The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

I wonder how many of the long serving husbands on ER were enlisted into service early (say early to late 20s, and how many joined up at a later age (anything over 30 years of age).

iD

We fall into the first group. I was 22 and Sheila 23 when we married, we'll clock up 42 years in October. 

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 18

6 hours ago, JohnDMJ said:

I have a problem.

There are many 'coded' messages hereon.

TLAs (Three Letter Acronyms) are great for the informed. PPE i kinda get as 'Personal Protection Equipment' but 'CFR' leaves me out in the cold! LAS, I have worked out as London Ambulance Service, given your location and role.

With respect, some TLAs my not be obvious to outsiders.

CFR?

Community First Responder.

Bill

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Coombe Barton said:

If you have to move one, then if they're connected at the bottom you have to drain both. If connected at the top you don't.

Are you overthinking pannier tanks? :jester:

Coombe Barton 10/0 The Stationmaster 

• Funny 16

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ian Abel said:

Moaning all :(

Apparently I managed to pull a muscle in my back at some point yesterday, meaning I'm rather immobile right now. Sort of staggering around moaning when I try and sit down or stand up. The Mrs has therefore declared I am allowed to do NOTHING but sit quietly, no modelling especially on my hands-and-knees laying the remaining track for the garden railway...

Actually, my on-tap medical advisers tell me to keep moving:  Although they might just be enjoying my suffering from any extra discomfort that brings.

In this neck of the woods, anything on one's hands and knees is called grovelling!

• Like 3
  • Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium

I am sadly a bad advert for marriage!

My first last 16 months before we parted. Second time around it lasted 5 years but third time lucky as we celebrated 18 years in March.

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 9

5 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Coombe Barton 10/0 The Stationmaster 

Two expertise spectra converging, one from an engineering water supply and the other from a water usage point of view. It really isn't obvious. Not until you've tried maintenance on interconnected systems and got very wet. Think also leaks and isolation.

I'm not out to score points, and after all the information that Mike has provided here for free not that kind.

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

Two expertise spectra converging, one from an engineering water supply and the other from a water usage point of view. It really isn't obvious. Not until you've tried maintenance on interconnected systems and got very wet. Think also leaks and isolation.

I'm not out to score points, and after all the information that Mike has provided here for free not that kind.

He started it!

• Funny 15

5 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

That is a real class act.

Especially the saddle lock, necessary, but often omitted, especially on smaller cheaper machines.

The motor drive isn't so classy. I cobbled it together about 28 years ago. I have the bits to do a proper one but somehow I never got ar.........

There are  quite a few "clones" of the South Bend. I seem to remember the metalwork shop at school had Boxfords.

http://www.lathes.co.uk/southbend/page7.html

Here are a couple of compound gears from my lathe. They are not quite the same (ignore the three holes someone drilled in one.)  For those who enjoy Stationmaster challenges:

What's the difference?

Why (with proof)?

DSCN4895.JPG.3c9d4e1c437b9b23f1a9e0dbf5c6d62f.JPG

• Like 10

8 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

New Neighbour (Next Door) has introduced herself and tells us she "loves all the flowers" in an accent I am not quite familiar with but which may be north-west Canadian.

That's a curiously specific accent diagnosis Rick. What other clues suggest the Yukon? Or is it the Northwest Territories?

Perhaps she is Inuit?

My ability to place an accent (without visual ethnic clues) has changed considerably. I believe a low ability to place an accent is true for many people who live in the western states of the US. There is a 'standard' western accent, (think US television shows) but the high proportion of people who come from somewhere else means there is a lot of American English as a second language so people are more accustomed to identifying accents from Latin America and Asia.

Many non-US English speakers can easily distinguish the southern hemisphere English accents (like South Africa, New Zealand and Australia) but unless the Afrikaans aspect is pronounced but I find it less true here. People struggle to place my trans-Pacific voice, but they usually guess correctly.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, grandadbob said:

Also can't believe this was 50 years ago:

922314876_2020-06-11_152241.jpgChrisBobWedding.jpg2.jpg.d5d9c41ac46736f470e029b353e5f08f.jpg

Congratulations GDB.

Shoes could do with a polish...:jester:

When my best mate (RIP Dan :( ) got married, he'd painted "HE" and "LP" on the soles of his shoes with Tippex.  When bride & groom knelt in front of the Vicar the congregation fell about.....

Vicar wasn't in on the joke until later.

12 hours ago, TheQ said:

I'd love that lathe,  I wonder how many perfectly good lathes were scrapped without offering them for sale.. 

All those British engineering firms, colleges, schools etc. etc. :(

So hundreds of thousands, at a fair guess.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 2

13 minutes ago, AndyID said:

The motor drive isn't so classy. I cobbled it together about 28 years ago. I have the bits to do a proper one but somehow I never got ar.........

There are  quite a few "clones" of the South Bend. I seem to remember the metalwork shop at school had Boxfords.

Here are a couple of compound gears from my lathe. They are not quite the same (ignore the three holes someone drilled in one.)  For those who enjoy Stationmaster challenges:

What's the difference?

Why (with proof)?

I seem to remember that the late Fred Dibnah had a lathe almost exactly like that, but slightly larger. It might have been a Cincinnati though, which must have an interesting story about how it ended up in Bolton.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, AndyID said:

What's the difference?

Why (with proof)?

Gear ratios, for starters.  One has 17T on the smaller gear, the other 18T.

Do I win I prize?  The Southbend would be acceptable....

• Like 11
  • Funny 3

2 minutes ago, polybear said:

Gear ratios, for starters.  One has 17T on the smaller gear, the other 18T.

Do I win I prize?  The Southbend would be acceptable....

Correct.

For maximum credit why is that (and please submit a proof).

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
Just now, AndyID said:

Correct.

For maximum credit why is that (and please submit a proof).

Not sure how to submit proof, but I'd say for screwcutting processes.  Different gears for different threads

• Like 9
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, AndyID said:

What's the difference?

Why (with proof)?

I was sad enough to count all the teeth so you have  a 54/17 on the left and a 54/18 on the right.

(I see the Bear beat me to it)

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 2
  • Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I was sad enough to count all the teeth so you have  a 54/17 on the left and a 54/18 on the right.

:sungum:

• Like 3
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Jolly good! Now why would that be? :)

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1