The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Here in the North of Scotland we live in a high moss/clean air area. The cure to the problem is a right-angled strip of copper nailed along the roof ridge line - rain falling on it forms a very weak solution of copper sulphate - mine was done 10 years ago and I've not had moss since.

Edited by shortliner
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

A very pleasant day so far spent in the garden and much accomplished. Grass cut and weeding done. Barbecue checked over and is ready for action in a couple of hours time . Gazebo has been erected and I needed to modify it for the new side panels we bought for it last week.  The  tapes etc didn't line up with all the existing eyelets so I had to exercise my brain to sort that out.

Shot one cat (with water) that had the cheek to visit while I was cleaning up the mess he and his friends had left recently.  However my campaign against them is bearing fruit because there wasn't anywhere near as much.

All garden furniture uncovered and cleaned up ready for a do we're having next weekend. I seem to be flavour of the month at the moment so maybe Mick is right and The Boss is after something.

I think an early beer is called for.

• Like 19

Further photos of the gutter growth:

attachicon.gifSAM_3706.JPGattachicon.gifSAM_3703.JPG

As Rounhouse said, that definitely needs to be cleaned out. All gutters trap sediment and have to be cleaned periodically.

However, I don't see any sign of staining on your neighbor's brickwork so I'm inclined to think her problem might simply be caused by lack of ventilation in her bathroom.

But I'm not a professional. My daughter is an architect, but that's not much help.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Shopping was duly shopped and then I was advised that 'we' would like to go to a garden centre in order to continue 'our' search for Primula Vialli - so I duly suggested Root One.  So pleasant drive to wallingford ensued - to reveal no primiula vialii left in stock and in the cause of earning brownie points I even rejected a visit to the cafe for a cuppa as it would inevitably have to be accompanied by me ordering food for myself (as it would be rude not to).  Instead the only other garden centre I could think of was at Wantage so we headed there with, hopefully, further brownie points banked by not taking either of the possible turnings to Long Whittenham and by not going anywhere near the station and associated attraction at Didcot  (all of which means I'm well placed for release to Railex next Sunday).

What's more the my Wantage suggestion paid off as herself was able to secure three nice examples of said plant so further brownie points were banked 'for having the idea of going there', plus of course we had a nice drive around the ever diminishing countryside twixt here and Wantage with Didcot seemingly expanding a mile or so further every time I go through the place.  We're off to Wantage again on Thursday for the funeral of my uncle (he did manage to get to 90 in reasonable health so a good innings) and I will do my best to totally avoid the Didcot metropolis which is now very definitely even more awful than the modern day sprawl of Swindon (which takes some doing).  

However the expansion of Didcot does raise a question which often exercises my mind - as acre after acre of good quality agricultural land vanishes under tick-tacky houses and massive roundabouts and new roads what will future generations in this country eat?  Presumably concrete with a side serving of plasterboard garnished with Trade emulsion paint?

• Like 1

Greetings !

Busy day yesterday visiting our Council Tax in the Holy City.  Apparently with his acceptance speech, the re-appointed County Council leader kept referring to the City and had to be reminded several times that he is actually responsible for the County as well.

Today accompanied Miss RhB shopping and using the strimmer on that stretch of grass dandelions and other weeds which the County Council is no longer going to maintain.  Open plan front gardens, of course, no fences etc., allowed.

The screening process for Mrs RhB is now a proper lottery - an 'oh-be-joyful' leaflet received today informs her that she has been randomly selected, like tossing a coin, to receive this upper torso screening as as 'some older and some younger women are being invited as part of a study of screening in different age groups'.  The words in italic are quoting from the actual booklet.

It then goes on to say that you can still have screening every three years, although you will need to ask your local screening unit for an appointment.

Sorry, rant nearly over ....

Letter to my newspaper yesterday from someone around my age, pointing out that he has used the NHS very infrequently, has paid over 45 years of NI and wonders why any 'Social Care at Home' will cost him up to £700 a week.  He finished by saying that he was considering equity release so as to rid himself of the assets........

Care Homes, by the way, in this cheap part of the country, cost £300-ish a week for standard care and £1000 a week for Alzheimer's patients. Or they did back in 2012 !!  And they are all private companies.

Sorry, happier days before then !!

Edited by RhBBob

• RMweb Gold

As Rounhouse said, that definitely needs to be cleaned out. All gutters trap sediment and have to be cleaned periodically.

However, I don't see any sign of staining on your neighbor's brickwork so I'm inclined to think her problem might simply be caused by lack of ventilation in her bathroom.

But I'm not a professional. My daughter is an architect, but that's not much help.

You may well be right but that blocked gutter is likely to overflow at that end and the Lead flashing stops part way across the gutter it would be difficult to prove there was no effect. If the gutter was clean and running well the neighbour would have to look elsewhere if the problem persisted which would be the case with a lack of ventilation. It is much better if everything looks in good order saves a lot of argument.

Don

Hayfield diminished in height - hopefully with this dry week ahead it'll dry out ready for scooping to the recycling.

In early tomorrow - exam day, 2 sessions and 2 session on Wednesday. Then home marking until it's finished.

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon Awl,
1/2 ton of concrete laid,
Shelving not touched.

After laying the concrete, I decided to move a pile of pavers, as part of the tidy up, on reaching near the bottom of the first column of pavers, my back screamed enough. I retired to a bench in the sun with a coffee and ibuprofen.

While thinking about life the universe and everything, I realised that the weather was warm enough to finish the corridor roof between the tin shed and the Railway shed.

The temporary plastic was removed, and the roof brushed down, then modern fake lead flashing was laid down. The roof is complicated due to the two shed double pitches being 90 degrees to each other and different heights. The 1ft wide strips, are easier to use than something wider.
After it was laid it was painted with bitumen, to:
A, stick it down better.
B, stop it shining out over the countryside.
C, stop the magpies deciding to line their nests with it.

One problem, the flashing is very slippery!! Perched on the roof being held on by my rigger boots trying to hook on a 3/8 batton, is not the time to get cramp. Which I did!!! A Very painful few minutes, but at least I avoided something GDB would be proud of....

Recovering safely to the ground, it was time for lunch, cheese and home made curried apple and onion chutney sarni.
Sadly the sound of the birds was drowned out by a stream of microlights and light aircraft heading for Happisburgh lighthouse as a way point. Though mummy deer and baby deer strolled past about 20 foot away, until they realised they were being watched, then they legged it.

Then an internal to the garden Berberis purpura was attacked, only a few feet were brought down a foot or so. Further work on that will be later this week.

I've a laptop on my lap that hasn't seen the internet in a couple of years, everything and it's dog is updating!!!

Must go, the satellite dish appears to be a little off line after the others days high winds, we have little signal though we are still getting a picture ...

Edited by TheQ

You may well be right but that blocked gutter is likely to overflow at that end and the Lead flashing stops part way across the gutter it would be difficult to prove there was no effect. If the gutter was clean and running well the neighbour would have to look elsewhere if the problem persisted which would be the case with a lack of ventilation. It is much better if everything looks in good order saves a lot of argument.

Don

I completely agree. The first thing to do is get the gutter cleared and the flashing and pointing carefully inspected. Unless that's done she's always going to have a good argument.

• RMweb Premium

Happy Anniversary to Jamie and Beth

Don

It was our Church Anniversary this morning but 2 days ago was the anniversary of Beth and I meeting for the first time in 1978.

Jamie

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

It was our Church Anniversary this morning but 2 days ago was the anniversary of Beth and I meeting for the first time in 1978.

Jamie

Not every man remembers dates from 39 years ago. Well done! And well done on keeping the relationship on the island too - they don't all manage that either! 

• Like 1

Here in the North of Scotland we live in a high moss/clean air area. The cure to the problem is a right-angled strip of copper nailed along the roof ridge line - rain falling on it forms a very weak solution of copper sulphate - mine was done 10 years ago and I've not had moss since.

Right angled strip along the length off the ridge?

I got on the roof 2 years ago and used a hoe and brush to get rid of the majority of moss but the rest needs cleaning off.

The roofs opposite have a low growing plant that benefits from rain and sprouts in the gull pooh.

The 2 houses here had their gutters "vacuumed" last year.post-19606-0-02607500-1495390503_thumb.jpg

Edited by lightengine

• RMweb Premium

Morning.  Ah.

AndyID, the connecting rod damage started as a failed bottom end bolt due to inclusions in the material, which skewed the cap, which ran hot and seized.  Ka-boom.  3,300 IHP per cylinder on one of those, it didn't stop....

Mike, whereabouts is the fabled Root One garden centre please?  We're having a couple of nights at Wallingford again in July, we may be tempted!  I have a feeling we might have been there but my forgettory has indeed forgotten!

• Like 14