The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

A good and safe crosswind landing is best achieved by approaching with drift on (I.e., pointing sufficiently into wind to fly straight towards the runway) then immediately before touchdown applying rudder to 'kick off' the drift and land on both mainwheels simultaneously.

I've experienced a landing at London City in just such a manner, and boy, was it a crosswind.  I think the woman sitting next to me must've been sh*tting herself, judging by the smell.  Mind you, London City isn't the most forgiving place to get it wrong....

7 hours ago, Andrew P said:

My Wife won't fully celebrate VE Day as her Farther was still FIGHTING the ***** in Burma, and came home a broken man. 

***** = Japanese , but it won't let me put that word in. It was as J a p s.

I never realised until recently that the Japanese Army were also conducting medical experiments:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unit_731

Did the U.S. put any of the perpetrators on Trial?  No - they used the data for their own biological weapons programme...

1 hour ago, PhilJ W said:

The only relative to my knowledge that was lost in action was my mums cousin. He was lost over Cardigan Bay when the Halifax he was piloting collided with another aircraft. Details of what he was doing there are a bit sketchy but it was two months before D-day and I gather they were testing a ground based radar that our commandoes had recently relieved the Germans of, all very hush-hush.

Possibly Trials based at RAE Aberporth?  It's been a missile/rocket firing range since 1941 - quite possible that a radar system could have been positioned there.  I do know that they conducted firings of V1's after the war, having seen the photos.

KZ - I do hope they managed to catch the scrote responsible.  Such lowlife (apart from those suggested punishments previously suggested) should have any right to NHS Treatment (unless it's to cut their b****x off) withdrawn for life.

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 hours ago, Tony_S said:

I must ask MiL how aware she would have been about the war in Europe as a teenager in what was still India then. 

I'm sure her perspective would be interesting. They were turbulent years in India, but I suspect day-to-day life for Indians probably wasn't radically different. Partition was, I suspect, much more traumatic for Indians - it was for people I know.

Gandhi was imprisoned from 1942 to 1944, in part for telling people not to support the Empire's war effort as part of the "Quit India" movement. (He was not an Axis sympathizer but other people in the independence movement were.) By 1944 Jinnah's partition campaign was a big talking point. The independence movement would move quickly between the end of WW2 and partition in 1947.

2.5 Million Indians volunteered to join the British Army. They served in Africa, the Middle East and of course Burma. Like they did in the Great War, the British Indian Army landed at Basra during the invasion of Iraq in 1941. They also served in the joint Anglo-Soviet invasion of Iran in 1941. Iran is rarely mentioned in accounts of the second world war, other than as a footnote to the 1943 Tehran conference - the first time Churchill and FDR would meet Stalin.

POWs captured by the Empire of Japan were 'encouraged' to join the Indian National Army. The INA was led by more radical revolutionary members of the independence movement. They were not well armed but had a destabilizing effect.

VE day is very significant to France where as Jamie noted it is Liberation Day. The course of events that took place between May and August are quite amazing. FDR had died on April 12. Okinawa would fall (but fighting continued) on June 21. Flight Operations for the 509th Composite Bomb group began at Tinian on June 30. The Potsdam conference would begin on July 17 and Churchill would lose the election and be replaced by Attlee on July 28. The Trinity test at Alamogordo happened on July 16. (Truman was briefed on Project Manhattan for the first time on April 24.)

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Informative/Useful 17

• RMweb Premium

I've also been to 'The Blue Anchor' in Helston and sampled their Spingo Special. We'd been told about this pub by some locals we got chatting one time. So the next night a few of set off to find it and we weren't disappointed. It soon became one of our (group of friends) favourite pubs when on holiday in Cornwall. We'd always try and visit it at least once, (but more often than not it was twice) whilst we were down there. 

• Like 15

54 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

Regarding the Big H’s suggestion of the gibbet for the scrote that assaulted KZ’s SiL, I would suggest that putting the scrote into the stocks and letting the community (at a safe social distance) decide how unpleasant the stay in the stocks would be is an appropriate 

I agree that things in the UK have probably gone too far in an attempt to protect the rights of individuals but I don't think anyone would want to see anything like this sort of thing.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/prosecutor-concluded-two-white-men-220346934.html

• Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

So bored now that I am livening up my shopping trips by visiting different supermarkets.

Jeez, you really ARE bored......

1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

Regarding the Big H’s suggestion of the gibbet for the scrote that assaulted KZ’s SiL, I would suggest that putting the scrote into the stocks and letting the community (at a safe social distance) decide how unpleasant the stay in the stocks would be is an appropriate “community sentence” (and very democratic: one man, one rock).

Can Bears (and Hippo's) have a rock too please?  Or even better, several rocks....

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Strange to think that my Dad might have met Jamie's Dad. He did quite a few convoys to/from West Africa. He loved it, especially Dakar, and would have liked to visit there again but never did. 

• Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

2 hours ago, grandadbob said:

OK I won't, they were horrible, said he, lying through his teeth! :yes:

Jam or Cream first........

Having lit the blue touchpaper, I'm outta here :D :D

Beer o'clock.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

The neighbours bored he's mowing the grass again.. 

• Like 10
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, grandadbob said:

OK I won't, they were horrible, said he, lying through his teeth! :yes:

Glad to hear you enjoyed them. My local shop didn't have any scones today but I got a Malt Loaf instead, half of which went down very nicely earlier.

• Like 18
  • Informative/Useful 1

9 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

And probably the most choleric inducing aspect of this terrible state of affairs, is that the bien-pensants that have created this whole mess are, by dint of wealth, position in society and location in the land, isolated and protected from the consequences of their decisions and actions...

Oh f*** I’d now better go get a “chill pill”

Cheers

iD

Sorry are we talking about America’s politics again?

• Like 2
  • Funny 5