RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, BoD said:

‘Talking of Facebook I have recently contacted one or two members thereon. Originally it was in order to see the video of those numpties with the 8x4 baseboard.  I noticed there are quite a few other members of ER also on Facebook and so I may fire out a few more  requests.   

This is purely because I would like to think I could still keep in touch with friends here  if anything ever happened to RMweb. Unlikely I know, but on past experience and with recent goings on.........

There's plenty of railway modelling groups on there as well. Pity that they've deemed fit to make it such a PITA to look up your groups.

• Informative/Useful 7

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Also a couple of soft toys that I intend to give to my friends terrier dog and a chihuahua that they are caring for.   I wonder how long the soft toys will last?

What did my little furry friends ever do to you?

:cry: :cry:

Expect a visit from Uncle Frank....

• Like 1
  • Funny 15

Quiet eve last night.  Terrible telly programmes so off to bed early.  No real noise until close to the witching hour and then only a few muffled bangs.  Even the cat slept through it all at the bottom of our bed so a good start to 2020.  Must get used to writing 2020. 2020..............

Brian.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ozexpatriate said:

The biggest mistake of course is the calculation of year 1. Even today there is no consistent scholarly agreement as to when it should be (somewhere around 1BC - 6BC, probably 4 BC). Add to that the fact that at the time the numbering was reset to Anno Domini (originally imagined in 525 AD) the mathematical concept of zero was unknown in Europe. Plus there is the complication that the medieval counting of the year began on March 25 (Lady Day / Annunciation) instead of the next January 1. (From a medieval perspective the year we think of as the 2,020th year of our Lord began on March 25 2019*.)

I have read somewhere that the problem with what year was 1 AD was due to a monk, tasked with the calculation, making a mistake about the number of Roman Emperors.  The year of Jesus's birth is given quite accurately in yhe Gospels relating to an Emperor.  They needed to work forward from there and apparently one Emperor got forgotten.

Enough of such things.  I have just sampked the Aberfeldy that Beth gave me for Christmas it's gone down very nicely indeed.

Jamie

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

48 minutes ago, AndyID said:

Whether or not it's actually a new decade might be debatable but there is no denying we are now in the 20's.

Will "The Charleston" make a big come-back? I'm pretty sure my knees are beyond it if it does.

IMHO, 2020 is the first year of the new decade. Its completion will be marked when we increment to 2021.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, JohnDMJ said:

IMHO, 2020 is the first year of the new decade. Its completion will be marked when we increment to 2021.

That's OK if you believe the first decade only lasted nine years and ended in 9 AD.

• Agree 7

We can only read in horror the story from MAF.  Sure we sympathise as we sit and read miles away and our area is not without its tragedies but not on the scale of these infernos.  You wonder if there will be any people, animals or places left after they pass; not much for sure if any of our recent conflagrations are anything to go by.  Pray for rain maybe but sadly the time isn't right no matter what the climate change may have brought.  The sad part is will there be any changes made to combat this perennial problem for Australia.

Brian.

• Like 1
  • Agree 15

Well, that's it over at this end of the year; Christmas and New Year have been successfully (5.2 return on my 15 day Swiss pass!) spent in Switzerland and both ChrisF and I depart homeward tomorrow morning! Whilst ChrisF is 'going with the herd' and spending tomorrow night in Köln before returning home on Friday, I shall be bidding them farewell at Zürich in an attempt to be in my own bed tomorrow evening (subject to SNCF / RATP in France! - wish me luck, PLEASE!)

Whatever passes for reality and / or normality looms!

Let's see what happens in 2020; I might be re-posting this next year, having done it all again!

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Well that’s the first day of 2020 over and it's back to some sort of normality tomorrow, as Sheila will be returning to her Zumba classes after the festive break, it may come as a shock to the system. 

Goodnight all 

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 minutes ago, BR60103 said:

Isn't that the Internet?

The Internet provides the communication between your computer/tablet/phone and the RMweb computer. It looks like the RMweb computer is having some problems.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1