The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Rick reminded me that I have a load of washing to do. The first since the installation of the smart meter. I checked and it costs 2-3 pence to boil a kettle but is that good or bad? The kettle is only a few months old so it shouldn't use too much power.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

It is quite likely to be a faulty sensor rather than the cat itself. At least yours just shows a warning light rather than cutting out the ignition when you are doing 70mph on the outside lane of a busy M6.

But also, take the car to someone who really knows them well. Some warning lights have more than one meaning and it's not always covered in the owners' handbook.

The garage didn't manage to find anything wrong. When they milked the car's computer it showed 'undocumented fault' so they checked everything they could visually just in case then when they gave it a test run the warning went out and hasn't come back since. They didn't charge me for this and said that it was probably some sort of temporary glitch of the warning system but if it reoccurred to take the car back ASAP. Fingers crossed......

Didn't get round to ordering the wood for my la**ot but had lunch out at a rather nice pub called The Boot in Cheshire with some ex-school mates and spouses and am about to indulge in what I hope will be the last planning session before starting to build. After ordering the wood I'll get on with building the Midland Centre turntable kit so that it can be built in from the beginning and, hopefully, not present any nasty surprises at a later stage.

TTFN

Dave

Edited by Dave Hunt
Changing some annoying predictive text errors that crept in
  • Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

Just caught the train back to leeds from St Evenage. Now on a bus back home. Interesting mix of people at the funeral.  The wake included pork and black pudding sausage roils.  Excellent! 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 16

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Rick reminded me that I have a load of washing to do. The first since the installation of the smart meter. I checked and it costs 2-3 pence to boil a kettle but is that good or bad? The kettle is only a few months old so it shouldn't use too much power.

Unless there is a fault you always need the same amount of energy to heat the same amount of water. 

They only way of saving energy is not to Overfill the kettle.. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 12

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, AndyID said:

That's definitely the best way to save energy. Not sure if exactly a fault or not, but if the heating element is covered in a layer of scale some energy can be wasted transferring heat to the kettle rather than the water. That's why it's always best to buy a kettle on defurred terms.

Over the years I have resisted this but ..........

........ for goodness sake Andy, give us a groan button.

• Like 4
  • Agree 10
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

Further to my previous post he was telling me that a couple of weeks after I'd ordered my shed another guy has ordered an identical one, same size and lined insulated etc.

He's only going to use it to house a model railway!!!

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

I remember sitting in the departure area at MSP Airport some years using the WiFi on my laptop when the Internet went down and many people rushed to the windows to see Airforce one roll by. George W had just arrived and I also went to watch. All mobile signals went dead and no flights moved till the plane had taxiied to a far corner of the airport and W was in his car cavalcade. Delayed all flights including ours.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Friendly/supportive 5

1 hour ago, TheQ said:

Unless there is a fault you always need the same amount of energy to heat the same amount of water. 

They only way of saving energy is not to Overfill the kettle.. 

A friend put any remaing boiled water into a thermos for the next kettle.  Bit extreme I thought.

• Like 4
  • Agree 12

• RMweb Gold

Evening All 

Back from a Railway tour up north they don't have much in the way of Heritage steam in western side Wensleydale class 20 in orange with a couple of Mk2's 

in one hell of a state easily pleased they are friendly bunch running the show, Keithley & Worth Railway a nice black 5 and a rake of filthy Mk1's and  grumpy bunch with

faces like slapped @rses well I certainly left a couple of chap like that when I asked them why did they have pink loco's.

P!ss de resistance was a GWR welsh tank 5643 in steam made my day at the Boulton Abbey again Mk1's everywhere it looked like a scrap yard our guide told the group

a load of bolleux about this loco being so clean it had an easy life suffice to say he had egg on his face after I had told the group probably where it might have spent it's life. 

I hope no-one on here lives in Bradford you have my sympathy, the tour paid a visit to Tightarse Salts Mill to see the Hockney collection not really my thing but I went along

as we were leaving for home straight after, the surrounding area of the mill was in a rundown state as was several parts of city.

Must get on :superman:F.L.Atcapanwipit :biggrin_mini2:

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

In response to AndyID's note and living in deepest Hertfordshire, we have a very hard water supply; it coming from artesian sources. I am presently imbibing a cylindrical drinking vessel filled with the good old Brazilian (please readers, keep your minds above your navels) from one of those fancy George Clooney coffee machines and I quite routinely have to descale that. The Swiss descaling liquid is Lactic Acid (as in off milk and that which accumulates in people's bodies after strenuous exercise {so they tell me, I wouldn't know}). I use the prescribed routine to descale the coffee machine - usually the results are a clear improvement in flavours from the capsules - and then I transfer the used solution into the kettle, wherein further descaling will occur until all the active ingredients have been consumed or all scale has been removed. If further descaling is required, I make a solution of citric acid - works equally well and similarly doesn't damage the appliances. If following these suggestions, do remember to flush out the acid before you make your next mug of builder's.

Today's trip to northern Leicestershire yielded a very good telescope at a good price. The owners were very helpful, the equipment is generally in good order but it needed to have its mirrors aligned (collimation for those in the know) so that the light paths are parallel. I did that an hour ago but the sky is somewhat misty tonight so I'm not going to be waving my 10" at the moon ce soir - much to the pleasure of my neighbours, I am sure. :o With this new beast available to me, I will be selling my 8" one if anyone is interested but I must point out that the buyer would need to collect it! Tomorrow will be mainly sorting out daughter and SiL's kitchen lighting and preparing their wooden gates for oiling on Wednesday, if the skies permit.

Well done Bill and Peter in the cardiac department. Having been through a coronary infarction, I know what to do but I have never been called upon to assist. Also I'm sure I am not alone in wishing GrandadBob's very committed shed-man a positive outcome from his treatment.

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Goodnight all!

A trip to see Sister Dracs most junior helper first thing tomorrow awaits.

81C the run down area around Salts Millis a world heritage site as oit was a "model village" built by Salt for his workers. School, church, houses but no pub.  On the other side of the river is a large park with a large cricket ground. Nice place to umpire.

Baz

• Like 17
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Talking of hard water my newish (6 months) kettle has already had one dose of de-scaler and looks as if it will require another before long, that is despite filtering all water used in the kettle. I have found that for de-scaling one of the best products is 'Oust' that uses formic acid which is the active ingredient in nettle, wasp and ant stings but perfectly safe. 

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 5