The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. A tad wet last night but the rain has now departed and so has Arthur Itis. Must remember to stock up with modelling tokens for tomorrows toy fair. Other things to do so I'll be back later.

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, chrisf said:

Tomorrow I say farewell to Virgin Trains West Coast, who will take me to and from Manchester for the show.  This means another purposeful stride to the bus station for the 07.30 X5 to MK and making breakfast before I set out as there is precious little chance of finding anything decent in voyage.   In theory I could rise again on Sunday morning, fresh as a daisy recovering from a dose of weedkiller, and head for Peterborough.  I've done two shows in two days before and it puts too great a strain on the superhuman qualities that some attribute to me.

Best wishes to all

Chris

You're lucky Chris, to avoid the possibility of having to race from the Southeastern platforms at St. Pancras to platform 2 at Kings Cross I've got to leave home at 05.45 to catch the 05:59 Highspeed to St. Pancras.

Train (diesel hauled) is due depart  Kings Cross at 08:15 and arrive at Manchester Victoria (no long platform available at Piccadilly) at 13:12 so hope to be at the Manchester Show by 13:45.

Not sure what to have for breakfast on the train. Kippers or a Full English? Decisions!

Keith

• Like 18
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I've arranged to take my sailing compatriot to the SC just for a trip out on Sunday.. The chances of seeing sailing are......

Not a lot, minimum windspeed 23, top in excess of 50mph..

At least we can have bacon butties..

The second to last 1 G ohm measurement is just settling..

Toolbox design is now complete, glueing and screwing start tomorrow.

I need to ring the Landrover garage when I get home to see hows it going.

After that it's MRC Night, which may or may not require a diversion via the art group to drop SWMBO off.

Now waiting for the last 1 G Ohm resistor to settle, then there are about 25 pages of spreadsheets to update..

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

The PH has just rung up asking if I will give him a hand to shift a sofa tomorrow.

Having agreed, I now find the sofa is in Leamington Spa.

Providing we get a reasonable start time, it will tie in nicely with a trip to Rodington (on the way back from PH Grange) to visit the Mince pie and Steam event.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. I enjoyed Johns blog about Wodney the wiendeer, the comments about the human equivalent of WW brought back memories of before I retired and makes me so glad that I did. Can't be bothered to cook anything tonight so a trip down to the chippy shortly.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 17

4 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Domestic Engineering afternoon.

The NHN household (being somewhat bijou) has one of those Dyson cordless vacuums which has served well for two or three years, but has recently shown signs of the battery having died.  Did some you-toobing which suggested it was probably full of muck, and so the great strip down started.  it was indeed clogged in places you didn't know existed.  it was better, but not signed off for traffic by the boss, who reckoned it's duration was still nothing like it should be.  (Steady at the back). 

So the powered head bit was also taken into the shops as it has its own motor andseemed tight, therefore consuming lots of the Q's amps, which initially frustrated the on-call fitter as he didn't have a Torx No,7 bit - we don't do such tiny things as a rule.  So a trip into Royal Ramsey for a suitable device, and back to the bench (work type, not the other type I used to face weekly in old employ) and there was the culprit.  Half a mile of Mrs NHN hair wrapped into every bearing, despite rubber seals etc to stop exactly that happening.  Fixed.  :D

My reward?  Vacuum the house to prove it works. #sigh#  :banghead:

if you attach a Flowbee to the Dyson you won't have that problem again.

• Funny 17

• RMweb Gold

Evening All

Where did the day go spent 6 hours with the dog today he was happy until I started to pull his lips up at the side he growled then snapped I was waiting for it he got a tap on the nose for the growl I tried it again

with no growl he's a quick learner.:nono:

Slapped #rse summonsed me to attend a meeting via a daughter she went into one about not sending money to her Divorce solicitor I asked for an invoice and didn't get one and I had not replied to a questionnaire   

from the I didn't get that asked why she used these bunch of Hunts as you seem to attract that type of person even your boyfriend is one she left the house steaming.:girldevil:

Just got a lovely email from a new lady friend setting up a date for next week. :wub:  a replacement for Fag Ash Lil from earlier in the week.

TV beckons enjoy your weekend :superman:I.M.Swooning :biggrin_mini2:

GDB don't forget your pudding bowl.

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium

We do have a Meile Cat & Dog vacuum Tony, which is superb but it is relegated to shed spare due to the inconvenience of a mains lead.  Apparently.

We no longer have a cat, and Mrs NHN having long hair is a recent thing, not sure why as it is better not to enquire too closely about such matters.  My hair is seldom more than 10mm long!  The convenience of short hair suits me nowadays, although it has been much longer in the past.  The 70's for instance....

• Like 19

Ack, very late check in on POETS!

Yesterday a loooonnnggggg rehearsal as we had the "standard", a "quick review" of some music as we're doing the accompaniment of a choir members' Christmas music CD Sunday afternoon, followed by rehearsal for the reconciliation service Sunday early evening!

Didn't get home till after 10:30PM - way later than I should be allowed to be out :jester:

Today up briskly to attend the company winter party/town hall meeting starting at 9AM. Local office members convened at an excellent establishment for breakfast, the internet broadcast company meeting, then lunch and Bocce for an hour. Suitably sated returned to attempt to work for a couple more hours.

Full calendar this weekend;

Tonight neighborhood winter party (maybe to early to call it "Christmas"??)

Tomorrow evening (leaving the day free - FAT CHANCE!) choir Christmas party, officially designated that.

Sunday morning family cookie baking/production, last year seems we made about a million of the things :O

Sunday early afternoon, back choir member at Christmas concert/CD recording

Sunday late afternoon, sing at reconciliation service

Sunday evening, probably watching "National Lampoon - Christmas Vacation" to start the Christmas movie viewing cycle :)

-8 first thing, early afternoon now and still only -5 though sunny - and this is "good" compared to what's forecast for next week...

Tuesdays expected high is -16C with an overnight low of -28 - that's what you call sodding cold :O

Tally ho...

• Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 3

40 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

We do have a Meile Cat & Dog vacuum Tony, which is superb but it is relegated to shed spare due to the inconvenience of a mains lead.  Apparently.

We no longer have a cat, and Mrs NHN having long hair is a recent thing, not sure why as it is better not to enquire too closely about such matters.  My hair is seldom more than 10mm long!  The convenience of short hair suits me nowadays, although it has been much longer in the past.  The 70's for instance....

10mm!!?? You're bragging again!

• Funny 16

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, New Haven Neil said:

Full head of it too.   Not saying too much about the colour though. :P

A lot of us are now silver surfers:mellow:

A pleasant day with lunch with fellow modellers in Guildford after spending a few modelling tokens in Kernow. I now have 009 mainline track and turnouts to lay once the boards are built.

Back home I fitted the xmas lights, not in the house but around the shed canopy. I hope it doesnt annoy the flats next door but for now they are switched off as the plug needs to be inside the shed as it doesnt fit in the waterproof double socket enclosure. Thats a job one morning  whislt its warmer.

• Like 18

I noticed George Clooney has gone grey, so thought I'd have mine dyed silver to give me that distinguished look...……………………………………………………...not buying that huh...……………………………………….funnily enough nor does anyone else.

If I leave it long it starts looking yellow, that sort of nicotine yellow, not a good look sadly. I went over 25 years without a hair cut, now I have as many as 2 a year these days...…………..

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 4