The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Successful day at Brentwood if the number of modelling tokens expended is anything to go by. The bulk of the expenditure went on 'collectable' diecasts and some model lorry bits. I still have quite a few left but a trip to Brooklands next Sunday is planned.

• Like 18

4 hours ago, shortliner said:

Okay - #1 Silly question - are you building the boards or is somebody doing it for her? #2 Is the lad having small locos - and if a small-ish loco is being obtained - have you seen this -  

it will fit on a table - give him some experience, and store easily without anything needing to fold or join together - if it has a plug in controller life should be simple

He has a Hornby freight set and a board that I believe they want to extend.

I am miles away or I would do it.

Thanks for the vid I will pass it on.

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Tonight was quiz night at the Bowls Club in what amounts to one of our regular team groupings (they vary a little) but yet again we won, we only dropped 5 points off the maximum achievable so were quite happy with our efforts .  And a far better prize than the impressive looking hamper with 3rd rate contents dished out when we won at the golf club as tonight we got six bottles of reasonable wine to share between six of us.  Plus an excellent fish & chip supper from Mr Singh's chippy.

• Like 18

Funny old day, did next to nothing due to lousy light for photography and a sore back, I think too much of the dreaded "G" word did for me yesterday, Quiet day I think tomorrow, daughter and family flew to Florida today and sons family too far away south of the border, so I guess I shall be pampering SWMBO even though she's not my mum...……………………….night all

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, lightengine said:

What would be the best (simple) way to join 2 boards together and make track joining easy for a gran and her 9 year old grandson?

Its a basic roundy roundy with only 2 track connections. It has to be separated to store.

I'll risk it awl.

N-Trak used to use a short section of set-track (or euivalent) and set the ends of the track on the board back half that length. Enough sleepers removed so that the rail joiners could be fully slid onto the joining track. Our club also used this but tried to hold the boards together by dropping the joining track into Peco foam roadbed.

(Posted before I read the other replies.)

Edited by BR60103
  • Like 9

Good morning one and all

There is plenty in the diary this week and I hope that my health co-operates!  The omens are good as I’ve been up nearly an hour and have not coughed yet.  Could this really be the end of the virus?  Anyway, tonight the fine singer-songwriter Sam Carter is in concert in Northampton, on Tuesday Peter Groom is showing slides of the Romney Hythe and Dymchurch in Bedford and on Thursday the Askew Sisters appear in concert at my local theatre.  Less entertainingly, I have my annual diabetic eye screening on Tuesday afternoon and my 12 weekly hormone injection, the mainstay of my cancer treatment, on Friday.  My reward for all this comes not in heaven but at QEGS in Wakefield on Saturday and Sunday, this being the home of Scalefour North.  I hope that my northbound journey on Saturday will not suffer the same disruption as last year, namely a fatal accident on the A1 near Stamford, or indeed any other sort.

Today’s lunch is another piece of inspiration from Jim the butcher.  Once in a while he gets in some nice slabs of sirloin steak and this could be such an occasion.  One must pamper oneself occasionally.  There is laundry to be done and I suppose I should finish unpacking following my holiday Down Under.  Outside there is a jungle where my garden used to be and I really can’t face tackling it – not today, anyway.

I’m still awaiting the announcement from Pride In London, promised in March, about how individuals can take part in the parade.  I had an e-mail on Thursday but it turned out to be an invitation to run an event.  No thanks: I want to take part in the one that you are running!

Best wishes to all

Chris

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 12

Spent a few hours trying to understand why the roof liner in my new jam jar was partially obscuring the rear window. After a bit of googling I could see how it was supposed to go together. I think I've got it right now, but time will tell.

I suspect it popped out when someone lowered and raised the soft-top when it was too cold for the fabric to stretch. The manual tells you not to do it it when it's below 41F.

MrsID and I had fun running around with the top down today (OK, so we were posing!) The air temp was not very high but the Sun was out and it was very pleasant.

Edited by AndyID
stupid web site posted before i finished
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, 

A solid seven 6 hours sleep,  this was after over an hours eyelid inspection earlier. 

Not too much of the aches an pains after yesterday,  we'll see what happens after today. 

And today's plans are... Build the other garage door.  

I predict Ben the Border Collie will drag me from the sofa in half an hours time. I'll get my own back tomorrow when the effect of time shifting take effect. 

On the way to the MRC Friday night a police car and police forensics van were parked out side a house in the next village,  so far nothing in the local online paper... 

Time to decide on bacon toasty or porridge... 

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, chrisf said:

There is plenty in the diary this week and I hope that my health co-operates!  The omens are good as I’ve been up nearly an hour and have not coughed yet.  Could this really be the end of the virus?  

Chris,

I think that it is. I've had a cough since Christmas that has defeated the medics and has even resulted in x-rays and other tests but in the last week or so it has actually lessened and like you in recent days I've even gone an hour or so without coughing. Hence I think we have probably had the same thing and that the light at the end of the tunnel  is not the 6.15 coming the other way. I also wish you well with the eye test and hormone treatment and hope you manage to get some sense out of the pride organisers.

Good morning to everyone else too.

Dave

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Tony_S said:

...........we had a nice chat about the weather as it was warm and sunny.

We may be heading for apocalyptic climate change but at least the weather's nice for it.

Morning all.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium

Morning all and the Awl no doubt as several off us have strayed from the paths of righteousness.   The prospect of a mass confession by members of ER's on bended knee before the Awl is not a thought for the faint hearted.   We can only plead that it was all in a good cause to aid one of our brethren.

Anyway, we had an interesting day yesterday.   The visit to see a friends house was done and unfortunately one of her three rescue dogs was on her last legs so Beth stayed with Tina while I cam home.   The dog was taken to the vets later in the afternoon and is now at peace.   

I came home and after finally getting rid of the large kist, into someone else's garage, I set to work to assemble the log chopper or Scie de Buche as it's known.   Despite the blurred pictograms and the slight mismatch between the parts and the parts list I eventually managed it and it works a treat.  The final piece was only put in place by consulting the colour photo on the packaging as I took that to the trailer.  

We are off to the market in a few minutes then there will be some tidying up as some Dutch friends, who arrived this week, are coming for a meal tonight.  

Regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

A bit of a dull start to the day here. Some rain is possible now falling but it should brighten up later.

Mick, no blood was spilled here yesterday.

As suspected last night was a marathon booze and food fest but I have survived and feel quite good notwithstanding losing an hour of sleep.

My first task today is to construct a Bakewell tart to take to Nicki's where we are spending the Day for Mothers.

Have a good one,

Bob

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

I've had a cough since Christmas that has defeated the medics and has even resulted in x-rays and other tests but in the last week

I too have had a persistent cough which was hard to diagnose, and in the end it was a new GP to the practice who reviewed my meds list, and said that one of my anti hypertensives could cause such a cough after a few years on it, and that it was a (then) little known side effect - however, it was a few years ago, and I can't now recall which med it was, but it was replaced by Losartan.  However, like Chris and Dave, I too have again got a persistent cough, but this time it has no obvious cause - a chest X-Ray turned up nothing, and there is nothing now on my lost of meds which SHOULD be causing it - I just take Bells Linctus now and it does suppress the cough for a while.

Morning All

We usually change one or two of the clocks upstairs so that we know the time, but forgot last night due to being very tired, and we took to our beds quite early, and as a result woke at 5.05 which of course was really now 6.05, and I took Lily out for wees, and changed all the clocks - and we have about a dozen to change - I always have trouble with the one on the car, as it is a very complicated operation which is not explained in the handbook, as our Peugeot 207 is a Sportium, and they never produced a manual - there are some videos on youtube, and some instructions online, but in all honesty, it is so much fiddle that I tend to leave it, and just to remember that it is an hour out in winter - there is an alternative clock on the SatNav, and that is driven from the sat, so needs no changing, and provided I check that instead of the dash clock, it is fine.

So now then, as usual, a fair amount of ER water has passed - RIck, a shame that your dinner got spoiled, and I hope your missus is not suffering too much now.  John - hope that Sandy's yukkiness changes back to Ickyness again - this Chemo does sound to be quite arduous, but as it appears to be having the desired effect, as the tumor is shrinking, it is worth the yucky and icky feelings, I think.

Generic greetings are again on offer to everybody.

Now then 30747 received her discharge letter from the private hospital THROUGH THE POST BY 2ND CLASS - she was so seriously delayed on Tuesday that she went home, thinking that there was no more formality to be done, and she was not told anything to the contrary - now seems that she has to have a CTC scan as the consultant could not get the endoscope all the way - so more of the horrible meds and fasting - though it will be done at the NHS, and by a radiographer, so a lot less chance of a four hour delay.

Back tomorrow (?)

Regards to All

Stewart

Edited by 45156
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

Bore da.

Woke up in my own bed for once, following short breaks in Krakow, then Rome.

Yesterday, our Flybe Embraer 175 disgorged it's 88 passengers at Cardiff "International" Airport at a time when there was no other f!ight due, and no other planes at the stands.

As a result, no staff in passport control, and the e.gates were turned off.

Cue panic as border agency staff impersonated headless chickens, and we had to wait for the e.gates to power up and boot up !

International airport my * "+: !!

Chins up all, and make the best of this shortened day.

Edited by br2975
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 13

1 hour ago, 45156 said:

I too have had a persistent cough which was hard to diagnose, and in the end it was a new GP to the practice who reviewed my meds list, and said that one of my anti hypertensives could cause such a cough after a few years on it, and that it was a (then) little known side effect - however, it was a few years ago, and I can't now recall which med it was, but it was replaced by Losartan.  However, like Chris and Dave, I too have again got a persistent cough, but this time it has no obvious cause - a chest X-Ray turned up nothing, and there is nothing now on my lost of meds which SHOULD be causing it - I just take Bells Linctus now and it does suppress the cough for a while.

Morning All

We usually change one or two of the clocks upstairs so that we know the time, but forgot last night due to being very tired, and we took to our beds quite early, and as a result woke at 5.05 which of course was really now 6.05, and I took Lily out for wees, and changed all the clocks - and we have about a dozen to change - I always have trouble with the one on the car, as it is a very complicated operation which is not explained in the handbook, as our Peugeot 207 is a Sportium, and they never produced a manual - there are some videos on youtube, and some instructions online, but in all honesty, it is so much fiddle that I tend to leave it, and just to remember that it is an hour out in winter - there is an alternative clock on the SatNav, and that is driven from the sat, so needs no changing, and provided I check that instead of the dash clock, it is fine.

So now then, as usual, a fair amount of ER water has passed - RIck, a shame that your dinner got spoiled, and I hope your missus is not suffering too much now.  John - hope that Sandy's yukkiness changes back to Ickyness again - this Chemo does sound to be quite arduous, but as it appears to be having the desired effect, as the tumor is shrinking, it is worth the yucky and icky feelings, I think.

Generic greetings are again on offer to everybody.

Now then 30747 received her discharge letter from the private hospital THROUGH THE POST BY 2ND CLASS - she was so seriously delayed on Tuesday that she went home, thinking that there was no more formality to be done, and she was not told anything to the contrary - now seems that she has to have a CTC scan as the consultant could not get the endoscope all the way - so more of the horrible meds and fasting - though it will be done at the NHS, and by a radiographer, so a lot less chance of a four hour delay.

Back tomorrow (?)

Regards to All

Stewart

My lung cancer was only diagnosed because I had "Losartan cough".

• Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. I now only have my watch to change, all my clocks bar one change automatically. That one clock is such a PITA to change that I leave it on GMT. Going to Brentwood yesterday was a bit of a bind due to roadworks/accidents including one on the roundabout above the Halfway House (A127) where an expensive looking sports job had had an argument with the Armco and lost. Police were in attendance and they seemed to be everywhere pulling up the boy racers.

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 7