The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Although my GP surgery generally issue repeat prescriptions for 2 months, the earliest you can normally reorder is 2 weeks before. However the online system does allow a "custom request" option. I just type "HOLIDAY, please issue xxxx" and they do.

I effectively gave them two months' warning and still they've rejected. As said, I visit Sister Rheumatologist on Monday ...

(This drug (methotrexate) is per month whilst, like you, all my others are on 2 months)

Edited by JohnDMJ

Evening all,

Apologies if my posts are somewhat succinct but the new job and commute is taking time to settle into. Much work at the computer each day means i struggle to switch the home laptop on when I get home. 

Beer Friday was most successful, although delayed by reading news from Normandy.

Very pleased to see a post from Ian(OD). Hopefully more will follow.

Several pints of Ringwood 49er to the best as part of my Friday night ritual.. 

i failed to find the Tony's news link about the microwave / concrete incident although I obviously assumed a GDB connection. 

Evening all,

Several pints of Ringwood 49er to the best as part of my Friday night ritual.. 

Now there's mathbeer-matics! 2 pints = a 98er, 3 = maximum snooker break (without fouls)! Great beer too.

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Now there's mathbeer-matics! 2 pints = a 98er, 3 = maximum snooker break (without fouls)! Great beer too.

I have enjoyed their Old Thumper on occasions too.

My feelings extended to anyone (specifically Mr. Roundhouse) attempting to travel in the south today. A high-voltage cable apparently pooped itself in dramatic fashion around 7am resulting in a loss of power in the Purley area. One driver who witnessed it reported the biggest firework he had ever seen. Trains came to a stand for up to 90 minutes and the knock-on effect resulted in them queuing all the way back to Littlehampton, Barnham and Lewes. Thameslink were also affected.

It wasn’t much better for us on platform duty having to redirect many thousands of hopeful passengers. We did manage to get messages to some SWR guards asking them to announce a change at Vauxhall not Clapham Junction to reach Victoria. Passengers with flights from Gatwick were referred to Southern staff for assistance. Many others could be offered some sort of alternative route. Croydon via Wimbledon and Tramlink was a popular one.

Once things did start moving we received train-loads of those most severely delayed first. I have to say that none of us received a single complaint though the free coffee vouchers given out caused overcrowding at counters.

All in a day’s work just as is everything that can happen any and every day. An extremely cold Rick signed off knowing as many passengers as possible had been redirected, reassured and otherwise offered assistance and information.

The weekend is here. It is time for Christmas shopping, domestic engineering and on Sunday we host both SWMBO’s work team for lunch then as many neighbours as care to drop in for evening drinks and mince pies.

It’s cold but hasn’t snowed. Rug up, take care, look out for your vulnerable neighbours and maybe pop round just to check they are warm and not in need.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

I effectively gave them two months' warning and still they've rejected. As said, I visit Sister Rheumatologist on Monday ...

(This drug (methotrexate) is per month whilst, like you, all my others are on 2 months)

If my Azathioprine medication ceased to work for any reason they would replace it with methotrexate. Some of my medications were once monthly repeats but my GP said it was silly and changed them all to two monthly.
  • Like 13

Good afternoon from a village all white and wintry.  Or is that wintery?    Had to take Jayne to the airport (other end entirely of the rock) today, it was a bit dodgy at times as there was only one route of three still open, snow causing its usual chaos here.  Buses all off, schools closed, retire to your nuclear bunkers sort of thing.   Meanwhile a Geordie gets on with it, in shirt sleeves of course.

Lots of accidents around, tried to take Mrs H to work early doors, but someone had spun off and taken down power lines across the road in Laxey, closing the last available route!  On the steepest slipperiest hill too, of course.  Quite funny listening to the Minister for utilities explaining things live on the radio (he's also our GP!) on his phone, stuck in the traffic jam, a few cars ahead of us!  Gave up and came home, two hours to do 16 miles.  It had improved enough later to take Jayne by the third route that was just able to be negotiated with care. 

attachicon.gifsnaa.JPG

We could see the snow on Fraggle Rock quite clearly this morning. It seems to be one of these weather quirks where the island gets dumped on with snow, and we didn’t get a single flake at sea level on the mainland, just a lot of rain instead.

I did get out for a walk today, but it was certainly cold, despite being well wrapped up. This evening I was out to a railway club slide show of steam around the Cumbrian Coast Line, mostly from the 1960s but with some preserved specials as well. A very pleasant time was had by all.

• Like 16

Touting for business?

I particularly liked the one about the "special needs" bloke who may soon be getting a licence to use a shotgun. That sounds like possible future scores being settled. La France Profonde: it just keeps getting better.  :stinker:

I've stopped taking Methotrexate (3 per week) as I've run out, and the Consultant in RFH Rheumatology today reckoned I didn't need it anymore. I did notice that when I was taking it, conditions became very windy indeed.
Edited by Horsetan

• RMweb Premium

Evening everyone

This morning’s weather was very frosty, but thankfully no snow, still it made the workshop and shed roofs look very pretty!

Once again I spent most of the day in middle earth, the office roof that I hadn’t quite finished yesterday has been completed and a start has been made on the signal box.

This morning, despite having been diagnosed with pneumonia on Wednesday, Vickie went back to work. Personally I think she’s been a bit hasty, but then again, I’m only her father!

We have an overnight guest, Evie is stopping here and will be with us for most of tomorrow, I expect that several films or episodes of Dr Who will be watched tomorrow.

I was once asked, whilst at the office, sorting some stuff out in the boot of the car, “Brian, how cold does it have to get for you to put a long sleeve shirt on?” I mean, I’d only been outside about 40 minutes!

Chris. I hope you got good news from your oncologist today.

Ian. Nice to see you back.

Goodnight all

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

my extended prescription has been "blanked"...I will visit Sister Dracs junior most helper next week so I will raise the subject then...

Baz

Rules on prescriptions seem to change constantly and if they contain certain drugs, particularly controlled ones then they can only be issued for 4 weeks.  We have had some very tricky times getting Beth's prescriptions for when we are away for 6 weeks.    It has certainly been tightened up in the last 18 months much to frustration of pharmacists and GP's staff.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

The mentions of Wolverhampton reminded me that had things been different I would have been born there. My parents rented a couple of rooms in a house in Wolverhampton. Their landlady said it was perfectly ok for them to stay after the baby was born and Mum and Dad decorated a room for the baby. The day my parents finished the decorating they were evicted. However the landlady didn't get the benefit of the decorations as I have been told my mother removed all the wallpaper and burnt it.

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 15

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Good to see Ian back and hope to see more of him, and on the subject of missing ER's we haven't heard much from Pete (Trisonic) lately. On my way to Tesco's lunchtime I espied my friend coming out of the local PDSA with the family dog. Apparently one of his daughters thought that hiding half a bar of chocolate under a cushion would suffice. Needless to say the dog found it and scoffed the lot, half a bar of Aero. Fortunately the dog will be OK, there being not a lot of genuine chocolate in an Aero bar. The dog (name Melody) is a small terrier type but very friendly, I'm not sure of her exact breed but she's possibly a cross.

No doubt the daughter was pretty cross too .......!

P.S. I've been missing, too, due to forgetting my log in some weeks ago.

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Just when I have the chance to stay in bed, I am wide awake.

On top of the signal problems I gather that there were points fialures at Hove, Gatwick and Haywards Heath then I think it was a broken down train at LBG last night making things even worse with many trains terminating South of London bridge. My other half happened to be standing in the right place to get on an Uckfield service to East Croydon then picked up our normal train home from there arriving just in time to miss the bus home. Whilst many of the recent delays have been staff shortages and train faults are Southern / GTR problems, most these days are infrastructure failings of Network Rails.

We have no trains today at Redhill due to engineering works, so its breakfast in Wetherspoons before catching a bus to Reigate then GWR to Dorking West (our season ticket is now to and from Dorking as its cheaper than from Redhill and valid on various routes) where we visit a few pubs. Cobbetts is a great off sales with a tiny bar. After a few in Dorking the plan is to use the local buses to visit a few other pubs, some for the first time, another after many years.

Then bus into Reigate to visit Pilgrim Brewery new tasting room, now in the hands of new owners.

We may finish in a pub or two in Reigate or walk back to Redhill via a couple more.

Edit

Two 455s split their tight locks out side LBG

Edited by roundhouse

Good morning one and all and a warm welcome back to Ian OD

I had an interesting consultation yesterday with Professor Oncologist.  My PSA reading is now 3 point something, which disappointed me.  The Prof, on the other hand, was not unduly worried and reminded me that when I was first diagnosed, two and a half years ago, the reading was over 800.  Perhaps I can take his hint.  He has put me on another lot of tablets.  Those that he would have wished to prescribe are the subject of availability problems.   Fortunately, he beamed, an alternative may be had.  Off I trotted to the hospital pharmacy only to find that the alternative was out of stock!  I am hopeful that 30 days’ worth can be conjured up from somewhere and have been led to expect a phone call from the pharmacy today.  At least when people ask me how I am I can now tell them.

Warm thoughts and best wishes to all in distress and recovery

Chris

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Back from MRC,

Mountains deleted with sandpaper, hills sides extended with polystyrene, polyfilla etc.

Much happier with scenery,

Ben given lots of cuddles

Now home awaiting SWMBO, Ben curled up in her chair..

And it's still b******y chilly out there.

Fell asleep

Now had 6 hour solid sleep see if I can get some more

• Like 16

Morning all,

Woke up at 02:20 and started thinking about work. 

Clearly that indicates I had both sufficient and insufficient to drink last night. 

Now about to start my Christmas shopping. See if I can get it done before 06:45. 

I like it. shopping done before the shops open :sungum:

online shopping is so much easier

Also where I work there aren't any shops and lunch breaks don't allow a wander into town. 

That just leaves the weekend and facing a shopping centre car park this close to Christmas would mean my level of Christmas cheer would plummet.