Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Walk to Whitby completed. Slot machines defeated (for once).

Excellent grilled fish (and chips) eaten in the Magpie for a 3 o'clock lunch.

20190424_153612.jpg.e12275e966d1a1d949b2e6734b961e47.jpg

Plaice, cod and haddock (no skate available)

Baz

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, tigerburnie said:

I thought "Grockles" were a West Country phenomena, I thought Norfolk just got invaded by people from Leicester...…………………………………...

We go up to Norfolk occasionally too. Q mentioned white lines. When we visit our friends we seem to go down lanes with grass down the middle . When leaving at night I tend to ignore the sat nav and head for the roads with white lines. 

• Like 3
  • Funny 12

1 hour ago, TheQ said:

Worse were the grockles driving down the narrow local roads with a bit of their car over the white lines.. 

1 hour ago, tigerburnie said:

I thought "Grockles" were a West Country phenomena, I thought Norfolk just got invaded by people from Leicester...…………………………………...

Try the Isle of Wight; they have Grockles, Caulkheads and Overners!

• Agree 2
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, JohnDMJ said:

Try the Isle of Wight; they have Grockles, Caulkheads and Overners!

1 hour ago, tigerburnie said:

I've spent as many years living in the west country,  as I have in Scotland.  I tend to use words from anywhere I've lived.  Although I know few words of the Gaidhlig, my brother is fluent. I'm told when I was little I could converse with the Greek children in Cyprus. Though I know none now. Tha' be right bor

If you go back a bit, one of my grandmothers is from the Ventnor area. 

Norfolk gets invaded by people from anywhere,  on the way back from the dentists, when I left the main road for a single track road with grass occasionally down the middle and sand overlaying the bumpy tarmac from the back of the dunes.  There was a scout leader with his troop... He was Wearing a kilt... 

We do get a lot of Scots holidaying on the broads,  particularly after the start of the Scots school holidays but before the start of the English school holidays. 

Actually most invaders of Norfolk, are not surprisingly from london, we get hoards coming up every Friday night to their holiday homes.. 

• Like 17

16 minutes ago, TheQ said:

I've spent as many years living in the west country,  as I have in Scotland.  I tend to use words from anywhere I've lived.  Although I know few words of the Gaidhlig, my brother is fluent. I'm told when I was little I could converse with the Greek children in Cyprus. Though I know none now. Tha' be right bor

If you go back a bit, one of my grandmothers is from the Ventnor area. 

Norfolk gets invaded by people from anywhere,  on the way back from the dentists, when I left the main road for a single track road with grass occasionally down the middle and sand overlaying the bumpy tarmac from the back of the dunes.  There was a scout leader with his troop... He was Wearing a kilt... 

We do get a lot of Scots holidaying on the broads,  particularly after the start of the Scots school holidays but before the start of the English school holidays. 

Actually most invaders of Norfolk, are not surprisingly from london, we get hoards coming up every Friday night to their holiday homes.. 

It was a bit tongue in cheek, I'm originally from Leicester and when we went on holiday, we were always a crowd, some decided to stay in the County, I still have two uncles living there.

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

I am glad to report that I'm not writing this from a hospital bed although it was a close run thing. On the way out to lunch earlier I was proceeding lawfully at 40 mph along the A217 when a moronic elderly lady pulled halfway across the oncoming two lanes and stopped, I thought to wait for me and others,  then immediately crawled across in front of me. It was quite pleasing to discover that both my reactions and my brakes are still bloody good so we avoided a serious smash.  The Boss does not like or approve of swearing but she said "On this occasion I agree with every word. "

Lunch was excellent, gammon steak, egg and chips for me, fish and chips for The Boss.

Electrician came as promised and we now have a plan.

Time for another beer I think. :drinks:

• Friendly/supportive 19

• RMweb Premium

Had to take SWMBO's car to the VW main agent at Crewe today as the local garage can't make any sense of this warning light that keeps coming on. Even though according to the owner's manual it means something is awry with the catalytic converter, the agents have diagnosed that the problem is caused by something dodgy in the brake system triggering something that results in said light coming on (!!?). The wonder of modern cars. Hence it definitely needs fixing and will only cost in the region of 250 modelling tokens to put right. Bu**er. They'll have the part tomorrow but I'm blowed if I'm going all that way (about 20 miles each way) to collect it as it's my birthday and SWMBO and friend have offered to take the grandkids who are staying with us out for the day so that I can spend it in the workshop; and they say that true love is dead! Hence, when the call comes to say the car is ready I'll gently explain that they'll have to keep it until Friday. To add to the treats I'm also promised a steak dinner followed by chocolate mousse, all washed down with a Chianti Classico. I can feel my arteries hardening just thinking about it but what the heck, it comes but once a year.

Have a good evening/morning/whatever it is where you are and thoughts for the less fortunate.

Dave    

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 16

1 minute ago, Dave Hunt said:

Had to take SWMBO's car to the VW main agent at Crewe today as the local garage can't make any sense of this warning light that keeps coming on. Even though according to the owner's manual it means something is awry with the catalytic converter, the agents have diagnosed that the problem is caused by something dodgy in the brake system triggering something that results in said light coming on (!!?). The wonder of modern cars.

If the light looks like a gearbox, it's often a case of build-up of gunk in the exhaust system. Last time I had this, my local agent just cleaned things out and it went away. I just hadn't used the car enough for 'normal aspiration'!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 7

Guys,

I've realised we haven't heard from Mike for a day or two.  Do we know of a reason?  Is he visiting  Richard Montgomery?

I'm visiting the Nescot and Romford shows on Saturday and Sunday respectively.  Who might I meet?

Bill

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Yes Bill, he's on the good ship Patricia. I think he was joining the ship at Harwich.

I will be at Nescot on Saturday along with Bob 81C and it wouldn't surprise me if ChrisF is there as well. Hope to see you there. :yes:

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Had to take SWMBO's car to the VW main agent at Crewe today as the local garage can't make any sense of this warning light that keeps coming on. Even though according to the owner's manual it means something is awry with the catalytic converter, the agents have diagnosed that the problem is caused by something dodgy in the brake system triggering something that results in said light coming on (!!?).

I've heard of this on a friend's 2.0L diseasall Touran. Is it a way that VW manage to get their emissions down?

• Informative/Useful 7

I've been an infrequent visitor of late and missed much of the Easter weekend.

I moved into my home a little more than two years ago. It is on a street that is rather wide for a dead end street. When I purchased the property, it was abundantly clear that one day the street would connect through a parcel of land to a road on the other side.

That 'one day' is now arriving. A developer has bought the parcel of land where the street dead ends and announced his plans at a community meeting last night.

I could tell that some of my neighbours were taken aback by the idea the the street was designated a collector street (very unsurprising given its width) and has been part of a regional transportation plan for some time with the suitable easements in place. The planned development is not particularly terrifying, the parcel is less than 5 acres and these will be expensive homes, though of course a couple of years of construction activity to endure is less than desirable.

The worst outcome is inevitably the traffic that will result with the road becoming a through road, and in particular, a useful diversion around the twice daily high school log jam on the main road outside my neighbourhood. It should bring some welcome improvements in the form of some helpful traffic signals. Time will tell. 

• Friendly/supportive 17

4 hours ago, tigerburnie said:

In Teignmouth its the Brummies.  You don't hear "moi luvver" any more it's just "yo from Dudleee"

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, lightengine said:

In Teignmouth its the Brummies.  You don't hear "moi luvver" any more it's just "yo from Dudleee"

As I understand it, if you accused a Brummie of being from Dudley or vice versa, you could be in deep trouble. I once said to someone from Birmingham that they had a Black Country accent and it went down like a lead balloon.

Have a peaceful night everyone.

Dave

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, grandadbob said:

Yes Bill, he's on the good ship Patricia. I think he was joining the ship at Harwich.

I will be at Nescot on Saturday along with Bob 81C and it wouldn't surprise me if ChrisF is there as well. Hope to see you there. :yes:

It wouldn't surprise me if Chrisf was there either ...

Chris

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 15

Further investigation with the binos reveals that it's not a pile driver. It's a jackhammer attached to a whopping great excavator that's chiseling away a rock outcrop on the other side of the bay. I may have drive over and have a good nosey ;)

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

The pool was fairly quiet when I first got there, but it got busier later, but thankfully it didn’t impede my swimming and I managed about 100 lengths in total. By the time I’d got out the sun was shining and it had got warm. So a quick walk to the butchers to collect the pies and it was home for a well earned muggertea.

After dinner I finally remembered to place an order at SEFinecast for a chassis and a few spare bits for and upcoming project I’ve got planned. The rest of the afternoon was spent relaxing until the arrival of the grandkids, which as great as it is to see them, really shatters the piece and quiet!

Well the pies went down well, so well that they’ve all asked if they can have them again, which as far as I’m concerned isn’t a problem, they are the nicest pies I’ve had in a long time and I’ve had quite a few. 

It started to rain just before we sat down, whilst we were eating it started to get quite heavy, the. We got some thunder which was followed by a bit of lightning too! Thankfully it didn’t last long, but to be honest, there wasn’t enough really to do the garden any good. 

Goodnight all 

• Like 15