RMweb

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Bright and sunny this morning but predicted to cloud over with the odd shower later, but whatever its going to be chilly. Q, that strange screeching you heard could possibly be a hoopoe, one has been spotted in your part of the world recently. I could be completely wrong as I know very little about birds. Thats it for now, be back later.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Bright and sunny this morning but predicted to cloud over with the odd shower later, but whatever its going to be chilly. Q, that strange screeching you heard could possibly be a hoopoe, one has been spotted in your part of the world recently. I could be completely wrong as I know very little about birds. Thats it for now, be back later.

A hoopoe is eating all the bugs at Collingham Cricket ground at the moment...twitchers are delighted!

Baz

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Barry O said:

A hoopoe is eating all the bugs at Collingham Cricket ground at the moment...twitchers are delighted!

Baz

We get them in our garden each year they look lovely.

Jamie

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, Barry O said:

me to email them (their phone lines are always full perhaps they should find out why??)

Is their online chat still available? I used that contact option when I had sim problems (failure to register). 
Edit
I have just checked and the online chat with an advisor option seems to have gone. 
Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I’m now back from the butchers, all the meat is safely stored away. It started to rain as I walked there, but it wasn’t heavy, good job really as I’d not put a coat or jacket on, mind you, I rarely do, it’s got to be really chuckinitdarn or cold for that! I’m now sat perusing topics on rmweb with muggertea No2. 

• Like 18

8 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

You have not really flown unless you flew NavAir C-130! :good_mini:

Does a Malta Air MIL-MI8 count? (ex USSR military [I think] from Malta airport to Gozo and return).
It was certainly the loudest helicopter I’ve ever flown in and, unlike the other helicopters I’ve had the enjoyment of travelling in, it was the only chopper flight where heavy duty ear protection gear was mandatory. Sadly, because I really enjoy flying by helicopter, I have had more fixed-wing flights in a greater number of types of fixed-wing aircraft than I ever have had with helicopters. Although I’ve flown most of the big names of the time (Sikorsky, Westland, Aerospatiale, Augusta), and I’ve probably had more chopper flights than most people, but I’ve not flown as many (or as much) as I would have liked.
Many years ago, when I invested a few pennies in a biotech start-up (which, sadly, went nowhere), I had dreams of the company going IPO and with my resulting millions (ha ha) buy either a helicopter or a plane with a fairly decent range (e.g. UK - US for the plane). Tragically (sob, sob) my dreams were dashed and the closest I have ever been to owning a helicopter or a plane is acquiring the Airfix equivalent.
Mind you, even if I had won the “business investment lottery”, I don’t think I would have gotten approval from Mrs ID for the purchase. As, quite rightly, she said that buying it was one thing, maintaining it and covering the expenditures for it was another. I know that many on ER have a significant other that grumbles, more or less good-naturedly, about expenditures on model railways, but in comparison with flying, sailing and riding (equestrianism), our yearly, cumulative, model railway spend is mere peanuts.

Now, if you will excuse me I have to dash down to the Ticino to see a man about a second hand Alpi Syton AH 130, which he claimed was used by a careful old lady pilot only for transporting her grandchildren to the seaside on weekends.

Cheers

iD

p.s. See here: http://www.alpiaviation.com/en/models.htm?mod=Syton AH 130 Helicopter

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, polybear said:

Bear's best 747 memory is getting a visit to the flight deck during a flight to Mumbai.  Sadly such visits are now a distant memory following 9-11.

Likewise in a BA 747-400 from Hong Kong to Beijing.

Landing at Kai-Tak was fun coming in over the city and then later taking off over the harbour to Beijing.

We didn't experience the same on the return as we went direct from Beijing to Frankfurt (in a fairly empty 747 - three seats to myself)

I did the Everett factory visit and saw the first of the 747-8 freighters was being bolted together. 2009 I think.

(The very first Dreamliner 787 was on the apron as it had just started test flights.)

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

I make no apologies for lifting this from the Model Engineering page:

The 2020 John Stevenson Trophy

The Stephenson Trophy Competition 2020

If a year ago anyone had suggested that this year’s Stephenson Trophy would be just about the only national competition for hobby engineering, I would have thought it was a ridiculous suggestion. Alas, as well as causing loss and hardship for people across the UK and elsewhere, Covid-19 has upset so many other aspects of our everyday lives. For us not least among these are depriving us of the fellowship of club meetings and exhibitions, although online forums and the now ubiquitous online conferencing have gone some way to keeping us all connected with like-minded hobbyists.

This is the third year of the competition, the trophy being funded by readers and members of the www.model-engineer.co.uk forum in memory of John Stevenson. In accordance with John’s feelings about competitions and ‘glass case models’, all entries must be a piece of practical workshop equipment i.e. a tool, jig, fixture or a modification to or accessory for an existing piece of equipment. Criteria for inclusion on the shortlist was that the tooling must be practical and capable of being used for accurate work in a home workshop setting. It should demonstrate ingenuity, good design, economical use of materials and be appropriately finished for its function. The decision on which wins is up to you, all readers of MEW and forum members can vote (note you don’t need to be a forum member to vote).

The voting form is at the bottom of this page. Closing date is Halloween, 31 October.

The John Stevenson Trophy was 'crowdfunded' by forum users and MEW readers in memory of John Stevenson, one of the mainstays of the forum, who passed away in 2017. I'm sure John would have enjoyed seeing all the entries and discussing their merits!

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 9

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, polybear said:

the seventy quid Pipe Bender

In one of those “what a coincidence” things I found lots of plumbing tools including a bending spring today when I was looking for a box spanner to undo the nut in the middle of a sink hole (basket trap size). It wasn’t there so I progressed to the socket sets purchased back when I did my own car maintenance. 

• Like 19

I think I might have been in more helicopters than fixed wing, in the early 1980's Chinooks were used to ferry us out to the North Sea oil rigs, then Sikorskys/Sea Kings et al were used as taxis between the rigs, my favourite way to fly, noisy yes, but I'd have one in a shot. Some of the pilots were not long back from flying in Vietnam, better than any fairground ride lol. Although the old Shorts shoe boxes that flew us back and forth between Dyce and Donnington came close, un pressurised flying old school.

• Like 18
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Went to Tess Coes for a 'big shop' as I'd received a double points card recently I made the most of it. One purchase was a stollen cake though its debatable as to whether or not it will last until Christmas ^_^. When I got home Arthur Itis started kicking up quite a fuss, in fact I could barely move it was so bad but it stopped about an hour later when it started raining. Dinner to be got ready, be back later.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 14