Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

8 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

Evening all from Estuary-Land.

Indeed it was the first Super Dreadnought according to the speaker. He illustrated his talk with a picture of all four in line at the Battle of Jutland where Thunderer fired off quite a few shells to little effect.

That would have been a later vessel. Thunderer was the last of the class to be scrapped in 1928, such was the advance in naval technology.

or the impact of the Washington Treaty.

Bill

• Like 3
  • Agree 8
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

I’ve been able to manage a quick look in. Vickie was picked up early and she and Ava and Evie have been dropped off at her friend’s place. Sheila is upstairs getting ready, she may be some time, meanwhile I have a few minutes spare before I get ready. 

Back later, (possibly)

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. I've had a bit of a cold over the past couple of days and last night it turned into a full blown lurgi. Don't feel so bad this morning except being knackered by the lack of sleep.

1 hour ago, bbishop said:

or the impact of the Washington Treaty.

Bill

I'd forgotten that, it resulted in the Nelson being built in its odd 'cut-and-shut' form. Ironically the treaty was largely ignored by many countries. One thing that it didn't cover was aircraft carriers.

• Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 10

The cost of maintaining the fleet and the Washington Treaty, reduced the capital ships to the three King George V (first class) and the Elizabeths and Sovereigns (five each).  The KGVs were replaced by the Admirals in the 1920s but Conqueror was retained as a target ship and de-gunned.  She somehow survived until 1939 (lousy shooting?) when she was re-armed with 4" and wooden 13.5".  She was used as a decoy ship, including Malta convoys, where she could at least provide anti aircraft cover.  Scuttled off Omaha beach as part of the Mulberry harbour.

Bill

• Informative/Useful 16

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

Was that the one that supposedly fired the first shot at D-Day?

If so my father in law was on it at that time as an eighteen year old radar operator. He died two and a half years ago at the age of 90, not making 91 by a couple of weeks.

No that Orion was scrapped in the 1920's along with the majority of our dreadnoughts.

Jamie

• Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, bbishop said:

The cost of maintaining the fleet and the Washington Treaty, reduced the capital ships to the three King George V (first class) and the Elizabeths and Sovereigns (five each).  The KGVs were replaced by the Admirals in the 1920s but Conqueror was retained as a target ship and de-gunned.  She somehow survived until 1939 (lousy shooting?) when she was re-armed with 4" and wooden 13.5".  She was used as a decoy ship, including Malta convoys, where she could at least provide anti aircraft cover.  Scuttled off Omaha beach as part of the Mulberry harbour.

Bill

That was actually Centurion Bill. When they towed it out to Normany it needed some steam to operate the steering gear. Plymouth dockyard IIRC mounted a redundant loco on the aft deck as a stationary boiler. I've no idea what the loco was and have never seen any reference to it's ID. It would be nice to know. I believe that bits of Centurion are still off Arromances. I suspect that all the armour has gone from metal mining for pre nuclear age steel.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 13

4 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Good morning all.   Nice and quiet weather wise but cool here. Our house guests have now departed.  Shiela is an absolute co trol freak and I have quite enjoyed doing some quiet teasing. When we go out in the car she always wants the destination address so that she can navigate using her phone from the back seat. Somehow the information is never provided.  The rest of the morni g has been spent ru ni g around sorti g prescription problems, 1 visit to the GP and two to the pharmacy.  It's the builders merchants this afternoon  then the mo thly quiz tonight.

Regards to all.

Jamie

You having trouble with the letter N/n on your keyboard, Jamie?

Best, Pete.

• Like 6
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, trisonic said:

Best, Pete.

I reckon that he is usi g his ipad or similar. hes just missi g the ' ' and catchi g the space bar I do that a lot:D

Morning all from a cold and overcast Surrey. Still not been into the shed this morning. I have fitted a low wattage tubular heater to keep the temperature up but will require a bigger one to assist when its really cold.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

14 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Good morning all.   Nice and quiet weather wise but cool here. Our house guests have now departed.  Shiela is an absolute co trol freak and I have quite enjoyed doing some quiet teasing. When we go out in the car she always wants the destination address so that she can navigate using her phone from the back seat. Somehow the information is never provided.  The rest of the morni g has been spent ru ni g around sorti g prescription problems, 1 visit to the GP and two to the pharmacy.  It's the builders merchants this afternoon  then the mo thly quiz tonight.

Regards to all.

Jamie

Best, Pete.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

A_e_sfc_color.png

This is the analysis I was referring to, earlier. Lorenzo is marked "Storm" - the arrow is direction of movement.  If you follow the isobars to the NW they link up with Greenland. For anyone unaware isobars link equal pressure and the winds follow them (rather simplistic). The closer they are together (like around Lorenzo) the greater the windspeed.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
Anyone who had a fart
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 14

38 minutes ago, roundhouse said:

I reckon that he is usi g his ipad or similar. hes just missi g the ' ' and catchi g the space bar I do that a lot:D

Morning all from a cold and overcast Surrey. Still not been into the shed this morning. I have fitted a low wattage tubular heater to keep the temperature up but will require a bigger one to assist when its really cold.

I've been using a cheap Gardman greenhouse heater. It has a primitive thermostat and will bring my shed up to 18c from 0c in an hour or so. 

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, trisonic said:

Dontcha miss going via Anchorage? Crossing the Date Line etc?

Best, Pete.

Aditi very nearly booked us onto a cruise for 2020 that went from Alaska to Japan and Korea including a Date Line crossing. . However it clashed with when she has to stay with MiL due to her sister’s holiday plans. We will go to Iceland instead. 
Tony

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 9

Greetings all from LBG where it is distinctly cool (my weather app suggests 13 for London) but it felt cooler, The blue skies of this mornjng have given way to grey clouds although they are still fairly high.

I always thought that wind moved from high pressure to low pressure and so effectively spiralled around into the low and out of a high due to  the Coriolis effect. But then meteorology was not my forte at A level - I hadn't done physics so it remained pretty much a mystery

Our forecasts have indicated we'll get cold air from the Greenland/Iceland direction and from the radio this morning it seems that rural frosts were as far south as Oxfordshire.

I haven't been to Bedford for a good 20 years or so. I think that the last time I went was to the rugby at Goldington Road (Saints vs Bedford). It was a big crowd considering we were mostly standing at pitchside. I think it was one of the seasons where Northampton had been relegated and were on the way back up, I seem to recall the match was pretty one sided. No doubt we drank  some Charlie Wells. It would have been rude not to! We never went to the beer festival there as getting back would not have been straightforward.  I have been to a number in Northampton on Frog Island / Abington Park.

It's nice to see pictures of Pacific City. I wanted to stop there for lunch non our drive south but the place seemed rammed and we couldn't see any easy parking.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Aditi very nearly booked us onto a cruise for 2020 that went from Alaska to Japan and Korea including a Date Line crossing. . However it clashed with when she has to stay with MiL due to her sister’s holiday plans. We will go to Iceland instead. 
Tony

Mrs NB and myself went Tokyo-Vancouver two years ago. 6 straight days at sea passing the Aleutian Islands.

The clock went forward 2 hours on one day and an hour for four other days.

We had two Tuesdays...……….

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 15
  • Funny 3