The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

So 747s. My first trip was Rome to Tokyo back when I popped over quite regularly. The 747 was decorated in the Baci style which was, erm, different.  It was a bit on the rickety side and the in-flight movie screen was around 30 feet away. Not too bad but the cabin crew settled down to watch the film and blocked my view. 

Cathay's 747 was a different kettle of fish. Smart aircraft and professional cabin service. HK to Tokyo. 

BA never again. 

Virgin Atlantic - excellent.  

Brize Norton Airways (Tristar) - highly rated for their bacon sarnies.

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, grandadbob said:

Further to my previous post Steve being Steve and into all things IT and technological  has two "Catcams" set up so he gets an alert when the cat wants to come in and another one pointing to the inside of the back door so he knows when it wants to go out!

If he likes geeky cat stuff and uses Twitter he might like @DaphneFlap a Raspberry Pi powered bot that generates a salutation whenever Daphne the cat enters or leaves.   

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 10

• RMweb Premium

First 747 flight..Heathrow to Kl Boing Always..

Quite a few trips to the States...one included the Herbert's who had a trip to the flight deck...

Last 747 flight.heathrow to Singapore

Prefer the 747 to a 777 due to the better flight characteristics of the Jumbo.. no where as good as the A380..and the A350 types are good.

BT have failed to get her indoors sim card to work...talk for tomorrow..pah!

Baz

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

I flew BA 747 back when BA were good....AirNZ were good, TWA disgusting, Middle East Airlines...errr....budget perhaps would be polite, but stunning cabin crew on old 720B's.  Swissair, yes OK, KLM good, PanAm awful.  Must have flown others but it all fades.....oh yeah Quantas, average.  All these are years ago of course, nowadays it has usually been Flymaybe, but they're Flynotatall now!

PS - DanDare....how could I forget dear ol DanAir!

• Like 15

Evening, the day turned out quite nice, we went for a walk to the Lighthouse at Montrose, took my camera hoping for a Dolphin, but none to be seen, went for a wander in the forest later, which was quiet as well, a sort of busy doing nothing sort of day..............which was nice.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, simontaylor484 said:

Just caught up with the last episode of Mr 'erriot quite enjoyed it so far hope they commission further series. Its quite plesant to watch no swearing or violence 

A second series is supposedly being planned.

Adrian

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Dinner was chicken and mushroom pie and chips, no use by date lottery tonight. My first overseas flight was with Dan-Air, in a Comet that went straight to the scrapyard when we got home. The captain informed us that it was that particular aircrafts last trip for Dan-Air. That was for a Musical Beds Club 18-30 holiday in Greece, for the sake of decency I will say no more ^_^. The next years holiday was to Malta, I can't remember what aircraft it was, possibly a Trident. The next year was the longest haul flight I had ever been on, 10 hours to Barbados in a Caribbean Airlines 707 though there was nothing Caribbean except the name on the outside as it was 'wet-leased' from BA IIRC. Only thing was there was no film for technical reasons and the flight was a bit boring. Which I am probably doing to you all so I'll be back later.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 17
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Evening all,

Have a good away time Rick - Cornwall so far looks safe and don't forger that Kernow's Camborne branch is currently click & c'lect as the shop is still closed to punters due to the impossibility of arranging the necessary distancing.

747 - only three trips.  LHR to Sydney and back with BA in one of their machines and upgraded to Club on the outward which was pretty good return in Cattle Plus wasn't too uncomfortable but the 'food' loaded at Sydney was near inedible although the re-suppluy at Bangkok wasn't too bad.  Next trip to Aus was in Cathay Pacific's Business Class on a 747 top deck and the service was top rate as was the Business lounge in HK.  The return trip was on an A340 and it was like a different world - far quieter than the 747 and much more comfy again with top notch cabin service.

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone 

Well the seaweed twirlers got it right and the weather was indeed fine enough for me to spend most of it outside. I managed to get the shelving rebuilt and installed back in the shed just after 12 o’clock. However, before I put it back into the shed, I needed to remove quite a bit of stuff, such as pressure washer, wheelbarrow, bags of compost etc, oh and my bike. Once clear I decided to sweep the floor as it’s a lot easier when the floor is clear. I then started restocking it and was about halfway trough when I took a break for dinner. The task was completed after dinner and the extra shelf has made a big difference, it looks a lot tidier and there’s a lot less wasted space between the shelves too. It also means that I’ve been able to move stuff from the cellar and from the workshop to the shed, slowly but surely the cellar is starting to be emptied!

Goodnight all. 

• Like 14
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

I flew BA 747 back when BA were good....AirNZ were good, TWA disgusting, Middle East Airlines...errr....budget perhaps would be polite, but stunning cabin crew on old 720B's.  Swissair, yes OK, KLM good, PanAm awful.  Must have flown others but it all fades.....oh yeah Quantas, average.  All these are years ago of course, nowadays it has usually been Flymaybe, but they're Flynotatall now!

PS - DanDare....how could I forget dear ol DanAir!

You have not really flown unless you flew NavAir C-130! :good_mini:

• Like 7
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

At the risk of censure,

Recent televised political "debates" made me think of a sketch where "The category is Answering the Question after This one".

Or possibly Answering the Question you Wanted to be Asked.

• Like 2
  • Agree 8
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium

Mooring awl,  inner Temple Hare, 

4 hours, long gap unable to get comfortable,  1 hour,  rollover 1 hour... 

Ben the I want out Collie took me on patrol,  he didn't find anything to chase,  but had a good snuffle around. 

This was to the tune of the deer rut in the distance,  and a strange squawlking bird nearby. 

It's cold clear but still dark outside.  No wind,  and if it stays that way I'll be up a ladder fitting roof tiles.. 

The landrover needs unloading into the garage,  I may look at the alleyway entrance to see if it's dry enough to work on if it's not, then to the garage for shelf building.. 

Breakfast and a Muggacoffee is imminent,  

Time to... Think of heading to the kitchen. 

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

Ey up! Time to be a human dartboard for our flu jabs today. All neing wwll I will walk back from the parish centre (as this is pro tem, our flu jab administration building) ..we may see some of the crew of the Marie Celeste.....which is still not open to visitors.. neither is our dentist for anything other than "emergencies ". My broken tooth will stay that way for a while.

It looks like it could rain today.. hopefully I wonthave to pump the garden out again..it now has rhe consistenct of Flanders mud...

On our list of missing ERs I omitted two who have occassionally graced us with a visit. @Natalie and @Kelly..I hope they are both ok?

Have a grand day everyone.. round 2 of baz v BT today...

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 17
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Dry at the moment and the sun has made an appearance.  Should be fine for most of the day but rain is forecast later this afternoon.

We "need" to visit Sainsbury's this morning (no real surprise there) as magazines are required by her Bossness and she can't rely on the online shoppers not to pick out of date ones.

The G word is being bandied about but I'll let her get on with that and I may visit my inner sanctum and contemplate the muddle that is my er.... muddle!

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 19