RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Ey up!

Bit damp here but not raining. Off to umpire an U14s T30 match. The Joy's of the ever evolving game of cricket.

Hopefully I can get home to great our friend who is staying overnight once the match is completed. Then it's out for beer, curry, Mark Knopfler concert, more beer before attending the One Day International  tomorrow at Headingley. 

Have as good a day as you can everyone and best wishes especially for all who ail.

Baz

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, JohnDMJ said:

Now then, what about Shakespeare country, is it Wor'ick or (Dionne) War Wick? (Similar to Gwiwer's Southwick). Isn't England a fun country in which to live?

I remember reading the dionne warwick's  family actually say Worrick,  it's only the dumb media that started pronouncing it as War wick . The same in Norwich in the USA,  the old locals call it norrich like in the UK but outsiders and TV say Nor-Wich and this has become prevalent. 

Mooring Awl,  inner Temple Hare, 

5 hours sleep and another two sustained dozing on the sofa.  It would have been more but,  Ben the Border Collie  wanted out. 

It's obviously not been raining for some time but it was a still a very damp doggy bounding through the jungle. 

A bacon lettuce and tomato toastie has been consumed,  Ben  was unsure whether to eat his doggy biccies with bacon fat dripped over them or sit in front of me giving me the big brown eye treatment. 

In the end he gobbled his food down and made it in time to beg the end of my toastie.

In an hour or so I'm off out to finish making  the trailer door.  Then I need to clear the landrover and adjust the fan belts. I'm also intending to use one of the piano hinges on the partition between the cab and van body as the hatch falls out once in a while. 

This weekend  I have to make the base frame of at least one the last two boards,  as I will  need something to be working on at our open day. Also due this weekend,  mow the jungle.

Finished the first Muggacoffee 

Time too.. Make another one. 

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

The sun is trying to make an appearance but a mixture of showers and dry spells is forecast for today.

Not sure yet what I'm doing this morning but later on I'll be watching Quins trying to win at Wasps and hoping Northampton fail at Exeter. Both games kick off at 4.00pm and are being televised but I'll have to record the latter. These results will decide the final place in the semi finals.

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 17
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

Its a little cloudy here in the northwest, but thankfully there isn’t any rain yet, although there is a 60% chance of rain later in the afternoon. 

Breakfast has been consumed and very soon I’ll set off on my short (3/4 mile) walk to the train station to get the train into Manchester. I’ll get off the train at Deansgate Station and cross over the bridge to the old Great Central Station, where I’ll get on a metro-link tram to Victoria Station. I’ll walk a couple of 100 yards to the bus stop where I’ll then get on a vintage bus that will take me to the transport museum, where the exhibition is held. It’s not a huge exhibition but it’s heavily biased towards DCC and there are usually a few seminars about the subject. Trade support is usually quite good too!

Back later. 

• Like 17

59 minutes ago, TheQ said:

I remember reading the dionne warwick's  family actually say Worrick,  it's only the dumb media that started pronouncing it as War wick . The same in Norwich in the USA,  the old locals call it norrich like in the UK but outsiders and TV say Nor-Wich and this has become prevalent. 

You can't believe everything you read. I can stiill remember how she tore into David Jacobs when he pronounced it "war-ick".

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

I'll be watching Quins trying to win at Wasps and hoping Northampton fail at Exeter. Both games kick off at 4.00pm and are being televised but I'll have to record the latter. These results will decide the final place in the semi finals.

Personally, I would prefer a draw at The Ricoh although I have to say that Mr Boyd’s tenure at Franklin’s Gardens has resulted in a massive turnaround for a team / club that had clearly lost its way. I still think that a final between Exeter and Sarries would be the right outcome, just as Quinn’s, Wasps, Glasster and Saints should be in the higher European Championship next year. Whatever happens, we rugby supporters (including any former players) will shake hands and enjoy a few jars afterwards! 

Barbecue successfully charged with patio gas (price made Kinzance’s eyes water a bit, lots of modelling tokens gone!) but cooked inside as precipitation was present locally throughout the early evening. A nice glass of Primitivo raised the spirits in time to follow England’s innings at Trent Bridge before switching to follow some NY yobs yelling borishly around a Long Island golf course, so I gave up on that.

I shall miss the second half of the two rugby matches as I am going to a photo shoot opportunity where we hope to capture images of some birds of prey, including owls at dusk. The weather gods need to smile upon us! Commiserations to those suffering or dealing with suffering and enjoyment to those attending events whatever the sector / subject. To the rest, “lay back and think of England” (other countries may of course be substituted). TTFN.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Quite warm here this morning, sun and showers predicted by the seaweed twirlers.

8 hours ago, pH said:

Thanks pH, I'm not sure that Andy would approve of us using unofficial emoji's, perhaps we could suggest a review of the emojis when Andy has the time. Muggatee to be drunk then off to Brentwood to dispose of even more modelling tokens.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Morning All. I would say good morning but during the night the Hippodrome gorilla visited with the result that the bedroom looks like the aftermath of a hurricane in a clothes shop, the amount of modelling tokens in my wallet has taken a severe bashing, my head has been repeatedly hit with a mallet and the contents of the bottom of a parrot's cage has been emptied into my mouth. This has nothing to do, you understand, with my having spent yesterday in a London pub drinking with a large number of ex-RAF mates. My prediction about running out of brownie points has proved accurate as SWMBO has just reminded me that some shopping needs doing.......

The Magpie cafe in Whitby - yum, yum.

Sorry I too got your birthday wrong Rick but I was misled by (name withheld)......

I did my RAF basic training in 1966 at South Cerney near Cirencester and remember some of the locals simply referring to it as C'ncesta.

Have a good day all. If I survive I'll be back later.

Dave

• Like 3
  • Funny 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

11 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

Och aye.  But neither is the "ch" sounded as in Chuff or Chauffeur which are definitely soft. 

Many thanks for the birthday wishes here and elsewhere.  I have completed 62 laps of the big yellow thing which has been conspicuous by its absence in my sky today after gracing it for most of the past week.  I have also been recovering from Lurgie MacLurgface which has put a bit of a downer on proceedings.  SWMBO had carefully arranged her trip back from Cornwall yesterday to be day one of a "box" which, as anyone who has worked on or been in close proximity to the railway will know is a 48-hour pass.  Today she had intended to take me by train using the second day of said box to "somewhere nice, maybe Bristol" and provide a picnic lunch.  Aside from the fact that I would have chosen Bath over Bristol any day I was barely awake this morning and there was no way I would have been fit enough to make the trip.  Clever thinking on her part stymied by life getting in the way.

I managed to get onto two feet by lunchtime and have spent much of the afternoon coughing on the sofa.  I received a surprise visit from former Neighbour (Upstairs) who is back here for a long weekend of hard partying with her mates who all finish university either this week or next.  St. Mary's has very short terms as we learned the first year we were here.  There was a plan for Birthday Drinks with them all but I really wasn't up to it and in the end they were partying so hard I was overlooked in the alcoholic haze anyway.  They all piled out to their Student Union at around 9pm and I expect to be woken at silly o'clock as they stumble back and form an orderly queue for the vomitorium. Ah student life - been there done that claim to have enjoyed most of it.  And I certainly remember some of the hangovers though not necessarily how I got them nor what happened between certain hours.  

So a quiet night in was had.  As quiet as you can get with Neighbours (All Around) drinking hard and fast, jumping on the floor and pumping up the music volume.  We know it's only one night and it doesn't go on late so we let it go.  And I have completed the required paperwork for my AGM tomorrow which I had hoped to do yesterday.  

So all being well I shall set forth at oh-eleven-thousand hours of the forenoon for Woking, though there won't be any decent Woking done at my age that's for sure.  My best wishes to all and particular regards and thoughts to those missing and or unwell. Yes I'm not that well right now but there are far more serious situations among our number and so far I seem to be bouncing slowly back.  See ya.

Apologies for the late Birthday wishes, glad MacLurgie didn't ruin the day completely and you enjoyed the part upstairs lol

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Southwick on the Brighton west coast line has always been South wick.  In over 30 years in Worthing I have never heard it pronounced any other way. I am guessing Gwiwer was referring to the Southwick near to Portsmouth.

Worthing was pronounced Worting by the Irish Senior Railman that worked there in the 70's.  I believe there is a Worting junction but don't think he caused any confusion.  His announcements of "the London train will be 8 vice 12, reverse loaded" or similar often got some strange looks.

We had friends came down to Wellington years ago who had visited Wiver liss com bee on their way.

Edited by lightengine
  • Like 10

West Cumbria also has its own pronunciation oddities.  Distington is said as Dissington, while Torpenhow is said as  Trepenna, Baggrow as Baggra.  I could go on!

Yesterdays run turned into a fine day, so more gardening done, with peas, radish, spinach and turnip seeds planted.  Today so far has seen planting out of leek plants.  This proved difficult, as I kept making holes for them with my dinner, only for soil to fall back into the holes, as it was so dry.

Last night, our MRC had a Fish and Chip run on the Ratty.  A very pleasant evening was had, with a good meal at Dalegarth.  It was the first time I have been on one of the Fish and Chip runs, and hopefully won’t be the last.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Simon G said:

Today so far has seen planting out of leek plants.  This proved difficult, as I kept making holes for them with my dinner, only for soil to fall back into the holes, as it was so dry.

No wonder you've had a problem Simon, your dinner has got you into a stew!

Signed,

Old Dibber

• Like 1
  • Funny 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

13 minutes ago, Simon G said:

West Cumbria also has its own pronunciation oddities.  Distington is said as Dissington, while Torpenhow is said as  Trepenna, Baggrow as Baggra.  I could go on!

But isn't Torpenhow just Hill hill hill?

• Like 7
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
On 17/05/2019 at 08:17, Dave Hunt said:

Leominster being Limster

Lemster, I thought - but I spent a few years of extreme youth in Shrewsbury so perhaps that's the Shrewsbury pronunciation. 

And that's Shrose-bury not Shrews-bury. It's not a rodent cemetery. 

• Like 11
  • Agree 2

13 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

And that's Shrose-bury not Shrews-bury. It's not a rodent cemetery. 

Unless they've been tamed?

BTW, how many of us use 'shew' as the past tense of 'show'?

• Like 9
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, JohnDMJ said:

But isn't Torpenhow just Hill hill hill?

Pendle Hill in Lancashire is also Hill hill Hill

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Mor...oh. Late.

Sipping it down here so had breakfast out then shopping duties. :(

Not sure what other orders there are today, existing plans ruined by the weather's refusal to co-operate. 

Going out for a Thai meal tonight in the Big City down south with Jayne, then next weekend TT starts with the pre-TT Classic racing on Friday. Whoop! :D That came around quickly.

• Like 16

13 hours ago, grandadbob said:

Yep, blame me Phil, it's all my fault. I can take it. I get blamed for most things that happen around here and in the world generally.

Just got my third quote for the garden which makes the original one that I thought excessive seem positively reasonable. Now waiting for the first one  to come back to let me know when he can do it as he is much in demand and also contracts for designers at Hampton Court and Chelsea flower shows.

I think that I have said before that I got the blame when anything went wrong for one of two reasons (a) I was there or (b) I wasn't there:huh: 

Night awl 

• Like 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8