RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

So far I have managed to get back to about 1601 for two branches of the family. I have found some relations who are still alive who none of us knew about!

We have also confirmed some relatives who were always sure about being relatives but not sure why - their grandad was a late edition to the family - he had a lot of older brother and sisters!

The search has been helped by finding some very useful birth certificates -and, unfortunately a World War 1 Medal handed out posthumously to  one of my Grandmothers brothers - a Lance Corporal in the Durham Light Infantry in 1915.  (Later his brother was killed in Dunkirk in 1940 - NCO in the Royal Artillery).

I have found odd bits of cash around (including a will for £109 in 1701 - the skills in the family include stone masonry, shoe manufacture, tayloring, mining, publicans and landsmanship - working for the Percy Family.

Baz

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. I have tried to trace one branch of my family back, the family from Gravesend. One would think that as son followed father into the same trade for generations it would be easier. The trade was waterman on the lower reaches of the Thames and the estuary. Sadly the records only go back to 1666, the great fire of London when all of the records were destroyed. I have made contact with a different branch of the family that have their own group on Facebook. They are distant cousins, at least six generations from a common ancestor. A few weeks ago a photo of one of their family was posted, and he was the spitting image of my brother!

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold
On 21/08/2020 at 12:38, Joseph_Pestell said:

Wet and windy here in North Herefordshire.

And very windy at 5am when I remembered that I had left all the parasols out last night!

Where are they now?

This above one did not post at the time, probably will now and the one following it that added to this  ... disappeared into thin air.  I will post then do another one.

• Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Gold
On 21/08/2020 at 12:38, Joseph_Pestell said:

Wet and windy here in North Herefordshire.

And very windy at 5am when I remembered that I had left all the parasols out last night!

Where are they now?

Not sure what is happening, the next post didn't and this one has come up again.  Best wishes for a speedy recovery to Dave H and thoughts with Tony and Aditi.

The items read were family trees, helicopters and tanks not forgetting the weather and the 'sights' that increase blood pressure.

Cannot remember the rest but will post this now ...

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

My father told me that some of my mother's aunts (?) had the family tree looked at . Since they were Stewarts they were hoping to put a claim in on Edinburgh Castle or something.  The search was terminated when they reached The Black Douglas and Rob Roy.

The other side of the family apparently had to flee some city in north England for union activity.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Mooring awl,  inner Temple Hare, 

5 hours sleep plus 3 hours intermittent dozing,  

Ben the unsettled Collie had a bad night,  although he went back to his old routine,  of following me up to bed spending some time on the floor at the foot of the bed,  then returning to his own bed.  When I resumed my place on the sofa he kept getting up, going to sleep In the doorway,  then getting up and going back to bed. 

The marquee was secured ready for the next batch of wind and rain to arrive.  My hands and the forecast agree its on its way.  On days like this I look forward to plunging my hands in the just filled sink of hot is water it brings great relief.. 

As for family history the direct male line was traced by Dad to 1553 but it's highly  likely that this then goes to the royal house of Stewart.  Therefore at around that point it might be  I'm related to BR60103.

There is a definite DNA test that proves a direct connection to Robert the Bruce's brother,  but it's a locos worth of money to prove it. 50% of all with the  Stewart surname have proved to have that connection. 

Time to get up and go to work.. 

• Like 18
  • Informative/Useful 1