Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Thanks to you all for the birthday wishes. I dug out a few bits for the club stall as did the exhibition manager. The items that he found were some original Hornby Zero-1 controllers in their boxes and a 1950's/60's building toy. The building toy consisted of individual bricks similar to ceramic tiles with wood card and plastic roofing doors and windows. The whole thing was held together by PVA and the intention was that after soaking to release the components they could be re-used for another building. I had a similar set when I was about 9 years old, the problem was the cardboard components didn't take kindly to the frequent soakings. This was what made the one donated to the club stand unusual that in spite of the fact that it had obviously been used the wood and cardboard components were intact. One of the exhibitors pointed out that this could make it quite valuable so its going on e-bay instead. I experimented with an 'honesty box' for the sale of magazines, I just told people to put what they liked into the box for any magazines that they wanted. Mixed results, more cash was received but we were left with more magazines to put in the recycling than usual, work that one out?

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Well the weather has been absolutely glorious, so I ended up spending far more time outside than I’d originally planned, but I am now well past the half way mark with the patio and it’s looking a lot better too. The plan for tomorrow was to start stripping the varnish of the front door, ready for sanding and filler etc before it’s primed, undercoated and painted for the very first time. But the long range weather forecast has put paid to that, so I might do a bit more work on the patio instead, you never know, I might even get it finished! Once it’s done, I can then move the furniture (which is currently stacked up on the path) back and then think about finally getting rid of the old path and get the stuff for the new one ordered, once I’ve measured up exactly how much I need.

Goodnight all 

• Like 19

25 minutes ago, roundhouse said:

Tomorrow hoping the California Zephyr isn't as late as it was today otherwise it will be an early hours arrival into Salt Lake City and San early start on Convention tours.

If you have a hire car (and the time of course) you might take Guardsman Pass from Solitude over to Deer Valley and Park City. Part of the road is gravel but you won't need four-wheel drive. There are lots of great views and alpine meadows and it doesn't take much time.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 9

Morning All,

It is a nice bright morning today, and not too warm.  However, it is forecast to get quite a bit hotter later on.

In other news - the coffee machine in the office has broken down...  :blink:

Have a good day everyone.

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 13

8 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

John, the North Face brand of climbing equipment and outdoor wear is well known here (indeed so for many years). I am the proud owner of a North Face climbing pack and 'mummy' sleeping bag which would take me quite some time to locate in the garage. I can't claim to have used them often and I no longer fit in the bag.

For many years I assumed a reference to the North Face of Everest (the Tibetan/Chinese route) in the brand name.  I was incorrect. The story of the brand is listed here which refers to the "The North Face half dome logo ".

This clarifies that the logo is a representation the North Face of Half Dome in Yosemite. I did also google this reference which says much the same thing.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 14

• RMweb Premium

Mooring Awl, Inner Temple Hare,

5 hours sleep plus 2 of intermittant dozing on the sofa.

Came to work on the Motorscooter today, felt quite chilly the bike registered 10C..

Now puzzling over the boats boom, at some point someone has changed it to centre purchase for the main sheet, hence the slight bend in the middle. This type of boom was never meant for that, whereas the modern boom currently in being fitted to new boats of the Kestrel class is. However at the same time someone has fitted an internal outhaul purchase, modifying the rear of the boom extensively. Some thought is going to be needed to work out  a way for getting what I want out of it, it's a fairly thin section, I need to keep some strength in it..

A Kestrel Dinghy is like this.. http://www.kestrel.org.uk/   which is a very nice boat, but much to physically active for me these days.

The Kestrel  is nothing like the type of boat I'm fitting the mast and boom to but as it's my own design I can doo what I like..

My design is the same length as the Kestrel but a cross between

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=international+2.4mr+yacht+&&view=detail&mid=C478BB20C77E0932778CC478BB20C77E0932778C&&FORM=VRDGAR

And this

Time to... go do some work..

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

15 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Morning all from a sunny Charente.   Grass cutting awaits before it gets too warm.  Then during the heat of the afternoon the fosse is to be emptied of 8 cubic metres of waste. I suspect that it will be a nose holding time.      Not a lot got done yesterday except that my modelling tools were given a task.   Beth had lost a toot from her denture whilst we were away.   She found an old denture in a box so I was tasked with transferring a tooth from the old set to replace the missing one in the new set.   Araldite and some 1mm brass rod have done the job.   The said gnashers are now about to be given a test run.  I may have some slight adjustments to make after the breakfast test.

Regards to all.

Jamie

A fang failure may involve a visit to the fosse.

Bill

• Funny 17

• RMweb Premium

An exciting day awaits once muggocoffee has been consumed. First taking Dad's car to be repaired (at long last) then taking SWMBO's car to the local garage to have a 'funny noise' examined. Shortly after that comes domestic supplies shopping time followed by returning library books then I have to get down to some writing that I need to do but have been procrastinating about. At least it's a nice day.

Hope your day/ night/ somewhere in between goes well and congratulations to Neil.

Dave

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

It’s another dull start to the day here in the northwest of England. Breakfast has been consumed and Sheila is now herself getting ready for her Zumba class. Once she’s set off, I will head to the back garden and continue working on the patio. Once it’s finished I will leave it for a few days to set, before giving it all another good clean with the pressure washer. In between that I will measure up the new path so I can get what is required ordered. 

If you have any sunshine enjoy it, back later. 

• Like 17

Morning all, glorious sunshine, but a lot of wet forecast for the week ahead, off to the hospital later, when I had a camera down my throat last year, some polyps were found and tested, came back clear, but another check up now required. It was a rather brutal experience with my chucking up and them just carrying on, hope it's a better go this time around.

• Friendly/supportive 19

• RMweb Gold

Morning All 

Bright and fresh here at the moment congrats' to Neil on your good new.

I think I will take the car for a wash at the Polish washers It's filthy using it as a truck the past few weeks and I'm thinking about trading it in.

After yesterday's blitz I now I have space in the garage I can now stack the boxes of Her rubbish and the remainder of mine stuff up and start

moving the next lot of kitchen cupboards to the skip hopefully if there is no dog sitting this week the job should be finished and I must get some

selfies off to this dating website several ladies have asked for them.

Breaky awaits once I've put bread in the toaster and switch the kettle on. 

enjoy your day :superman: P. Etwalker. :biggrin_mini2:

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Mawning dawned a while back, aided by the shrill sounds of refuse recyclers compacting the many glass bottles accumulated in the time since last collected. Yesterday's plans were not adhered to due to precipitation that didn't end until 16:30 so geriatric golf is now this morning and the weather looks rather accommodating. House guests have all been served their muggerteas or muggercoffees so I await the arrival of the golfing one in shipshape and Bristol fashion. The Ladies of This Manor are intending to tour Osborne House later, possibly imitating dowager duchesses but I don't know.

Last evening's meal was very pleasant and involved sitting overlooking Spithead with much talking and some nice extra company in the form of son-in-law's brother and his wife - both charming people and that compensated for the pain felt by KZ's wallet from the occasion. One of the party leaves tomorrow so we will be sharing a last meal with her at a restaurant this evening.

Enjoy your days in peace peoples.

• Like 19

On 04/07/2019 at 21:50, PhilJ W said:

Evening all from Estuary-Land. I am effectively confined to barracks. I am unable to get my car off of the drive due to vehicles parked either side leaving just about a cars width and another car right opposite my drive parked half on the pavement. The one on the right is a high top transit van that means that when I pull off my drive I cant see any vehicle approaching from that direction and the drivers cant see me.

The solution is "easy peasy".

Trade in your civilian vehicle for a second hand military Alvis Saracen or Saladin (such as here: https://tanks-alot.co.uk/military-vehicles-for-sale/) and then nudge the offending vehicles out of the way. Some expensive body work (for them) and added patina (for you) later - they will get the message.

• Agree 3
  • Funny 13

Greetings All,

Glad that ChrisF's march went off OK. Well done, mate!

Yesterday saw a thawing of diplomatic relations with Mrs iD (over the illegal annexation of the modelleisenbahnarbeitszimmer - more later) and we conducted a joint military exercise (for those not paying attention, a "military" in Switzerland is an obstacle/exercise course for both dog and his/her handler). Lucy placed a respectable 34/51 and Schotty a very decent 22/51.

Despite a (temporary) thaw in diplomatic relations, unfortunately, the situation in the illegally annexed territories of the modellesenbahnarbeitszimmer, is deteriorating. Reports from my double agent "L" (who is posing as a loyal pet) have been smuggled out  and make for distressing reading: the cultural heritage sites of The Georgian Terrace House and The Brunel Pub have been closed off behind barriers and left to rot; what's even worse is that innocent Hornby, Bachmann, Heljan and Dapol models have been locked up in secure cupboards with no foreseeable hope of release. Furthermore, Comrade Schotty - Mrs iD's "Head of Security" (a.k.a "The Black and White Beast") - makes sure that no-one can even get near the glass fronted prisons, savagely licking to death anyone who dares approach. It's heartbreaking to see all the Blue and Red & Yellow Boxes folornly languishing behind glass - so close, yet so far...

Therefore, I am appealing to the ERs to help me acquire funds for the creation of a "Liberation Army" to free my models from the ignoble and savage tyranny of Mrs iD's HolzKünstlerin regime. Please send all donations (no matter how large) to:

"Werner"

Behind the Migros Take Away

Basel SBB Station

Thank you fellow ERs

p.s. Though my back has been playing silly as of late, it is my right knee that will be going under the knife (again) in August, Sod!

Edited by iL Dottore
typo
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium

Getting a second crew was always difficult, especially as with spending many years on shift work which didn't correspond to days of the week. After Enterprising with the RAFSA,  For many years I Lasered, but sitting crunched up by the Mast in light weather was getting too painful. I did borrow a phantom and won all the races it was borrowed it for. If  able to go back to that sort of boat, that would be the boat..

I always wanted to design and build my own boat,  going to Saudi gave me the chance. Luckily  chosing to build a boat where you sit fore and aft,  no more leaning out knackering your back.

If I hadn't built this boat I would now be buying an International 2.4MR.

It's looking like there will be more major surgery for the boat, as I think the helm position needs moving  Aft between 12 and 18 inches..It solves various rigging problems and access problems by doing so. The work involves cutting a 3 inch thick by 12 inch long section of layered glass fibre and ply.. I'd better get some blades in..

• Like 16