The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Chewsday struggles over the horizon!

Nothing of substance to report from yesterday save the expected flustercuck as the client staff attempt to get themselves re-established in the "original" temporary digs.

This past weekend was the move BACK into the space, and Monday saw pretty much everyone (except me - "have OWN laptop will travel") trying to get their computers working, printers appearing on the network and visible for use, OH and in asking why they had been rather slow in responding - as in NOT!! - to my emails from last Thursday/Friday, I then discovered that their entire email system has been spotty for a week or more, and finally declared itself dead last Thursday. The IT department have as yet to manage to get THAT working successfully, COMPANY WIDE! What a bunch of plonkers :O

20 and light fog/mist driving in, expecting 27 for a high. Advisories out for the coast for rip currents and high surf as the effects of hurricane Maria are felt...

Carry on modeling/working/resting/<insert your activity as required> :jester:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Self playing instruments.  This is one of my favourites:

Some people have much too much time on their hands :scratchhead:

I must admit I was more interested in the oscilloscopes, there are several Tecktronix TDS 210's a few feet away from me, But the EICO 460 is a new one on me and I've used some very old ones in my time... Just looked up the EICO company and it's unlikey they every exported to the UK..

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I had a trip to Leigh to collect the John Lewis orders thst were piling up there. I was given a little list too. I had a careful peruse of the sliced ham. We had some ham from Sainsbury recently when I noticed that in small letters it said "formed ham". I wondered what this meant and how it differed from reformed ham. Waitrose use the term "formed from..." on their packets. I found some from their "1" range that isn't formed. I will see if I can taste the difference.

On the way back someone seemed to think that the West bound lane of the A13 was a filter lane for their East bound route. Fortunately they realised their error, I suppose the prescence of even my small Land Rover is a bit of a hint they may have made a mistake. Then further on I was in the nearside lane as I intended to turn left. This lane is a rush hour bus lane but wasn't when I was in it. Someone at the end of the "bus lane" tried to move from the outer lane to the inner lane while I was there. I wondered if perhaps today my car was in some sort of stealth mode or had been painted camo effect while I was driving. The driver did appear to realise I was there when I sounded the horn and moved out to the third lane. Perhaps they were lost.

Edited by Tony_S

• RMweb Premium

. Then further on I was in the nearside lane as I intended to turn left. This lane is a rush hour bus lane but wasn't when I was in it. Someone at the end of the "bus lane" tried to move from the outer lane to the inner lane while I was there. I wondered if perhaps today my car was in some sort of stealth mode or had been painted camo effect while I was driving. The driver did appear to realise I was there when I sounded the horn and moved out to the third lane. Perhaps they were lost.

Lost of people just see Bus Lane signs and not the time restrictions. There is one on our local driving test centre route that is only a bus lane 7.30am-9am and it's a test fail if not used properly as a normal lane outside those hours. It's also very common to see cars avoiding the bus lane at all times.

Cheers,

Mick

I must admit I was more interested in the oscilloscopes, there are several Tecktronix TDS 210's a few feet away from me, But the EICO 460 is a new one on me and I've used some very old ones in my time... Just looked up the EICO company and it's unlikey they every exported to the UK..

Agreed Q - I've never seen any Eico stuff in Europe. They had a similar business model to Heathkit manufacturing kits and test gear for (among others) radio amateurs.

• RMweb Premium

Ah Heathkit, that's a blast from the past!!!

I've just had a look around to see what happened to them, it seems after several rounds of musical owners they went bust. But in 2015 someone has revived the company and has got all the rights to their designs. But I would think most of them are rather dated now...

https://www.heathkit.com

• RMweb Gold

Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly is a 2:2 degree and a "Desmond" in this context?

Honours degrees are 1st, second and third class. Second class are divided into upper and lower 2:1 2:2. TWO TWO sounds like Tutu, surname of the Desmond the former Anglican Archbishop in South Africa.

I got the grade known as an "only", as in only a third...

Edited by Tony_S

Honours degrees are 1st, second and third class. Second class are divided into upper and lower 2:1 2:2. TWO TWO sounds like Tutu, surname of the Desmond the former Anglican Archbishop in South Africa.

I got the grade known as an "only", as in only a third...

Or a Richard!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Every academic system had its own grading system. There seem to be equivalent grades so Matthew's grades in Utrecht had to average out above 8 on the 10 point Netherlands mark scheme for him to qualify for Ireland. US universities have various standardised tests for graduates.

Matthew's cousin Paul was going to do them but is at the Max Planck Institute in Tubingen instead.

Aditi got a Desmond surprisingly. She is very good at exams but around the time of her finals her mother started making arrangements for her to get married. The complication was that all the "aunties" who make introductions really wanted to talk about Aditi's sister who was a medical student. Geography students don't rate so highly so MiL couldn't find a doctor or dentist. They were even considering lawyers but all the Aunties found were accountants. Aditi said she was so stressed her hair was falling out. After her degree she was planning to run away to Switzerland and train to be a teacher of meditation at the Maharishi University. However she went to Keele on an FE teacher training course where I met her.

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 1