The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, 81C said:

it looks bloody awful to be honest until it's combed out.

Just don't tell her that!

• Agree 13
  • Funny 1

19 hours ago, Northroader said:

So you’re perfectly equipped for all those microlayouts.

Northroader - if that was in reply to my post about the optical test - certainly - although I'm not doing "Micro-Layouts" as such - I'm currently playing with a much earlier layout  (Fiddlestick Switch Job , an HO version of Prof Klyzlrs "ChicagO Fork" layout) that packs up into "That Damn Box", and making alternative back-scenes and changing the layouts appearance - and I'm also fumbling with the idea of adding an extra track and a working gate on a bolt-on back section (which certainly won't then fit into the box , and will need to travel separately) , and thus  widening the layout - it keeps me from hanging about on street corners, whistling at the girls. Also I had some LPBs arrive today as I want to add some Afro-Caribbean train crew to some of my locos - so I have some painting to do

PS I posted this earlier and on trying to edit it successfully lost the lot - so I have reposted it as well as I can remember the original post

PPS  LPBs/LLPs = Little Plastic Blokes/People , for those who haven't come across the term before

PPPS The original of Fiddlestick Switch Job should be here - just in case anyone is interested

Edited by shortliner
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

• RMweb Gold

Evening all,

The train spotting branch of Waitrose was duly visited and two passing trains were observed and some cheaper diesel was obtained in Tilehurst village saving me the grand sum of £3.00 compared with filling up here.  Waitrose was not too bad and the chap on the checkout we used is excellent, always one to aim for if there isn't a queue.  We then proceeded to the local branch of Tesco encountering several snails masquerading as motor cars on the way.  We didn't need much - but as usual bought a little more although i'm not complaining because the extra was doughnuts (and some fish for his catness).  But the place was infested by what Mrs Stationmaster aptly described as  'zombies' because of the way they were almost moving around and blocking aisles.  The prize one however was an old(er than me) chap who nearly pushed his trolley head on into mine when we were making our way to the checkout.  I'm convinced that he simply couldn't see me or my trolley judging by the look on his face as I swerved round him so I hope he hadn't driven himself there (bet he had!!).

The day has remained dry.

• Friendly/supportive 19

• RMweb Premium

brownie points earned as I got all of the washing out in the "correct way" and it has all dried! 

Now for a bit of "me" time as herself has gone off to her recorder group.

Baz

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Raining all day here in sunny Teignmouth.

Ha, caught Waitrose out earlier in the week.  Their 2 for £3 offer on Sharwoods curry accoutrements wasn't processed through the till system properly and I had to ask for the prices to be adjusted.  I wonder how many have been caught by that little dodge. I know they're hard up, but hey.

• Like 15

ENT suggests some additional meds to clear the lurgi, mostly making it persistent enough to knock it out it seems.

Nothing that exciting, a steroid and some allergy over-the-counter med. We live in hope! :jester::jester:

Will POE in an hour or so, fitting decision :)

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 16

Evening all, we don't get Waitrose up here, nor Wilkinsons(which is a shame) and the only Sainsburys is over 20 miles away in Dundee, so it's Mozzers, Tescos, Asdas or Lidl. So I do my best avoid all of them where possible and use the farmers markets where we can. 

We had some sunshine once the Harr(sea fog) had gone, still chilly but a nice day outside, went to see the local Osprey who is trying to evict a Greylag Goose from the nest, hide was mobbed with folks so I slid off to my hide in the forest, where to my astonishment I saw a Pine Marten in the middle of the day. Sadly the hastily grabbed photo has focused on the branches in front of it, so I am going to have spend some serious amounts of time up there with a jar of peanut butter and some jam...………………...not for me, bait for the Marten...…….honest.

• Like 16

2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Evening all,

The train spotting branch of Waitrose was duly visited and two passing trains were observed and some cheaper diesel was obtained in Tilehurst village saving me the grand sum of £3.00 compared with filling up here.  Waitrose was not too bad and the chap on the checkout we used is excellent, always one to aim for if there isn't a queue.  We then proceeded to the local branch of Tesco encountering several snails masquerading as motor cars on the way.  We didn't need much - but as usual bought a little more although i'm not complaining because the extra was doughnuts (and some fish for his catness).  But the place was infested by what Mrs Stationmaster aptly described as  'zombies' because of the way they were almost moving around and blocking aisles.  The prize one however was an old(er than me) chap who nearly pushed his trolley head on into mine when we were making our way to the checkout.  I'm convinced that he simply couldn't see me or my trolley judging by the look on his face as I swerved round him so I hope he hadn't driven himself there (bet he had!!).

The day has remained dry.

SALISBURY!!!!!!!!!

Most or the cars driven within 20 miles of the City have persons behind the wheel that have been officially certified dead for a minimum of 2 years.

Julian

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, jcredfer said:

SALISBURY!!!!!!!!!

Most or the cars driven within 20 miles of the City have persons behind the wheel that have been officially certified dead for a minimum of 2 years.

Julian

In this part of this fair earth there are two sets of such slow drivers.  The first drive in the middle of the road at 20 kph. They all look as if they were embalmed some time ago.  The second lot look a bit livelier but drive what are called a "Voiture Sans Permi".   These can only do 25 mph and are little square boxy things. People who have lost their licence are allowed to buy them otherwise their rights to drive would be infringed.  They also drive in the middle, the sides and all over the road.  They are commonly known as drunk cars.  I believe that they don't have insurance either.

Jamie

• Informative/Useful 7
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Just been searching for replacements a couple of magazines that I had loaned out and had not been returned. Whilst doing so I came upon this website >> http://www.magazineexchange.co.uk/cw/  You can also dispose of your surplus magazines through the site. I did manage to get one of the magazines but I will have to continue searching for the other. Has anyone got a copy of Railway Bylines for April 2004 (vol 9 issue 5) to spare?

• Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

18 hours ago, BR60103 said:

We had one in a rental car in Florida that absolutely refused to direct us onto the toll roads. 

16 hours ago, MarkC said:

Easily changed in 'Settings', I would have thought.

Was it from Hertz, and was it during the class action suit brought v. Hertz and PlatePass?

PlatePass was the third party toll payment provided contracted by Hertz. The fees they charged (amount, manner, etc), passed through to the drivers' credit card were the subject of the suit.

• Informative/Useful 10

19 hours ago, AndyID said:

Outstandingly done, although the whoppers started piling up quickly after the first mention of Professor Taranatoga at the University of Formalhaut (aka Alpha Piscis Austrini).

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening Awl, 

Just back from the MRC,  well attended. 

I made like slartybartfast,  and where there was flat ground is now a 125ft hillside. Hollow for fiddling about with electrically powered wheel things.

More fijord like hillside shaping Next Week. 

The three lights are waiting for me in the landrover for tomorrow.

In the meantime it's time to drink my choccy  and I hope get some sleep I feel exceedingly tired.. 

Goodnight Awl.. 

• Like 16

12 hours ago, grandadbob said:

. This started me looking at everything I eat and drink and it would appear that I could actually be a walking lump of Potassium so henceforth should be referred to as "K." :rolleyes:

Stay well clear of water ;)

• Agree 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, grandadbob said:

I could actually be a walking lump of Potassium so henceforth should be referred to as "K." :rolleyes:

Wasn't K one of the men in black? Does this mean you'll be fighting aliens and saving the galaxy Bob?

A peaceful night everyone. 

Dave

Edited by Dave Hunt
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 9

2 hours ago, Ian Abel said:

ENT suggests some additional meds to clear the lurgi ...

If perchance you see an Entwife, do let Coombe Barton know. The Ents in his fair Entwood will be delighted.

The rain promised every day this week finally arrived this morning, and having properly rained, a bright sun is shining now and again despite more dark clouds to the south*. All week we were promised rain and had mostly heavy but dry overcast with little measurable daytime precipitation. We are well behind normal rainfall tallies, both for the month and the 'rain year' (by about 25%), but fortunately in the mountain snowpack (our reservoir), snow water equivalent numbers are right around 'normal'.

* Our weather is a westerly flow from the Pacific, but offshore low pressure systems will circulate the weather from the south.

At the office campus, the white decorative cherries are in full bloom but the pink ones are yet to bud. My trees at home are still waiting for some invisible signal, but there are lots of green shoots on the shrubs.

We are also promised a wet weekend. Not having done the mowing and weeding that I should have done last weekend in glorious sunshine means I may have to forgo the necessary mowing, but will really have to make an effort with weeding, even if it means doing so in the rain. At least the ground is soft and the weeds slightly less tenacious.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

This morning’s shopping trip was as quick as I’d hoped it would be. I left home just after 9:35 and my first call was Asda, to pick up some yogurt that I can’t get locally. I then called at the Trafford Centre to get more shopping that we can’t get locally. Finally, I called at the butchers for the pies and meat and despite there being a queue there, I was still home for 11:00!

I spent the afternoon surfing the t’internet and making a list of bits that I want to order for the cellar. I’m hoping to be able to order the plasterboard and cable for the lighting by the end of next week. I also filled in my registration form for open water swimming, which is due to start next month. 

This evening James and Amelia we’re here for tea, which, as I’d mentioned earlier was steak and ale pie, followed by the remains of Wednesday’s cheesecake, it all went down very well.

The evening was rounded off with a nice bottle Cabernet Sauvignon!

Jamie and Beth, enjoy your big trip. 

Goodnight all 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1