The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Morning, sunny and still sur le rock, feels most odd.

Belated wishes to Beth, I have been a little pre-occupied this weekend and not on here much.

I use an Omron BP monitor, same as we used to use......in the NHS!  It is accurate enough for home use when occasionally compared with the surgery result.

As for diabetes blood glucose monitors, it was something that hugely annoyed me on diagnosis when told I didn't need one, but then got lectured an what and what not to eat etc.  The only way you can tell, is a check (90 to 120 minutes) after eating!  So I bought one myself as recommended on the various forums, and boy am I glad I did as my results quickly showed that many of the foodstuffs I was told I could eat were actually quite bad for me.  'Eat to your Meter' is the mantra on the forums (diabetes.co.uk highly recommended) and it enabled me to control my blood glucose very quickly without medication.  The 'Desmond' course T2's get sent on still recommends all sorts of things as OK that would have had me on medication and risking my health.  Every diabetic is different, and what one can eat the next cannot, hence monitoring is essential IMHO.  Most diabetics die of cardiac issues, rather than the other longer terms things that go wrong.  /rant.

Totally agree Neil.

It's all down to finding out your optimum carb requirements and never eating too much of one type. Also lots of protein because it slows digestion. I now have the ultimate, an insulin pump with constant glucose monitoring and  can now see whats happening 24/7.

The trick of course is to keep moving and burn it off. Two border collies and a mountain help tremendously. My endocrinologist is very happy, he wouldn't even tickle my feet last time.

To all diabetics I would heed closely to the instruction given by your health team and if you're not happy go find a different team. Take the time to learn about food and how it affects your blood glucose. Say goodbye to piles of mash, big plates of spaghetti  and cake (unless you're planing on a 20 mile bike ride or climbing  Ben Nevis) .

After thirty years I'm still learning.

Regards Shaun.

Edited by Sasquatch
DKA...
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

I do lie to see chicken running about but we also decided that it would be a major imposition on them whenever we are away so we decided against it - plus of courses foxes are about.  However I still enjoy seeing one a plate, nicely roast.

Roasted fox?

I think that Mike is actually a Gruffalo!

• Funny 16

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Aditi has always wanted chickens. However she knows it isn’t really possible here. We have been on holiday and chickens running about are a major attraction. 

We always had chickens in Australia.  Local laws generally allow six hens in a backyard (garden) but no roosters.  We had all sorts from bantam leghorns - don't let the word "bantam" fool you, these are big birds and merely smaller than a "standard" leghorn - through silkie x to the delightfully docile Isa Browns.  

The one we couldn't find which might have been enjoyed was a tandoori :jester: 

Can't have them here.  I would if we could.  It appears one requires a livestock licence and more space than a communal lawn shared with 28 other flats!  

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 17

• RMweb Premium
On 12/09/2020 at 11:47, PhilJ W said:

Morning all from Estuary-Land. I can vouch for the inaccuracy of BP readings.

Bear here.....

A guy I worked with once had a bit of a habit for having bad nose bleeds, often involving the Works Occy Health Dept. to intervene.  On one occasion they were unable to stop said bleed, so off the A&E he went.

Nurse took his BP, and then announced the machine must be busted so got a second machine, which also "must be busted".  A third machine was tried, and then a doc was asked to check.  He used the old fashioned gadget; the reading was so high he calmly said to the patient "you should be dead....."

Don't pass go, don't collect two hundred quid.....we've a bed for you.....

In other news:

All this talk of C19 testing problems doesn't appear to affect Bears.  I've just been invited to take part in a study for the ONS - they came to my house on saturday and did a doorstep C-19 test, plus a few questions.  They're back every saturday for the next four weeks to repeat the process, then once a month.  All to help the great cause, apparently.  They apparently also give me a fifty quid voucher for the first visit, plus 25 for each subsequent visit.  No idea what the vouchers are for though - knowing my luck it'll be bl00dy make-up or something.  A voucher for High Level Kits or South Eastern Finecast may be a little hopeful....

I also get a bit of a C-19 MOT regularly too, which isn't to be sneezed at.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Morning all, ...snip... And sadly it has lost the small key to turn the shaft which adjusts the pendulum tension though a series of bevel gears. ...snip... Fangio the cat.  ...snip... stay healthy, Douglas

Various sizes of clock keys should be readily available. Oh, I do not think that the clock lost anything, it must have been the clockers! :jester:

• Like 10
  • Agree 1

This page (https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/229-early-risers/page/9021/) is currently offline. However, because the site uses Cloudflare's Always Online™ technology you can continue to surf a snapshot of the site. We will keep checking in the background and, as soon as the site comes back, you will automatically be served the live version. Always Online™ is powered by Cloudflare | Hide this Alert 

This showed up today!:mellow:

Brian.

• Like 8
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Managed to do a bit of gardening today until the heat called a halt. It also bought out the grasshoppers and a ladybird. There won't be much gardening done tomorrow but it will be cooler later in the week. I've installed the 'Old layout for Facebook' and they even have their own group (on Farcebook!) where they explain that the changes are taking place for mobile phone and tablet users. 

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, BokStein said:

Eggsactly!

2 hours ago, Coombe Barton said:

Chickens don't get jokes - they have a fowl sense of humour.

59 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

Aspect - what you get if you sit in a chicken run.

55 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

Eggasperated at the humour

52 minutes ago, Coombe Barton said:

Heard of the film about the lawyer's chicken census? Brief Encounter.

There seems to be a competition here to see who can get the most groans on a post. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 13
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, brianusa said:

This page (https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/229-early-risers/page/9021/) is currently offline. However, because the site uses Cloudflare's Always Online™ technology you can continue to surf a snapshot of the site. We will keep checking in the background and, as soon as the site comes back, you will automatically be served the live version. Always Online™ is powered by Cloudflare | Hide this Alert 

This showed up today!:mellow:

Brian.

I'm having trouble posting as well.

• Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

There seems to be a competition here to see who can get the most groans on a post. 

We have been asking for it for ages.  Don't wear it out already! 

7 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

I'm having trouble posting as well.

Yes.  522 Timeout error on most requests or very slow response when I do get in.  Mr. York has been alerted.  

• Like 11
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Evening All,

Busy day at work so haven’t be keeping up to date.  Half day tomorrow and Wednesday then we’ll have to see. Manager off on compassionate leave so things very much up in the air.

Called of at supermarket on way home. Got cider, crisps, smoked cheese and this months R.M so  I’m ok for a few days now.

Having an early night so goodnight,

Robert

• Like 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11

51 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Perhaps they just want a feather in their cap?

36 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

We have been asking for it for ages.  Don't wear it out already!

Shows how much it was needed, though!

• Like 2
  • Agree 10

Greetings all from Sidcup which probably basked in the September sun; but i was in the aircon equipped office collecting a work laptop ( which I am not using currently). We finally managed to complete a deal I have been helping on with about 15 minutes to a drop dead moment; relieved people all round. There were about two dozen in our office which puts our floor at about 10% capacity.  The train journey was not that pleasant- masked and hot but not too crowded.

tomorrow sees the start of Operation Replace the Conservatory which will take three days or so and should give us something that is not too hot in summer and too cold in winter and so is actually usable. We shall see in time! 

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, simontaylor484 said:

Rant mode on 

So booked covid test took youngest in car all 25 miles to Bradford found testing site ok had to go round and turn round to join the queue. Gets to front of q some body stood there with a board saying get ready to show qr code. What qr code says i , gate person "you should have been sent a qr code " well I have a booking luckily I screenshots screen nd show it. Sorry not on system sir , you have no booking obviously i have. Looks like the system had crashed during my booking. I came away because there was no way they were going to let me in even though it was a 10 year old child with autism.My wife tried to ring the helpline can't get through

It's a shambles an absolute disgrace Nhs 111 are forcing you virtually to get tested for covid when you have a viral once but there are no test slots.

Rant over 

Please make sure you get a we code before bothering to turn up even though on the confirmation screen it never told you you would require a code.

They take other information from you so you would never Think you would need anything else 

So at least the car has had a run i have been out for first time I. Months time for a tea and a nice smoke 

I think that is disgusting, maybe you should bring it to the attention of your Member of Parliament - send him/her an email to start with.

Keith

• Agree 15