The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Just lost my first post into cyber space what a ######################################################## web site this is .

SOD IT.

• Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mike Bellamy said:

I guess that will be at one of the huge parcel hubs at East Midlands Airport. I can be there in half hour and can pick it up for you - I fancy a trip to the seaside - but is it essential travel . . . ?

Mike

A very long journey.. DE is the two letter code for Deutschland, just checked,  they're in Aschaffenburg, Bavaria. :D

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Opened up Farcebook this morning to find 182 applicants to the local history group! Thats why I'm here a bit late. I usually check the groups that the applicants belong to as this often indicates that they are local and one had several shared groups with myself but none of them local, mostly railway groups (he was local anyway). It took well over an hour to induct them all into the group which is now approach 3500 members. The Milliput that I ordered has arrived so a bit of modelling may commence, though not involving parallel strips of metal. A couple of dioramas for displaying some car and lorry models. The airline industry has been in decline since 9/ll. Not only did that event discourage many from flying but people realised that by the clear skies when there were few aircraft flying how polluting air travel was. 

Edited by PhilJ W
Fat finger syndrome.
  • Like 15

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

Indeed KZ, thankfully the days of crawling around in double-bottoms and duct keels are over (I was a racing snake and of course only a one-ringer in my day so got all the squirmy jobs).  Here's a reminder though, of crawling around in the crankcase of the main engine. Non-marine engineers need to add roasting heat, hot oil rain and extreme discomfort to really enjoy the photo....

My dear sir, regardless of the number of rings carried on my sleeves or shoulders, I always felt that instructing those with less experience than me in what to look for or do was in both party's best interest - something I learnt from a couple of very experienced and forward-thinking senior engineers when I was the proud possessor of one ring, and even earlier!

The oval openings in pressure vessels had dimensions of 450mm wide x 300mm high - you certainy needed to be slim and agile to get in and out and I simply couldn't do that today. The tightness of such apartures did have consequences for a C/E on one ship with dodgy boiler tubes where he was in the water drum, checking for marbles being rolled down prior to fitting plugs when the 2/E in the steam drum "let one rip". The poor 5/E who was assisting in the steam drum consequently felt the urge to get rid of his breakfast so headed to the manhole and promptly dropped the contents of his stomach over the C/E who was leaving the water drum below as he too couldn't take the stench created by the 2/E. As I was looking after the rest of the plant from a safe distance, I found it difficult not to laugh but I did have to get the mess cleaned up afterwards!  

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, TheQ said:

A very long journey.. DE is the two letter code for Deutschland, just checked,  they're in Aschaffenburg, Bavaria. :D

Oh - so its not DE74 2SA (DHL Global at EMA) . . . . . . . 

• Like 7
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, 81C said:

Just lost my first post into cyber space what a ######################################################## web site this is .

SOD IT.

Go on, tell us how you really feel......... :mosking:

and that after losing 'just one'............

Edited by leopardml2341
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Good morning all from a rather misty and grey bit of the world.  The lesser spotted bin lorry has just been and emptied the yellow bin (Black bin day is Friday). 

coming back form Mums I past a bin lorry with four in the front seat. they couldn't have been social distancing by even 2mm!! I guess they have been self isolating together ( I hope for their  and families sake).

Talking of which the draft proposal for returning to work to only be 1m apart in the work place seems odd if outside work we have to be 2M apart. Double standards me thinks. my other half is hopeful to not be returning to the office anytime soon due to the 800 + people all queuing for the lifts for all multiple floors in the building. It had queues in the 'old days'.

• Friendly/supportive 19

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all.

Re - those bemoaning having only one ring.

I was born with just one ring and have always had just one ring.

Is there any advantage to having more than one?

• Funny 16

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, BoD said:

Afternoon all.

Re - those bemoaning having only one ring.

I was born with just one ring and have always had just one ring.

Is there any advantage to having more than one?

Are you Frodo?

• Funny 16

8 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

If you love German, you’ll adore Swiss-German! Even Germans and Austrians have problems understanding an Inner-Schweizer in full flow (even my wife, a Basler born and bred, has difficulty understanding the Swiss German from the inner Swiss Cantons). In fact Swiss TV “Krimis” sold to German TV are sometimes subtitled.

I was flipping through TV channels in a hotel in France trying to find something I could understand when I found a Swedish program. I thought it was a bit odd that they would be broadcasting it in Vienne.

Eventually I realised they were actually speaking German and it was a Swiss TV station.

• Like 3
  • Funny 13