The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

That picture is lovely Q. It brings back so many happy memories of Easter holidays on the Broads. The only type of sailing craft I havd ever sailed, or poled along.  On my last trip at the tender age of 17 our skipper got rushed to hospital with appendicitis and I was left in charge for the rest of the day with 4 younger teenagers as crew.  I even managed OK and didn't hit anything. Happy days.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, TheQ said:

It's £39 pounds here for 1 to 3 items and non refundable. So any reason to cancel or delay and you've lost your money. 

Please don't mention HH bags,  I'll get bombarded by yellow adverts again. 

You've prompted me to take a look - £29 for one, £39 for two, £49 for three.  The best news is I discovered that they do half a van load for £75, so that's looking good for getting rid of the old kitchen and plaster off the walls :)  Half the price of a H***o bag, and I'll get rid of more that way too

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

That picture is lovely Q. It brings back so many happy memories of Easter holidays on the Broads. The only type of sailing craft I havd ever sailed, or poled along.  On my last trip at the tender age of 17 our skipper got rushed to hospital with appendicitis and I was left in charge for the rest of the day with 4 younger teenagers as crew.  I even managed OK and didn't hit anything. Happy days.

Jamie

If you fancy another trip there are just four places now doing hire sailing craft. 

https://www.eastwood-whelpton.co.uk/holidays/familyholidays

https://www.marthamboats.com

https://www.broadssailingholidays.co.uk/

And the historic fleet at https://www.huntersyard.co.uk/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 11

Morning all.

Aches have somewhat subsided overnight, although I may have exceeded the 20 minute limit recounted byou Simon. By about 2.5 hrs. But the job had to be completed and it us now looking good ok. 

Nice curry last night - chicken pathia with lemon rice.

Trying to summon up the enthusiasm to do some work on the layout later.  

Have a good one everybody.

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, TheQ said:

If you fancy another trip there are just four places now doing hire sailing craft. 

https://www.eastwood-whelpton.co.uk/holidays/familyholidays

https://www.marthamboats.com

https://www.broadssailingholidays.co.uk/

And the historic fleet at https://www.huntersyard.co.uk/

Thanks for that Q.  The yard wss just below the bridge at Potter Heigham on the west side of the river but I can't remember the name. No motors though slept 4 teens plus an adult.  They had a fleet of 10 and the group that organised it hired all 10 plus a motor cruiser and a launch with seats for us all for evening meetings. Very well organised.

Somehow I doubt that I'll ever get the chance again.

Jamie

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone 

It's raining, not heavy but it's wet just the same. So, after a late breakfast I'm now in the workshop about to start working on the control panel once again. 

JSB. The road at the top right of the is a ramp for the coaling area, the only loco using that would be propelling trucks to the top. The line directly below is for locos being coaled. 

Stay safe, stay sane, enjoy whatever you have planned for the day, back later. 

Brian 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Seeing all this talk of the Norfolk Btoads I have been reading a series of crime novels based in that area. The hero, a DI is based at Wroxham police station. However, as yet, I have seen no mention of Q's "Effin Clown Town" :D

Dave

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

...snip... I've always wanted to drive one of those zero turn mowers, but never got the chance.

Well, if you are ever in the area, give my a shout. :yahoo_mini:

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

I remember when lawnmower racing and tractor pulling was televised when Sky was in its infancy early to mid 90s i cant remember wether it was Eurosport or the now defunct Screensports, whom i seem to recall used to show sports that wouldn't be classed as mainstream.

Our gardeners at work had some ride on mowers called Grillos that were low slung they would have made really good Go karts 

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Gold

G'day all,

Some showers are promised on the Exeter seaweed infinite improbability scale so we'll just do what we normally do and watch the sky to see what it portends.

Dinner yesterday evening consumed tomatoes as part of a 'Provençal' sauce instead of the usual sausage casserole base - and it was rather tasty so will no doubt be repeated as art of teh continuing attack against the South Oxfordshire tomato mountain.  Taking away larger things courtesy of the District Council is minimum charge £40 for up to three items then £8 for any additional items up to a maximum of  a further two items. clearly the sensible policy of disposing of things like cupboards is to fill them up with as much rubbish as you can find in order to maximise value for money because 40 quid strikes me as a bit on the steep side.  I could on the other hand support steam restoration and get one of Mr Hazell's expensive skips but alas the delivering/collecting vehocle comes with an infernal combustion engine (that isn't powered by steam).

No other major, or minor plans are currently conjured up for today but it will n be necessary to check the email for the plumber's invoices and then transfer them PDQ to the management for settlement - deep joy all round but at least there is some evidence of drying in the external part of the walls.  We (the Good Doctor and I) are also wondering if the 'making good' part of things will include rebuilding the back door step which we demolished in our search for the source of the water, that might save us a job?

Have a good day one ad all and still try to stay safe.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

Thanks for that Q.  The yard wss just below the bridge at Potter Heigham on the west side of the river but I can't remember the name. No motors though slept 4 teens plus an adult.  They had a fleet of 10 and the group that organised it hired all 10 plus a motor cruiser and a launch with seats for us all for evening meetings. Very well organised.

Somehow I doubt that I'll ever get the chance again.

Jamie

That's Herbert Woods, https://www.herbertwoods.co.uk/, no sailing craft any more. 

Group sailing hire these days are done with the historic fleet at Womack, they used the be the Norfolk Schools fleet,  before they decided sailing was too elitist, and disposed of them.  That's when the Norfolk heritage fleet was set up. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 11

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Danemouth said:

Seeing all this talk of the Norfolk Btoads I have been reading a series of crime novels based in that area. The hero, a DI is based at Wroxham police station. However, as yet, I have seen no mention of Q's "Effin Clown Town" :D

Dave

That's clever, there isn't a cop shop in Wroxham.. It's in Effin clown town.. 

Do they mention Roy's?  The cop shop is next door... 

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon awl,, 

Tasks aforementioned on the boat were partly carried out,  the fillet was installed one side of the cockpit  but not the capping.  By the time I'd made the measure all the pieces there wasn't time. 

I did sand the number board,  that will get coats of varnish when others are done. 

The hull was partly  painted I suspect one more coat will do it for the upper foot of the sides,  but I'm running short of the paint,  it will get expensive during the week.. 

Mid morning they collected the combine,  went to the next field,  the previously partly harvested one. This meant a diversion later for Ben the I hate noises collie,  as the combine was just the other side of the lanes hedge...  A shorter route was travelled.  I can still hear them rumbling away,  5 hours later. 

• Like 14