to have cut the grass, but unfortunately it was far too wet, maybe I'll be able to get it done one evening next week?

After lunch I went back to the workshop and started sorting out some of the items in the drawers, organising all my taps and dies etc, it's amazing what you find when you're not looking for it, isn't it? Later, using bits of off cuts of timber, I started to build a little tool rack for some of the hand tools that I use on a regular basis. It's only a small item, but it will eventually hold around 6-8 pairs or different types of pliers and cutters. The next step is to put a small shelf at the rear, with holes in for smaller screwdrivers etc.

Afte tea it was once again time to sit down with a bottle of red and catch up on a bit of recorded TV.

Goodnight all

• Like 19

... and if it moves, and isn't supposed to - apply duct tape.

If it still moves - you haven't used enough duct tape.

This may not translate too well, but you'll understand it.

Jimmy and Erchie were two machinists at a place I worked at in Hillington. Putting on a very loud posh accent, Erchie would announce,

"I say James, be a good fellow and pass me the stotometer."

At which point Jimmy would hand a huge ball-peen hammer to Erchie saying,

"Most certainly Archibald!"

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

After lunch I went back to the workshop and started sorting out some of the items in the drawers, organising all my taps and dies etc, it's amazing what you find when you're not looking for it, isn't it? Later, using bits of off cuts of timber, I started to build a little tool rack for some of the hand tools that I use on a regular basis. It's only a small item, but it will eventually hold around 6-8 pairs or different types of pliers and cutters. The next step is to put a small shelf at the rear, with holes in for smaller screwdrivers etc.

I have a couple of shelves -- not sure if they were part of a shelf set or shoe racks -- with legs and a lot of slots in them. The slots are ideal for pliers and larger screwdrivers. A few holes drilled at the front hold modelling size screwdrivers.

• Like 14